Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #76  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

OK, time for my mini-egg-rant!

There is nothing wrong with eating whole eggs! Egg yolks contain good things! Yes, it is the good cholesterol. Second, egg yolks contain lutein (which is why they are yellow!), and lutein is good for protecting eyesight. Now, I realize that the yolks do add to the calorie count. 1 whole egg = 70 cals, 1 egg white = 15 cals. But you know what, I'd rather leave out butter or bread than eat egg whites.

OK, end of rant.

I ate the egg white omelets too for about six weeks, until the day came when I could not eat another one! I never did like egg white, and that six week period was the last straw!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #77  
Meg

One whole egg + four egg whites = the best of both worlds. Six years, every day, and I'm not tired of them yet.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #78  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Okay, it's official, these chat threads move too fast for me and I'm completely lost. ^_^; But just for the sake of butting in, I want to say that I too don't hesitate to eat egg yolks. And what Meg does seem to be a nice solution. The only problem I have with it (in my case, I mean, not in general) is: what to do with the yolks, except bake something? (And baking is the work of the devil, especially when you live alone and risk bingeing on the whole stuff alone as well ) I know there are some kind of eggs sold without the yolks, but I've never found any where I live--and somehow, I'm not at ease with the idea of buying something I could all in all make myself, without the risk of having it been processed along the way.

So, if there's anything healthy I can do with the yolks, I'm willing to give it a try.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #79  
Meg

I'm lazy and buy Eggbeaters but you say that's not an option for you. Hmm, some people talk about feeding the yolks to their pets -- do you have one?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Are Eggbeaters any good? I've never had them, but I remember my grandfather ate them years and years ago - he had heart disease and it was part of his diet regimen. I also remember thinking they smelled funny, but I was only 4 years old. I'd like to make myself an omelet that doesn't require much work and still doesn't have much fat.

Kery, I have no idea what you should do with the yolks. I always just threw them away if I was eating egg whites only. I'm wasteful.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 09-27-2007 at 03:39 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #81  

I don't have a pet any more, no (which is too bad, but in 20 sqm, that'd be a little harsh on the poor thing...). But now that you've mentioned this, maybe I can feed them to my neighbours, though. It's a building full of students, so nobody would turn down free food.

Eggbeaters was the thing I had in mind. I haven't found any here, which isn't surprising in itself, considering which side of the Atlantic I'm on. And I don't know if alternatives do exist here, because I only have small supermarkets around, not the big ones that carry really everything. (As long as the stuff isn't processed, I can 'make an effort'; I just don't want to find myself with something that in the end would be worse than eating the yolks as well, if this makes sense.)
Old 09-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've heard of those who hard boil their eggs and only eat the whites and put the yolks outside for the birds. I imagine the birds would eat them scrambled, also.

Personally, I don't like the taste of Eggbeaters. Something artificial about the yellow color when you know there are no yolks in there (but it could be all psychological). I prefer to buy just whites. There are several different brands--some in the same kind of carton as Eggbeaters (and another that comes in a glass jar that is REALLY hard to pour from--I don't buy them any more).

Although I really, really like whole egg omelets, when I cook one just for myself I use only whites. If I cook for DS and DH, we each get two whole eggs (and if I cut too many veggies, I supplement with extra whites).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Boy, I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread too! Thanks, Meg, for saying that we shouldn't feel like we have to respond to everyone. I read everything everyone says and think of lots of things to say but then by the time I get to the reply box, I have forgotten half (or almost all) of it! Sheesh!

Anyway, I'll try, so about the eggs. I frequently hard boil eggs and put the whites and some of the yolks in my salad. The remaining yolk I give to doggy, who loves them. I tell her they are good for her coat. I don't know if that's true, but I remember my mom telling our dachsand that, so that's what I do too! Sometimes I use EggBeaters but they are really expensive, and I feel like I'm eating lots of chemicals. I have never made scrambled eggs with one yolk and 4 whites but I'm going to start doing that. Good idea!

Shane: Good going on getting rid of the love handles. Where do you think they went? Seriously, I wonder what happens to the gobs of fat that leaves us. I know it just gets metabolized but it's just so strange that solid flesh can literally melt. I wish I could get rid of my belly and this wierd roll of fat on my back under my arms. I'm not sure if I'm describing this right, but it's above my bra strap inside each shoulder band and is more pronounced when I wear my workout bras because they SQUEEZE me in tight and then make the flesh poof out. Ugh.

Allison: Congrats on 141. Wow, you're running must be really torching those calories. You are doing great. I'm thinking about trying to do some running. It really seems to make a difference for people....

Baffled, too bad about the coffee this morning. I absolutely hate it if I run out of diet pepsi and have to run to the convenience store first thing in the morning.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I've had a good last few days with my eating. I went to Panera's yesterday for lunch with my dad and had the fuji apple chicken salad. Yum. The website says it's 590 calories, but I took off some of the dried apples and pecans so maybe it was only 500 calories. Very tasty, and I said no to the baguette. Yea me!

oh, one moe thing: Lily, didn't you say you liked Fiber One bars? Oh my gosh, I bought a big box at Costco and they do all kinds of wierd things to my insides (you don't want to know the details). No more for me! Wish I could pack them up and send them to you.

Speaking of sending things to someone, I have a lime green Champion sleeveless running top that is too big for me. It's an XL and I wore it once. It's made of that cool fabric that doesn't absorb perspiration. I will mail it for free to the first person who sends me a private message. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll start a giveaway thread.

Pam

Last edited by MileHighMama; 09-27-2007 at 06:16 PM.
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I buy the egg whites that are 100% whites. They're just pasteurized and that's the only form of processing. They're still white and have no additives. I'd feel really wasteful tossing all those yolks (and at my house, the only birds are squirrels, and those drive the dog crazy as it is!). Also, I feel as though I eat too many egg whites to buy cartons of eggs. I'd have to get a new carton every 3 days, and that doesn't even account for bfs egg consumption. And I'm with Meg, 1 whole egg and 1/2 cup of whites is perfect for most omelets and scrambles.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiMama View Post
I wish I could get rid of my belly and this wierd roll of fat on my back under my arms. I'm not sure if I'm describing this right, but it's above my bra strap inside each shoulder band and is more pronounced when I wear my workout bras because they SQUEEZE me in tight and then make the flesh poof out. Ugh.
I've got that. Not as much on my back as on the rear part under my arms. I try to tuck it into my bra, but as soon as I make any kind of movement with my arms, it's there again. Kind of makes wearing sleeveless shirts look gross. I have to say, though, that my workout bras seem to minimize the bulge. Go figure.

Oh, and Fiber One bars. Yummy! I don't get the tummy problems, but I do over eat them. I could easily eat the whole box at one. They are like candy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #86  

Height: 5'7"

I love whole eggs. I try to get the omega-3 rich eggs when I can find them. 140 calories for 2 eggs and I'm set for hours. Trouble is I can't usually stomach eggs for breakfast, when I can mostly only deal with carbs. So we tend to have them for lunch or dinner, which DH isn't fond of. DH mostly likes them only after a killer run.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #87  

Drats, I really need to find some of those whites-only eggs then, if only for trying. I can't fathom the idea of throwing away the yolks, when I'm already struggling with money to buy healthy foods all month long instead of ramen.

On a side note, my ticker doesn't lie anymore. *jumps* Funny how a week of clean eating can help, even though I've upped my caloric intake a little. Water retention, I spit on thee.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning everyone!

I've got nothing new.

Last edited by srmb60; 09-28-2007 at 05:37 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #89  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning Susan, everyone.

I'm running late this am, so just a quick hello before I roust The Boy, get him off to school, go to the gym (cardio today, yuck), pack, pick up The Boy, and leave for our long weekend in Phillie. Yippee!

We're going to the Phillies / Nationals game on Saturday and for the Mets' sake should root for the Nationals, but I'm not sure if I can stoop that low, especially on the Phillies home turf. Besides, the Phillies are our second-most local team. Ah, what tangled webs we weave.

Have a great day, everyone, and enjoy, um, avoid, um, enjoy those egg yolks...

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #90  
Chuggin' along...

Wednesday night I ate too many mashed potatoes, and then I got that white carb craving thing and kept munching on pretzels and granola bars. Yesterday I managed to turn down ice cream/ root beer floats, pepperidge farm cookies, sour patch kids, and wine. I was going to say that "my office/friends have been really bad lately" but come to think of it I've been saying that for a few months. I've done all I can reasonably do to keep the junk food out of my direct line of sight at the office. If my friends, co-workers, and housemates are all eating more junk, I will just have to increase my willpower and deal with it.

Good running, weights, and abs yesterday. I finally feel ready for the 5k I'm doing next weekend - 3 consecutive miles was finally "easy". I have a big, public event at work this afternoon that will go late. I'm going to try to go to the gym beforehand, since I'll be working late. I brought good snacks so I'm not tempted by the fruit juice and goldfish that are always there.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote