Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #1  

Default Exercise?

I usually work out 5 to 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half. Before joining LAWL I lost 15 pounds on my own just by adding this exercise to my life, and LAWL is now helping with the eating aspect of my life. Today when I went in I was down a pound over the last week, which is fine with me, but the counselor went into a big commentary about how since I do more than 5 hours of exercise per week I'm building muscle and my weight loss will be slower, maybe I should cut down on my exercise...

What the heck?!?!?! I've never heard of such a thing. My understanding of a healthy lifestyle includes more than just what you eat, but also the activity you get. This really, really turned me off. I've been feeling great about my exercise routine and now LAWL is telling me it's too much, it's going to slow my weight loss? Honestly, I don't care if it slows my weight loss...I know by building muscle and raising my heart rate I'm getting healthy. It just makes me question how much these counselors really know.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm frustrated!!
Shell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #2  

I've never had that experience before but that is ridiculous!! Don't let anyone tell you you're exercising too much. Perhaps they thought you were discouraged by your loss of "only" one pound and were suggesting less exercise to be politically correct? (I think a pound a week is great, congratulations.)

Exercise could potentially slow weight loss only because it helps gain muscle mass. Exercising helps to tone your body so even if you're not losing weight, you'll end up looking a lot smaller. Gaining muscle will help you lose more weight in the long run (because muscle burns more weight than fat) and your body will overall a lot healthier. Whoever that counsellor was, they should rethink their tactics
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I would talk to someone above them. I hate to be a tattle tale but that is insane and i would hate to think they are dicouraging others about exercise as well.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Keep exercising. LAWL 101 teaches their counselors the same thing; exercise will slow up the weight loss. They are very focused on the number on the scale during your weight loss phase. They want you to steadily lose 2 lbs a week (I guess this is so they don't have to revise all their marketing materials??). In the end, anybody who is successful in weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle incorporates both eating right and exercise.

When I joined LAWL I was exercising 5+ hours a week, and they put me on a plan that included more food for my exercise; when I don't exercise that much, my plan changes.

Make sure your COD knows that you exercise, that you have no intentions of not exercising and that you do not want the LAWL 101 lecture on exercise when you "only" lose a pound!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #5  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

When my COD ask if I exercise? I tell them about 2-3 time a week. The truth is that I go walk my 2 mile every day on lunch. On the days I can't make it, I walk around my neighborhood. And I would drag my DH and DS with me. I believe that one must exercise to tone up. Don't want to loss all that weight and have flappy arms for example. Now I worry about winter coming soon, so I've asked my DH for a treadmill for Christmas. He agrees with me that I shouldn't be walking in the snow and the sleet... I'm very excited about my future new treadmill!! To think I can do my walk in the comfort of my home and watch CSI at the same time?! Life can't get any better. For me, at least...
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #6  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I think it has more to do with their 2 lb/week guarantee rather than actual knowledge. They all know that exercising is always a good thing, yes it will slow the actual loss as far as the number on the scale (which is ultimately what they "care" about) but of course you will be more fit/healthy/tone so you will lose more inches. This is a tricky part and for some it's tough to sacrifice the scale over the inches--just a choice. Many COD's will recommend waiting until you've lost the weight before exercise--again with the 2lb/week LAWL guarantee.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #7  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

oops--I guess Joni and I are on the same wavelength.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #8  

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoy exercising, and I'm not planning on slowing down...to heck with that counselor!!

Nancy-My entire exercising endeavor started with the treadmill I received for my birthday. I now tape my favorite shows and watch them while I'm on the treadmill...it's a little game I play with myself...no treadmill, no Grey's Anatomy!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202.8/173.8/124

Height: 5'5

I had that initially too. I had a lady, who with a straight face now mind you, told me she hadn't exercised since she was 21 and she was healthy. That she did not BELIEVE in exercise. But, you have to get the right counselor. I have one counselor who encourages me to lift once a week. However, I probably won't until I get near my goal weight- because I'm focused on my number due to the wedding. And I am kickboxing and stepping 5-6 days per week. But I had a NSV that made the workout all the more while..3 1/4 inches off my thighs in 1 month!
buffystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #10  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Wow Buffy - great results!

I exercise regularly, but haven't really told the COD how much - I'm over 5 hours between step, kickboxing and weight training. In the past they have been pretty supportive when I've told them what I'm doing, but I do know that the company line is not to encourage a lot of weight training until after weight loss.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #11  

Buffy-that's fantastic!

Kim-How do you like kickboxing? I've always wanted to try it.

I guess what the COD doesn't know won't hurt them, right?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #12  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I guess I had better get my a*^ moving...........I haven't intentionally excersized (had to think how to spell it..lol) since July. I do love walking on a treadmill.......I used to at the YMCA everyday.....but I ran into problems with the daycare, so that has been a battle. I have been thinking of getting a treadmill...........maybe santa should bring me one
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #13  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Nicole - you are exercising - you're running after your kids!

Michelle - I like the kickboxing, but I really love step. I think its because you need to keep your brain VERY involved, or you will go... whoop... off the step. The big thing with kickboxing is that you have to actually think of hitting something, otherwise you are not getting as much of a benefit from the movements.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am a 100% exercise advocate. Yes, sometimes heavy exercise will make the "pounds" lost a little slower-but in return your body gets smaller and firmer QUICKER! You are losing more fat, and keeping more muscle.

For example-two women who weigh 170 pounds can both lose 30 pounds. They both now weigh 140. The one who exercised is now firm and toned, and is wearing a size 7, while the one who did not exercise is still "jiggly" in spots, and wears a size 9-while the scale number is the same.
The scale doesn't tell the entire story...which "140 pound woman" would YOU rather be?
EXERCISE!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #15  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Nicole or anyone even thinking about getting a treadmill - I absolutely love my treadmill. I've had it for 10 years and never a bit of trouble. I must confess, it was pricey when I got it - close to $700 or $800. Make sure you test the treadmill out before just buying one. I was used to the very nice treadmills at the gym so I knew I needed a certain width for my arms to swing, and I needed the tread part to be long for when I want to take longer strides or go on an incline. Don't sacrifice a couple hundred dollars for quality. Shell, I'm with you. I tape some of my favorite shows and hop on the treadmill and it's painless to do 3+ miles. Matter of fact, I'm going to watch Biggest Loser on my extended lunch hour (I know it was a 2 hour show last night, but by the time I fast forward through all the commercials, it's only an hour workout!).
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote