3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Fall Clothes Shopping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/119847-fall-clothes-shopping.html)

Meg 08-14-2007 04:46 PM

Thanks, very helpful! It sounds like it was pretty much trial and error. My bras seem pretty comfy right now, but my ribcage is really big - like 33" - so I was just curious. :)

Oops, I didn't see Jessica's post. That's what I thought about measuring around your ribs right below your breasts. I'm 33" and seem to do well in 36 bras. A 38 would be huge and I can't see me in a 34. I may play around next time I'm shopping. :)

baffled111 08-14-2007 05:13 PM

I was measured around the ribcage, too. I think I was 31" or something, so apparently that's right between a 34 and a 36. Thankfully the 34s fit perfectly (although as the person above says, they stretch, so you can start on the furthest hook and move inwards), so I didn't have to go down in cup size. If you're really 33", you probably would be a 38, but it's possible that you're not measuring yourself properly. Seek professional help--it's worth it!

MileHighMama 08-14-2007 05:27 PM

Jessica, that's what I heard about the underwire laying flat on your chest, and my new bras do that and it is such a nice, new feelings. My bras never fit that way before, I just got whatever would sorta kinda fit and that was it. Plus I was shopping at stores like Kohl's where they didn't have different out-of-the norm sizes to try, only the standard ones, which I now know don't work for me at all. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one wearing these larger cup sizes, which make me look smaller and give me more lift. A lot more lift. The fitter actually said that now I am showing off my figure and it makes my torso look longer and trimmer.

When I measure around my ribcage right below my breasts I am about a 30-31, so a 34 makes sense if you add 3 or 4 inches. I wear a 32 in this one style because it runs large and stretches out more than others do. It's called a t-shirt bra, and has slightly padded molded cups. That's another totally new thing for me. I never DREAMED of even trying on one of these types of bras becasue I would figure they would make me look even bigger, but they don't. Plus it's nice to not have to worry about nip show-through. :)

Pam

Meg 08-14-2007 05:34 PM

OK, you guys have me sold on the benefits of a fitter!

Now to find one - I've heard that Nordstroms has awesome bra fitters but we're not getting our Nordstroms in Pittsburgh until next year and the closest one is currently in Cleveland. My local Macy's has idiots in the lingerie department, so perhaps it would be worth a trip downtown, hoping that the good people work there. :chin:

MileHighMama 08-14-2007 05:46 PM

Let us know how it goes, Meg. It is definitely worth it. It was a little embarrasing at first, but I got used to it. I tried Dillards and Nordstroms. I think Nordstroms had more variety and the fitter was a little friendlier. The lady I worked with at Dillards was named Herta and boy did she know breasts and bras. One of the Macy's where I live has a line called Lunier. Not all of the Macy's carry it, but it is really nice and is geared for C through DDD cups. Many of the styles are so pretty. I'm in heaven and now I want to buy bras, bras and more bras. I always hated mine before. You might surprise yourself and wear a 34 with a larger cup. I'm not a tiny person by any stretch and am totally amazed I'm wearing 32s and 34s. Like Jessica said, it's that larger cup that makes a difference because it adds more fabric. Still, you'd think that bra makers would have a 32 be 32 inches around, including the cup size. In other words, a 32B would have more band and a 32D would have less band. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Pam

Meg 08-14-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHiMama (Post 1815946)
Many of the styles are so pretty. I'm in heaven and now I want to buy bras, bras and more bras.

Of course, you need the matching panties too. ;)

WaterRat 08-14-2007 06:10 PM

Hmmm, I think you've convinced me too. I may have to fit Nordstrom's in the next time I go to Anchorage. :)

My DH does fine in shirts, it's pants he has problems with. Not the waist/length (33/30) but the baggy butt. :rofl: The man is scrawny! The only reason he weighs 140 is that he still has the same skeleton as when he was 5'9". He does okay with jeans, esp the lean cut ones, and thankfully that's what he wears 95% of the time. Chinos or dress pants however are dreadfully baggy. And because he lost all of his height in his torso, jackets are always too long on him. But, hey, he's been in remission for the past 7 years, and that's all that counts. :D

MileHighMama 08-14-2007 06:29 PM

Oh, yes, Meg, and panties too. Lunier has some matching ones and last time I did spring for a pair to go with one of my bras, a pretty blue jacquard (sp?). Lunier's website says they are offered at Dillards, and I think I do recall seeing a few styles there, but one of my Macy's had an entire rack. :) basics in white and beige and rose but also some racy animal prints, lacy styles, etc., ...
Pam

baffled111 08-14-2007 06:47 PM

Meg, it's not as good as Nordstroms, but Victoria's Secret does fittings too. As long as you're in the 'normal' range (and I think you are) you should be able to find something there. The advantage to Nordstroms, aside from superior service and experience, is that they carry many different brands, so you and the fitter can find the ones that work for you. (Of course, you pay for it: each of the 3 bras I bought last weekend were over $50, but it's worth it, to me.)

But I reckon VS would be better than Macys, at any rate.

clvquilts 08-14-2007 07:00 PM

You should all visit me on Long Beach Island, NJ between June and November. We have a shop where the owner specializes in bra fittings. She must have 5 thousand bras in her little shop. People come from various states to get her bras.

In June, I got fitted by her and learned I have a 29 inch rib cage. She put me in a 32B and says next time she'll put me in a 30C which she stocks.

Today, I went in to Philadelphia to have lunch and go clothes shopping with my friend. I was wearing my casual black & white sundress (as opposed to my fancy b&w sundress that I'm wearing to our swing dance this weekend) and a woman actually stopped me on the street and asked me where I got it - TJ Maxx. It was just like a commercial.

We went to several stores and most of what I tried on fell off me. I really wanted something in chocolate and some fall skirts and pants. No luck at all. I did find a fuscia short sleeve dress with an empire waist that hangs straight and flat enough that it doesn't look like a maturnity dress. I practiced spinning in the dressing room to make sure it will be good for swing dancing. I plan to wear it to the dances in the winter with a sweater over it to start out with, cause it gets pretty hot pretty fast dancing even with the temperature turned way down and the fans up.

Also found 2 tee shirts with enough stretch in them that they fit my figure rather than hanging box like from my shoulders. And I got an awesome, sexy fitted purple with white pin stripe shirt with 3/4 cuffed sleeves. Very taylored with gathers under the breasts - sounds odd but looks fantastic. My only problem for wearing it is I'm usually cold and wear layers of sweaters. So the moment it goes below 80 degrees, I'm going to be whipping that shirt right out. This is definitely the 'new me' style.

After being disappointed with the 'no clothes in my size' situation, I took the train home and when across the street from the parking lot to the Goodwill. Some of you may remember I found some jeans and 3 pairs of shorts there in late Spring when DH was still out of work.

This time, I came home with 4 skirts! The first is a full length, straight chocolate, wool blend skirt that fits perfectly in the waist and only slightly roomy in the hips at a size 4. The second is a summer weight light pink knee length skirt with front and back pockets in size 1. The third is a summer weight floral beige on cream knee lenght skirt in size 2. And the fourth is a stretchy black skirt with 3 layers of hankerchef points that will be good for dancing. This last one is way out of my typical preppy, conservative style.

And the best thing was I got all 4 shirts for a total of $13.41 because some of them were half off $3.99! I also tried on 9 pair of jeans in sizes 1-5 and most of them fit, but I've gotten picky about how my butt looks. 6 months ago, I was just glad to find a pair that fit.

Next I need to get a white belt to go with my low rise jeans and brown shoe polish to clean up my high healed mules.

Kery 08-15-2007 12:26 AM

I think you've sold me on the idea of a fitter, too. I was already considering it before, but now it's kind of become an emergency. I just hope it won't be, uh, too expensive. :o

paperclippy 08-15-2007 08:57 AM

Those of you considering going for bra fittings, I highly recommend finding an independent lingerie shop in your area. They tend to carry more brands with more sizes than department stores like Nordstrom. Look for a shop that says they sell mastectomy prostheses -- those shops usually are really dedicated to proper fits!

My favorite bra of the moment is by Fantasie of England -- not sure what the actual style name is, but it's seamless so it doesn't have seams showing through with any clothes. Freya is another good brand for sizes like mine (small band, big cups). They are a bit pricey but not too bad ($50-$60 for a bra). Of course, last time I went shopping I bought three bras and two matching panties for a grand total of $277. :o Plus I can't wear them yet because I'm saving them as a surprise for the honeymoon and my fiance and I live together!

Anyway, I would recommend Nordstrom over Victoria's Secret. I have had many fitters at Victoria's Secret tell me I'm a 34DD and that "sometimes you have to go up a band size if the cups are too small." If anyone ever tells you that, don't trust them! Your band size is your band size -- if the cups are too small you have to go up a CUP size.

srmb60 08-16-2007 04:01 PM

We got an invitation to a wedding for Oct 20th. I think it might be time for a 'little black dress'. The more I think about it, the better it sounds.

ennay 08-16-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperclippy (Post 1815858)
Meg, usually they measure you right below your breasts to get the band size (it's something like that number + 4, then do trial and error to find exactly what's right). When you have a proper fit, the band should sit under your shoulder blades in the back and not ride up at all, and the underwire in between your breasts should lay flat against your chest. Last time I was measured I ended up as a 32FF. Apparently FF is a half-size in between F and G!

The thing about going down in bands with higher cup sizes is so weird. Basically in a normal store, I would end up getting like a 36DD, which wouldn't fit right at all but at least it would cover me up everywhere since there is enough fabric. Really though, the amount of fabric in the cups needs to be more, and the amount in the band less, otherwise it will just slide down and not provide support. My boobs look much smaller with a 32FF than they did with a 36DD!

That formula is outdated a bit I always thought that was the formula but the bras I buy dont match up.
This is Nordstroms chart
Nordstrom's bra chart for the correct band size:

Bra Sizing Chart

And you have to measure lower on the ribs than you would think - right under my boobs I measure 31 but I wear a 32 bra

heck...the chart didnt paste:
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/...051115_c.jhtml

ennay 08-16-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1816324)
I think you've sold me on the idea of a fitter, too. I was already considering it before, but now it's kind of become an emergency. I just hope it won't be, uh, too expensive. :o

You dont pay for fittings....The bras at specialty stores are often a little more expensive, but they last longer too. Buy one to ease your conscience and then buy another of the same style online if you need to save money.

VS will lie to you to get you into a size they carry. I went in asking for a 34H and they suggested I try a 38-40DD instead.