3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Fall Clothes Shopping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/119847-fall-clothes-shopping.html)

srmb60 08-22-2007 02:08 PM

Whilst debating an olive green suit that I adore ... I found this site about colors for fall. Thought you might like it.

http://www.pantone.com/downloads/art...0Fall%2007.pdf

WaterRat 08-22-2007 03:18 PM

Glory - you will be gorgeous this fall! Love all that you bought. I love Eddie Bauer, but will be happy when they start making longer shirts again. No matter what size I am, the past couple years' fashions of midriffing bareing shirts just don't work for us long-waisted folks. (And a bare midriff at any size is not a good look for a 62 year old! :lol: ) But aside from that, I do love that most things look good. Oh, and while I'm not sure I've lost anything, my "pants-o-meter" tells me I'm at least shifting some. Both my jeans and my black capris keep falling off my waist to my hips, causing me to hitch up my pants several times a day. :rofl:

Meg 08-22-2007 04:15 PM

Susan, that's so interesting about the color palette for fall! I'm seeing exactly those shades of yellow, red, greens, and brown. I haven't seen the cashmere rose, purple wine or dusk much but would love to since those are more my traditional colors.

I looked to see if they have a color palette for spring 2008 posted yet, but no. Now I'm curious about what we'll start seeing in the stores this coming February.

MileHighMama 08-22-2007 06:02 PM

Glory, I LOVE all the clothes you bought. We have identical taste. You must be so thrilled. I agree with Meg, though. Buy those are two tops you like. You won't regret it. I too have made a bunch of purchasing mistakes that started when I hit about 150. I thought I was close to being my permanent size and bought too many size larges, now I'm more like a medium. The larges are pretty baggy and I don't like to wear them because I prefer more form fitting stuff now, and I just don't like tags that say the word "large" anymore. Silly, I know, but i can't help it. I wish I could take it all back. I'm worried because most of my fall stuff is larges, and I shouldn't spend MORE money on clothes at this point. I do love that all my size 6 low rise jeans still fit or are a little roomy. That just pleases me to no end.
Pam

ennay 08-22-2007 06:26 PM

I did happen to notice in the store today that the Womens (plus sizes) and Junior plus (I guess this is a new section for "trendier younger clothes for the fuller figured teen") take up the majority of the floor space. Junior Plus had twice the floor space of petite.

Did I mention I am so tired of laundry that I am thinking of going the minimalist route? Everyone in my household is going to be allowed 2-3 outfits max and we just wash often :rofl: Think of what I could do with the closet space...I could rip it out and put in a soaking tub. :D Or maybe not...sigh...but it sounds good.

Meg 08-22-2007 07:01 PM

Sniff ... :cry: ... look at what it's come to. We're being marginalized to the corners of the store and forced to steal clothes off mannequins. Next, poor tiny Carolyn will have to mug grade schoolers for clothes. I think we all need to gain 30 or 40 pounds in order to fit in. :lol3:

ennay 08-22-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1825481)
Sniff ... :cry: ... look at what it's come to. We're being marginalized to the corners of the store and forced to steal clothes off mannequins. Next, poor tiny Carolyn will have to mug grade schoolers for clothes. I think we all need to gain 30 or 40 pounds in order to fit in. :lol3:

And to make it worse....the clothes were cuter on the junior plus mannequins than on the petite mannequins....I console myself only with the fact that the clothes didnt fit me any better then.

Mel 08-22-2007 08:04 PM

Glory, those clothes are...glorious!

My latest project is remaking new clothes. This is REALLY annoying. I can't buy it if it's not on the super sale rack. There is nothing left in petites in small sizes in the few places that have adequate petites. Last week I found a pair of size 2 regular pants that match a jacket I'd bought and given up on finding the pants. The pants are so long, that I was able to take fabric from the legs, make a new waistband, cut down the top of the pants so they hit my waist instead of just under my boobs (OK, not sure whether that's a sag issue or not, but that's not where my waist is), and tonight's projects is re-hemming what is left. It's going to work, but it sure is a lot of effort just to get a pair of pants that fits!

You all are having so much fun shopping :dizzy: I still find it very hard to find clothes that fit. At least I'm not crying in dressing rooms anymore, but I seems to be made of spare parts from different sized bodies :( Ironically, about the easiest thing to find is a bathing suit :rofl:

I really should go work on those pants.....

Mel

baffled111 08-22-2007 10:02 PM

Grrrrr. I just wasted 10 minutes of my life congratulating Glory on her great new clothes and b*tching about the sizes at Ann Taylor when my browser went ballistic and wouldn't let me finish typing :(

Glory, great clothes!

mandalinn82 08-22-2007 10:50 PM

If anyone is looking for a GREAT source of basic black and white pieces that are cut AMAZINGLY and are pricey, but LAST...check out White House Black Market.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/home.asp

The clothes are a little on the expensive side, BUT...they always have a clearance section, have GREAT special occasion dresses, and the pieces are so classic and go with everything that if you're looking for wardrobe builders, you won't be disappointed....last weekend on sale, we got a pair of tailored white pants, a suit jacket, and a gorgeous (SPLURGE) black tank with a tie at the neck for a total of $115, so you can get good deals.

