3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Fall Clothes Shopping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/119847-fall-clothes-shopping.html)

Meg 08-07-2007 06:05 AM

Fall Clothes Shopping

rockinrobin 08-07-2007 06:46 AM

Ahhh, clothing.......

Today I am actually headed out to the mall. I want to see if I can maybe pick up another bathing suit. I know there's very little left in the stores, but maybe I can find something and maybe it will be greatly reduced. I will do my darndest to not buy one more summer outfit.

So as long as I'm looking for that one bathing suit, I will also be looking for fall stuff. I have nothing. Absolutely nothing to wear. So I'm starting from scratch again. Oooh what fun.

I also used to hate brown. Now, I actually like it - a lot. It's very warn and rich looking. I was never a great fan of gray though. Very drab and wishy washy.

Well, I'll be heading out later and I'll give you all a report when I get back. Hopefully with lots of packages. Wish me luck. :)

lavidasofa 08-07-2007 07:01 AM

I'm on a all white kick lately. White is the new black :lol: I used to love all black, tried to dabble in adding colours to my wardrobe and feel it's just not 'me'. So I've gone back to stocking my closet of only whites and blacks. Sometimes it's all white, sometimes all black, sometimes I mix. Aren't I exciting? :D I figured it's a lot easier if I'm running late too hahaha.

Meg 08-07-2007 07:04 AM

Do they have White House/Black Market stores in Canada? Because you would be their #1 customer! :lol:

HeatherAngel 08-07-2007 09:21 AM

Bah - I went shopping yesterday.... I look forward to maintaining, 'cause right now I am in between sizes; I am also out of the 'plus' sizes on the bottom, but not on the top... needless to say, came home with 6 new pairs of knickers and THAT'S IT! (of course, I also find it hard to spend money on clothes when I know I'll be out of them in a month or two! :lol:)

Heather :D

Heather 08-07-2007 09:38 AM

My coloring goes really well with fall colors: browns, oranges, khakis. I may have to really restrain myself this year.... but before I go, I really want to be back in size 12s. I'm almost there!

I can't wait to hit my Talbot's outlet!!!

Kery 08-07-2007 10:02 AM

Okay, I'm not really a maintainer yet since I'm not at goal, but I still wanted to post in here. (After all, I am maintaining not regaining anything, right?) Even though it makes my wallet cringe and cry and my bank account beg for me to remain careful, I'm starting to become a sucker for clothes, so maybe discussing them rather than being out buying them will be alright for me? :D

I don't know about browns myself, but if I find an item of clothing the cut of which I like, I would probably buy it all the same. Why not try new things, after all. I have lots of black/red/grey in my wardrobe, and some change now and then is always a good thing. (I'll still buy black stuff, though--less because it's slimming, and more because it's very convenient for a student to 1) mix with every color, 2) not having to go to the lavomatic for three passes of different colors when one could be enough. :lol:).

Also, this isn't exactly trendy since it's about old clothes, but my sister has given me some, including a long jacket I find really pretty. Yes, my sister who has always been seen as *thin*.I guess you can tell I'm on cloud 9 here!

Meg 08-07-2007 10:10 AM

Kery, I'm sliding on over to make room for you here at Clothes Junkies Anonymous (Hi, I'm Meg and I have a Serious Problem with clothes :o ). Aren't clothes such a motivation? :D

Kery 08-07-2007 10:25 AM

Ohh yes they are! Besides, being able to wear what I could call normal sizes here tends to make me feel like buying even more--especially when it comes to tops, since I'm very likely at "my" size regarding thise (the twins won't really get smaller than they are now). I used to care way less when I was 165 (I would think "I look fat in everything, so why bother"...) than now, when things actually fit. :)

baffled111 08-07-2007 11:19 AM

I'm a clothing junkie too :) I loved clothes even when I was fat, but, obviously, shopping is way more fun when most things look good!

We're off to Seattle tomorrow for our annual shopping trip. Very exciting!!! I have a ridiculously long list of things I need to get. I'm starting my first 'real' job in a few weeks and I basically have no professional clothes, so I need to buy a whole stack of them. All my current clothes are either causal work-at-home clothes, or flirty waitress clothes, which won't do.

So I'll be buying many pants, shirts and sweaters. I mostly look forward to buying shirts with buttons. I carry lots of weight in my chest, so my boobs get giant pretty quickly and don't fit into shirts with buttons. Now that I'm pretty much flat chested (need a bra fitting too...I'm terrified that I'll turn out to be a B cup, which I have never been!!!), shirts are able to fit my chest AND be fitted through the waist and torso. Hooray! No more knits for me!

I also need to get a suit, in case I'm lucky enough to land a job interview this fall, new bras and sports bras, a coat and some shoes. I want to find a pair of knee high boots also. And new running shoes. And hopefully a bike.

We're going to have a busy few days and my credit cards are going to be very well used. Eeeek! This is what happens when you live 5 hours from a real city--shopping starts becoming a binge exercise, because you can't just do it occasionally and in moderation.

baffled111 08-07-2007 11:20 AM

Oh, and on the issue of brown. My problem with brown is that all my accessories are black, or black friendly. If I started to buy brown basics, I'd have to buy all new shoes and bags that work with brown. It's much simpler to have black as my base color and then to add other colors around it.

alinnell 08-07-2007 11:54 AM

I took DD shopping Saturday and she ended up with 3 pairs of pants and at least 6 tops. She's very happy. I'm not planning on buying anything new until I reach goal (but then, WATCH OUT!!).

lilybelle 08-07-2007 12:33 PM

I've always liked brown colored clothes, they look good with my hair color and dark brown eyes.. I do need to have a little more black in my wardrobe. I have plenty of whites and bright colored clothes now. I used to always wear the darkest clothes possible to try to hide my fat but I love lighter and brighter stuff now.

With getting all the girl's school clothes, I can't buy much for me right now .

robin, good luck on the new swimsuit. I bought one late in the fall 2 yrs. ago after I had started losing weight. It was at Dillard's and it was on clearance. I got a $100.00 swimsuit for $19.00. I wore it til it was so big that it was falling off of me. It was size 14. I finally had to retire it. LOL. My new swimsuit I bought this summer is size 8 and I've swam so much, it's getting faded and wore out. I wish I could shop for another one right now while they are on sale.

The other day while I was shopping with Lacy and Shelbey we spent a fortune. All of Shelbey's clothes came from A&F, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Vanity, and Victoria's Secret. That girl has expensive tastes. We paid a fortune for raggedy looking sweat shirts at A&F. Luckily, Lacy bought most of her school clothes at Vanity, Rue 21, and Penney's and TJ Maxx. LOL. I came home exhausted that day, we hit every store in the mall and the food court to boot. LOL.

Kery 08-07-2007 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, all things considered, I wish to brag. ;) I got that black skirt the past week-end at the store where my sister works, now that their new fall collection is out (the red top is an old thing). Fell in love at first sight, couldn't take it out of my mind, went back to buy it all the same... the usual stuff. Then I went all crazy and decided to get some striped leggings. Yes, the ones on the picture. Horizontal stripes, because I don't care if I still have thunder thighs, they're the 'least worse' (if I may say so) they've been in *decades*, and at least now part of them is muscle, due to biking 70 minutes a day to the office. So bragging time it is. :D

Meg 08-07-2007 03:40 PM

You are simply adorable! :hug: And your thighs aren't the least bit thunderous. Brag on, sister - you've earned it. :broc:

rockinrobin 08-07-2007 11:02 PM

Kery, you look great!!!

I didn't get much in the way of fall clothing. Just some basics. I got a black V neck cable knit sweater. Those cable knits are all over the place. I also bought a very cute little pants outfit, nothing dressy. Kind of like a dressier jogging suit. But not very athletic looking at all, if that makes any sense. And 2 other long sleeved shirts. Cute. But nothing drop dead gorgeous.

I don't know if any of you have seen it, but there's these TRAPEZE jackets all over the place. They have a very wide sleeve that gets longer towards the bottom as does the body of the jacket. Very wide and just the opposite of what I'm looking for. Though I love jackets and jacket style shirts, these just make me look like a football player. And now that I no longer WEIGH more then one of um, I don't want to LOOK like one of um.

The full line of fall clothing is not completely in yet. It's still at that in between stage. I'm sure lots more stuff will be arriving every day now. I'll just have to go shopping again next week. :)

I did buy 2 fantastic, gorgeous, beautiful bathing suits from Macy's at 50% off. I was agonizing over the 2 different ones and just said the heck with it, I'll take them both. One was $46.00 and the other $60.00. I love them, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish I could wear them more often then just swimming. That's how great they are. One is a tankini, black crocheted with a sprinkling of little colored beads. So pretty. The other is a great black and white number, very, very figure flattering. Great cut to it. They both do a GREAT job, ummm.. lifting up what's left of my breasts.

Macy's also had the Miracle Suits at 1/2 off as well. The original price is about $128, so at half of it's $64.00. If anyone is interested, it's a great suit and that's a great price for them.

Kery 08-08-2007 01:34 AM

Aw, thanks. :D (I guess I need to work more on that old perception of myself now, right? Hehe.)

Robin, what are those 'trapeze' cuts like exactly? Would you have a link to one in an online store, perhaps? I'm still not very talented when it comes to fashion, and I sometimes have a hard time picturing what they look like (and what I've just pictured in my mind right now conflicts with the football player, so I'm confused). :o

rockinrobin 08-08-2007 07:26 AM

Kery, now that I thought about it, the trapeze look is probably the opposite of a football player. The football player look is usually padded shoulders. This look gets wider at the bottom. It bells out at the sleeve and the bottom. There are lots and lots of cropped jackets using this style as well as shirts. They just make me look - fat.

It would be a great time to be pregnant though. No need to buy maternity clothing. Something I really don't need to worry about, that's for sure. ;)

This is not a great picture of one, but that's all I could find right now. It's in the 16th row, in brown.

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/catego...5382&pageID=-1

Meg 08-08-2007 07:29 AM

Here are some other pictures of what I think Robin is talking about:

http://lizc.imageg.net/graphics/prod...711941v200.jpg

http://lizc.imageg.net/graphics/prod...643067v200.jpg

Those jackets look terrible on me too.

I don't understand the maternity look at all. I thought we didn't want to look like we're pregnant if we're not?

lilybelle 08-08-2007 07:41 AM

Kery, congratulations on the cute outfit. My daughter likes to wear skirts with leggings underneath. You definitely have the right to brag. WTG.

Robin, I noticed the exact same thing when shopping, I thought everything looks like maternity clothes. They made me look fat and pregnant. But I did think if a person was pregnant they sure wouldn't have to buy regular maternity clothes. Where were these things back when I had my babies? Oh yeah, clothes hadn't been invented yet. LOL.

Kery 08-08-2007 08:33 AM

Aha, thanks! Now I see what you meant. (And honestly, Meg, IMHO those look terrible on the models as well! :lol:)

There are lots of similar cuts for the new fall lines here as well--kind of the same as in summer, sort of empire waists, and with those looovely "the 70's are calling, they want their wallpapers back" prints. :rolleyes: I have one, in fact, all in black, but perhaps I'm lucky, because with my wide hips, it actually hides what needs to be hidden without making me look pregnant. But I agree it IS an improbable cut for lots of women. And what's with that stuff that makes even uber-thin people look overweight, I wonder.

Meg 08-08-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1807654)
those looovely "the 70's are calling, they want their wallpapers back" prints. :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I wouldn't wear it THEN, I'm sure as heck not wearing it NOW!!

Kery 08-08-2007 09:44 AM

I am not kidding. ;)

http://www.pimkie-shop.com/upload_pm.../45817473v.jpg http://www.pimkie-shop.com/upload_pm.../45954579v.jpg

srmb60 08-08-2007 10:18 AM

I'd wear that brown with skinny brown pants and heels! Sure I would.

rockinrobin 08-08-2007 10:24 AM

Yup, Meg that's what I'm speaking about. Except that the ones you have pictured are a bit narrower then the ones I have been seeing. I have seen some really, REALLY wide ones. They are just everywhere. No escaping them.

As far as the wall paper prints go, Kery, you actually picked out a couple of halfway decent ones. Some of them are simply atrocious.

Oh and the lengths of the shirts are hideous too. All the shirts, not just the wall paper ones (except for the lovely trapeze cropped garbage). I'm real short so on me they're even worse. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and start taking them to the tailor and have them shortened, otherwise I will have very little clothing to speak of, and I can't allow that to happen now, could I?

alinnell 08-08-2007 10:52 AM

These are the kinds of tops my DD bought. They look really good on her (she has a tummy to hide) but they DO make me look pregnant! I can't wear them. I prefer a more form-fitting top.

WaterRat 08-08-2007 09:14 PM

Love, love, love shopping! I have a new nightgown and jeans from Land's End. 3 new shirts from Eddie Bauer, plus new undies and 2 LONGER t-shirts from a local dept store. :)

KristasMom 08-10-2007 03:39 PM

I already wore those, back in the 70's. They were ugly then, too.

Sue

WaterRat 08-10-2007 03:52 PM

Oh my - never heard them called wallpaper, but like Sue, I wore them in the 70's and never again! I remember one dress I had that I really liked (what was I thinking?) that was (a) a doubleknit (remember those?) (2) about mid-thigh in length, (3) had a Nehru collar and (4) was a mustardy gold with orange print. Honestly, I cringe whenever I think of that dress, and I worked at Michigan State Univ library, and wore it all the time..... :eek:

clvquilts 08-10-2007 03:58 PM

As an artist who loves color and prints, I'm really enjoying watching the women on the streets of NYC who are wearing those wild 70's prints. I keep thinking I'm going to see a pattern and color combination that I like, but so far it hasn't happened.

One thing I am very happy to see are all the women in the pretty sundresses. It's just so refreshing.

srmb60 08-10-2007 03:59 PM

I watched a TV program this morning ... they're talking fitted shirts (pin tucks or darts) tucked in your pants, higher waisted jeans, really high waisted pencil skirts ...

Meg 08-10-2007 04:07 PM

FYI, my Macy's is having a "buy one, get one" free in the clearance department. Really good bargains! :yes:

alinnell 08-10-2007 04:24 PM

Last fall at Macy's I got a beautiful skirt, marked down from $98 for $9.99! Sure it was fall, and the skirt was spring-ish, but for that price, who cares! Besides, it was a size 6!!!

ennay 08-11-2007 12:49 AM

Hi, my name is Ennay and I am fashion impaired will one of you come visit me and be my personal shopper?

I like new clothes but I find clothes shopping torturous.

Kery 08-11-2007 01:51 AM

Yikes, I did it again! As a result, my wallet decided to break. (No kidding, it really broke, I can't close it any more. Is that an omen? :D) Now I'm trying to white-knuckle myself into not buying any more clothes this summer--I need to keep money to register at the university again in September, after all. To think that the next big bargain period is in January... /sigh

Meg 08-11-2007 06:30 AM

That is too funny, Kery! :rofl: We get sales all the time here, for any occasion: President's Day, back to school, Labor Day. Any excuse for a sale! All we have to do is wait for a week and there's bound to be another one. :cheer:

Kery 08-11-2007 07:11 AM

Ohh, lucky you. Here the big sales period are only in January/beginning of February, and same again during July and a little bit of the end of June. Stores do sometimes offer discounts at other moments of the year, but it's only on very specific articles, never on all the clothes, for instance.

srmb60 08-11-2007 07:53 AM

I'd love to go shopping with ennay! I can always find tons of things that suit my sister when we go together.

srmb60 08-12-2007 08:50 AM

Ok ... the shopping ... DH was wonderfully patient ;)
Old Navy was a disappointment. I tried on a pair of 4 sorta skinny legged long shorts. The waist band sat out to here but my thighs were encased! I did get a t-shirt with a contrasting cami for under. If I'd been hunting for jeans and sweaters, I might have been more excited.
Liz Claibourne ... navy, turquoise, white, black, black, black ... smallest size was a six. And a big six!
Mexx ... dreary and expensive. Grey, tan, brown.
Jacob ... a good selection of tanks and t's. A wild variety of colours! Lot's of chocolate in the new for fall stuff. I liked that.
But I didn't LOVE anything.

baffled111 08-12-2007 12:56 PM

Hi all!

I'm back from my extreme shopping extravaganza in the big city! It was very intense. I needed to buy new professional clothes to make the transition from waitress to professor (strange, but true) and I think I bought half of Seattle.

Firstly, I agree with the comments about maternity wear-esque clothes. I hate it. I have a very slim waist as well as hip and boob curves, and I want to show it all off. Why on earth would I wear tops that make me look as though I'm trying to hide a triple roll of fat? Frankly, I suspect that the maternity-wear phenomenon is a secret ploy to trick us into breeding more: 'Ooooh, all the shirts look like they'd fit perfectly if I were pregnant, and no one would even be able to see the bump. Best get pregnant then before clothes that fit properly come back into style!'.

I know you guys mentioned the brown thing a few days ago, but I was still really surprised by how much brown there was. It was a bit tricky, because, as I said the other day, all my accessories are really for black and won't work with brown. I did wind up with a few pairs of dress pants that are in the brown family and a pair of cute green shoes that will work with both black and brown, but I don't have any bags/briefcases that will go with brown... The tragic thing is that my coloring really works better with brown than black, but I just don't feel 100% ready to make the commitment to a brown suit, even if it does look really beautiful. Tricky.

I went to Nordstrom for a bra fitting. I think their full service bra thing is totally worth the price of their bras. It's fantastic. The good news is that I have not gone down to a B. I'm a 34C. Still on the small side by my standards, but not too bad. One of the bras I got was even a 34D (cut on the small side, evidently). I've always thought that 34D is the perfect size, so I was pleased.

As for sizes in general, they really were all over the place. Here's the thing, world: a 5'9.5 woman who weighs more than 140lb is NOT a small. Nope. Not small. I am at least a medium sized woman. I'm not fat, I'm not deformed, I'm just medium. And what's more, I don't have a deep psychological need to be a small. I'm 5'9. I'm perfectly happy being medium. It's really, really annoying, and I feel badly for the pixie-women, like Carolyn, who are going to be wearing negative sizes soon so that stores can fulfill what they take to be my need to be "small". It's ridiculous.

It's also a pest. I would wander around a store (Ann Taylor was the biggest culprit here, with Banana Republic a close second) picking up things in Medium and 6. When I get to the changing rooms, I realize that almost nothing fits properly, and I have to go back out to collect Smalls and 4s. It's stupid. How can a woman of my size be a Small/4???? I'm actually between sizes though, so if something was cut on the loose side, I had to buy a small, and if it was slim cut, a medium. This means that I cannot gain a single ounce if I want to keep wearing half my new clothes.

At any rate, I have a ton of new clothes and that's exciting! About half are mediums and 6s and the other half are smalls. I spent about a million dollars and my credit card companies will be rubbing their hands with glee at all my new debt :)