Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Hi Becky and Shay, Some author said that for every diet there is an equal and opposite binge. I guess that about sums it up. I had a good day yesterday but I was away from home part of the day and that always helps. save money. Since I had a good day, this morning I'm not as hungry. Do you think there is a connection? By good day I mean eating small amounts only when hungry. I even threw away half of an ice cream cone.
Hi, Carol...That quote sounds like maybe Geneen Roth? I loved her books for years. Read and re-read them. Finally tossed them into the recycling recently because I pretty much know them by heart, and I needed room for other books.

I do think that when we have "good days" it's easier to eat better the next day. I know I eat a lot less when I'm busy, or when I'm very interested in whatever I'm doing, even if it's something mundane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Hi Becky! To answer your question, I lost the 10 lbs on Weight Watchers. Actually I lost about 15 pounds but gained 5 pounds back over the holidays (well starting before the holidays actually...we were hit by an ice storm and lost electricity for a week so I went "off plan" and didn't really get back on ever). So I started back at WW in late January (when I was in the middle of a move!) and haven't seen the scale budge.

I was excited to be on WW when I started and just lost my momentum. I think if I started fresh right now I might have more success, but I'm already so darn skeptical. First of all, the meetings annoyed me. I wanted to gain inspiration from them but they were mostly a waste of my time. I KNEW everything already. I starved myself every weigh-in day to boost my weight loss, and how healthy is that? And the latest ad campaign. Oy. Weight Watchers is not a diet? It sure is! It had me obsessing over every little point.

Hence, my final straw and decision to try IE, because I know what to do. I'm thinking I should take my weight loss ticker down. The last thing I read last night was that when intuitive eating, it's best not to weight yourself because that has the trappings of a diet. If the weight is up, you feel depressed and eat. If the weight is down, you want to celebrate and eat. It's something to consider, anyway. But on the other hand, I think seeing that ticker will help focus me on my long-term goals, which means listening to my inner signals. I guess I should just keep reading the book before I make any final decisions, but if any of you have input, share!
Hi, Amy...I hear you on how annoying WW can be! I was never able to stick with the meetings because of that. It just felt so silly to be sitting there listening to people ramble on about whatever zero point snacks and desserts they could discover. That whole group thing has never been comfortable for me. I'd much rather give and get support online.

I don't think having a ticker on here would bother me. Listing my weight doesn't bother me either. I figure it gives people an idea of what kind of an amount I'm battling with, lol. It's easier for me to relate to somebody else who has a hundred pounds to lose than it is somebody with only ten. I know the person with ten to lose probably feels just as fat as I do, but somehow, since I've been this big for so long, having only ten pounds to lose doesn't even register in my mind as any sort of "problem". Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Here is part of an old post from Dr. Bert Herring's website.

"The bulk of our need for food is simply fuel and water. Our bodies
are excellent scavengers and recyclers, and everything but fuel,
water, and oxygen is re-used and lost from the body only in
relatively tiny amounts...I encourage you to trust your body and let
it be the wonderful machine that it is."

That last part hit me: basically just get out of the way of your
body's natural ability to take incredibly good care of itself and
watch the amazing results. After my short jog this morning, I sat
out on a rock by a stream near my apartment and chewed on that
notion for a while. Suddenly I was awestruck by how easy it is to be
supremely healthy, that it doesn't take lots of study, analysis,
controling, measuring, monitoring, memorizing, manipulating, or
other time-consuming, money-consuming bother. Consume just enough
wholesome food, trust the body's perfect design, and you are good to
go.
This is a very interesting quote. Makes me realize what a giant production we've made over trying to get our bodies to be something else. If only I'd never started on the merry go round! I wish I had just left my body alone. I think I would have remained close to my normal weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother View Post
So here at work we are trying to resurrect our "fit club". We tried this a few years back and didn't stick to it because everyone is so busy. We are trying again starting tomorrow. Sometimes we will talk. Sometimes we will walk & talk. I definitely want to talk to them about IE and share my book with them. Some of them already know about it just from what I told them but not in depth.
I'm so bad at staying with these kinds of groups. When I was a regular walker, people would always ask if I wanted to walk with them, and I usually always politely turned them down because walking has always been an enjoyable private, quiet time for me. There's nothing better than taking a long walk, out in the beautiful creation, having time to think, dream, pray...
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Hope everyone is doing well today

This has been a weird day for me. I'm figuring out a couple of things. One is that, even though I've kept a detailed food journal for years now, it's not really of much use, so why do I continue keeping it? I first started writing down what I ate so that, just in case I woke up one morning fifty pounds less than when I went to bed the night before, I'd be able to see what I had eaten, and duplicate it for more weight loss, lol.

Writing down the food has not done a thing for me. Sometimes I'll have a nice neat page, then I'll come to the afternoon, when my "eating time" usually starts. If I eat several things in a row, I end up not writing it all down and instead, I just write "etc." at the bottom of the page. When I see that "etc.", I know I was eating for reasons other than hunger.

Another thing I'm learning is that I really need to have around some of the exact foods I'm looking forward to. If I don't have them, I seem to surf around the kitchen, trying to figure out what will work as a second choice. This doesn't seem to work for me. I end up eating all sorts of stuff I either don't like, or am not really hungry for.

I also seem to need quite a wide range of foods to choose from. Once we hit that part of the week where groceries run low and we're just eating whatever happens to be around, I don't do well. I do that same sort of surfing around the kitchen. I need to work on this.

The last thing today is something quite strange. I am one of those people who is super-sensitive to anyone who is nauseated or vomiting. All I have to do is hear about it, and my own stomach immediately starts feeling funny. I've been this way all my life. And wouldn't you know it, my brother who lives with us came home sick this afternoon with the stomach flu. Just talking about it with my mother on the phone has left me hyper-aware of the feelings in my own stomach. This has made me unable to feel true hunger and fullness this afternoon and tonight. Very weird.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #33  

Becky, so sorry to hear of the illness. I have a son like that. He'll through up if he hears some one else doing it. I had a half good day yesterday. When I took my DD and GD to Walmart they decided they wanted to go to McDonalds. Nothing wrong with that and I didn't order but I picked at there stuff. That kind of set me up for not so good eating ( no hunger) for the evening although I didn't eat after 6:30pm. I sure feel a lot better when I eat from hunger. My whole body seems to rebel with aches and pains when I do otherwise.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #34  

I introduced myself a month or so ago - and fell off the 'map'. I'll skip the details, but I'm back. I've been reading a bit, trying to catch up. But that will have to wait for another time. It's lunchtime - I'm actually hungry. I even know what I want. I also have a bit of cabin fever and really want to get outside for a walk.

Lavender

Oh yeah, and you convinced me to put my scale in the garage. That thing is not my friend.

Last edited by llavender; 03-06-2008 at 02:21 PM.
llavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #35  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Welcome back Lavender.

I talked about IE in my fit club today and a friend is interested so I sent her an e-mail from Amazon so she could check the book out. I think I will send her the website too. That will be helpful. Today was a really good IE day.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #36  

Had a hungry day today and just went with it. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #37  
My Evolution

My friend bought the book. That will be great having someone right here with me doing IE too.

Okay I finally got a chance to read more of the book.

Chapter 8--Principle 4: Challenge the Food Police
I used to be a dichotomous thinker. I have worked really hard to get away from that and have suceeded. I then moved into linear thinking but I am now a process thinker. It definitely is a journey. What I really identfied with in this chapter is the last section--Self Awareness: The Ultimate Weapon Against the Food Police. I hadn't gotten to this part of the book but I had told my friend that IE is essentially about self awareness. I always strive to be self aware. It is something I work on every day.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #38  

I've been doing okay for the last couple of days, though I am waiting too long to eat. I seem to have a *very* fine line between hungry and about to pass out
llavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #39  

I totally understand that one, Llavender. After being so hungry yesterday, today I wasn't hungry until about 1:30pm. I've had one meal so far and a slice of bread. I'll be interested to see what kind of day tomorrow is!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I finally finished my IE book today. I am using the FBD idea of MUFAs with each meal. I was using it with WW Flex, but today decided to just eat when hungry and not count Flex points. I'm through eating for the day. I ate less I think because I ate what I wanted to eat and only ate when I was hungry not by the clock. I'm free from having to eat a certain amount of pts each day so I'll see how that all goes. I've used the WW Flex pts as a guide line and was thankful for it. I'm thinking that eating good fats in moderation probably helps with satiety as well. I think I'm starting to become comfortable with the food or it seems so and I hope I am. I know I can have whatever I want if I want it, but I need to just be sure I do. Some times, I think I want something just to eat it and find out it didn't taste like I thought it would. So maybe this is starting to really work for me.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #41  
My Evolution

Okay that's weird. I thought I posted something in here earlier in the day and its not here. I wonder if I copied it into another post before actually posting here and now its lost. I was at work multitasking so that might be it.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #42  

Shay, that's happened to me before. If it happens too often I start copying so I can paste it later if I find out it didn't post. Had a wierd day yesterday. I ate when hungry except we went visit my son and about 17 of the family went. We had to stop on the way for my DH to visit his tax man for about an hour so those who rode with us went to McDonalds while wating. The kids played in the play place and we all ordered something. I had a hamburger. The boys played raquetball and basketball until 9pm at the Y and I watched one of the babies and some of the other girls went shopping. When I found out they were going to a Mexican restaraunt, I was glad I had the hamburger. I really dislike most Mexican food. I never seem to order the right thing. I mostly just ate chips and salsa because we were starving by then. But I always feel bad when I'm starving and nothing looks good. What do you all do when that happens.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #43  

Height: 5'4"

OK, so I was not an intuitive eater this weekend. Not at all. My baby boy's first birthday was Friday so we had a weekend-long celebration. My birthday is today!!! so I guess that got roped into the thing. We went to a wine festival on Saturday night then Sunday morning we had brunch, then Sunday afternoon MIL bought us dinner...so I ate and ate and ate. But folks, it didn't stop there. My officemate yesterday brought in a creation called "cake balls" and I was bored at work so I ate many cake balls.

But I'm getting ready to respect my fullness. You ever get to that point where nothing seems good, even something as delicious as cake balls? In fact, all you really want is salad and fresh food. So I'm there.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #44  
My Evolution

Carol--I have stood in my kitchen for 10-15 minutes trying to figure out what to eat. I eat a small snack first and then can usually figure it out. I make sure I have a lot of options. At work I make sure I have a lot of options or I just run to the grocery store or sometimes fast food and get like a grilled chicken sandwich. I usually don't go out to eat much but most time I get chicken and that covers it for me. When I do go out to eat I know ahead of time and know what I like or in my mind have some ideas of meals that I would eat from most restaurants. Mexican I generally do burritos or soft tacos or fajitas.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY888

Many times I don't know what I want to eat. I've decided that if I don't know what I want to eat then I just might not be hungry. I wait a while and then I eventually something will come to mind. I'm trying to learn to eat only when hungry and not just because it is time. I know we shouldn't go too long between eating, but I am not going to eat just because I think I should. That is one of the ways I got here with all this wieght to start with. When I go out to eat and don't know what to get, I just try to stay balanced by eating something as healthy as possible. For example today we went out to eat and I didn't really know what I wanted so I got meat green beans and cole slaw. My hunger seems to be tappering off.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote