Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Labor Day - September 9

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Here's to hope things will be better for you and your dear ones soon, Meg! It sounds like it was a horrible night.

No Labor Day here, I'm just plainly working in my good ole' office. I gather the holiday is supposed to last through all of today, then?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

Meg, I'm so sorry that you and your son went through that last night. I hope today is a better day all around. That new meter sounds real interesting. I hope it's something that works out for him.

Yes Kery, the holiday goes through today. Miost offices are closed, like the banks and post offices. Retail stores are open.

I think all my weekend partying is over. I had an incredible looong party Friday afternoon into late Saturday night. I ate fairly well except for the fact that there were many different cheesecakes. Carmel. Chocolate cookie crusted. One with thick fudge on top. Another with toffee bits and layers of toffee cake in between. Then of course there were the fruit ones. I had a few bites of most of them. Oh and I had a Godvida and vodka on ice. Actually I had 2 of them, but who's counting? Oh, I am. Yeah. But that was my plan and I'm not upset about it, at all. I didn't gain any weight since last Monday, but I had been down during the week.

Last night was a BBQ at my SIL's house. It was a surprise party for her 50th birthday. I had a grilled chicken cutlet and the salad that I brought.

Not sure what I am doing today. One daughter is headed to the beach with her friends, another is meeting up with her friends from camp. I may go to the beach. Hubby wants to go kayaking.

I hope you all have a safe and fun holiday.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning! I feel almost guilty saying that I slept 9 or 10 hours last night. I woke up to watch Jimmie Johnson win the race in California and nodded off again until after 7.

Meg? Does DS play with syrups and gels and things like that. They kinda slide down and stick with you even if you hyf them back up later. We use them at work.

I'm not sure what I'm doing today either. Our retailers are not consistantly open on Labour Day. Dh will be working in the hall, I think, so it's probably general fluffing around the house for me.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #5  
Meg

Susan, are there any particular gels or syrups that you'd recommend? We don't have any experience with them but it sounds worth checking out. We ended up giving him five units of Glucagon to get his BS up.

Poor Kery, working today.

Robin, the beach sounds just idyllic. I may join you, if only in spirit.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #6  

In nursing homes they use corn syrup ... I'd have to think about brand names, Meg sorry. What about the energy gels runners use?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #7  
Meg

Good thought, Susan! I'll check those out. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #8  

I found this at Walgreens
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...=0&id=prod4885

That should work. Of course you still get rebound but at least you'd have something.
I just can't recall what ours is called and it'd be a Canadian generic brand anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

good morning well... afternoon on this side of the pond .

Sorry to hear you and your son had such a bad night Meg! Thanks for the compliment on the pictures in the last thread! (you too Baffled)

My BF left yesterday for a work-course in Belgium so it's just me for a couple of days. I figured i'd take this time to polish up my eating for the time he's gone. He's pretty nice about joining my healthy eating but doesn't really like more then 1 day of dinner without 'starches' (pasta/ rice/ potatoes). Which makes it hard for me since those are the ones i really need to keep low in order to get the scale moving.

At the moment it is still moving down in a really slow pace but i'd like to see it going a bit faster. For the last couple of days i've seen 146 so that's ok but i'm not moving my ticker until i see 145. It's a mental thing but i live in metric country so it doesn't really 'count' until it's a 'real' kilo down. Translated: I'm still in the '66 and a bit range' and it's a real loss when it starts with '65'.

Anyway lucky me i dont really fluctuate in weight much (never more then a pound in the morning) i just stall when my eating isn't as good, so eating really well for a week can just be that little nudge that my body needs to go there and stay there. Don't hate me for that one On the other hand: when i say 'not so good', it's nowhere near my eating 'normal' before i started this, those lbs didn't show up magically.

On a related topic; I usually don't mention food to much because with the exeption of 'whole' ingredients like veggies the translation is pretty difficult. The foods and stores here are different and i've never been a caloriecounter/ fitday kinda gall. Love to cook though so if people like recipes without that sort of information i'd love to share some of my favorites.

Overall i think food overhere is less fake; we have fewer no/ less fat options but allso much less cornsirop and the like added. For example: I never been to the US but people i know that have been say that the 'normal' US-bread tasted like cake with just a little less sugar: Way to sweet and soft to 'our' taste. Mmm i'm sorta sounding quite "Dutch and Proud!" that wasn't what i wass aiming for.

Pfft this turned out long! well off to make myself usefull, great day everyone!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, yesterday we spent the day working on our fenceline again.
My house is all clean now. The girl's had the option of doing yardwork or housework yesterday and they chose housework. LOL. They actually did a very good job. My MIL came by yesterday and she even commented on how "spotless" my house was. LOL

We're planning on taking the boat to the lake today. Having a picnic and swimming and skiing. I'm just waiting on the rest of the crew to wake up. They all stayed up late last night watching scary movies. I fell asleep early even after taking a long nap yesterday afternoon, so I'm wide awake and like SusanB, I've had lots of sleep for a change.

Meg, I've had patients before that had the automatic BS pump and they seemed to like it. I think insurance usually does cover it. Hope your son is feeling better today and that you get a nap.

I'm hoping my eating won't be horrible today on our picnic. I'll try not to eat any chips and have only a small amt. of my home-made pasta salad. I'm taking lots of fresh watermelon and cantaloupe to snack on. I weighed in at 143 lbs. this morning so I have to remind myself that doesn't give me permission to pig out.

robin, cheesecake is definitely a trigger for me. I love it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Enough whining from me!......
Oh my goodness MEG that IS NOT WHINING!

Thank goodness it was a long race with a lot of crashes SUSAN so you could see Jimmie win it. He is almost a "local" boy here, he grew up about 45 miles away from me...but he isn't my favorite...I like the young kid Denny Hamlin now that Mark Martin doesn't race much. we do have a Lowes though and I even went there yesterday

Wating for Angie to get back from a run, then a walk to STARBUCKS with the mutts.

Be back later today...have a great holiday ladies!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
In nursing homes they use corn syrup ... I'd have to think about brand names, Meg sorry. What about the energy gels runners use?
I was going to say the EXACT same thing! Energy gels absorb so fast that if you can keep them down for 5 minutes or so it should help. They are virtually all 100calories of glucose

There are a lot of brands and they are all pretty similar and kind of nasty tasting. The fruit flavors tend to be thinner and I think would be easier to take down

BEWARE when looking ---the vast majority have caffeine. Almost all brands have 1 or 2 flavors that are caffeine free

(personally I prefer gu...but for a diabetic emergency ..clif and power shots are much easier to find, any sporting goods store would have them)

I just saw the link susan posted....basically it is about the same thing except for a lot more $$. But if it doesnt have flavoring it may be easier to take....gu did make a "just plain" that I am pretty sure is caffeine-free - anyway each packet of energy gel is $1 - $1.50
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #13  
Meg

Thank you Ennay and Susan -- I really appreciate all the advice and leads.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Morning Ladies and Gary

Meg, that's an awful way to spend the night. A perfect storm, as it were. I hope you're able to take it a little easy today.

Mars, it's true about American bread. It's very sweet. Fortunately there are natural bread brands that just taste like bread and grains. If you stay away from the white sandwich bread, there isn't really a problem. Same with other foods, really. You don't have to have canned green beans and food processed within an inch of its life--there are actual whole foods in the grocery store; for some reason many people just choose to ignore them.

I have to teach today. No labor day for us. Stupid private college. (Although apparently the support staff get the day off, which makes no sense.) Mondays are going to be my worst day this year, because I have an early class and an afternoon class and the specter of the rest of the week looming, so I've planned to take it as a gym rest day. However, with the wedding and the cheese party and subsequent hangover, I haven't been to the gym since THURSDAY and I'm feeling very antsy.

For those of you able to celebrate labor day; enjoy your picnics and day of rest.

Last edited by baffled111; 09-03-2007 at 10:50 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #15  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning L&G (Ladies & Gary, with a shout-out to baffled111)

My scale said 135.5 this morning; it was 136 yesterday, so it's probably not just a freak blip in the space-time continuum. I've been this weight only once in my adult life, in grad school when I was working out twice a day and subsisting on little more than coffee, apples, and power bars.

I don't particularly want my weight to go lower, so my "OP" for the week will require a bit more tinkering. I added about 100 cals/day last week, and still lost 4 pounds. It's odd: I spent a good chunk of July cursing a recalcitrant scale that refused to budge, and now that my weight's where I want it to be, the scale's gone crazy. It probably has more to do with where I am in my monthly cycle than anything else, but jeez louise!

Meg: Sorry to hear about last night's health adventure. Definitely give yourself a break today!

Baffled111. I'm right there with you. No holiday for the kiddies (or profs) at my university! The staff does get the day off, except the unfortunates who work in the dining halls or gyms. From a purely self-interested standpoint, I'm OK with the gym monitors, 99% of whom are students, having to work today!

A great day to all, even those of us/you who have to spend it at work.

Kim

Last edited by kaw; 09-03-2007 at 11:38 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote