Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Morning everyone!

Apropos of our egg discussion, I threw caution to the wind this morning and had 2 scrambled whole eggs and a piece of toast. Yolks are yummy.

For some reason I woke up obscenely early this morning (5:30!) and couldn't get back to sleep. I'll probably pass out around 8pm tonight. The upside is that I've already been to the gym and had my breakfast, so I'll be at my desk today extra early also. (And yes, when I say 'extra early' I do mean 9am...)

Have a great Friday.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #92  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi all!

I eat egg whites or egg beaters usually, but if I'm making scrambled I usually use at least one yolk. However, my reasoning is not about cholesterol . . . I just hate the way egg yolks taste!! Eeeeeeew. I can't stomach hard boiled egg yolks, and if it's sunny side up I will cut away all the white and eat only the white. I can handle them in scrambled eggs because you can't really taste them. LOL, when I was a kid we used to go to the beach with my grandma, and for some reason hard boiled eggs were our standard beach food (probably b/c they taste good when saltwater inevitably gets on them), and I used to eat all the whites and give my grandma all the yolks!

Food has been not terrible but not great. Exercise, as I said on the food thread, has been abysmal thanks to having to take care of wedding stuff and spend hours watering our newly reseeded lawn. Ben has been so upset about the lawn he's been going crazy (it looks bizarre right now because they tore out the dead patches and reseeded, but there are these tufts of living grass interspersed), and he's worried about how it will look next week when our guests come for the wedding. Plus, some neighbor's kid came up and was like "Why didn't you water it? Didn't you know this would happen?" (how much you want to bet their parents told them to ask?) How rude. Of course we watered it, it's just that freaking grubs ate the grass from the bottom and since our subdivision removed all the topsoil before building they only have one inch of dirt to grow roots in before hitting solid clay!

In any case it was nice this morning because he told me he was sorry for being so irritable lately and he really appreciated all the hard work I've been doing for our wedding. Awww.

Today we are getting a delivery of 18 lbs of chocolate. It's not all for me! It's for favors for the wedding. I am sure we will not be able to resist eating the extras though.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone! It's a late morning for me as I've been very busy at work and I'm just taking a break to check in.

I had eggs this morning!! I was going to do white only, but didn't have enough so I added a whole egg and scrambled it all together.

Baffled~when I was a kid, the ONLY eggs I could stomach were scrambled. Then I learned about deviled eggs and it grew to hard boiled. Now I'll eat them any way I can get them and sunny side up (with a runny yolk) is my favorite--it's perfect to serve on toast and let the yolk run onto the toast.

Kery~don't feel bad about throwing away the yolk. I'm sure that if you were to find whites only you'd see that they are a lot more expensive than buying a dozen eggs and throwing out the yolks. If you find them do a little comparison. I find that when I buy the carton of whites, I tend to eat more than just one or two eggs' worth.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #94  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Not much going on here exciting.

Took the dogs on a short walk 1 1/2 miles this morning in the rain...they love that! Took it easy on Reba, vet says to back off a little with her until he sees her next week. Then I did 3.25 on the treadmill.

I have been at 177 for 5 days now so I changed my avatar numbers to keep me focused!

My brother and I took over our BBQ's for the Viking Festival tomorrow, and starting setting up, when my ex-wife, Brenda came out and asked if we could do her a little favor....sure....well 600 sandwich rolls cut in half later.. She forgot to order sliced rolls for our Polska Kielbasa sandwiches we are doing tomorrow and Sunday.

I get my eggs basted ~ whites cooked and the yolk runny. I also love omlettes, Angie and I have a great cafe we go to, owned by a friend, awesome breakfasts. She gets her omlettes 1 egg + 2 egg whites, she can't tell any difference. As for me...just bring 'em on I take Lipitor anyway!! Actually, we have eggs maybe twice a month.

JESSICA ~Sorry about your grass I hope it shapes up...but it's ALL ABOUT YOU!! anyway...no one is going to remember the grass! I still hope it grows!

MEGAN ~Your first paragraph of your post made me hungry!

KIM ~Enjoy the game...exciting times for baseball....except my darn DODGERS ...still have my ANGELS to help ease the pain

Gotta run..... Have a great week-end everyone! Gary

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-28-2007 at 05:11 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Since we're going to be away over Canadian Thanksgiving, we're having the kids for dinner tonight. DH is going to deepfry a turkey (I'm working). I like it when someone else does the cooking
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:15 AM   #96  
Meg

Susan, I keep hearing about deep fried turkey but have never tried it (and I'm not sure I want to!) Is it as good as everyone says?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Oh, it's wonderful! The big surprize is that in the end the pot of oil is fuller than when you started. The turkey is lovely and moist but not greasy at all. And you can't possibly eat the skin (it's like a shell!).
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #98  
Meg

Really?! I would have guessed that frying adds about a gazillion calories! People certainly do rave about it. So do you have people lined up to cook the side dishes too?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I've never had deep-fried turkey either, but I'm curious about it! As for the egg conversation, I can't really join in because I eat eggs maybe twice a year. That's one of those foods I could go the rest of my life without and not care at all. I eat scrambled eggs at my mom's house on random occasions, but I don't really care for them enough to make them myself. If I let myself think about eggs, I get a little grossed out, actually.

I'm up early on a Saturday because I have to go to an invitational 5K with my cross country team (well, some of them -- our best runners). The middle school race is at 9:00am and the high school one is at 2:00pm, which means we have to wait around there allllllll day. My husband has decided we're taking the kids out for ice cream after the races, and um...yeah, I'll probably eat some. A little treat, and then a long run tomorrow to make up for it, I guess! I really should stop these little random treats, though, so I can get to my goal!!

I've found that it's hard to stay committed when you're this close to goal because you don't have that extreme urgency to get the weight off so you can feel "normal." I already feel normal. Everyone tells me I look great, and I feel great, so I don't have a sense of urgency to lose MORE even though I really need to and want to. Someone needs to kick me in the behind or something.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #100  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Good morning! I hear that the secret of deep frying is that when it's done right, with the oil at the right temperature, the food is not oily. I had some deep fried prawns in Georgia that were absolutely delicious. Yes, there were some oil calories in there, but not as much as you would get with pan-fried foods, I think.

LisaMarie, you're in shouting distance of your goal! Heck, that's whispering distance! You can be there in one week if you get strict. And, although it is only a number, there is some satisfaction to be had by finally seeing that number. Go for it! Push it! C'mon! You're an athlete!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #101  
Mel

Come on Lisa! Slacking off now is the path to regain

Going back to the egg discussion, I've just gotten used to chucking a lot of yolks down the sink. I can't remember the last time I ate one. Egg whites are a staple of my diet, either in a protein pancake or a vegie omellette- really more of a stir fry with egg whites.

I'd love to try to deep fry a turkey, but the process sounds scary. Also, I can't imagine what I'd do with that jumbo deep fryer the other 364 days of the year. My family has already talked me into repeating the Turducken extravaganza that I did two years ago. Google it if you've never heard of it. It took about 2 full days to make and 10 hours to cook, but it really was outstanding. I was even sober when I agreed- I must have been tired!

Off to the gym,

\Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #102  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, we're having a nice week with DH off work. Been fishing quite a lot and cooked some yummy fresh fish. Had fun at Karaoke Thurs. night and went dancing afterwards. Friday night was high school football game and we won 50-12, it was exciting. Unfortunately today is yard work day.

As for eggs, I eat the whole egg. I do use only egg whites in my wheat pancakes.

Shane , DH only slept in til about 8AM after having his 112 hr. work week and then he was up and ready to go fishing. He really has always worked lots of hours and is used to it. This oil field work is sure making him buff looking. He's always been muscular, but dang his arms and shoulders are looking fine. LOL.

Thurs. night at the Karoke club, there was a belly dancer there for a guy's BD party. She made a lewd offer to my DH. Not sure I appreciated this. His reaction was to just laugh. Personally I thought her tummy was way too big to be exposed like it was.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

I have read a lot of ( new???) information that says it is fine and actually healthy to eat the whole egg.
My dinner is often two Omega 3 organic eggs scrambled with tomato on two pieces of ezekiel bread.
I love it (lol!!) and miss it when I don't have it.
Deep fried turkey if you can get someone to cook it for you sounds cool, especially if it gets rid of the poultry fat.
I have gotten to the stage where I hate the taste of poultry fat --I buy chicken cutlets from Whole Foods or Turkey slices and cut off any fat I can see (and I used to LOVE chicken wings!!!).
I realize that as fall comes I am going to have to adjust my diet to eat more stews and squash. I don't eat red meat but am wondering about pork tenderloin?? Any thoughts on that? I know its very low in cals and of course it is advertised (lol!) as "the other white meat".

Last edited by KatieK; 09-29-2007 at 02:38 PM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

We eat ALOT of pork tenderloin in our house. It's comparatively cheap, low in fat, high in protein and very tasty. You just have to be careful not to overcook it. My bf has a bunch of different marinades for them--there's a dijon mustard one which is really yummy, and also a mixed herb one. We tend to eat them fairly often in the summer, because they're great grilled and because they're a great match with salads and veggies. Yum!

I just got back from my weekly jaunt to the farmer's market. Lots of goodies, including several bunches of the most adorable baby carrots in both orange and red. I love, love, love real baby carrots. We roast them with a little bit of brown sugar. Soooo delicious.

And now I have to get some work done.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #105  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

^^

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote