Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Meg, Here I thought I was the only one who could actually overeat Kashi Go Lean cereal. I mean, come on - Kashi Go Lean? It's amazing to me, simply amazing.

Meg, I find we have so many similiarities. I just hope that 5 years from now I can still say that holds true. Because of course I would like to have maintained for 5 whole years like, which would be 10 for you and then I want your 10 to become my 10 which would be your 15 .... yeah, you get the picture.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #17  
Meg

Robin, you and I are going to do it. I've never been so certain of anything in my life. The same goes for everyone else here. It's not going to be easy but ... we are all going to do it!! I seriously hope someday they come and study US!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

Robin & Meg, cereal is strange for me. I do just fine with it as a breakfast food, but if I snack on it, watch out. Even snacking in a bowl, with milk, just exactly like breakfast. Fortunately, I seem to be able to control myself as long as I don't get started.

If there was ever a hint that something in my brain is miswired, that is it!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I used to feel that way about food in general. If I didn't start eating (on any given day) I wouldn't keep eating. I'd finally start at about 4 pm and just stay with it until bedtime. Not a very effective plan but I kept thinking that if I could just be careful ... it'd work.
I actually went to the doctor to find out why I was having weak spells in the afternoon.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #20  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

All cereal is air food to me, I could eat bowls of it and then go eat a real meal. I occasionally succumb to it, but I always end up eating 30 minutes later.

I over ate fiber one or all bran once ---oh god was I sorry

bad day yesterday, lack of sleep is getting to me, my body shouts hungry when I am sleep deprived
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #21  
Back to the beginning....

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone!! I am freaking out today. I didn't weigh myself yesterday morning ( woke up way late) and went to last night and the scales dead. Or I should say the batteries are. And did we have any in the house?? No. So I haven't weighed myself in 2 days. I know some people only do it once a week but I need to know everyday that I am doing ok. I haven't been eating the greatest either. My new boss decided that we should sell candy bars to boost cash sales (I work in a home medical equipment store) and well candy bars are my hardest temptation. And I haven't been doing very good. I am deteremined today to stay away. I am half tempted that when they are gone not to tell the person that orders stuff, so I don't have to get anymore in here. Anyways....I hope everyone has a good day. I have to text message DH to tell don't forget to get the batteries for the scale.
Mary
Petra6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I used to feel that way about food in general. If I didn't start eating (on any given day) I wouldn't keep eating. I'd finally start at about 4 pm and just stay with it until bedtime. Not a very effective plan but I kept thinking that if I could just be careful ... it'd work.
I actually went to the doctor to find out why I was having weak spells in the afternoon.
That is how my mom eats when she is trying to lose. "breakfast just makes me hungry" she'll eat less than 200 calories until about 4 pm.....and then watch out.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #23  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! We finished painting last night. What a disaster! Nobody decided to let us know that when you're removing painter's tape after using latex paint, you have to run a razor blade along the edge or else you'll peel the paint right off the wall. After some disasters and some not very attractive repairs, we are done. This morning we went to look at it and were like "I guess we'll put all the bookshelves on that wall to cover up the ugly splotches!" We suck at painting. At least we will know better for next time. I'm still contemplating trying to put a little more paint on the spots that I had to repair last night so it is a bit thicker but I'm afraid it won't blend in to the rest of the wall. The one splotchy wall, well, we'd have to put on another coat to fix it and we're totally tired of painting and almost out of paint, so . . . We were planning on covering the whole room in bookshelves anyway. I am pretty disappointed that it turned out so badly though. After doing some research it sounds like we would have had better luck had we bought higher-quality paint. We didn't even think about what brand to buy, we just looked at paint chips and picked a color we liked, which happened to be from a cheap brand. The color is pretty at least.

Anyway we had a small snack when we got home and went straight to painting, and didn't finish until 10pm which is our usual bedtime. We ate "dinner" at 10:30 (watermelon feta watercress salad from Cooking Light) and went straight to bed. I'm exhausted this morning! And sore!

Cereal! My regular breakfast. You know, up until I met my fiance, I had no idea that people ever snacked on breakfast cereal. I have eaten it for breakfast for years, but I never snacked on it later in the day. Of course, eating Cocoa Puffs for breakfast isn't super-healthy, but . . . Nowadays I eat cereal with skim milk and fruit for breakfast (my fallback cereals are multigrain cheerios, raisin bran, Quaker oat bran, and Quaker oatmeal squares -- or the occasional shredded wheat). Occasionally I snack on it in the evening, but only if there is nothing else in the house to eat. I can't stand Kashi, it tastes gross to me. Fiber One I can only handle if it's mixed into something else -- the artificial sweetener grosses me out and it looks like rabbit food!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't eat cereal all that often because it seems to set me up for binging later on in the day. Perhaps it is because there isn't much protein? Or too high in carbs? I don't know. Oatmeal doesn't do it to me, though! And, oh, I love cereal! I have about 10 boxes open at home but will only eat it about once a month. I have a lot of choices because the kids like choices, too, but rarely do they venture to try my Fiber One or Kashi products! LOL

Two days now at 145.5. Okay, so it's still over ticker, but it's 2 pounds less than this time last week and 4 pounds less than the Hawaii debacle. My plan is working! I have a very light day ahead because I forgot my cup of berries for my morning snack (and already my tummy is rumbly).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #25  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, count me in as one that can binge on breakfast cereal. I love the SpecialK with Strawberries but had to quit buying it cause I could eat 2 bowls of it. Cold cereal just doesn't fill me up for long enough. When I eat my wheat pancakes or Oats, I stay full much longer.

I have to take SD and DD back to the school again at 3PM today to finish their enrollment. (the counselor was swamped yesterday). It has rained the past 2 days and my yard is in bad need of mowing. Hopefully we can do it this evening. I just went out and was going to start mowing , I cant get the mower out from the carport the way DH jacked it in there. All the motorcyles are behind it and I certainly am not gonna try to move them. Why do men do dumb stuff like this? Seems like when he has a wife willing to do the yard work, he'd leave the mower accessible for me.

My eating is back on track. I need to get back into my exercise routine.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #26  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I think how full I get from cold cereal really depends how much fiber there is per serving. Special K doesn't have much at all so it isn't too filling, but raisin bran has a lot more so it fills me up more. Oats and wheat pancakes probably have more fiber too.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #27  
Working My Way Back Down

Lily. When you figure men out, please let the rest of us know!

Breakfast cereal - I almost never eat it except at breakfast, and then 99% of the time it's cheerios or oatmeal. I get around the low protein issue by adding 7 walnut halves (I put them in a snack sized baggy and mash them small with a wooden spoon). I usually add fruit too. My DH will eat many kinds of cereal, usually mixed with rolled oats (raw). When I'm away, it's often his supper. Neither of us care much for any of the Kashi cereals.

Been raining here for 2 days too. We badly needed it, so as long as it's nice by the weekend, I'm happy about it. My neighbors who are putting in a new lawn are thrilled, as one or the other of them have been out there watering for days. They at least were smart enough to plant in sections so they're not doing the whole lawn at once.

Eating has been on track for the last few days which really helps me keep it that way. We are eating lots of fresh veggies, and I need to go tonight or tomorrow and pick broccoli (to freeze) at the U-pick farm.

Glad to hear that people are getting back to maintenance weight, and catching small gains. So much easier than to be in my position with lots more than a bit to lose. I did lose 3 lbs last week, and will go to a WW WI tomorrow night.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Count me in as a cereal lover. I can eat it morning, noon and night. Like Lily, I love Special K with strawberries. It's like candy to me. Right now the only cereal I try to keep in the house is bran flakes and Cheerios. I mix them half and half for my breakfast. I really think the fiber helps with my weight loss, but I'm not positive about that.

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is getting back to their maintenance weights. I hit 140 this morning, and it felt good. Now I hope I can hold it and not see a rebound gain tomorrow. I'm struggling with how far to keep going. I'm a little over 5 ft. 7 inches and have read that my ideal weight is like 132-5. I've also read about BMI and that range is pretty broad. I've never really "maintained" before. I'm either gaining or trying to lose so maybe I should try my hand at that and see how I do again (last time I hit 140 I sprung back up to 145 because I ate too much!). My belly is still kinda fat and flabby and I hate to just quit and say this is "good enough" when I still don't think I look great. I'm getting muscles from working out so much so that's good!

Jessica: You guys worked so hard on your painting. I'm sorry you're not 100 percent satisfied. Keep in mind that you're focusing on the imperfections now but in a few weeks you will forget about them and not even notice them. I wish we could see the blue you chose. I'm glad you like it!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #29  

Cereal is on my forbidden list. Since I was a kid, I can eat practically the whole box. Any kind, it doesn't matter, but if it's peanut butter cap'n crunch it's a disaster waiting to happen. I'll be sticking to eggs and oatmeal.

It's really not today which has led to-1) being stuck inside, and since it's still 90 at 7pm things aren't looking good for a walk and 2) eating too much because I was bored. I hate when I have days that don't follow my plan.

Jessica-give the room a chance. Painting gets much easier with practice.

Lily-My dh does stuff like that all the time, and then asks me"Why did you move everything?" I told him my levitation skills just aren't that good.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #30  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I saw those articles and saw a news segment discussing this issue. I would agree to an extent, but ultimately a person's food choices are up to them. However, I do believe the opposite scenario holds true as well. I've been dieting seriously since May and I've rubbed off on one of my close friends. When we go out in groups for the weekend, everyone usually orders what they please, while I order a salad and water and she'll usually do the same. I asked her why and she said she can't see herself eating prime rib while someone else at the table is enjoying a simple salad. Oh well, it feels good to know that my choices are rubbing off on others .

I also convinced my dad to buy my mom a new elliptical. We have a treadmill and stationary bike at home, and some other “toning” equipment. I’m just addicted to ellipticals and cross trainers and I thought it would be awesome if there’d be one at home once I go home after finishing my internship.

On a side note, I've been lurking for about 2 weeks and finally decided to join 3FC. I'm so far from being a maintainer, but you ladies all inspire me so much with your maintainer’s posts. My sister recently lost 70+ pounds and she inspires me so much. I’m determined to do this for the LAST time. So far I’ve lost 16 lbs., which I believe is great, and I can't wait to reach maintenance. I’m determined!!!

Last edited by OptimistK; 08-01-2007 at 10:53 AM.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote