Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Post The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group relating to the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-10-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: HTML error in links to September and November 2007 threads
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - April Fools Day

Diet Coaches – Did my gym session yesterday. CREDIT moi. It surprises me that my muscles can feel that they missed my last session of last week, surprises me that I have to do catchup after one missed session. It also continues to amaze me that after missing only a single session I already entertain the concern that I've fallen off the wagon and might never get back to the gym again. (By contrast, if I miss one meal I don't have the fear that I might never eat again, LOL.) Oh Well.

Re: Program-day 17: End Overeating (thanks Sue (CoastalSue) ). Leaving food on my plate is still so unusual for me that I post about it every time and give myself credit. This is probably not a huge caloric issue for me since I usually control the amount of food that goes on my plate, but it is a BIG thinking issue for me. It so represents my attitude toward food as something much bigger than just the stuff I use to fuel my body. My goal is to continue working this strategy until the day I leave food on my plate without a major internal struggle.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for getting that exercise bike and Kudos for doing your first session. And Big Kudos for taking your long walk. It's just super that you are feeling the pay off from all your hours of swimming. You certainly share the determination of the tortoise in the race as well as the personal clarity to be comfortable with your own pace.

onebyone – Ouch for your on again, off again trip to Montreal. Double ouch for the cookie that came into your life, "Get this! 490 calories for the cookie with 23 grams of fat. WOWIE. That's some dense cookie." Just WOW. King Kong Cookie, LOL. Kudos for putting it aside, and Kudos for identifying Desire as the attraction. Perhaps you'll have a breakin and the only thing the thief takes is King Kong Cookie.

ummmmm... Concerning your assignment: "4) photograph sex." Is Montreal so open that you can do this? Will you have to peek into windows? Will you request proof of age to be sure that your photos aren't illegal? Inquiring minds need to know, LOL.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Kudos for tweaking your plan to find the fit that works for you. Good luck working on the issue of "HUNGRY." I really like your observation, "My problem is not when I can't eat. I'll live. MY problem is when I start to eat I DO NOT STOP." Seems like an oversight that Beck doesn't refer to strengthening our STOP muscle.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for marching forward to Program-day 9.

Readers – "…The Beck Diet Solution was developed to help provide an answer to this health issue. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 10.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-02-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Robin (RobinW)

Robin (RobinW)

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get this when you joined 3FatChicks six years ago (WOW),

Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/234/150

Morning, all...and welcome Robin.

I'm back from the wedding weekend in NJ. It was really wonderful...great time with family, good food (but not too much of it), good food choices (w/a couple of very minor exceptions) , lovely wedding of two adorable lovebirds, great dancing at the wedding, exercise every day, comments about my weight loss, feeling good wearing the same outfit I wore to my DSS's Bar Mitzvah in November, but 20+ pounds lighter.

I did as planned with the dessert at the wedding. It was a dessert buffet, so I got to have one bite of three different things. (key lime pie, cheesecake, and sweetened strawberries w/whipped cream) Truth is, I could have passed it up totally, but I decided to do my "homework". I ate it seated at my place, slowly, sipping black coffee between each bite. The doing was easy, but the stopping was harder. I pushed the plate aside, but there was definitely a pull to keep going. Credit moi, for leaving the table and going to the dancefloor. When I returned, the dessert plates were cleared. Credit moi for my awareness. I do think this is a more workable way to approach sweets than an absolute ban. So, for now it'll be a few bites, on special occasions, planned in advance.

It was a great way to spend my Beck "graduation", since the wedding was on day 42.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Good morning Coaches...

no time for personals today...

yesterday was a good day for me food wise... Sunday was good Monday was too... here's to day 3 in a row...

today will be day 14 for me... have not read it yet.. i tend to read it.. chew on it... and work it for two days... so Plan for tomorrow is for today... i tend to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day.. by choice... and dinner is usually planned the night before... but i leave flexibility there in case like last night something comes up and i can manage to still stay on plan...

so day 14 is not going to be a huge issue for me.. on my own board I commit my food to writing daily... sticking to it... that's the key.. sometimes i have too much food, sometimes i don't write down changes... i guess sometimes i do delude myself...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 39 for me: maintain your exercise schedule

Good Morning coaches
Happy Loof Lirpa as my hometown paper used to say They'd print some fake photo, give it a caption and fit the words "Loof Lirpa" into it at the end. I think the doctored image is not so rare these days...

Well day 39 for me. Coming to an end of the book. Amazing. but today's topic, maintain exercise schedule, is definitely something I need to re-visit. I was doing well with the WATP dvd's at home and then the top of my right foot started to hurt and I got a bump and I've been shy to start working out again. Of course I have options, the best of which are swimming and water aerobics, but I cannot manage getting to the pool which is at the Y and a bus ride away. Oh Well... I may have to do it anyway.

Food is back in its place today. I continued with some "controlled overeating" (is this an oxymoron? methinks it is.), counted the points for the stuff before I ate it but definitely was eating with an eye towards bulk. How much of this can I have? was the question I went by NOT how hungry am I? or even AM I hungry? Well as I discovered a few weeks back I have tow layers of program here. First is my WW program which gives me my food structures and then I overlay Beck onto it. I tossed Beck aside but still followed WW and so I am still on my foodplan but had to re-adjust to Beck. Back to Beck. I think that'll be a phrase I keep handy for myself too.

Today is another drawing class. Second last one. I need a ---> for that! Full body drawing is almost over! Woo hoo! I do like the class. I know I have vastly improved, but OMG it's hard and demanding and so much homework. Glad to see it end... and will probably miss it... and on that note, I need to finish my homework.

ladybugnessa: Hurray for the good days! Sounds like you'll only need a bit of tweaking to get in the full Beck groove... Hope you have a great day today.

barbpos: I think you were so smart to "practice" your Beck ways at the wedding with regards to sweets. I do think that a total ban is an invitiation to make a forbidden food into something other than it is. Better to take away its power and see yourself handle it. Bravo! Congrats on finishing the book!

BillBlueEyes: King Kong cookie. I wonder if a thief would even be able to lift the thing? haha! I am going to eat the cookie and practice "leaving food on my plate" so to speak. I am taking half to school with me today, half tomorrow. Oh! Even writing that kills me! So foreign to me to even think that. I'd throw it away but I often don't eat enough during the school days and I actually do need something and this calorie laden wonder will do the trick... all planned in advance. As for photographing sex we are to find the "sexy in the city". Nothing so crass as the overt bump and grind; we are to use our artist's eye. Apparently Montreal is a very sexy city. I kind of sort of know this to be true, now I have to illustrate it as well. I've been there lots of times, my family lived in the suburbs (I didn't live with them) so my visits to the city are all with family members. Not conducive to seeing sex around you! Looking forward to seeing what I find

All the best to everyone... must go draw and get to school.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-01-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #7  
I'm committed.

S/C/G: 177/177/115

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi Beck-ers and diet coaches,

I started the Beck Diet Solution Workbook in the fall, got up to mindful eating (sit down at the table, no outside distractions) and stopped. Guess I have an issue there, huh?!

I'm so happy to find this thread. I lurked on your March thread for a few days. You're great diet coaches to each other!

I'm ready to start back. Today will be Day 1. I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Mary
Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Afternoon

Thank you all for the warm welcome. BillBlueEyes, nope, I didnt get one of those fancy smilies when I joined 3FC, they didnt have quite the selection they have now. So thankyou

Ive been reading ahead in the book, but focusing on the daily tasks. I guess the biggest thing is to do it every day.....one day at a time. Im liking what Im reading. It all makes sense, and its something that most of us already know, just dont know how to put it into play.

Ive also been reading my response cards before every meal, and planned snack. It is helping alot in reminding me to slow down.

Ive been an Atkins follower for years, and Ive been very very successful with it, but as you can see, I havent been able to maintain any of my losses. So here I am trying take control!! I am following calorie counting, keeping the calories between 1400-1600. (I did atkins for the first 3 days to get the sugar cravings under control) then my fall back plan is weight watchers. I need to be able to eat fruit, potatoes, pasta and all that stuff, with control. Im hoping this program will teach me how to do that.

As far as planning my meals, Im good for breaky and lunch, but dinner usually changes from what Ive planned. Im still eating within my plan, and healthy choices, just not always what Ive written down.

I need to get back to work, I will chat with you all tomorrow.

Mary

Last edited by RobinW; 04-01-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

Welcome Mary and Robin...i haven't been here very long myself but so far i really adore everyone on here. they are a great bunch...
as for me, not much going on here, i have been sick. just the usual sinus/allergy crud, but the otc stuff hasn't worked and so today i got my rx filled for flonase. it's working pretty good but it smells VERY STRONG like fresh cut grass. oh well at least i might get some sleep tonight. the last few nights i have had to wake up just to get a drink of water b/c my mouth was so dry from breathing through it instead of my nose!
was going to to yoga today but instructor called in sick, and yes it's my step class day but i think with my sinuses like this i better skip out, besides i am too tired (i am afraid i will fall off the step)
well i need to go but i hope everyone is having a great april fools day!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #11  

happy April 1st everyone,

Yeah went down 2 lbs this day-Better not be a joke by my scale!! Swam for 75 minutes today so all muscles feel relaxed and well used. Downside while eating on plan-it that it is a hungry hungry day-sometimes that just happens.

Still working on Day 17-leaving food on my plate. At home I have this under control as use small plates. weight and measure my food, and only have fruits, veggies and low cal protein in any abundance here. But when I go out or have company my sabotaging thought "go ahead and enjoy your self as it is a speical treat" rules. Plan to leave some food on my plate each night for week in order learn to mindful and not an automatic plate cleaner away from home.

Welcome to Mary-offthecouch-hope you enjoy it here-There is a ton of great support and ideas here.

Gahundy-take care of yourself-I got real dizzy for days-doc said it was sinus junk affecting my balance-maybe steps not the greatest idea now.

BillBlueEyes-thanks for setting up the April forum-Great 1st page explaination. So agree that leaving food is such a thought biggie-I have added a quote by Lee Ioccoca(sp?) "Some people want ecomony regardless of what is costs them" Love that for the times I want to eat cheap food, too much food to get my money worth ect-Even free food can be a hugh cost for my healthy eating pattern. From your postings and months of maintance I feel you are successful in doing it right. Give yourself full credit !! even missing some gym sessions nags at you unlike when you would fall off the wagon. There is like an observer part of me which watches me get "mindless" and always step back up after a few days and goes-now,now, silly girl let's get back on target. Bet you got the same voice.

Barbpos-congradulation on successful trip and family celebration. -great fun when clothing fits so much better. Practicing Beck away from home is still a hugh challenge for me.

ladybugnessa-great pattern of posting your daily menu. It is a pain to post the off plan foods -Sometimes I don't but if I do and don't get too judgmental to myself I sometimes figure out patterns of overeating and make some changes.

Onebyone-I have kind of combined or modified Beck somewhat. I keep about 200 cals a day for uplanned eating "opportunities" versus No Choice-The No Choice is not to have any unplanned treat but for me the no choice is not to go over 200 cals in any one day with unplanned foods. So far this works for me.

Robin- Again Welcome and like you I use the cal counting plan-really learning what the cal count is for my foods which I'll continue using even after the wieght loss- plus I love the flexabilty for eating different food.

sue
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #12  

HI there everyone,
I am feeling horrible...I know better than to do this but I bought some of the frozen cookie dough that kids sell for a fundraiser...dd's little buddy called me on the phone her own 5 yr old self to ask and I was a sucker and said yes. So I have this stuff in the freezer and, even though I did just fine all day yesteray and today, that cookie dough called, no YELLED my name and I indulged. I wanted "as much as I wanted". I didn't stop to think about what was on my mind or what I was feeling, I just went for it. I don't feel good about it but am recording it in my food journal, throwing the rest of the dough away and journaling before going to bed. I am really resisting that thought of "is this when I self sabotage and begin the big gain back up again?". NO...response to self: "I indulged in emotional eating and want to figure out what exactly the trigger was...learning from mistakes is part of my learning process and part of my healthy living plan". No excuses....just need to move on.

Welcome to Mary and Robin!
Coastalsue: big congrats on your 2 lb loss and of course your getting out there to swim and still eat your planned amount of food. YOu are in the zone!!!
BillBlueEyes: Love the comparison of missing a workout versus missing a meal-ain't that the truth?

til tomorrow, Heidi
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Mary (offthecouch)

Mary (offthecouch)

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get this when you joined 3FatChicks in December,

Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches – Yesterday's walk included buying Broccoli Slaw for today's lunch and molasses and rolled oats for making my granola. CREDIT moi. I do enjoy when I combine my walking with my need to collect the food for healthy eating. Wore one less layer while walking; the rumors of impending Spring are supported with some increase in the temperature.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for your long 75 minute swim. Thanks for the Lee Iacocca quote, "Some people want economy regardless of what is costs them," LOL. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I like your notion of having an observer part of you that notices your deviation and reminds you to get back on target. Good luck with your exercise this week with leaving food on your plate.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Ouch for falling prey to the sweet voice of your DD's 5 year old friend. Kudos for getting right back on track. I do like your thoughtful, "... learning from mistakes is part of my learning process and part of my healthy living plan." The big deal for me is to remain a player with the attitude of learning from mistakes rather than a victim who's fallen and can't get up.

Barbara (barbpos) – Kudos for completing the 42nd day of Beck. Big Kudos for creating a plan for sweets. Kudos for making your whole wedding trip and wedding on plan. When you pushed the dessert plate aside after you finished the bites that you had planned, you did what I have yet to do. I share your plan for bites of sweets, but the best that I've been able to do is to negotiate a taste from DW's plate. Leaving a partial dessert on my plate remains a dream goal for me.

onebyone – Thanks for your explanation about photographing sex, and for your observation "Apparently Montreal is a very sexy city." I look forward to seeing it that way next time I get to visit. Kudos for continuing to wrestle with "two layers of program." And Kudos for continuing to work out a plan for your exercising.

amy (gahundy) – Ouch for your "sinus/allergy crud." LOL at the thought of you walking around smelling like fresh cut grass. That is such a welcome mental smell as my longing for Spring keeps growing. Sorry that you had to miss your step class.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Kudos for three successive days on plan. Kudos for being at Program-day 14: Plan for Tomorrow. And thanks for the sentence fragment that caused me to laugh because it makes sense since I understand it, "... so Plan for tomorrow is for today... "

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for making Response Cards work for you. I love mine, and continue to tweak them as people post even better ideas. I have a group that I read daily and another group that I read every Sunday morning when I record my weekly weight.

Mary (offthecouch) - Kudos for banging your head against mindful eating - what a great issue to deal with. As you've read, enough of us have been VERY surprised at how we were guzzling our food that we could form a club. LOL at your "Guess I have an issue there, huh?"

Readers – "… It contains the missing ingredient lacking in other weight-loss programs. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 10.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/234/150

Another day in Beck land...food will be on plan and written down, exercise will happen, I'll spend a bit of time here and on my South Beach board, things will get done. Not quite on autopilot, but this really has become much more natural with time.

At times in the past, even when I did well while being away, the transition to being back home has been an eating trigger for me. Not this time. I was feeling kind of cruddy yesterday (head-achy, light-headed), but despite that food was spot on and I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I realized this morning that I even forgot to have the slice of bread that I was supposed to have with dinner. I also managed to have half a banana, as planned, with yogurt, as my evening snack. I have NEVER been able to have half a piece of fruit.

BBE - Kudos for you for the walk with a mission. Now that I live and work in the burbs, that's not as workable for me as it used to be. I notice you often do a walk plus gym on the same day. Kudos to you...somehow, I have this mentality that one form of exercise a day for no more than about 45 minutes is all I'll "budget" for exercise. I really do want to get beyond that. Now that the weather will be getting nicer and it's staying dark longer, I think an after dinner dog walk or short bike ride could work for me.
Closed Thread