Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

No, no, I'm not too skinny at all--in fact, I still see tons of fat when I look in the mirror--and I feel great and I'm healthy and eat plenty. I just have this irrational feeling that if I become too slim, I'll wake up one morning weighing 200 pounds with my weight completely out of control. It doesn't make any sense, I know, but I have a terror of boomeranging.

I'm sure you're right though, and my body is just finding its set point. (If there is such a thing.)

Gary, I'm not sure what Dodger watching is (is that a sports team or a euphemism for something I don't know about?) but I'm sure it must be much, much nicer to go on walks with your lovely wife and lovely dogs after dinner. It's so easy to become alienated from our loved ones if we watch too much telly and don't take time to engage in simple pleasures together. Yay you for making such a positive change!

Paperclippy! A wedding in one month! You must have sooo much to do. Or is it all pretty much done and now you just have to anticipate being pampered?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #77  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

[QUOTE=baffled111;1845092].

Gary, I'm not sure what Dodger watching is (is that a sports team or a euphemism for something I don't know about?) but I'm sure it must be much, much nicer to go on walks with your lovely wife and lovely dogs after dinner. It's so easy to become alienated from our loved ones if we watch too much telly and don't take time to engage in simple pleasures together. Yay you for making such a positive change!......QUOTE]

Hi BAFFLED ~ Yep, the DODGERS are a professional baseball team. It is fun walking with my wife and dogs...but my wife is a DODGER fan too (although not as much) and watches (although not as much) with me too. I am happy making the positive changes in my life! Thanks for the support!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

I had a great day with Dana at UC Fullerton yesterday. The campus is very nice (although only about 1/4 the size of the school I went to--the U of Utah). We learned a lot about the campus, the classes, everything. I'd love it if she went there. She's also thinking of USC which would be tons more expensive!!!

While on the way there, we had a nice talk in the car. She's got a really strange schedule at school this year. No 1st period. No 5th period. That means she can sleep in (she gets up just as DS and I are leaving the house) and she gets 1.5 hours or more for lunch. She has several friends that did the no 5th period as well, so they all go out to lunch every day. She was telling me that 5 of them got a bucket of KFC Thursday. Okay, a bucket for 5 kids, not great, but not terrible. NO. The BOYS brought their own lunches and 3 girls ate the bucket! I told her she needs to keep an eye on all the fast food. Surprise me when she said that she is planning on changing it all next week--she'll go out to lunch only once or twice a week and the rest of the week she'll go to the band room and practice marimba and get set for all the auditions she'll have to do for scholarships (I think she just submits a tape of her work). Whew! That's good!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #79  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I have to say that after these first 2 days of South Beach Induction, the lbs. are dropping off me. I know it's water weight cause I'm peeing like crazy. But, like I mentioned in the tired of it thread, it is very frustrating to be switching how I am eating again. I'm tired of trying to learn and adhere to new food plans. I have even considered going and getting the Super Foods book that Glory has talked about and using that plan. It sounds like a healthy way to eat from what she has described. Right now, I couldn't be more confused. Maybe just sewing my mouth shut would be an easier alternative. LOL. The main problem I'm having with SBD is that although it will take off the lbs. just like Atkins did, I don't see it as something I can live with for life. I really wish someone would just make it easy for me. Spell out exactly what I should eat every single day that will help me maintain the weight. If it were only that easy, LOL.

We had quite an exciting night. At 3:15AM Lacy came and woke us up saying the police Dept. was on the phone and insisted that she wake DH up. It was the local police and they had Shelbey and Peyton (Lacy's friend that had spent the night) arrested for being out after curfew. When we went to bed at 10PM, the girls were in here playing on the computer. Seems they had talked to a boy and had him drive by and they snuck out to his truck and left with him after we were asleep. DH was absolutely Livid. The cops called Peytons' dad and he had to pick her up at the Police station. Both the girls have to go to court on Oct. 2nd and probably pay a fine. The boy didn't receive a ticket cause he was 19 and both girls were only 15. The excuse given by the girls' was "he offered to come get us and take us to Taco Bell" (which isn't even in our town). I'm actually thankful that Shane was no longer living at home, cause he is so protective of the girls, there just is no telling what his reaction would have been. BTW, Shelbey and Peyton did not wake Lacy up to sneak out with them, otherwise she probably would have been in Hot Water too. Ahhhhh, the Joy of raising teenagers, NOT.

Good news is today DH is going to the Airport to pick up Taylor (his 18 yr. old DD), she made it through Coast Guard Basic Training and will now be stationed in Memphis. She has a 5 day leave and will be visiting with us.

Last edited by lilybelle; 09-08-2007 at 12:07 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Lily, I don't quite understand why starting the South Beach Diet is necessary for you. What was your doctor thinking when he suggested it? It seems to me that a. the scale in his office was wrong, so your weight is well within your maintenance range (or maybe a pound or two over?), and b. that since calorie counting is your preferred maintenance strategy, you should stick with it. If you want to drop a pound or two, you know how to drop your calories. I don't think the carb restriction is really necessary, especially since you don't feel good about it.

On my agenda today: Hitting the farmer's market to stock up on deliciousness; going to the bike store and FINALLY buying a new bike. Hooray! We have a dinner to go to tonight that will involve tons of wine and tons of good food. We went out for dinner last night to the restaurant where I used to work. The chef, my good friend, is committed to fattening us both up (meanie!) and so she made us a completely delicious, ridiculous feast. Baby carrots roasted perfectly with butter, crab cakes with aoili, filet mignon with her amazing port and red wine butter sauce, creme brulee. I'm afraid to get on the scale today! At any rate, I figure that since I accidentally lost 1.2lb last week it's ok if I have two excessive dinners this weekend. I have some wiggle room, and, of course, I'll restrict my calories a bit during the week again.

Ah, life, food.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #81  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hi all,

We're winding down a bit here. Went for a nice hike today with DH and The Boy in a nearby state park. They walked about 2.25 miles, mostly uphill, while I did a round trip 5 miles: 2 miles walking, 3 jogging. I only stopped twice on the jog, once on a steep uphill and once on a steep downhill with tricky footing. Yay, me! (I'm *so* not a runner, so 3 miles is a huge accomplishment.)

On my jog, I got caught in a massive downpour. Thunder, lightening, the works. So, there I was, soaked to the skin, water dripping off my head, running shoes squishing water with every step, and one eye closed because water had run into it and I was afraid I was about to lose a contact. I'm sure the people taking shelter at the ranger's station got a good chuckle when I squished by, but that's OK -- I laughed at me too!

Time for dinner. Nothing special, just chicken breast, broccoli, and red cabbage salad (not all mixed together). TB and I will probably watch a move later, undoubtedly something from Pixar. Just another Saturday night...
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #82  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Lily - once you get past the first phase I think SBD gets easier...or maybe its just because I have taken the parts from it I like, kept the main spirit and philosophy, and scrapped the rest

baffled...I lost for the first month of maintenance and I hadnt been losing for a while before that.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #83  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Lily, if I had ever done anything like that at age 15, my dad would have worn himself out spanking me and then handed me to mom to continue the job.

That's no longer "in style," but I hope the punishment you and your DH are giving is comparable in effect. Girls end up dead every day because some guy offers to drive them somewhere and they go. Unbelievable.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #84  
lilybelle

baffled, my DR. believes that SBD is a way to eat for life. I don't really see me living my life without a baked potato or with almost no bread, pasta or rice. I'm not through with the book yet, but this is how I see it so far. I'm giving it an honest try but I don't feel comfortable with it. I foresee eventually going back to just counting my calories, exercising and choosing my foods according to whatever fits in my caloric plan. I'm gonna go ahead and try this induction for 2 weeks and try to get back down to 140 and then trial with just watching my calories again. I probably do need a new scale soon, I think mine may be off a couple lbs. (not really sure) Mine says 145 but my jeans did seem tighter in the thighs and butt today.

I'm trying to get my exercising back up to par. It had fallen by the wayside with all the stress I've had lately.

I did manage to eat lunch out today without going overboard. I had a plate of raw cauliflower, brocolli , tomatoes and cucumbers with FF dressing, Plus 4oz. of grilled steak and some steamed squash , zucchini and mushrooms. I filled up really quickly and was unable to finish my meal. I'm definitely missing my fruit right now.

JayE, my dad was so strict on us, I would have been scared to death to even think about doing something like that. DH set Shelbey's punishment. She is to pay the $94.00 ticket herself from the money she makes working Part-time at the convenience store and she is grounded for 2 weeks with no cell phone. Yep, I lived in the day too when if you screwed up royally, you got your butt spanked. I did learn today that Lacy knew they were planning to sneak out and told them not to. But, of course she didn't tattle on them.

Last edited by lilybelle; 09-08-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone,
I've been around, lurking mostly, but trying to keep up with what's going on with everyone. Sorry I don't post much. I'm going to try harder to do that. Things are crazy busy in my life (I work full-time as a freelance writer plus my husband and I are opening a new business (a gym!) soon.) My weight is back up to 143 thanks to a ravenous hungry spell after restricting my calories and working out like crazy in August. Now I feel fat at 143 when I used to feel pretty thin at that weight! It's so relative, isn't it? Now I want to be 138 because I did feel a lot thinner at that weight.
Lily, didn't you say that your doc wanted you to follow SB because you are diabetic and your blood sugar was running a little high? If that's the case, then keeping a watch on your carbs is probably a smart idea. You have been under a ton of stress lately, poor thing. And now with the girls going out at night. Egads. Why does everything always come crashing down at once? I certainly know the feeling.
Hello to everyone. Kaw, you look fabulous and are doing so well with your food and fitness!
Allison, my Alison is a junior this year and will be thinking about college soon. My son graduates this December. I am so absolutely thrilled!!! I wasn't positive until a few days ago when he had his graduation evaulation and confirmed that he has met all of the university's requirements. Now I need to start thinking about a party and gift. What's a good graduation gift these days for a 22-year-old computer information systems major?
Have a good weekend everyone!
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #86  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Well LADIES I am officially a MAINTAINER! I reached and passed my goal this morning! I lost 17 pounds in 48 days! I have set a new goal to maintain that loss and to lose 5 more, for now! I know it becomes more difficult. Another exciting thing my BMI is 25, I need 24.9 to get from overweight to NORMAL...like I've ever been

I walked the dogs with ANGIE this morning down to STARBUCKS and back, 3.5 miles then did 4 miles this afternoon, on the treadmill, while I watched football.

We went to Chili's last night and I ate off the "guiltless pleasure" menu....I had salmon, black beans with pico de gallo and steamed veggies...it was really good...I really wanted the Montery Chicken or the big bacon burger...but I held true to my "journey"....and it paid off this morning on the scale!

LILY ~ Good luck dear....ME TOO...would have NEVER done something like that...my dad never beat us...but we KNEW he could!! and WOULD!

ALLISON ~ USC!! What a choice...yep, it is very pricy...but in that band for those football games...oh my!! My favorite school...so many connections.... daughter in law paying off debt! But what a time she had as a cheerleader there during the beginning of the great dynasty they are building now...ROSE BOWLS ~ National Championships.....

EVERYONE ELSE ~ HELLO!....gotta feed the mutts...they are at me...past their dinner time!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #87  
Meg

Congratulations on reaching your goal, Gary!! Funny how when we stand on the scales in the morning, we never regret passing up something the night before.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #88  
lilybelle

Pam, it's good to see you posting again. Yes, my Dr. did say the reason he wants me on SBD is because of my Insulin Resistance/PCOS and my Glucophage. I'm giving it a try. I'm hoping it won't seem quite as confusing once I'm done with the Induction phase. I do notice having very frequent blood sugar crashes if I eat a high carb meal. I'm still confused about how this diet works, but it looks like if you eat a high carb meal that you need to be sure and eat some fat and fiber with it, to slow the carb entrance to your bloodstream. (if that makes any sense). Like, don't just eat a big bowl of pasta and bread for lunch. Instead eat a smaller portion of wheat pasta with some meat and a green veggie. (but no pasta allowed on induction).

Right now I'm eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. My snacks are mainly celery with light laughing cow cheese. I'm also keeping SF jello made up for my evening sweets craving. I did buy all low-fat cheese this time which is what the book said to do. I'm also counting out my almonds or pistachios that I can eat as a snack. The biggest difference I'm seeing so far is that with SBD you eat healthier fats than you did with Atkins. You eat much leaner cuts of meat, but you do eat Olive Oil. Right now it's hard not eating any fruit. I sure didn't know bananas, pineapple and watermelon were so high on the glycemic index cause I normally eat a ton of these. But, after induction , I will get to eat apples and oranges again, so I can deal with this. I just hope to read somewhere that I can eat natural peanut butter, cause I don't think I can live without it. LOL.

Does anyone know, do steel cut Oats have to be bought from a health food store? I haven't seen them at our Walmart. I've always used the Quick Oats but steel cut is what my book recommends.

I've been up dog-sitting my Lab's since 4AM. It is really storming outside and they are scared. They are both curled up around my feet right now. LOL. Lucky for me, we bathed them last night. LOL.

Gary, I only ever remember my dad spanking me twice in my life. But, they were hard enough spankings that I never forgot. My mom did spank us sometimes, but she couldn't hit very hard and we would just laugh.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #89  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

And probably the contrary as well, Meg.

Congratulations are in order! It must feel wonderful to know that you've reached and even passed goal.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #90  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Congratulations Gary. You sound, rightfully so, incredibly exciting. All the "sacrfices" are really, truly worth it.

Lily, I buy Quaker Oats Steel Cut Oats at my local grocery store, not from a health food store. They're right alongside the regular old fashioned stuff. Lily, I'm not on SBD, but I have decided for me to mostly elminate the stuff I love best - forever - the pasta, the rice and the bread and white potatoes. For me, it's the only way to go. I'm not satisfied with a 1/2 cup serving of any of those things, so I choose to just forgo it. So far, so good. If and when I do eat the stuff again, it will be very, very infrequently and just a bite here and there. We'll see. I also very, very rarely eat watermelon, banans or pineapple - I'm afraid to eat all that sugar. I should probably take a look at that book of yours. It seems to me without my even knowing it, I may be following SBD. I guess though it's one thing to choose to elminate it certain foods, another to be told to eliminate it. You're a strong woman Lily, I know you'll figure this all out and you'll make it work for you.

A big hello to the rest of the gang.

This is the first weekend that I am home in 9 weeks. 9 weeks!!! And lo and behold it's the first Friday and Saturday that I have stayed totally on plan in all that time. Today hopes to be more of the same.

I made homemade applesauce last night. It was so incredibly delicious. I served it warm. It was like eating homemade apple pie without the crust. It was so quick and easy too. It was a huge, HUGE hit with the whole family.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote