Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week Of July 30 - August 4

Good morning!

Did you all see the news articles this week about obesity being socially contagious? Do you think that fitness and weight loss could be equally contagious? I don't know if the study examined that angle but I'm curious whether we -- as weight loss maintainers -- can influence those around us. Perhaps we can give people hope just by simply existing and showing that long-term weight control is not only possible, but enjoyable and rewarding?

It's shaping up to be a hot and humid week here. Fortunately I don't need to do much outside! How are you doing with the heat, Joy? How many more weeks for you?

How did everyone do with weekend food challenges?

Check in and say hi and let us know how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

I did hear a little buzz about friends making you fat. Food makes us fat. Period. Although after just coming off a big social weekend ....... But ultimately we are all responsible for what goes in our mouths.

People DO tell me all the time how I have rubbed off on them a bit. So maybe that's a little contagious as well. But the same thing holds, ultimately it's all up to the individual.

After a lovely weekend away with lots of friends, I am up about 3 lbs. 3 big ones. All planted on my waist area. I actually see it and feel it. I definitely overate. Without a doubt. But it's nothing, NOTHING like I used to eat in the past. Not even close. I wonder if all the past summers when I ate 3 and 4 times as much, probably even more then that, if I gained 3 lbs in a weekend. No way. It just can't be. Naturally I would have no way of knowing since I didn't step on a scale back then. Dope that I was/am.

I am going away again for at least the next 2 weekends as well. I tell you, I'm ready to cancel and just stay home where it's safe. Away from the socially contagiuos food fest.

Back on track for me today. Big time. That's the plan.

Have a good one everybody.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #3  
Mel

Yes, I saw that and thought about the opposite scenario- how my weightloss journey has isolated me from many of my former friends, but introduced to me a whole new set of people.

Interesting study- but not really all that much useful "what to do about it" info there. Living isolated from family and friends due to food issues isn't all that much fun. I've yet to meet anyone other than a very small handful who think that doing an hour of cardio every morning, lifting, and watching our intake like a hawk is normal let alone fun.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning.

Humans are funny in who and how they follow.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think the article did indicate that there was likely a reverse correlation also. And I have introduced 4 moms to running and gotten them hooked, so I think there is definitely a correlation. To a point.

Of course the article in my paper was the NYT article written by Gina Kolata and I of course noticed right away that once she had stopped talking about the journal of medicine report, she stuck in some of her own rethinking thin stuff. BUT if you hadnt read her book the way she worded it made it sound like it was part of the same report. (30 lb window etc.)

So I was thinking...a while back Susan posted about it not being good that her extra maintenance calories were in the form of icecream. Honestly, I think that works BEST for me. I built my nice diet level number of calories into healthy meals and snacks. If i have the extra calories as separate treat food, then it is easier for me to remove. I have a much harder time with portion control than anything else. So for me if I add a larger portion of healthy foods to maintain, I have a hard time scaling back the portions if I need to cut back. Where if I have added an afternoon icecream, I cut that out and after 2 days of pouting I get over it. I find I rebel much more against cutting out healthy food. Just a random alternate point of view.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think I've influenced my family to eat healthier, but not really my friends. I can usually get my SD or my DD to walk with me. I do almost all of the cooking here, so it wasn't too hard to get family to eat what is put in front of them. My new friend Causha is interested now in losing wt. and does say she wants to exercise with me (but she hasn't yet). I'm not sure if she wants to lose the wt. because she knows I did, or if she just decided on her own that it's a good idea. She did say that I'm the first friend she knows of that tries to eat healthy and exercise and stay at a healthy weight. I'm afraid that since she is a heavy beer drinker that she might have a rougher time taking the lbs. off. I do hope that I'm a good influence on her. She is supposed to come over so I can show her about 3FC and Fitday.

I have a busy day planned today. Have to take Lacy and Shelbey to get enrolled for their sophomore yrs. of high school. Then, mow my yard while DH does the weed-eating. Then go with DH to test drive more cars. Yesterday I went and got gas for the mower and went out to start mowing and immediately it started thundering and lightning and a big downpour. Hopefully I can get it done today, it's hot and humid right now.

I'm gonna try to get back to eating right this morning after a not-so-perfect weekend. (I made Peanut Butter cookies last night and ate a couple of them but I did use Splenda instead of sugar). I'm glad to see now that they've all been eaten since I only made a half of the recipe. Last night I was seriously wanting something sweet and drug out my cookbooks. I'm glad I opted for the cookies instead of the pineapple upside down cake I'd considered making. I have a worse time overeating on cake than I do cookies.

ennay, portion size is a problem for me too. I'm learning to take more salad and veggies and a smaller meat portion.
Robin, I can sure identify with you wanting to stay home to feel safe around food. I sometimes turn down invites cause I don't want my wt. to go up and I don't want to face the temptation at social outings.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning maintainers! I attempted to post yesterday on last week's thread but I kept getting a "timed out" error. Weird. That happens from time to time--especially at home (but I can get to other websites with no problem, so?).

Anyway, my plan is working. I've dropped about 4.5 pounds since returning from Hawaii, and 2.5 of that is since starting my "plan". I'm up 1/2 a pound today, but I went over my calories yesterday (over 1800--yikes!). Darn that Del Taco (and well, the candy I ate at the theater). But I'm glad the plan is working and glad that I look forward to it, too! I was getting discouraged there for a while.

As for the article, I know that I've influenced my family to eat healthier. My MIL is really into it--if only she could convince my FIL. Sure, he'll eat the healthy stuff I prepare (he's not overweight, but does have type 2 diabetes). But there are days when he won't eat healthy at home--he'll insist on junk food. Oh, well, can't win them all.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi all! Welcome to the new maintainers!!

I did see that news story about obesity being socially contaigeous. Of course, on TV the person just came on and said "Obesity is contaigeous!!" Sure I eat more when I'm around other people, but I do it regardless of whether they are overweight or not. Socializing with food present is what makes me eat, not socializing with fat people. OTOH, since I lost weight my mom was inspired to lose weight too, so I guess it goes the other way. Plus I heard a friend of mine from HS became friends with some guys who were into weightlifting and got totally beefed up.

I had another disaster this weekend (see the "oh (censored)" thread for my food diary, it's scary). Saturday we decided we'd finally paint that room in our house. My fiance was freaking out because he was so afraid we'd do it wrong, so things were stressful to begin with. Also, I had to get the list of addresses for wedding invitations to Ben's mom so she could give them to the calligrapher, and people kept not calling me back and giving me their new addresses. All I have to say is if you couldn't get me your address, don't complain if your invitation gets sent to your parents.

Anyway I was really stressed out and we drove to his parents house, intending to come right home and start painting (we spent the early afternoon taping off the room). Well, I was hungry and stressed out and when I got there there was a tray with the remains of a cake -- just a few dollops of frosting. I ate the frosting, then a cookie his grandma brought over. By the time we were done sorting out the addresses it was after 6pm and there was no way we'd get the room painted (esp since there isn't really any light in there). So we decided to stay for dinner. Also at that point Ben's brother called and said he was bringing his girlfriend and it was her birthday and they needed a cake. So Ben's mom dug up a box of cake mix and I volunteered to help her make it since she was in the middle of cooking dinner. So as expected I ended up licking the bowl, and licking the whisk I used on the frosting too. Then dinner was these bacon-wrapped beef filets that Ben's dad had bought frozen off a traveling salesman, green beans, peaches, and the oiliest roasted potatoes I've had in ages. Plus, of course, the cake. And two glasses of wine. How did I manage to eat so many calories without ever really getting full?

Luckily Sunday was perfectly OP and I got in a lot of exercise -- a two-hour walk and painting all afternoon. My hamstrings, biceps, and lower back are SORE today! Unfortunately, our painting job really sucks. We're doing a second coat tonight and I'm praying it will make it look ok. Right now it looks like a couple kindergarteners were playing with paint rollers because it is so uneven in spots. Of course since Ben was so worried about it in the first place he was really upset after the first coat. But, things were looking up this morning, since he said to me "There are two good things to come out of the painting. One is that I really do like that color. The other is that now I have an appreciation for what hard work painters do!" Anyway I really hope the second coat events it out. The color really is nice and I really wanted it to work out ok.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think sometimes we do enable one another to overeat. After my partner and I became comfortable together, we definitely gave one another tacit 'permission' to eat too much. We both put on a fair bit of weight fairly quickly together. (Of course, I put on more, and because he's 6" taller than me, and a man, his weight gain was barely noticeable if he was wearing clothes.) The same thing seems to have happened with my step-sister and her husband--they have become obese together. If you don't think the person that you're eating with is going to be making judgments, for some people that can lead to overeating and to weight gain.

Ennay, I'm with you: I save calories most days for real treats. Sometimes it's for alcohol, other times real ice cream or a pastry or delicious cheese or good french bread. My calorie budget is big enough that I can eat 3 full, but carefully planned meals, several snacks and have a nice treat. For me, it works as a compromise for lifelong weight management and it staves off feelings of deprivation. My overall nutrition, exercise and calorie intake are pretty good, so I don't feel that I'm committing any sin or self-destruction by having a croissant once a while. It works for me.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I heard the obesity story on NPR. They also talked about the flip side 'fitness is contagious" not sure if they were speculating or if it was actually a study. At the time I thought it was a study. Radio in the morning with small kids is sometimes only a subliminal message.

I know that people around me are slowly catching onto the exercise thing.

Years ago I used to be a smoker and the reason I quit was all my friends started to smoke too and I felt terribly guilty. As soon as I quit everyone else did too and now I don't know anyone my age who smokes. Course that's completely anecdotal but it has influenced my worldview.

Susan that was a great picture. You are looking so fit!
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

I am verrrry psyched because I have had an excellent weekend, health-wise. Stayed totally OP w/ food, even made good decisions when invited to eat w/ some friends Saturday. I turned down drinks w/ friends - not the time w/ friends, just the drinks - and had an ok workout Friday and a really good run Saturday. The only problem is I've had some trouble sleeping, and last night I ended up with only 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I'm ok right now but I'm afraid I'll crash out soon. I might have a little bit of iced coffee at the end of the workday, so I can get a good weightlifting session in at the gym.

BF and I took his new (er, new to him, used to the rest of the world) 28 foot sailboat out for our first sail in it yesterday and it was great! It just needs a bit of cleaning up. We're talking about maybe doing some weekend trips in the fall as soon as it gets a bit cooler.

This week's challenges: going away to a work conference Tues-Friday, bf's family in town yesterday-Sunday. Usually despite bringing healthy snacks, I cave on work trips when everyone around me is eating pastries and ordering big slabs of fatty meat at restaurants and it's right there for me to take. BF's family is hit or miss with whether their food is healthy or not, and they're cooking dinner tonight. However I have confidence that I will make good decisions.

I read an article on MSN about the "obesity is contagious amongst friends" study, and I don't know I believe all of it. Certainly your friends can influence you quite a bit, both with food and activity levels. But the study said that friends are a greater influence than your family, which I question. At least for me, when I'm visiting my family and they have junk right there in the house, or my roommates (my family away from my family) bring junk home, that's the hardest for me to resist, but with friends it's much easier for me to do my own thing, b/c I can go home and eat my "safe" food. But I certainly believe those around you affect what you eat and your activity.

baffled111, I cannot tell you how many people I've had the "love makes you fat" discussion! Definitely true for me. Darn those skinny, tall guys who don't gain quite like we do.

Jessica, sounds like you did a good job Sunday of getting back OP and exercising quite a bit. Way to get right back on the wagon.

alinnell, it's great that your plan is working!

Lily, a few cookies instead of lots of cake. We've gotta take the small victories.

Mel, I hear you on the being isolated from friends and family being hard. It's true that it's just no fun. But every time I go nuts of food or get lazy or both, and use social occasions as the excuse, I gain weight and feel even worse. So I figure I'm just picking how I'll feel the least bad - I'd rather feel a little isolated and feel fit, than just feel plain unhealthy and blah. I wish I could, but I don't think I'll ever just love eating healthy and being a gym rat.

It is hot here too! Ugh, soooo hot. I sure don't miss the north in the winter, but I do miss it a little in the summer. A trip to Maine or Canada sure would be nice right now.

I'm not sure what the internet situation will be on the road, so I will check in Friday if I'm not around this week. Have an excellent week everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #12  

Happy Monday everyone. I heard about the 'fat is contagious' thing. I just figured your friends are usually people you have things in common with, so it figures you might all like video games, or going out to eat, or drinking at the local or whatever. It also figures people interested in nutrition or fitness would hang out. Seemed to me that could be worked out without a 'study'. I don't think I've influenced my friends too much, but my kids definitely eat differently than most of the kids they know.

I had a good weekend. We went to a party Saturday but I did not overdo. My dad brought some stuff he got from the senior give away he attends. I put the buns in the freezer, but threw away the brownies except one per kid. I also furtively disposed of the fruit snacks. Why would they give senior citizens fruit snacks anyway?

It's getting hotter here and I'm not taking to it too well. My walk keeps getting later and later. Tomorrow I'm going to try to set the alarm for 6 and get out before it's warm at all. The MD thinks I'm a couple of weeks ahead of my due date in my siggy so I'm figuring in 2-3 more weeks I'll be done feeling so whale-like. Of course then I'll feel soft and doughy, but hey, it's a trade off, LOL.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #13  
Chuggin' along...

Ha! 146!!! I know 152 to 146 in one week means that was mostly water weight, but 1-2 lbs must have been "real".

Joy, I'm sure when those 2-3 weeks are done, you'll be so happy that you'll barely remember them. Stay cool.

Hi everyone else! Sorry not much time to post - off to my conference - but I'll "see" you all this weekend. Crossing my fingers that my willpower will hold strong.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Great going Megan!!!!

Wow Joy - you're really close!! How exciting. I never gave birth in the summer. My babies were born in the fall and winter. It must be quite difficult. Do try and stay cool.

I am happy to report that 2 of my weekend pounds were gone this morning. I was strongly back on track yesterday. What a relief. It scares the living you know what out of me when I am off plan. I think that once I am off plan that I will never find my way back. Terrrifying.

I did have to change my menu a bit. I need to get rid of the cereal for a while. I can't be trusted with it. Once I start .... So yeah, my breakfast will be yogurt and a measured out small portion of Fiber One cereal for awhile. The Fiber One I don't overeat - it's the Kashi Go Lean that gets to me.

Hot and humid here today. I have lots of work to do in the house, but am hoping to get to the beach for a couple of hours sometime today.

Have a great day everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #15  
Meg

Good work Robin and Megan! Yep, getting right back on track is KEY!

Robin, I have the same problem with cereal. The only cereal I can control is weighed out portions of Fiber One. Kashi is a cookie in a bowl to me.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote