Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #46  

Becky, Good for you only losing the 6.8 lb. I tried the same thing a few weeks ago but I just can't stick to it......the lower carb thing. So now I just eat a little something and not worry about the carbs. The main thing I think makes me feel bad is too many sweets. One day by evening I hadn't eaten any sweets and I could hardly believe it. But ususally I have one or 2 oreos or some small amount of a sweet.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Man, Carol, if you can stop after just one or two Oreos, that is great! Once I got started on those, I'd eat a whole row at a time.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #48  

Well, if you are almost full from other food, 2 oreos just does the trick. ha!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #49  

Yesterday I was feeling kind of tired and achey and had a lot to do at home. I was hungry but having a hard time figuring out what to eat so I finally decided on a hambuger and watermelon. It must have been the right thing because I canned 8qt of beans, washed the floor, vacuumed and went to my DD's house for her birthday that night. As bad as I was feeling the food made me feel better.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #50  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

IE is going pretty good right now. I'm actually stopping when satisfied. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less. I try not to worry about it too much. TBL challenge ends in a few weeks and I will be happy about that bc I don't have to get on the scale for a bit then. I think the next challenge starts in September--perfect.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #51  

I know how you feel, Shay. I was in a challenge on another forum and I was so relieved not to have to weigh every week when it was over. I actually lost about 6lb the 2 weeks after that. Go figure.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #52  

Probably the best book I have ever read on IE is Naturally Thin by Eating More by Jean Antonello. It is really good reading plus she has great information. The only draw back is that she is pushes heavily for eliminating what she calls pleasure foods, ie. sweets, etc. and she suggests having them only once or twice a month. She also suggests not eating borderline foods (fast food, fried food, other sweet or fatty foods) only once or twice a week. Peronsally, I would rather eat a small sweet every day than say a whole serving less often. Otherwise the book is very for moral support and I highly recommend it.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #53  

Hi Ladies,
I've been trying to encorporate some of the principals of "Let's Do Lunch" lately. You eat fruit for breakfast. Eat protein and veggies for lunch. Then you have veggies and fruits for dinner. That is really oversimplified, but I am just trying to include a few more heathlier food choices. I have found myself doing some mindless eating lately and am trying to get back in touch.
Biggest rule--- Don't eat in front of the TV or while driving!!! (The second can be a safety hazard especially if you drive a standard like me )
I have found that grapes are a very satisfying snack. They are much better for me than cheetos! Now if I really feel the need for cheetos, I'll have some, but I am trying to make other choices first.
runnin' momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #54  

Hi Kay, Is that a book you are talking about? I've never heard of that program. Since I've started IE, somehow the power of Cheetos has gone away. Seems like your body really does want healthy food if you just listen to it. Here is another article I found on sparkpeople no author listed.

10 Principals to IE:

1. Reject the Diet Mentality Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently. Get angry at the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back all of the weight. If you allow even one small hope to linger that a new and better diet might be lurking around the corner, it will prevent you from being free to rediscover Intuitive Eating.
2. Honor Your Hunger Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy and carbohydrates. Otherwise you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. Once you reach the moment of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderate, conscious eating are fleeting and irrelevant. Learning to honor this first biological signal sets the stage for re-building trust with yourself and food.

3. Make Peace with Food Call a truce, stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat. If you tell yourself that you can't or shouldn't have a particular food, it can lead to intense feelings of deprivation that build into uncontrollable cravings and, often, bingeing When you finally “give-in” to your forbidden food, eating will be experienced with such intensity, it usually results in Last Supper overeating, and overwhelming guilt.
4. Challenge the Food Police .Scream a loud "NO" to thoughts in your head that declare you're "good" for eating under 1000 calories or "bad" because you ate a piece of chocolate cake. The Food Police monitor the unreasonable rules that dieting has created . The police station is housed deep in your psyche, and its loud speaker shouts negative barbs, hopeless phrases, and guilt-provoking indictments. Chasing the Food Police away is a critical step in returning to Intuitive Eating.
5. Respect Your Fullness Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show that you're comfortably full. Pause in the middle of a meal or food and ask yourself how the food tastes, and what is your current fullness level?
6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor The Japanese have the wisdom to promote pleasure as one of their goals of healthy living In our fury to be thin and healthy, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence--the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in the eating experience. When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting and conducive, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes much less food to decide you've had "enough".
7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food Find ways to comfort , nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won't fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you into a food hangover. But food won't solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger will only make you feel worse in the long run. You'll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion, as well as the discomfort of overeating.
8. Respect Your Body Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect to realistically squeeze into a size six, it is equally as futile (and uncomfortable) to have the same expectation with body size. But mostly, respect your body, so you can feel better about who you are. It's hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical about your body shape.
9. Exercise--Feel the Difference Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie burning effect of exercise. If you focus on how you feel from working out, such as energized, it can make the difference between rolling out of bed for a brisk morning walk or hitting the snooze alarm. If when you wake up, your only goal is to lose weight, it's usually not a motivating factor in that moment of time.
10 Honor Your Health--Gentle Nutrition Make food choices that honor your health and tastebuds while making you feel well. Remember that you don't have to eat a perfect diet to be healthy. You will not suddenly get a nutrient deficiency or gain weight from one snack, one meal, or one day of eating. It's what you eat consistently over time that matters, progress not perfection is what counts.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #55  

Yes, It is a book. There is a forum at its website. I can't do the program 100% because I am a picky eater and I wouldn't have many foods to choose from. When I did try it, I ended up light headed and without energy when I was trying to do a lot of training. Again, I think it is because I am such a picky eater and couldn't get enough calories or energy foods for running lots of miles at a time. I do like some of the recipes and the replacing of regular sugar with fruit sugar.
runnin' momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #56  

How exactly do you use that program, Kay? When you say fruit sugar do you mean you buy fructose in granular form? What would be a sample day for you? Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #57  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - Looks like it's been very quiet here. Maybe a lot of people are just busy from summer activities. I've been avoiding coming here because I've been struggling a lot. This morning, I realized I'm getting it wrong - that's when I need to come here the most. My life has just been getting me down lately, and I've responded by eating. Soon as I get off here, I'm going to get one of my IE books and re-read some of the chapters. Thanks Carol for reposting the 10 principles of IE. It is exactly what I needed to see today. Now all I have to do is get off my own back. That's the hardest part of all. Talk to y'all later.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #58  

Come every day, Jerie, I could use the support, too.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #59  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Here I am Carol. Taking it 1 day at a time (or hour, or minute sometimes). 2 of my grands are coming to stay all night tonight, so I'm not as down in the dumps as I have been all week. Actually I called and asked them to come. One of my habits is to tough everything out by myself, instead of asking for help. I'm trying to learn to ask for what I need, instead of waiting for someone to "guess" that I need something (which never happens). I'm beginning to find out that the food thing is not near as important to work on as the emotional things. That's what drives me to food over and over again. Baby steps. Just like my sig below, I'm trying to keep walking.

How are you today? Still working in the garden and canning? My ex & I farmed in Mo. so I know what canning all day is like. My mil & I would can all summer. It's hard work, but nice to have all that stuff in the winter.

Have a great day.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #60  

I've been having back trouble lately so I got my son's fiancee to pick the beans today. Then we snapped them and I canned them. They are getting married here at the farm on Aug. 22nd. She is from Canada. There's lots to do before then but I try to just take one day at a time like you said.