3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/157482-beck-diet-solution-%96-december-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2008 04:45 AM

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group relating to the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007

BillBlueEyes 12-01-2008 05:28 AM

Monday - Welcome December

Diet Coaches - Cooked up the batch of greens that I had bought for my work lunches. CREDIT moi. LOL, I thought I had purchased Kale; took it from the stack of greens where the Kale is usually sold. Turns out it's Collard Greens. Fortunately, I like them also. I was distracted when I bought it by a lady buying about ten bunches - that's a lot of Collards. One more item I'd never cooked before. The big challenge is to remember that you're cooking Collards for 45 minutes without leaving the house or going too far to hear the timer bell go off. DW made extra Butternut Squash mashed with Matzu Apple - yummy. Those two, plus some leftover turkey, and I'm set for lunch this week.

angelmoma210 - Yep, Kudos for having your head on straight about Thanksgiving, "today is a new day." Sending supportive thoughts that this is the week that you and DH receive a positive outcome on his saga at work.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for DS having a "screaming fit." Double Ouch for the Sabotaging Thought "I have failed my son." BTDT. It's an awful feeling when my DS's life isn't like a Norman Rockwell painting and I feel that my limitations contributed. BIG Kudos for joining the Y and Kudos for planning out your exercise week. What a great start for December.

Thanks for the reminder that fewer dishes supports eating less. Which reminds me that where we usually eat Thanksgiving dinner, a ham is also served. And I always have some ham as well as some turkey rather than choosing one or the other. Still have some work to do on meals served buffet style.

Your consolation prize is the old Catch 22 safety net: Anyone who is clear enough to channel a cartoon character is declared sane. Next.

Readers -
"When it seems unfair that I can't eat something, acknowledge that I'm right. Then ask myself, Which unfairness would I rather have: not being able to eat this or not losing weight? Then say, Oh Well, and get on with it." Beck, pg 186.

AnneWonders 12-01-2008 08:39 AM

Happy December! Just a quick swing by this morning to say that DS is completely fine this morning. I however, am exhausted, level 8, and am hereby going back to bed now that the kids are at daycare and see if I can catch a couple hours. I may have to postpone or even skip my workout today, and my oil change is now tomorrow, but OH WELL!!

Catch you all later this evening!

Anne

Olive2 12-01-2008 09:27 AM

Hello all,

I'm back from my trip. Hope you all had a good week. I'll have to go back and catch up on the old thread.

Well, I didn't follow through on any of my plans. I brought the book, but didn't open it once. Brought my laptop, but never checked in here. Didn't read my AR cards, didn't follow any of the steps I'd done so far. Alas, it was a lost week. I did have a great trip though. I'll just jump right back in where I was before I left. Today I'll review the first 12 steps and start step 13, overcome cravings.

Anne - have a great nap!

Bill - your lunches for the week always sounds great. Enjoy those greens.

kuhljeanie 12-01-2008 10:10 AM

happy december, my coaches!

had a wonderful couple of days off, yet glad to be back. all that time with el nino is fantastic and stressful at the same time. this morning, all was norman rockwell (thanks, bill!) until i started putting his new boots on. it was hard to tell right from left, and i put the first boot on the wrong foot. as i took it off, the kid started SCREAMING and didn't calm down until i got his foot booted again (not easy since he was kicking.) i guess he thought i was teasing him, since he's been excited about wearing these boots since we bought them last week. holy moly - the mood swings are intense. he got very upset at DH scratching my back. pushed him away with one word - "mine." ladies and gentleman, we have officially entered the terrible twos! on the plus side, he's super lovey, very verbal (haven't quite decided if this is good or bad) and generally has a pretty good time. he happily ate an entire can of green beans yesterday (straight from the can. yick.)

trying to figure out what's going to happen to our vacation. we still haven't heard back from our tour company - apparently they did lose someone on the tour to the gunfight. it's horrifying. my mom thinks they'll run it and re-route around mumbai. i'm not sure that i'd want to go anyway at this point. it would be hard to relax and enjoy, wkim?

glad to be back on my routine, too. if i spent more days at home with the kid, i'd get it together so i could work out there. as it is, it's much easier to get my exercise in at work. there's a rec center in kettering that's super cheap and very close that i might join, but that assumes childcare there, or negotiating with DH. i'm going to hold off until after the holidays. it may not be worth it.

still losing! i'm officially down to 171.5, closing in on the 160s. unbelievable. 1 1/2 lbs to my next charm!

anne, hope you get some rest!!! days like that are TOUGH. bill, in agreement with olive. sounds yummy! and olive, hop on board. no worries! :)

cheers all!

RobinW 12-01-2008 10:15 AM

Good Morning

Bill~ Kudos for your lunch planning! This has me wondering what everyone else is bringing for lunches. The first time I had collard greens was when I moved to buffalo and my husband took me to a real BBQ joint. Unfortunately now, that's the only way I like them cooked :lol:

So what does everyone bring for lunches?

Anne~ oh how wonderful that you can slip a nap in this morning!! Enjoy!

Olive~ Kudos for getting right back to it. Im glad you had a nice little holiday.

This was a particularly difficult weekend for me. Lots of self realization, lots of feeling sorry for myself, and an epiphany. We need a smiley that pats itself on the back!! Im in a better place this morning and feeling like the 100+lbs I need to loose isnt really the problem, it's me and my attitude. I plan to take off early today, go home and redo my beck cards, get some grocery shopping done, and clean up.........things need to be put in order.

With tv being upstairs now, with the treadmill...this is posing a problem. I dont want to walk when hubby or dd is in there because it makes too much noise. I dont like walking in the early morning because I just dont get the workout I get later in the day or evening. Simply because Im not awake yet.

Getting the treadmill set up someplace else in the house is one of the first things that needs to be put in order.

December 1st is a brand new day :sunny: I plan to make the most of it :D

Have a great day everyone!

thinkerbell 12-01-2008 01:07 PM

Hi all you wonderful "THIN-kers"!

My book finally came in at Barnes & Nobles....or should I say I was finally able to swing by and buy it! Woo-hoo!

After my Thanksgiving melt-down, I believe it came right on time....I can't wait to get started....over this long week-end, I noticed that I do have self-sabotaging thoughts and I am excited to learn new strategies....I am afraid to step on the scale to see the damage I've done...eeek.....but I did notice that official "weighing in" does not occur til a little later on....good for me!...I can live in denial a bit longer.....as I definitely need some coping strategies to not beat myself up and give up!

Well, it's official....I am starting today!

God speed,
thinkerbell

bennyhannahmama 12-01-2008 09:08 PM

A New Month and a New Week!

Diet Coaches: I'm struggling. My mom is here visiting and that's tough on so many levels. Whenever I'm doing well with weight loss, food issues, etc. I feel guilty as if I'm leaving her behind on the "other side". She's always talking about trying to lose weight, eating better, etc. But my WHOLE life she's been doing that and I have this great fear of turning into her. I don't want to share my experience/success with anyone right now (kind of feel like it jinxes me) and I definitely don't want to talk to her about any of it. She's constantly making comments about what she has/hasn't been eating and I don't say anything whenever she does this-- I just cringe on the inside. The other day I told her that I have a hard time with hearing her talk about food, etc. and asked her not to anymore. I was very proud of myself for doing that :broc:

My brother passed away this past September, and this is the first time I've seen my mom since his funeral. She's not doing so great with it (understandably) which also makes it difficult to be around her. She also drives me crazy (and my kids a lot) in general and many of her annoying habits that had gotten better are now back in full force since my brother's death. Then there's just the difficulty of having someone around me, talking, etc. ALL the time! She's always in my space, never goes off on her own or even up to her bedroom. Always up late, watching tv, etc. ARGGHHH! It's just making it very difficult for me to concentrate on me.

I did finally make my new ARC and printed them out on the little business size cards and put them on a ring. :broc: I've been doing okay with food and exercise which is good :broc: I haven't been able to concentrate on even the first week's topics, let alone moving forward. So, that is where I am.

Bill I just made greens for the first time this summer! I bought a bunch at a local farmers' market and the farmer gave me a yummy recipe. I keep forgetting which kind I bought though, I think it was kale (that's pretty mild right?) Since then I've made mustard greens (didn't like those, too bitter) and collard greens (also a little bitter, but not too bad.) The recipe is really yummy-- onion, olive oil, a can of beans (black, kidney, pinto) and some balsamic vinegar. I just steam the greens on the stove. What way of preparing them takes 45 minutes?

Anne Glad to hear DS is doing better and I hope you got a great nap in! Please don't beat yourself up about the nursing thing-- I think you are doing a fantastic job!

Olive Welcome back! No worries, I've been around and working the program and I'm still only concentrating on the first week :) Glad to hear you had a good trip. Oh and I think practicing "oh well" would be perfect for this past week. It's helped me keep some minor set-backs or poor decisions in perspective where in the past those could very well set me in a tail-spin.

Jeanie
Glad you enjoyed your time with the little one. Do I dare tell you that from my experience (and most other people I speak with), the Terrible Twos really aren't anything? Three is HARD! (Okay, where's the duck and run smiley?)

I totally get you on the whole trip thing, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near India-- how sad. I hope it all works out okay for you and your mom.

I've been contemplating joining a gym too, but I'm holding off for now.
Congrats on your weight loss-- very happy for you!

Robin
Yeah for epiphanies! I usually bring some kind of frozen meal for lunch:
Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, South Beach or Kashi are my usual choices.

Good for you for getting back on track! There is definitely something motivating about a new month on a Monday :D

Thinkerbell Yeah for getting the book! I'm currently still using my library copy of the book, but I'm looking forward to buying my own copy soon and marking it up with highlighters, etc. I would also like to get the workbook at some point too.

See what I said to Jeanie about December 1st and Monday-- great day to start :D

Have a good night everyone!

AnneWonders 12-01-2008 09:56 PM

Diet coaches Today I'm reporting on Day 27 and 28. Day 27 is Master the Seven Question Technique. I analyze my sabotaging thoughts about 80 different ways, using everything from logic to observation to humor and even the occasional good natured self-mockery--see the Homer Simpson thing at the end of last month's thread. The one rule I have is not to beat myself up, and I usually manage to follow that. Usually. Day 28 is Get Ready to Weigh In. Since I do this pretty much daily and record it in my spreadsheet if the weigh-in fits certain parameters (same time of day, same clothing, no atypical eating, sickness or prolonged exercise/race the day before).

Confession: I have two reminder emails to read my ARC, and I only get it once a day. I suppose I should start reading. I could read the words, but not so much into feeling it today. Hmmm. And there's the should word, which means...

Sabotaging thought: I don't want to read my ARC card. Response: I've spent longer messing avoiding it than it would take to just read the card. It can't possibly hurt, and it could help.

Ok, card read. Not so bad. I don't think that matches any of the thinking errors. Just brain lock.

Sigh. Plan for tomorrow, since I'm feeling so unmotivated to do anything right now. I'm going to pack my lunch & snacks for tomorrow. I'm going to pack my gym bag. Tomorrow, I'm going to get up, cry, and then get on with it. Slob around on the internet for a bit, change the oil (opens at 7), then go to work. After work, I'm going to the Y, get my photo card made, do the elliptical for about 30 minutes or until I cry again, and figure out any sort of strength training plan (since I realized my NRLW is off limits until next Wednesday due to foot issues). Shower, return stuff to Target, pick up children. Home, play, nurse, make dinner, eat, baths, bedtimes, and then I get to sit down and breathe, if DS doesn't wig out again. :idea: Ah, I see, I'm feeling overwhelmed and I just don't want to have to do another d@mn thing. That's why I don't want to read my cards. If I do one more thing, I'm gonna go absolutely nuts. That is exaggeration and negative fortune telling.

If I keep whining publicly, I'll soon reach enlightenment! When I was in grad school my text editor had a mode where it acted like a psychologist. Emacs. Anybody else remember?

Posting before it vanishes! BRB with personals.

Anne

AnneWonders 12-01-2008 10:13 PM

Bill I never did develop a taste for greens of any sort, and even spinach is sort of problematic, unless it is raw and in salad form. You have my admiration and respect for eating them.

Olive2 I think you need to give yourself a great big credit for coming back to BDS and here after your break. That is a BIG thing.

Jeanie Ouch on the terrible twos. We just got past that, and have moved happily into the funk that is substituting for sibling rivalry. I love the boot story though! Of course, that could easily be my morning tomorrow.

RobinW Congrats on your epiphany! I hope you get your treadmill thing figured out. Maybe you could ask your family if it bothers them or if they can work around it somehow? Maybe it isn't a problem?

thinkerbell I'm not sure the first step is the hardest, but it is hard. Good for you for starting.

Kim sounds like you are dealing with your mother in a very positive way, even if it is difficult and uncomfortable for you. It is ok to wait til your visit is over to move on, if that works out better.

My nap was kind of lousy--I had trouble getting to sleep, and after about 20 minutes, I had a nightmare (banged head, bleeding children) and got up.

OK. Two more questions for anyone (including lurkers) who may know:

1) Anybody have any experience with FitLinxx? My Y has it and it looks interesting.

2) Anybody have any experience with Martha Beck's The Four Day Win? I'm reading it, and find it has some interesting ideas, but I'm not convinced that the four day concept is really real, having failed spectacularly at that sort of thing in the past. It also is a book to "fix" me, but as Bill said in an earlier thread, I don't feel like I'm broken. However, that doesn't mean that I can't pick and choose some of the better ideas from it.

Anne

RobinW 12-01-2008 10:21 PM

My end of the day report....

I got out of the shop by 1pm, but forgot to eat my lunch before I left. So that meant making smart choices when I was hungry. I headed over to the book store, because I was on a mission. I found a book called "Why Can't I Stop Eating" ....ordered a grande coffee, and sat down to have a look see if this was the book I needed to accompany my Dr. Beck teachings. Yes......I think it just might be. I'll let you know.

Then I did some running around, picked up more protein powder, eggs, toothpaste and moisturizer. By the time I got home it was time to start supper. Then I managed to drag hubby off to the apple store to get some questions answered, and he actually helped me with some christmas shopping for his grandkids!! YAH!

Ok....so I didnt get alot done around the house. BUT, I managed to get the dining room table cleared of the clutter! Yah me! :cb: I plan to stay home tomorrow from the shop and get everything done tomorrow that I wanted to get done today.

Progress!!!!!!

Good night :D

BillBlueEyes 12-02-2008 05:43 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches - Good planning: I did make it to the gym on Sunday and, indeed, Monday was so tight it would have been impossible. CREDIT moi. My collard greens were tasty, which is good since that's for lunch again today. Thanks for the reminder, Anne, that it's a gift to like greens (and many vegetables). What we like, just as what we believe, seems to me to be a gift that isn't easily altered.

Jeanie (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on the continued weight loss. Kudos to el nino for eating green beans - that's a good start kido toward a healthy eating life. LOL at "mine." Clear. Terse. Definitive. The kid might write like Ernest Hemingway. Good luck with your vacation plans; I shudder when I think of how close you were to being at the Taj Mahal. Sunday I spoke with a guy with fond memories of the many times he's stayed there and the several grand weddings he's attended there. Just read this morning that it will be several years before it reopens.

Robin (RobinW) - Yep, the proper way to cook greens is with ample pork fat. That's the way we had them as kids. Big Kudos on your "epiphany." Now that's marching forward. And Kudos for clearing the dining room table, I know how easy it is for that to attract stuff.

angelmoma210 - Waving. Sending supportive thoughts for the saga.

Anne (wndranne) - Yah that DS is fine. Heart pounds that you fondly recall Emacs - now there's an editor that needed to go on a diet, LOL. But it could do anything. Kudos for marching forward into day 27 Master the Seven Question Technique. Did you solve a problem with that? I only used it once, thought it was the greatest idea ever, but haven't incorporated it into my regular thinking. Perhaps, LOL, I need to use the Seven Question Technique to figure out why I don't use it more often.

I understand that "I'm gonna go absolutely nuts" is indeed "exaggeration and negative fortune telling." Good demo there of Thinking Errors. But also a good reminder to me that exaggeration might be sitting on a real situation, e.g. you really are facing a busy life right now. Kudos for continuing to charge forward with nursing and working and mothering and wife-ing as well as planning for eating and exercising.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Sending warm sympathies for the recent loss of your brother. That's a tough one

Ouch for the reality of your mother so full time in your face. Kudos for keeping sane one day at a time with that.

Yep, that's the order of bitterness: spinach, kale, mustard greens, collard greens. Your recipe sounds good, think I'll try it. I steamed the collard greens on the stove top; you'll find that they take 45 minutes to tame them. Methinks the time increases from spinach to collards.

Olive (Olive2) - Welcome back from your trip and welcome to jumping right back on board. LOL at lugging a book for a week that remains unread. BTDT many times myself.

thinkerbell - Kudos for already recognizing Sabotaging Thoughts. Welcome aboard getting started. As you can read, there are several people on the early days - so you have good company.

Readers -
"Remind yourself that dieting is not difficult most hours of the week." Beck, pg 190.

thinkerbell 12-02-2008 07:44 AM

Good morning!

I am wondering how you'all are able to respond and remember everyone's posts so thoughtfully....I am quite impressed by this and I must admit it may take me a bit to get the hang of it. Do you write it down as you read and then type a post? It's a little mind-boggling on you are able to do this....but it is something that makes this thread very warm and welcoming and supportive. Good job!

How many advantages do you'all have on your ARC's? I fear I may have over-done it with 25 reasons....should I whittle it down? or am I on target?

Bennyhannamama~ I didn't even realize it was the 1st and a Monday! Thanks for pointing that out.....feels like a good sign! Good for you to ask for what you needed and setting a limit and boundary around talking about food with your mom. Kudos you! It also sounds as if you have alot of awareness surrounding all that's going on....hang in there and hold on.....this too shall pass.

Anne~ wow! you have awesome awareness....I really admire that! and such a busy day.....I can see why you don't want to add another "to do".....hmmm, how do your cards make you feel after you read them?

Anne~ I did the CD set of the 4 Day Win......I remember liking it as it was a very gentle appoach but I don't really remember much else.....I guess it didn't stick with me. I passed it off to someone who was "sick" of always dieting....and never got it back nor did I get any feedback back. One thing I remember liking was her Plan A-B-C-D for exercize....Plan D was for when you are sick or life is very chaotic and it included "fidgeting!"

Thinkerbell aka Andrea

thinkerbell 12-02-2008 07:57 AM

Robin ~ I know what you mean about clearing the dining room table! When it is uncluttered it feels so much better...kinda like having no dishes in the sink or the bed made.....my dining room table is a hot spot for "dumping" ...little things mean alot! Kudos you!

Bill ~ it is a gift to like veggies! and some I know love exercize....I did not get that gift naturally but I am working on it! BTW, thanks again for the warm welcome and keeping this thread active and alive....I think I just got the hang of the individualized responese by using the quick response so I can refer back to the posts.....it is something very special about this thread. Good job!

God speed!
thinkerbell aka Andrea

AnneWonders 12-02-2008 08:38 AM

Diet coaches Today I weighed in and I'm exactly where I was last week, which is down 3 lbs. I was prepared for this because 3 lbs is a big number for a week, I'm now nursing part-time so my caloric needs are a bit lower and my food intake has remained about the same, and I'm a little sore from biking on Sunday which causes swelling and water retention. I'd like to shave off a 100 or so junky calories from my diet, and I think I can make some (relatively) painless adjustments. I like to eat two of everything small, like 2 cookies or 2 dark chocolate squares. There is just no reason for that, other than habit, and I can still have my cookie (singular) and eat it too. ...Trying not to overthink the fact that Bill comes and talks about greens and I come and talk about cookies... :o

Today I'll do Day 29 Resisting Food Pushers, and I think it might have some tips. I've never had a major issue with this one, since I'm a relatively straightforward person when it comes to that kind of thing, and the second time I say no, well, frankly there are a lot of people who don't like me a whole lot since I have a limited amount of tact and use it sparingly. :devil: BDS doesn't deal with pushed food that is resistible in and of itself (usually of the non-chocolate variety) and there are a whole slew of techniques for dealing with that, including cutting it up and pushing it around, taking a single bite and "losing" the plate at a party, etc, etc. The trick is knowing what is resistible and what isn't.

I need to be sort of careful at my workout today--my knee is bothering me after the hilly ride on Sunday. I could throw my swimming suit in my bag so I have a back-up workout. Maybe I'll do that. I don't want to, but I'm not committing to it or anything....Hmmm. Done. Options are always good.

RobinW Nice work on making smart choices while hungry! I must admit I always have a hard time doing that. Let us know how the book is! It must feel great to have the table decluttered.

Bill Enjoy your greens today! Thanks for the observation that I'm really in a tough situation with the kids, and work, and and and. That is true. But, I have a tendency sometimes to look at all the small tasks to do and get overwhelmed. If I can focus on one task at a time, I do much better, or if I can step back and look at the big picture and eliminate some small tasks (who really cares if I vacuum tomorrow instead of today, as long as it gets done before MIL comes). I made a to do list today, all very manageable tasks, some marked optional. Now if I can only find where I put it...LOL on you remembering emacs! While it was a step up from vi, it wasn't nearly as bloated as, say, Word is. I believe it is still around.

thinkerbell/Andrea Thanks for your thoughts on The Four Day Win. I think I like the meditative aspects of it. Step back, breathe, and be the Watcher. I'm not convinced by the 4 day thing, and one section I was reading last night says you need 5 linked 4 day wins to make it really stick. 5 x 4 is 20, of course, but that wouldn't sell a book, because if you had to do something for 20 days, that might be hard.

I probably have about 15 things on my ARC. I would think 100 would be fine, if they were all meaningful to you.

I do my responses by hitting the [Go Advanced] button at the bottom of the page to reply, and then as I type each response, I scroll down and reread what everyone wrote, since I have a 30 sec attention span and no short term memory to speak of. As long as I don't go more than a day or two, usually everyone's responses will be on the same screen, and if it goes longer than that, well, I've got bigger problems, and you all get a fly-by. ;)

Have a good one, everyone.

Anne

kuhljeanie 12-02-2008 10:29 AM

happy tuesday my coaches!

our travel company (tauck) is still determining whether or not to run the dec 11 tour. my mom and i decided that if tauck feels it's safe, we're going to go for it. they've got a lot more people on the ground and decades of experience to inform their decision, and we have CNN. they run tours in all kinds of places with problems (kenya, thailand, etc.) so they've got a better knowledge base to make the call. if they cancel, we've got a plan B. so i'm good (although DH is worried and doesn't want me to go.)

andrea, i was thinking about your ARC question, and realized i haven't read my list in a long time! i'm enjoying the actual advantages a lot more these days, so haven't needed the boost. i've got 17, and for a while i was going through the motions, so rather than just read them twice a day, i'd pick one or two and write about them here. it helped drive home why they matter to me, and halted the "roteness" of the exercise. i eventually got through all of them, and that's when i stopped reading the whole list every day. i don't think the actual number matters; what's important is that you start internalizing the importance of them to you, and that they're right at the forefront of your mind. sometimes when one of us falls off the wagon, we usually say something like "i don't really care if i lose weight or not," and that's exactly when you need those ARCs.

anne, go ON with your bad self, figuring out that you're feeling overwhelmed, and that's where the "shoulds" are coming from. love that you packed your suit to give yourself plan B if the knee continues to bother. i'm also a fan of drivin' and cryin' (on the treadmill, that is.) i get so red and sweaty, who can tell if i'm crying? (it's only a problem if people notice, if they're nice people who want to talk to you or help, and you're just crying because it's a great release.) and arrggh - seriously - the terrible threes? are you kidding me? :yikes: what the heck, he's a great kid. i'm sure it's character building (for me, that is. :))

bill, the greens sound lovely. could one add liquid smoke without adverse health risks? and yep, the kid's on his way to eating a much better diet than i used to. he's only had brown rice pasta, and sunday night he wolfed down 4 oz of halibut, which was meant to be my dinner. MINE! :)

robin, hello! is the treadmill on that list? wish i had one at home...what kind do you have?

kim, that sounds like a big bummer. how long is she staying? so sorry to hear about your brother. it's tough - and really tough that your mom's less-than-desirable habits are back in force. emotional pain wreaks such havoc!

olive, glad you're back in the saddle! beating cravings is wonderful and liberating!

angelmomma210 12-02-2008 02:04 PM

Hey all...Thanksgiving was great..just dh and I. No word on the saga yet. Was in a-fib again...it is gettin to be a drag. Will be talking to dr about it on the 22nd. Doing a little better today...was driving my school bus during the a-fib. It was not all that bad, but it did cause me to be in it a little longer as it is hard to relax when you have 60 students on the bus. Am okay now....just tired. Well have to go back in a few. Have a great day.

twilit tera 12-02-2008 02:06 PM

Well, for over an hour I've been trying to use "Go Advanced" to post, so I could do personals. The pain level has been creeping up gradually all this time and I think I've had it. The forum is just not cooperating. (I can be stubborn when it matters to me.)

Never made the music class, haven't been to a class since the Tuesday before last, but my professors know what's going on and are willing to work with me.

Dr.s appointment was yesterday. It cost $700 after the 20% cash discount, the bulk of which my mother paid. I received a corticosteroid shot in the knee and the hip, and I'm waiting for that to kick in. He gave me a scrip for physical therapy, but I can't afford the whole program, not even with family's help. The plan at this point is to go to the eval and request exercises I can do on my own at the health club. I wish the club had a "deep end", because I expect it would really help improve my range of motion to have all that space to move around in. I'll have to do my best without deep water exercises.

I haven't been on plan at all since 11/22. Today, I picked up my journal and wrote at the top of today's page "BACK ON PLAN FOR ME"

I am going to go lay down right now and give myself a chance to stop hurting before coming back to take care of a few school related tasks. Tomorrow I expect to feel much better.

I told DH that he'd know when I felt okay because he'd come home to a clean house. :^:

bennyhannahmama 12-02-2008 09:53 PM

Diet Coaches
Felt a little bit better today. If nothing else, my therapist validated for me how incredibly annoying my mother is and how difficult to deal with! Decided to set up some boundaries for this upcoming weekend when my dad comes to visit too (my parents have been divorced for 25 years and get along okay). The original plan was to have my mom stay in my bedroom with me while my dad stays in the guest room. No way I can deal with her staying in my bedroom-- it's the only space I have right now and I need it. So either my dad can stay at Ross' house or the kids can share a bedroom at my house and my mom can stay in DD room.
Tried to focus on the BDS today, but mom wasn't quiet for very long so that made it difficult!

Oh and the $ I was waiting for came in and I was about to order the book on Amazon when I saw that the softcover book is due to be released in February. I think I'd really prefer the paperback, but not sure that I want to wait until February. Would love any thoughts/opinions on this.

I was very conscious of no nibbling while standing today :broc:
I was mindful and slow with my eating about 80-85% of the time :broc:
I read my ARC this morning and will do it again now before I go to bed :broc:
I was good about giving myself credit this morning, but then slipped as the day continued.
I checked in here :broc:

Anne I read my ARC when I'm brushing my teeth in the morning and at night, would this work for you?
Sounds like you're doing a great job plugging along with the book. Thanks for sharing your response cards, it really helps me think about the ones I need to make!

Thanks for the suggestion of just being okay with not moving on in the book until my mom leaves. I won't definitely resign myself to that plan, but I will be okay with it if that's the way it works out.

Sorry, never heard of the Linxfit (or whatever it's called).

As far as the 4 Day Win-- do you realize this is not the same Beck? This is by Martha Beck, not Judith Beck. I may be stating the obvious and you may know that, but I know when I was first doing some web research on Judith I got the two confused. I don't know anything about the book though.

Robin
Sounds like you had a good day, even if it wasn't how you had originally planned it. I'd definitely be curious to hear your review of the book you mentioned.

Bill Kudos for going to the gym and the good planning! Thanks for always putting a quote from the book, I find them very helpful. I never seem to have my book near me when I'm posting!

Andrea

Looks like you're getting the hang of the personals! (I do a lot of scrolling up and down to remember what I wanted to respond to.)

I probably have about 20-25 responses (I have each one on a small individual card.) I would say keep all of them now and then you might want to re-do them in the future. I know for me I got frustrated by some of mine being redundant and also realized that there were some I wanted to add so I re-did them accordingly.

Glad to have you on board with all of us.

Anne
You've posted twice since I last posted, so I'm going to respond separately.
First of all, this
Quote:

Trying not to overthink the fact that Bill comes and talks about greens and I come and talk about cookies...
totally made me LOL- thanks!

Second, I think that's a really smart strategy with reducing those things to one item. You're right, it is just habit. Now that I've been super conscientious about not taking little nibbles here and there, I realize that I must have been consuming many extra calories doing that. (Even just licking the spoon after serving my kids mac & cheese, etc.) Do you ever taste, lick or bite? Eliminating any of that may help too.
I think it's great that you braced yourself for staying the same weight (and I agree that 3lbs is a big #), but I'm sure it was still a little bit difficult. Hang in there and you know the scale will make it up to you soon :)

BillBlueEyes 12-03-2008 05:42 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches - Squeezed in my gym even though I had class last night; CREDIT moi. Haven't yet tired of leftover turkey, which is good because there's more. DW made turkey soup for dinner using the stock she made from the carcass. That was mighty fine eating. It's one of the benefits of my healthy lifestyle journey that I can find such joy in a simple soup, instead of my old life where I might feel annoyed that we didn't have a real meal with huge portions of meat. Yah for the journey.

Jeanie (kuhljeanie) - Neat that you're keeping India as a travel option; would love to go there myself someday. LOL at el nino wolfing MINE's halibut. I sense a future healthy food addict. Maybe you'll teach him how to cook. The liquid smoke idea might work; I'll give that a try next time.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving.

angelmoma210 - Ouch for a-fib; Kudos for staying on the bus. Sending supportive thoughts for the conclusion of the saga.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for doing the Dr.'s visit, and Kudos for figuring out to get exercises that you can do at home or the health club. Ouch for the continued pain. Sending supportive thoughts for you to work through this.

Anne (wndranne) - Yah for biking, Ouch for sore. Congrats for the 3 pounds. Just amazing that you can stick to a losing plan while nursing - good job. LOL at "Trying not to overthink the fact that Bill comes and talks about greens and I come and talk about cookies..." It's just three months til Saint Patrick's Day and we call all talk about green cookies.

Yep, I loved vi; I was uber-facile using a DEC terminal with 5 screens open whipping data around and about. I miss the joy of using good software and good hardware like DEC and the old HP equipment. I like the cost of the ultra-cheap Gateway and Dell stuff that we all buy like potato chips, but the razor sharp screens and smooth scrolling of DEC displays were a pleasure.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Kudos for remaining sane with too much of anyone in your face, especially your mother. Neat that you're working out a sleeping plan that reserves some private space for yourself.

I can't remember, are you currently using a library copy of Beck? My thought is that owning vs. library isn't important (so February would be fine), but that having a book available is important. (Just saw that Amazon has "Used - Like New" for $4.96 + $3.99 shipping, so that could be an option.)

Andrea (thinkerbell) - To write individual responses, I open two windows, each with [ Go Advanced ]. Then I flip back and forth using the CNTL-TAB key pair. Since I can scroll the one being used only for reading, I can easily refer to the post as I type.

I have 22 items on my Advantages Response Card,, that's whittled down, sorted and adjusted over 14 months - comparable to your 25. There was benefit to me to keep working them over so that I could feel each one as I read it.

And thank you for the kind words. I agree, this is a warm and welcoming thread. I too am grateful to all the good folk who put much energy into their contributions.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
Dieting is too hard
... "
Beck, pg 193.

AnneWonders 12-03-2008 08:37 AM

Diet Coaches I had a massage scheduled for yesterday. I completely and totally forgot and when I got home and found the message from my therapist on the machine, I just literally cried. How can I remember to take the Dora the Explorer doll that DH and I both bought back to Target, and yet forget one of the few nice things I do for myself?? I'm interpreting this as proof that I am overwhelmed, and need to rest my brain. (Perhaps my first clue could have been when things like shower and go to work show up on my to do list so I don't forget.)

Also, my sprained/broken foot, ground up biking knee, newly remodeled tooth, nursing breasts all hurt, and now I've got my second sore throat and headache in two weeks as I start catching DS's latest day care fun.

So.

I am hereby taking some time off. MIL is coming, and with DH's marathon, things are going to fall to me a lot.

The Plan for the Interim I will continue to monitor my eating and get spontaneous exercise when I can. If I feel like it, or need to get out of the house, I'll go to the Y, but am not making plans. I will pop in here daily to lurk, perhaps post a short message, or respond to something that seems important. I will start again with Beck day 29 on Monday or Tuesday after MIL leaves, and check back in with a progress report and personals.

Bill I love soup. Sometimes I even manage to sneak greens or peas into my soup so I'll actually eat them. We don't get much here because DH hates it (too soupy!!). Enjoy!

Kim Good thinking on the sleeping arrangements. Hmmm, I'm working on this flossing thing (5 days in a row) and so I think all my tooth brushing mental energy is going there. Ha! But a good thought. I'd like to find a way for my Google calendar to mail the whole thing to myself.

Martha Beck is certainly NOT Judith Beck. In some ways I like reading Martha's stuff better because her writing is clever and funny. But in the end I'm not reading this to be entertained. BDS helps change your thoughts and thereby feelings so you stick to a diet plan, meet your goals, and have a better adjusted life in general. 4DW tries to "fix" you. While 4DW seems to have some good ideas (including a big emphasis on the very important sleep/fatigue/adrenal burnout issues that BDS doesn't touch), and I'll probably try to implement some of them, the bottom line for me is that I'm either not broken, or not fixable and I have to work with what I've got. BDS is a better fit for me, and quite frankly, even though I've done CT on my own for years, my poor over-tired brain is needing the structure of the daily task and 4DW is more free-form.

Thanks for posting the licks, bites, & tastes advice. I'm actually really good about that one. I decided years ago I wasn't going to be my children's trash can, and I'll sometimes eat their uneaten unadorned vegetables or fruit, but that's about it.

Tera Glad you're going to the doctor, and glad you are back on plan. These are some very positive steps.

angelmomma210 That a-fib sounds very frightening! I'm glad you are talking to your doctor.

Jeanie I think your approach to your trip is an excellent one. Using information and experience instead of fear to make the decision! I hope however it turns out, you get a relaxing, interesting, and enjoyable trip. Confession: I didn't make it to the Y yesterday to either swim or ellip. I got out of the house about 30 minutes late, and the oil change ran 30 minutes long, and well, time flew. And I felt physically ill (see above), so I took 15 minutes for a pricey cup of coffee and a few deep breaths instead. Not as good as a run (or OUCH a massage), but it had to do.

I'll be doing quick check-ins for the next week, and then back with you!

Anne

kuhljeanie 12-03-2008 09:53 AM

morning my coaches!

sleepy tired today because i was watching the Tivo last night, as a treat. DH was working late, and historically this would be a prime occasion for a binge. amazing that the thought didn't occur to me until just now. my binge was tv watching, by myself, in bed, whatever i wanted to watch. two glorious hours of doing absolutely nothing. i can't remember the last time i watched TV for two hours! junk food for my brain. aaaahhh...somehow i'm still up a lb and a half today, just goes to show me!

didn't make it to the gym yesterday. work is getting heavy - a lot to finish up before next tuesday. everyone else is working on a different schedule. today i go - no question. i miss it when i don't do it, and i'm lucky to be injury-free.

today we should find out about india. i've got completely mixed feelings, no matter which way it goes. realized that part of my hesitance is about being away from el nino for 3 full weeks. he's going to be really pissed at me, and three weeks is a lot of development to miss. and yep, bill, we've already started his cooking lessons. got him a set of child-sized pots and pans (they're working models - thanks, IKEA!) and spoons, ladle, and spatula. he likes the noise they make, and he uses the spatula as a pretend-microphone when he sings. it's really cute - makes me less likely to want to kill him when he "asserts" himself so charmingly. :) i wish i liked chicken/turkey soup - just never have (unless it's got matzah balls in it.)

anne, i SO relate to how you're feeling! had a couple of weeks this spring when i was studying for finals (grad degree), training for a half-marathon, tentatively starting a side business, packing my house for a move, and oh yeah, working full time AND being a parent to a very young child. there were weeks when i was sure i would snap. i would walk into a room and literally have no idea why i'd gone in. and i was exhausted, all the time, and couldn't sleep. whatever you need to do to take care of yourself - that's exactly what you should be doing. between your injuries, adjusting physically AND emotionally to a change in nursing, you're probably sick, and taking the lion's share of childcare - that's a whole, whole lot. recovery will make all the difference in weight loss! i had to tell myself (several times) not to worry about it, the fat would still be there when i was ready to work on it again. and it was! :) and BTW - great job on the flossing!

onebyone, if you're lurking, i'm thinking about you and hoping you're okay!

tera, so sorry to hear that you're still in such pain. keeping my fingers crossed that you can get what you need from PT for the right price. i have no doubt that you're plenty self-directed to do what you need to do. we have ample evidence of your strength!

angelmomma, hope things sort themselves out soon!

hi kim! validation is great - but keeping your mom out of your bedroom is even better. :) go you for taking steps to making that work. wheeee boundaries! and ditto bill on getting a used copy.

have a great wednesday, all!

RobinW 12-03-2008 10:39 AM

:wave: Just a quickie, there is alot I want to say to everyone but time is chrunched at the moment. I'll get back later tonight when I take my time.

Got the house cleaned!!! Yah me :cb: :cb: Got 5 pointsettias bought and arranged, big huge pot of onplan soup made for my lunches this week, more christmas shopping done, and Im feeling more energetic.

Ive gotten only a few more pages read into my book. Finding time to sit and read undisturbed isnt easy. Its one of the those books you have to be "ready" to read. It's hard to read it when you find something that hits really close to home and you start crying :sorry: But its all good, and obviously what Im needing.

Im off....I'll check back tonight!

Oh!! No the treadmill didnt get moved yesterday, but it was the last thing on the agenda, so it will be the first thing on the agenda after supper tonight!! :)

Have a great day everyone!

angelmomma210 12-03-2008 12:51 PM

Well the saga continues.......dh was fired yesterday, but the union and dh are fighting it still. They may call in EEO.....we will see what happens. Please keep your thoughts coming we appreciate it.

thinkerbell 12-03-2008 01:33 PM

This is a drive -by but I just have to share!

In my life sometimes, license plates speak to me...really!

Yesterday, I was at a shopping mall in suburban Philly, where Dr. Beck is from (which suburb I don't know) and I saw a car parked next to mine that had the license plate "DR THIN"....I smiled and got excited as I thought of Dr Beck, the book and this thread....just felt it was a "sign" that this truly will be my diet solution and I will learn to think like a thin person.

Also last night, I skipped ahead and read Day 4 (I am on Day 3)...the give yourself credit. I noticed how you'all say "credit moi!" and I love that yet I wanted to come up with a personal phrase and action that would really mean something and feel natural as I do have the sabotaging thought.....this is silly!

As an aside, because it's part of my backgound and this story, I am working to develope an "attitude of gratitude"....listing 10 things I am grateful for everyday in my journal.

So, as I was driving in my car today, I saw another license plate on a sporty silver Jaguar that got my attention......"THANX 2ME"

At first, I thought "wow, how full of himself" ...eeeek!....and then I thought, "oh no, that's perfect. The person has probably worked really hard to buy themselves that expensive sports car.....good for him!....and THANX 2ME for finding the perfect little credit mantra!

So THANX 2U for being here on this forum and THANX 2ME for finding U!

LOL!
Andrea aka thinkerbell

onebyone 12-03-2008 03:37 PM

Helllloooooo

Hello coaches!

Here I am, stealing time away from my work to check in. I am wrapping school up and have three more classes to go. Two tomorrow and one next Tuesday. I made the best thing I've ever made yesterday. Well, I completed the best thing I've ever made yesterday is more accurate. I sewed the pages to the spine of a handmade handprinted book that is an Atlas sized book... one of those old atlases people used to have, bigger than your standard coffee table book. Boy. Did I tell you I love it? I love it. Anyway still on the crazy schedule. Almost over. I am now focused on my craft show that starts Friday at 3pm. I have special orders to do and haven't started yet. I have regular stock to make and need to do that NOW. I have classes from 9-4:30pm tomorrow so I better get to it.

Foodwise I am still all over the map. The Wii Fit may be ours this weekend if we fit a day trip to Toronto into the mix. Drive up after my craft show Saturday afternoon (4hr drive) and then back home the next day after I walk the big craft show that ends that day, and then make 2 more books to complete my class on Tuesday plus add the embellishments for the books already done.

Phew.

Cannot wait to drop these rocks.

Will stop by again soon! Wish me luck getting through the rest of this mess!

twilit tera 12-03-2008 10:26 PM

Yay! The steroids finally kicked in! This morning I noticed that I was moving around with a lot less pain, so I started picking up the apartment. Overdid it after only an hour; I still have to limit bending, I think. But by the time Mom picked me up for PT, I was able to move again.

:yay: OP Food
:yay: Going to PT
:yay: getting some housework done!
:yay: getting schoolwork in on time, including extra credit!
:yay: deciding to go with one of the "Just for Me" options at IHOP on Monday instead of the strudel pancakes on the poster... and then boxing over half of my order to go.

:( missing two deadlines in one of my classes while I was laid up. Oh, well.

The therapists office was WAY cool! First the person who processed my registration had a meeting with the CEO and arranged a special rate for me. I pay 50% while I pay as I go. 60% if I ask them to bill me. Naturally, I'm paying as I go. We won't have to depend entirely on my family for the visits.

Then, the therapist that evaluated me told me that she'd work with me on how many meetings we'd do and how much I'd do on my own. She said that someone in my condition she usually likes to see 2x a week, but my first follow up appointment isn't til a week from tomorrow. I have exercises to do at home and at the pool.

Bill: Appreciating soup is a wonderful thing and really demonstrates how far you've come. :yay:

Anne: Sorry to hear about your being overwhelmed like that! Take care of yourself. I know you're doing all you can.

Jean: Good luck with the trip. The mental picture of your DS with his microphone spoon was precious! I know you're going to find it rough being gone so long. He'll probably get over it faster than you will. :^:

Robin: :yay: for house cleaning (from someone who truly relates!)

Andrea: Did someone say drive-by? *ducking*

:yay: for your new credit mantra! Mine, (if you haven't figured it out yet) is the smiley :yay: I'm a very visual person and the little guy is perfect for congratulating me on my every-day successes. Hmmm. Could it be that the DR THIN you were parked next to was Beck herself? Makes ya think. ;)

onebyone: Sounds like the end of this semester is quite an adventure for you! Glad to hear your book turned out so well!

Everybody: Thanks again for the encouragement. My aunt reminded me just the other day: It's not how many times you fall that matter, but how many times you pick yourself up.

Here's to picking myself up.

bennyhannahmama 12-03-2008 11:13 PM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches

Did better today paying attention to the first week tools. Even remembered to use looking at my watch as a trigger to remind me to give myself credit for something. As a matter of fact, the first thing I gave myself credit for, was remembering that I was supposed to give myself credit for something :D

Went to my running group tonight even though they were predicting 1-3" of snow and it was raining about to freeze when I left. Ran the 3 miles I was supposed to and felt fantastic when it was over. Even closed my eyes a bit as I walked at the end for my cool down and enjoyed the feeling of the rain hitting my face.

Somehow I missed some posts last night when I did my personals, so I'm going to go back to a couple.

Jeanie
I think using the travel company's recommendation is a very reasonable idea. Keep us posted on what's going on. I just got an email from my MIL telling me that the Rabbi from Peoria (where we used to live) was very good friends with the people who were killed in the Chabad House in Mumbai. He sent out an email asking for donations to help re-build the Chabad House.

I LOVE your idea of writing about your different ARC to really make them hit home. I will keep that idea in my back pocket when they become too rote. (Right now I'm doing okay with them since I revamped them last week.)

Angelmomma

So sorry to hear about your a-fib, although it sounds like you handled it quite well. I really hope things start turning around for you SOON!

Tera
I fully understand the stubbornness thing! Right now I'm a very happy camper since Bill shared that he has 2 windows open when doing personals (duh, why didn't I think of that???)-- I've been a scrolling mad woman and it was really driving me nuts!

Ouch for the cost of the doctor visit, but glad you went. Great idea for asking the PT for exercises to do at home. I hope you're feeling better really soon.

Bill

Good for you for getting your workout in even though you had class.

Quote:

It's one of the benefits of my healthy lifestyle journey that I can find such joy in a simple soup, instead of my old life where I might feel annoyed that we didn't have a real meal with huge portions of meat. Yah for the journey.
Your attitude about this journey is incredible and I find your insights inspiring.

Yes, I have a copy from the library right now, but pretty soon I will be running out of renewals (although, with a small town library, I have been known to return a book and then go and take it out 20 minutes later after it's been re-shelved :o) Hmmm... Used like new, that might be a good option. I am itching to have my own copy to highlight, mark-up, etc.
I'll have to think about it.

Oh and again, thanks for making responding to posts 1,000 times easier!! Not sure why I didn't think of opening 2 tabs at once :)

Anne

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing the need for taking care of yourself, yet feel badly that it took all these "messages" for you to realize that you need to do this! I think your plan sounds great and I think you should make sure you are doing at least one thing everyday that is just for YOU! (Even if it's just reading an article in a magazine or a few pages of a book.)

Jeanie

I hear you on the Tivo thing and the lack of ever just sitting and watching tv-- what fun! I Tivo anything I want to watch and hardly ever get to any of it. Typically the only time I do watch is when I'm doing my elliptical in my basement, so that's a good thing. Sometimes I'll watch when I'm folding laundry, but I can't remember the last time I just sat down and allowed myself to watch tv. Good for you!

Robin

Woo hoo for getting the house clean! This has been quite a battle for me lately.

I hope you get the treadmill moved tonight!

Angelmomma Will keep you and your DH in my prayers.

Thinkerbell Love your mantra! I also like to look for signs in my life and would totally interpret seeing that license plate the same way you did :D

I also felt like I wanted something specific to me for my credit, that is why you'll usually see the :broc: after each thing I post that I'm giving myself credit for.

Loved hearing your thought process of what you thought about the license plate. THANX 2U for sharing ;)

Onebyone
I seriously felt exhausted after reading all that you are doing. I'm so excited for you that you like the way the book turned out and you definitely need to post some pictures (at some point, no time soon!) of your book because I know many of us would love to see it.

Thought about you today when I was at Target and asked if they had any Wii Fits in. They had 20 on Sunday morning and they were sold out within 3 hours. They don't know when they'll be getting their next shipment. I am considering getting it as a gift for myself at some point, so if you do get it, I'd love to hear your review of it.

Good luck with this last of your crazy time!

Tera

So glad to hear that the steroids kicked in (now I understand how you got your house so clean).

What a great outcome from PT, I'm so relieved for you.

Congrats on all your other successes for today-- sounds like you have picked yourself up.

Gnite all!

BillBlueEyes 12-04-2008 06:31 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches - All activites were different than my normal schedule, which is not so unusual, I guess, but it brought up a continuous stream of different choices. Did OK, until I found myself standing in front of a serving bowl with roasted peanuts. Not a full bowl, but the remnants of a bowl with less than a quarter cup left. That went right under my radar and I simple ate them. I'm sort of aghast how easy it is to get past my mindful eating. Oh Well. With other opportunities to overeat, I stayed on plan; CREDIT moi.

Jeanie (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for "not even thinking" of a binge. Yep, the ol' brain needs some down time; vivoing is as good as any other. LOL at the image of El Nino the singing charming chef. Know about that pot banging stage, and, dispite my wish not to be a sexist parent, couldn't help but notice that it was MUCH louder from my DS than from my DD.

onebyone - Kudos for finishing the big book; can't wait to see it. Sending supportive thoughts for the next period of crazy schedule - you're winnig, keep it up.

Robin (RobinW) - Yah for that big pot of soup and Kudos for getting the house cleaned - what a turnaround for you in just a couple of days.

angelmoma210 - Ouch that the saga takes a nasty turn; sending supporting thoughts that you both find the right path now.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yah for the good news about your PT. Kudos for pursuing what you needed for yourself - it's neat to see so many smileys in your post again. And kudos for "Here's to picking myself up."

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for the "over-tired brain" and the missed massage session. Kudos for recognizing that you need some relief and Kudos for making a plan to give yourself some. We'll think of you even though you might not be posting, and sending our standard supportive thoughts even if we don't write that down.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Wonderful image of living in the moment, "enjoyed the feeling of the rain hitting my face." Kudos for your CREDIT moi's - methinks giving yourself credit is an important attitude adjustment part of Beck's strategy.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Kudos for recognizing that "how full of himself" isn't always a bad thing. Yah for "THANX 2ME."

Readers -
I don't care
... "
Beck, pg 193.
[/QUOTE]

onebyone 12-04-2008 07:14 AM

Coaches!

1 Attachment(s)
Good Morning.

Two critiques at school today: intermediate printmaking and media studies.
In printmaking I have about 9 new prints to show, (3 groupings of variations of themselves, 9 pieces total), plus the work we did before the midterm review. And then, the best part of the printmaking class happens; we do a print exchange with one another. There are 6 people in the class so we have to make 6 extra prints, our choice, to offer our classmates and they did the same so I come home with 6 pieces of new work made by my classmates. Love that printmaking tradition!

Then, over my 1.5hr break, I am meeting with someone about their wanting to use the ceramic room, so I have to quiz them and show them around and so I am working on my break.

Then after that I have my media studies class and it's final critique time here. 8 photos with an artist statement and labels. I am about to go downstairs and do that part after I send this. So then the school day is over and I come home to work like crazy for the craft show that starts tomorrow afternoon! YIKES:dizzy: BUT if I work hard I'll make $ and that is so needed right now. And if I make enough $ I will join that gym as well as having the wii fit here at home which we may be going to pickup after my Saturday show. So.

My final class is over on Tuesday and that's it for deadlines and crazywork until we start back in January.

My weight is really up. My loose jeans are tight again. My tummy feels really out there again. I don't like feeling like this. We have no good food in the house and the kitchen is not fit for cooking in even if it were. Can't wait to reclaim my space and my life next week.

I've attached a small drypoint etching I submitted to a local gallery fundraiser. The topic was "Lust". It's called "Lustful Need" (sorry about it being a bit blurry). I made this by scratching the image onto a piece of plastic (like Lexan) and then inking it up and running it through the press. This is called a drypoint etching. I think we can call this piece biographical:o
Gotta run.
Have a great day.

Olive2 12-04-2008 10:12 AM

I can't be the only one this happens to

After a week of off program it's really easy for me to say, "I'll start over again tomorrow." every day...Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...it has to stop today. At least I've been getting my exercise in. That is all I've been doing. So, I finally checked back in here today, then I need to actually read my cards, and the book and DO the steps. This will be a good day to work on overcoming cravings. I made cookies yesterday and they will be calling my name all day.

Wow, I have a lot of posts to catch up on...

onebyone - Wow, you sound really busy right now. Good luck at the craft show. I hope you make lots of $ and get the wii fit. Thanks for posting the etching. I like it. It's how I often feel.

Bill - Good job staying on plan. Eating only a few peanuts is not a bad thing. They're good for you. I used to serve seseme cashews from Trader Joes at Christmas time. Talk about mindless snacking. I've stopped buying them. And the quote, "I don't care" is my second worst sabotaging thought, the first being, "I'll start again tomorrow" I haven't gotten to that page yet. I'm glad glad it comes up and maybe I can learn to deal with it.

Kim - Way to go with the running! I love that feeling after a good run. I haven't been able to run since gaining 30lbs, it kills my knees, but I've started using the elliptical and it almost gives me that same kind of workout feeling. I hope everything works out with your parents visiting.

Tera - Glad you're feeling better and getting things done. Right back OP for so many things. That's great!

Andrea - I like your attitude of gratitude idea. I try to do that too, although I don't write it down.

angelmomma - You're in my thoughts.

Robin - I like your energy. I hope to get as much done today.

Jeanie - Great job on indulging in TV and not food! I tend to do that too when DH works late or is on a trip. The last time he was on a trip I took the computer to bed and watched tons of Netflix on demand. It kept me from a lot of late night eating. I hope everything gets resolved with your trip and you feel good about the decision.

Anne - You sound so busy and overwhelmed. Good decision putting Beck on hold. Sounds like you've got a good plan in place.

If I missed anyone else, I'm sorry. I'm going to check in here everyday now. I have to stick with this. I'm off to read my cards and the book.

RobinW 12-04-2008 11:00 AM

Good Morning! :)

onebyone~ I love your etching!!!! Im sitting here trying to think where I could put it in the kitchen. I hope it makes big $$ for the gallery you donated it to. :cheers: here's to reclaiming your life next week!!

Bill~ I love soup for dinner!! Hubby has issues with it tho. I cant put all the soup veggies in my soup, because he doesnt like them. I end up with other things that just dont make the soup taste as good. Oh well. Those peanuts are tricky little devils!!

Tera~ Im so happy your getting what you need for your hip. Excellent to that they are willing to work with you so that you can get what you need, and still be able to pay for it.

Kim~ Kudos for remembering to give yourself credit and big KUDOS for making it to your running group last night :cb:

thinkerbell~ lol I had to laugh when you talked about license plates talking to you. No I wasnt laughing at you, but with you.....because I do that too. But with pretty much everything else, license plates, signs, ppl's t-shirts :lol: Then I want to get back to the shop and make a t-shirt for myself with the saying on it.

angelmomma~ I hope everything works out for your husband! :hug:

kuhlejeanie~ Kudos for taking a rest with tivo and big KUDOS for not binging during it. I think its awesome that you didnt even think about eating until you posted about it. I think that is so cool, and it shows how much you have changed your way of thinking! Awesome job!!

Anne~ it sounds like there isnt enough time in your day to get everything done that you want to get done. Im so sorry you aren't getting the rest you need. Its good that your mil is coming to visit right? She will be able to help with the kids? This might be your opportunity to take some time to recharge your batteries. If you can....take full advantage of every minute you can!! :hug: Get some rest.

I think I got everybody! :wave: if I missed you.

I didnt get the treadmill moved :sorry: I am getting unplanned exercise in tho. Not enough to make a big difference, but its something. Alot more than what I had been doing. However.....I am making a promise to myself right now to get it moved and set up in the other room! Im even going to take off early today to get it done! (out by 2pm)

It's amazing how much more you get done when you are rested, and not pressed for time. Things have quieted down at the shop. Giving me time to think about getting things done (marketing wise) for the shop. Then getting them done at a leisurely pace, rather than at warp speed.

I have made a point of getting into bed earlier...even if Im reading for an hour its ok, Im in bed!

Things will probably be quiet around here for another week, then it all starts again.....all those ppl that need stuff "NOW" because its for christmas :lol: Oh well.

I have a bit of a delima. One of our customers had her company shirts done by me. I put the graphic big and large on the back of one of the shirts. She didnt want to put them on all because she isnt that (as she calls it) loud. So I talked her into one shirt with a big honkin huge graphic on the back. I thought it looked awesome :lol: When she picked them up I told her if she came back after wearing her shirts, I'd put the graphic on the back of the rest of them for free. Just because I really thought it should be there. Ok....she came in yesterday and wanted the graphics on the back :lol:
.....today she comes in to pick them up and gives me free gift certificates for a back massage. Here is the thing........unless hubby is doing the massaging, I dont want to be touched like that by strangers. It was very sweet of her, but now I feel like I am obligated to use them :( Should I just suck it up and go? I really dont want to offend her :( But Id be really really uncomfortable.

Ok I only have 3 things on my list today, 2 for the shop, and 1 being my treadmill...........Im off!!! Have a wonderful day everyone!!

RobinW 12-04-2008 11:02 AM

Olive you must have been posting the same time as me! KUDOS for getting your exercise in!! :cb: Put duck tape over the mouths of those cookies so that they cant call you!! :devil: You can do it!

thinkerbell 12-04-2008 07:04 PM

Bill ~ yummy turkey soup! the carcass part doesn't sound too yummy though....LOL! but I did appreciate your words "healthy life-style journey"....it is so life-affirming and a much kinder word than DIEt. And yes, mindful eating does seem to be key.....you have awesome awareness...even being aware of not being aware!

Anne ~ sorry about that massage appt....as it sounds that some nuturing for you and all you do for others needs some reward....it is good to nuture the nuturer!

Jeanie~ your TV watching sounds like a calorie free pleasure! It sounds as if you really enjoyed it....good for you! I think down time is so important....time to just be!

Angelmama ~ thoughts and prayers are on their way!

Tera ~ love your smiley guy....and the way you listed your accomplishments! Hope you feel better soon.

Kim ~ great idea about remembering to give yourself credit when looking at your watch....I use my cell phone as my watch.......maybe I can put on a screen saver from Visa or American Express......a real credit card! Your run sounds lovely......and good for you for taking the time to notice it!

Onebyone ~ oh, you are talented! How creative....love your lust! And I agree having the good food in the house is critical to eating the good food.....it is the tricky part and so endless yet so important to eating OP. You'll figure it out....there's got to be a way....I believe that every problem comes with its own unique solution.

God speed

Andrea aka tinkerbell

bennyhannahmama 12-04-2008 09:37 PM

Diet Coaches
I've discovered that the only problem with running so late at night is that I then have trouble falling asleep. After very little sleep, this is how I felt today :dizzy:

I'm planning on posting here and then getting to bed. Too tired to form my own original thoughts, but will try to write some personals.

Bill

It really is amazing how easy it is to slip back to old ways and it's humbling for me to realize that it even happens to someone like you has been maintaining for quite awhile now. I can only imagine how much "unconscious" eating I was doing before BDS. With my mom being here, I have to say that I'm super aware of all the times she is taking licks, bites or tastes. I also see her finishing up food my kids have left over and eating standing up. I know that if I were able to watch myself in action a few weeks ago it would have looked very similar!

Congrats on recognizing it, saying, "oh well" and making other good choices.

Onebyone

Love the drypoint etching and good luck with the show!

Olive

Welcome back! Of course we have all been there. Try not to minimize the things you've been doing. Keeping up with exercise is HUGE! Good luck getting back on the program. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Robin

You sound like you're in a really good place, :) As far as your dilemma, have you ever tried getting a massage before? Is it possible to request a woman and if so, would that make you more comfortable? If not, I would definitely say that you should NOT do something you're not comfortable with just to keep from hurting someone else's feelings (I'm a recovering codependent!)

What about giving it as a gift to someone else? I'm thinking that the only way you could do that is by letting your customer know that you intend to do that. If so, I think you should be honest about it. I can't imagine you're the only person who has ever told her that they don't feel comfortable being touched by other people. (I know years ago we bought my mom a massage for Mother's Day and she never used it because she wasn't comfortable.)

BillBlueEyes 12-05-2008 06:24 AM

Friday

Diet Coaches - OK, so some stuff is easy. Repeatedly had to walk by a dish of M&M's. No issues. CREDIT moi. Alas, it was a full dish; a full dish just doesn't call my name. Also have the jar of roasted peanuts in my face most of the day. No issues. A jar doesn't call my name. I'm still smarting that I just ate those peanuts the other day. Oh Well.

But more relevant, I passed on the opportunity to have seconds on a tasty lasagna. Now that was indeed calling because I don't have lasagna very often and the social situation called for stuffing my face instead of working on the conversation. So that's pretty encouraging. CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Love the Lustful Need etching. Hope one of the many people who will love that finds their way to the charity and bids big bucks for it. Ouch for being so busy. Yah that it may bring in the $$$ for the gym membership.

Robin (RobinW) - Gotta admire your business sense gently pushing your customer to see that she'd like the "big honkin huge graphic on the back." Sometimes gently being pushed is the way forward.

Re the massage: I'm not the best adviser since I'd be very comfortable. But I do suggest that you choose to accept one for yourself to see if you can use a CBT type of thought to make you feel OK, like "I'm comfortable with my body now." If actively confronting your discomfort doesn't appeal then my recommendation is to give them to someone. There's no reason for you to ever put yourself into a situation where you aren't comfortable with your body. Good luck on finding your path here.

angelmoma210 - Waving. Hope you're finding the right thing to do on the situation with your DH.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yep, yah for bed. Yah for sleep. Neat that you can use your mom's behavior to take pride in the changes you've made in your life.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - LOL at "the carcass part doesn't sound too yummy though." Yep, some aspects of the kitchen should never be seen by mortals. Hope you're finding the way on your plan.

Olive (Olive2) - Kudos for facing that Sabotaging Thought, I'll start tomorrow by jumping right in and posting today. Yep, you're on your way to countering those uglies with Helpful Responses. Those cookies can be ignored; they're not about you.

Readers -
It's OK to eat this
... "
Beck, pg 193.

thinkerbell 12-05-2008 08:27 AM

Good Morning THIN THINK-ers!

Day 5 for me! I thought reading the ARC cards would be a snap.....but it's not....now I understand why she encourages all of those post-it reminders! Need to set-up more reminders!

Olive ~ Hi, I'm a rookie here but just yesterday I was reading some good stuff in Day 4 ...give yourself credit....it is the stories about the 2 people and the bread at the restaurant.....the one guy gave himself credit for waiting 10 minutes before eating the bread! and then got back on plan while eating that meal......from what I got out of reading the 2 stories was that saying "I'll start tomrrow" can be a very subtle and seductive sabotaging thought.....and simply being aware of our thoughts is a huge step to changing sabotaging thoughts into helpful thoughts.

Robin ~It's your body and your life......and I see a parrellel about being offered food we don't want and a massage we don't want.....I know people love massages but the whole naked thing makes me uncomfortable....I prefer a facial or a pedicure.....maybe one day I will feel differently, but for now, "No thank you" is a respectful response....just my 6 cents.

Kim~ I love your dancing broccoli....so full of life and energy! But I am also a huge fan of Larry the Cucumber from Veggie Tales....I must have a thing for tall dark and green vegetables! LOL! Sometimes I too have trouble falling asleep, but not from running rather caffiene past 5 pm......I have a bottle of Advil PM when those restless nights strike....tossing and turning is the worst and really does set up the next day as a struggle.....and when we are tired, staying on plan can be made more difficult as there is that "food-energy" connection.....oh, and hot baths is another non-drug alternative.

Bill ~ Thanks so much for posting the credits about the M&M's, the peanuts and lasagna....it is a wonderful example of how the credits work as I feel so delighted for you as I read them....and it helps me to realize that it can be a very helpful tool on this journey.....I need to start ringing up those positive "charges" on my credit card account.....cha-ching! In your honor, I might even remind myself to "Bill me".....get it? Bill me! LOL!

best wishes,
Andrea

kuhljeanie 12-05-2008 11:09 AM

good morning my coaches,

my india trip has officially been cancelled due to safety concerns, so my mom and i are rolling with plan B - disneyworld and a caribbean cruise. should help dull the disappointment. :D i'm having a hard time keeping my head in the game the last two days of work, which is a problem, since i still have so freaking much to do! the treadmill has been a little lonely for me this week, and i'm not feeling good about that. i made it to yoga and running exactly once. this wouldn't be such an awful thing if i were getting enough sleep, but i'm not. and i've been fighting intense desire to eat with mixed success. part of it is increased hunger (lack of sleep, hmmm?) and part of it is this idea that i'll be on vacation for the next two weeks and off plan, so what's the point of staying on plan for the next few days? (e.g. it doesn't really matter if i stay on plan or not.) a new and interesting way to fool myself. it's complicated by a series of ongoing "special" meals, including:
-last night's company holiday party (stayed 85% on plan or thereabouts)
-tonight's dinner with el nino and my mom
-lunch tomorrow - 1st birthday party of a friend's daughter
-dinner tomorrow - our annual excursion to the Cincinnati Zoo's festival of lights, complete with a family sojourn to golden corral
-dinner sunday - annual hannukah pizza party (from uno's. could it be more caloric? but it's the one time a YEAR i eat that stuff.)

we're leaving for epcot tuesday. the bistro meals are piling up in the freezer, although i'm still eating them 98% of the time when i'm on my own.

so, i guess the thing to do now is give myself credit for all the things i'm doing right. i passed on dessert last night (crepe station and a bunch of small petit four/tart type things.) i also passed on most of the fried buffet (a staple of our annual party) and got a slice of turkey and some rice instead, and coconut shrimp and jalapeno poppers (2 each.) had one alcoholic drink, vodka cranberry with soda, and stuck to plain soda the rest of the evening. last night alone could have been a total blowout, and wasn't. tuesday i thought seriously about getting fried chicken for lunch, but ate my bistro meal instead. i've probably passed up 80% of the off-plan things i've wanted the last few days. i've been over my calorie budget, but still in deficit (just not as large as my current targets.) so, go me.

now onto vacation - my plan is to handle it the way i handled new york. i'll eat what i want, but not to excess, and get a TON of movement and formal exercise in. will wear my monitor a lot, but am giving myself permission to take it off for periods (beaches and swimming etc.) i really want to relax and enjoy - and part of that is enjoying the food. usually when i do that, my intake and output tend to equal each other, and i maintain. so that's the plan.

can't do personals today - sorry!!! i'm thinking of each of you and hoping everyone is doing really well - whatever your circumstances on this friday.

cheers!

RobinW 12-05-2008 12:05 PM

Its Friday!! :cb: :cb: :cb: Im gonna take off early today too!! :lol:

Thankyou everyone for your insight on my gift from a customer. I still don't know what I will do about it. On one hand, yes it is a fear and it would be good to face it. But Im also one of those people that really doesnt even like going to get my nails done, and when I finally do go, I hate it when someone new at the salon does them :sorry: Then on the other hand, it makes me very uncomfortable and I shouldn't do something that makes me feel that way. ~~Im really stuck on this one~~ I know she gave them to me, in the hopes that I would use it and then go back for more....creating a new customer in me.

Let me ask you this.....would you be offended if I told you how I felt about it all, and then asked you if it was alright to pass it on to someone who may turn into a customer?

Tonight is the big festival walk for our street. We did our open house last year on this night, but only receive one person that we didnt know. So everyone that showed up, were folks that were directly invited. Instead of participating in the event, we are going to enjoy the event and hit the shops on the strip and do a bit of shopping!

Food is good, and believe it or not Im getting some walking in!! :running: Not on the treadmill (which got moved btw!) Im starting to feel better, and starting to look better too. Its never a good thing when the ladies at the networking meetings are telling you, that you look really tired :no:

I did a little splurge last night.....I found a beautiful bunch of scarves which I wear when I have my hair up (cold neck!) I bought one!! Just for me :D If I continue to behave I just might go and get another one :)

Bill~ KUDOS for passing the m&m's, peanuts and for mindful eating of the lasagna!! That is awesome!! I have issues with the garlic bread that is usually served with the lasagna :lol:
....I understand the CBT way of thinking, but how I feel doesnt have anything to do with how I feel about myself. I just dont like strangers touching me, or me touching them. I could never be a doctor, nurse, hairdresser......anything that involves touching others :lol: At least I dont flinch when I am touched by others....my stepdil does, and hasnt worked around that yet.

thinkerbell~ great job getting your reminders in order! On my old phone I had set up the alarm at certain times of the day to go off. I havent figured out how to do it yet on the new one :sorry:

jeanie~ sounds like you have a plan for your trip. Sounds like it will be a fun one too!

Thats about it for my little corner of the world....have a great day everyone!

AnneWonders 12-05-2008 03:48 PM

:wave:

I called in sick the other day. Was about to go get checked out for strep but it is letting up finally. MIL is here and we are having a good time. The scale is being kind and I'm at -4. My food is still pretty much on, even if exercise is non-existent until probably Monday at least.

Back to lurking and sending silent good thoughts. I will be back Tuesday evening.

Anne