Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #91  

Shay, the quarterly thing sounds great. I remember looking at McKenna's sight a long time ago and then saw it here more recently. In between, I forgot he is a hypnotist and I"m really not into that. But he does have a lot of good thoughts about IE. I had the funniest thing happen yesterday. I'm not a coffee drinker but I wanted to stay awake for the days meetings so had 2 cups (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) yesterday and did great. Not only that, I had been bothered by a back ache the day before and it lessened considerablly. I'm going to try that again.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #92  

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! I'm kind of hanging in there. I feel like I'm still having trouble with the stopping when satisfied, and heck, even eating just because I'm hungry. But I noticed I've been doing better about stopping and not eating out of boredom. I don't remember what night it was, but over the weekend I thought I wanted some snacks while I watched TV. I had already had something to eat, and I wasn't physically hungry. On a diet, I think I would have gone with the "I blew it" mentality and ate more, but this time I stopped myself and said tomorrow when I was hungry again I could eat whatever I wanted. So that's progress, right?

I also go to lunch on Thursdays with my husband and a group of friends. We always eat at the same place, and my most common choice is a sandwich and french fries. Usually I just eat the entire plate even though I'm full long before the end, but this time I stopped and saved half the sandwich. It was my lunch on Friday too. I used to be pretty good about saving leftovers but I stopped. I think some of that may be the result of being on Weight Watchers. When I did eat out on WW, I carefully calculated the points of whatever I was eating and since I was using X number of points, I was going to clean my plate! I guess just a perfect example of how diets trick us into not trusting ourselves.

I am also proud that I am actually adding exercise back into my life. I love my new neighborhood. I used to not like walking very much, even with my favorite music, but I love walking around my house. I have a big park if I go in one direction, but I've actually enjoyed going the other way and just walking the sidewalks. There are some nice steep hills, and when I'm pushing the double stroller, wow! It's quite a workout, and the kids enjoy it too.

And I've been on a month long shopping spree. I think it started before my birthday a few weeks ago when I was bored at work and looked for some things online. I just needed a few new shirts because I was becoming so predictable in what I was going to wear all week at work. And I felt entitled because my birthday was coming! But I just kept going. I've found some great bargains and I love that I've updated my wardrobe a little, and most importantly, that I didn't wait until I lost weight. I think a big part of intuitive eating extends to your life in that you're supposed to live in the now, not the past and not the future. I'm hungry now, so I'll eat now. I'm not hungry now, so I'll stop eating. I need clothes to wear now as I am, and I can't wait until I lose weight to wear clothes.

So anyway, I think I'm making progress. I haven't weighed myself, my clothes certainly don't feel any looser at all (although I think I'm hormonal right now...), but I am retraining my brain to get to the point where I will feel better.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #93  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Carol--Quarterly it is then

Amy--It sounds as if you are doing fantastic. That walk with the double stroller sounds like a serious workout. Good point about the clothes. I barely have anything that fits me and I need to go shopping.

I Can Make You Thin--Episode 2: Curb Cravings
Okay that technique he used to curb cravings had me naseuous for the rest of the night. I was focusing specifically on skinny cow ice cream sandwiches because I can't seem to stop eating them. I definitely eat way past full when it comes to those. Now let me just say ewwww!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #94  

"I think a big part of intuitive eating extends to your life in that you're supposed to live in the now, not the past and not the future. I'm hungry now, so I'll eat now. I'm not hungry now, so I'll stop eating. I need clothes to wear now as I am, and I can't wait until I lose weight to wear clothes. "

Amy, I totally agree with that one. How many years I've spent saying that I have to wait to buy such and such until I get thinner. Never works. Our 10 kids are all grown now so I don't push strollers much, once in awhile the grandkids. We do have lots of hills to walk but I can't be in ths sun for health reasons. I used to do a lot of walking.........up to 6mi. I kinda miss that. We do have an eliptical, though. I'm also amazed at the things I don't like now that I used to. Sweet rolls and donuts just don't taste that great anymore. I think I'm getting picky. Hurrah!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol, I'm not into hypnosis either for spiritual reasons. However, I felt the techniques I saw would be more of me taking control (with a prayer) and it is working for me. However, I think IE gets the big credit with how I am feeling about food. I did use the craving technique (Shay I feel the same way about DH candy bars) because I couldn't keep my hands out of the candy bars. That was Saturday and I still can't stand even the thought of them. I did like his 4 Golden Rules of (my version) 1. When hungry eat. 1. Eat what you want and not what you think you should eat. 3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful. 4. When satisfied Stop eating. He says if you don't know when you are full or satisfied to stop when yout hink you are. I am now at the place (which I attribute more to IE) where I am not hungry. So I'm not sure some time when to eat. However, he has his scale of 0 to 10 and the main thing is to not let yourself get ravenous or stuffed feelings. So it goes well with IE.

Amy - Congratulations on the progress you are making. Your doing great. We all do this at our own pace and some times we might have the tendency to think we are not doing as well as we should or what someone else is doing.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #96  

Hi all. glad everyones week is going good. mine is to. have tops in am but scales are looking good. so makes me happy. will know how much in am. so hoping for a good loss. got to get with exercise. as eating is going good. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys! I have one more question for you all, if that's ok

How do you deal with business travel, if that's a factor in your life? I'm on a trip right now, and it's frustrating having to eat on a schedule that isn't my own. I do have protein bars and such in my purse, but it's not an option in some of these meetings. I had to eat breakfast very early this morning and am slightly too-full, but I won't get a chance to eat again until late this afternoon. Thankfully I'm going home today. Since my travel isn't terribly frequent (3x this month, but that's just an anomoly), is it just something I take in stride?
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #98  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Good morning everyone. We have a new thread. Here is the link:
www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138620

Forever I can address your question over there.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #99  

Smile Special to Likenoother and Truffle

This may help you get your minds back on track... For the past two days I have been using the Paul McKenna technique of eating what I want, eating only when I am hungry, and stopping when I am satisfied. I'm listening very carefully to what my body is saying to me. Yesterday, following this technique, I ate 400 calories less than the 1600 calories I normally allot myself. I did not feel deprived. I felt comfortable. It's mid-afternoon right now and I've eaten over 300 calories less than I normally would have eaten at this point in the day having eaten my breakfast and lunch meals. I am comfortable and not craving anything. I have an apple peeled and ready to take with me when I leave the house in a few hours. McKenna says to feed your body when it is hungry so it knows you're not trying to starve it. If you don't know about Paul McKenna, go to The Learning Channel website and click on the link for Mr. McKenna. He explains his program and has some videos to watch describing the technique. You can also buy some DVDs but I'd recommend reviewing his website information before you make a decision to buy.

I'm going to continue to watch my calories as I've been doing with my diet but I'm open to anything that will help me to get and stay on track. Good luck ladies. You can do it.
cmakela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #100  

Default Confused

Sorry - I guess I'm a bit confused. I was replying to a post from earlier in March. It looks like you have already been practicing some of the Paul McKenna techniques.
cmakela is offline   Reply With Quote