Currently I'm drooling over:
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com...?PID=300108449

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com...?PID=300108498

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com...?PID=300108414

They have really nice, great salespeople too...they do make "suggestions" of what to buy, but they are usually spot on with my tastes.

WindyCityChick 08-23-2007 12:04 AM

Wow, this is a dangerous thread to visit. I love all the things you gals are posting. I have the fall shoe bug right now - I just picked up a glorious pair of purple suede peep toe pumps on my way home tonight...could not resist them, even though (or perhaps because) they have ridiculous heels. Practical is totally overrated, right???

Kery 08-23-2007 01:18 AM

Glory, I totally agree with the others, this is one heck of as hopping spree, and you'll very likely have much fun wearing all of those. :)

Now to resist the need to buy again. Yep. This thread is very, very dangerous indeed. :dizzy:

(I definitely have to go on putting money aside for each day I eat healthily. It may seem silly, but hey, at the end I can buy a skirt or something, at least.)

Meg 08-23-2007 04:26 AM

Rachel! Purple suede peep toe pumps with ridiculously high heels? Pull up a chair and join us -- you definitely belong here. :D

Amanda, we just got a White House/Black Market in our local mall so I'll be sure to check it out. I've been to one in NM and loved it but didn't have much time then. Thanks!

rockinrobin 08-23-2007 07:25 AM

Yes, I bought a purple wine shirt. A beauty. I mentioned it earlier.

All right, I caved. I'll admit it. Took my youngest for some new school clothes yesterday. And I bought one of those darn TRAPEZE jackets. It's a beauty though. Not as puffy. Gorgeous collar. Nice heavy weight and in a herringone pattern. And it was only $25.00!!!! I'm telling you if it was at Macy's or Ann Taylor it easily would have been $80.00. I found it at one of her junior stores. And it's a small I might add. Not only that I bought another jacket there for only $25.00. This was a lightweight, past the tush, black wool trench coat. So very chic looking. I can't believe I got 2 great jackets for only $25.00 each. This store always has tons of garbage-y clothing. But I do get lucky there every now and then and find fabulous jackets. I figured this was a good time to give it a shot and we got lucky. My youngest daughter and I bought the same exact trench coat in the same exact size (small). I was thinking that it was silly to buy the same jacket, but then I was thinking since we'll both get so much use out of it and for that money it was silly NOT to buy it.

Oh and I bought a really nice button downed, vertical striped blue and white fitted shirt that goes perfectly with jeans.

I must stay away from the stores for awhile, mustn't I? .......... Nah.

clvquilts 08-23-2007 06:32 PM

It's going to be 96 degrees on Saturday for our Western Night party at the yacht club. So I decided the the heavy seude, fully lined near full lenght skirt would be too hot to wear outdoors.

Back to my current favorite store I went...Goodwill. When I was there last week, I noticed they had a whole 12 foot long rack of denim skirts. I ended up buying 3! A black one with brown stitching that goes perfectly with my new black and cordovan brown cowboy boots (I wore them to the store to make sure the skirt(s) would work.) This one is a mini and comes mid way down my short thighs. I've never worn a skirt this short in my life, but I figure I'm wearing shorts that are much shorter than this skirt this summer so why not.

(All through my teenage and adult life I've thought my thighs were too big and have always tried to hid them by covering them up. Now that I've gotten back to my normal size, I look in the mirror and think, "What was I thinking, my legs look great!")

Then I found a pencil thin dark denim skirt that hits me at my knees so its kick pleat is actually in the right place. A major miracle! And I picked up a girl's size 16 mini with wide pleats and flap pockets on the front. Real cute. For $3.99 less 50%, how could I resist. There was a girl's size 14 that also fit, but I wasn't sure I could iron out the wrinkled up hem line, so I passed on it.

Quote:

from Meg: Next, poor tiny Carolyn will have to mug grade schoolers for clothes.
Meg had me LOLLING with that one! I was talking with my friend who's 2 inches shorter and maybe 5-10 lbs lighter and she does shop in the girls department.

While at Goodwill, I found a knee length black poly skirt that will be fine for swing dancing or wearing with the new cowboy boots. On the way to the check out counter, I walked by the shirts and picked out a chocolate brown knit colared v-neck with same colored embroidery on the neck line with 3/4 sleeve.

Total spent: $15.48

Plus, I've been able to find clothes small enough to fit. Can't say that about the regular stores...

Pam asked about the sweater I had mail ordered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvquilts (Post 1814388)
I'm hoping the PXS will actually be the right size. It's always a gamble for me when I mail order.

http://www.shopthebay.com/pagebuilde...=SEARCHRESULTS

It came last week and fits well in the shoulders (often a problem area because my shoulders are so small and narrow. I love the color and the length and how it flares out at the bottom. I have to turn the sleeves up even though it a PXS, but that's statis quo for me. What I'm disappointed with is that the waist isn't as small as I'd like it to be. It hangs box like rather than being cinged in like the photo. I'll experiment with moving the buttons over to see if that helps.

Once again, it reinforced that I really shouldn't mail order anything.