Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #1  

Default OT...but would love your feedback

This is thread is a little evil but ya'll have been so helpful with all my other questions and respect your opinions.

In near future I will be opening a new restaurant. A dessert-only restaurant to be exact. I told you this was an evil thread! I'm on LAWL still so think how hard it is for me designing desserts that I can't eat (but DH is very helpful in that dept.)

I was hopeing soming of you would have some diet friendly desserts that I could include on my menu. Not neccessarily LAWL but low-fat/low-calorie. I'm also looking for some good vegan/vegetarian desserts if ya'll have any of those. I want to make sure I cover as much market as possible.

Also, I'd be happy to take any name suggestions. Just to give a little background...This is inspired by one of my best friends who diagnosed with a brain tumor a couple years ago and has the best outlook on life. Her motto is "Life is too short. I'll eat dessert whenever I want." She's honestly my hero. So, I want my restaurant to be a place where you can just hang out and be with your friends and enjoy great dessert without feeling like you have to eat a salad to be bad.

I'm thinking mid-scale, yet cozy. Thinking about Moroccan/jewel tone color scheme... deep purples, reds, oranges, yellows and blues. To me these colors say decadent and rich.

I'll be serving traditional desserts like cakes and pies but also other assorted pastries (very sinful). I'll serve various beverages from Soda to Wine to Coffee. My target is the 20 to 30 age range, women and couples.

I live in a college town, where there are a lot of international students. Also there is a Mercedes Benz plant here so lots of German Engineers are coming into the area. The area where I want to set up shop is in the heart of Downtown, very close to the University. There's going to be a brand new Federal Building in the near future. So lots of people moving into town.

I've brainstormed a few names (see below) but would love to hear some of your ideas.

Ganache, Delectable, Luscious, Blissful Temptations, Tempt Me, Redemption (pay for you sin), Original Sin, Indulge

Sorry this post is so long. But I'm really excited and would love your feedback.

Amanda
iheartsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #2  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Amanda how cool is that!!!! im excited for ya. What kind of time frame are you looking at?? for opening??

Possible Names:
Just Desserts
Desserts Unlimited
Indulgence
Sweet Tooth
Simply Delicious

Some other things you might want to add...

Fruit Salad(i have a really good recipe for one if you want)

Chess Pie (i have my granny's recipe for this one)

are you gonna do anything frozen?? I have a recipe for something called Kay's Dessert its got oreo's, choc. chip ice cream, hersey syrup, and cool whip yummmyyy but ooohhhh so not on plan lmao.

Are you gonna offer sugar free stuff??? Like angle food cake with strawberries???

Are you gonna do things to go like muffins, donuts, bakliva (sp?) cookies, brownies, tarts ect.

It sounds like you would be in an excellent location especially with the college and the new federal building. But also think about things like how many employees are you gonna have, are you gonna be doing all the baking?, how time consuming that will be. Will you offer delivery? Does the space you are looking at allow for any outdoor seating? This sounds like so much fun!!!! Let us know how things progress. Also let me know if you want any of those recipes to try.
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #3  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

How about a low-fat brownie sundae with sugar-free low-fat ice cream, sf choc syrup and cool whip free? With sliced bananas, or strawberries or raspberries?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #4  
Britt/LAWL~Red

JulieMarie would you care to make me one of those when im not on TO lol!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Oh Amanda, I am green with envy. My dream is to have a little restaurant. Good for you chickie. I liked "Original Sin". A low cal cheesecake is always an option. Have you ver had the one from TGI Fridays? It is really good. I will keep thinking and let you know if I have any brainstorms.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

Sure Britt! Why don't you come over tomorrow?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #7  
Britt/LAWL~Red

noooooooooooooo i will still be on TO lmao dont tempt me lol
Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Love the idea and concept. Many years ago a retired aunt opened a pie restaurant in the college town where she lived. It was a huge hit (of course the pies were great!). I think she called it Sweet Wishes. I was touched by your friends motto - Life is too short. I'll eat dessert whenever I want. Unfortunately, I've lived by that motto for too long and now I'm paying the price! I'll ponder name ideas later tonight when I'm not working and thinking about healthcare IT configurations!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #9  
Let's try this again . .

How about Life is Sweet?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

i like sweet indulgence, or original sin or just desserts.

Juliemarie i'll take 1 of those 2 after TO.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #11  
Let's try this again . .

Hey-I'll make em if you guys can get here
Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #12  

This is my first post but I've been reading for months...
Since your friend said life is short, it reminded me of a saying, "life is short, eat dessert first"

Dessert First? Just a suggestion!

*lindsey*
LindseyLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Don't forget flavored coffees and teas. Sometimes dessert in themselves.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #14  

Boston had a great restaurant (desserts only) called Finale. It was very gourmet, very chic. They had a counter where you could get your desserts (mini version) to go, or you could sit in, pay two to three times the price, but watch the chefs make your dessert to order. Their signature was their logo in gold leaf (edible) on all their desserts. Lots of truffles/cheesecakes and very decadent. We would hit it every time we ate out in the city.
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #15  

There's a dessert bar in Ottawa named "Oh So Good" And oh man... it's ohhhh so very good.

The place is always packed, so I definately think there is a market for a place like that.

And i think it will be even better with some lower calorie options for those who are watching what they are eating... Hahah I don't like to think about that when I'm picking out a dessert there... lol.
Linds81 is offline   Reply With Quote