Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #1  
Fat and Unhappy in Alaska

S/C/G: 215/215/140

Height: 5'5

Exclamation Hello from cold Alaska

Hello all.
I visited this site before and liked the support and good information I saw. So, I'm back.

Some info about me:
I'm 23 and weight approx 215 pounds (I don't have a scale but I weighed close to 210 a few months ago at a lab test). I live in Alaska and am not active in any sports whatsoever and therefore have only about 4 months worth of outdoor time available to me (due to our seasons). I've suffered from depression in the past, and have very high stress levels. It's light outside all summer/fall (24hrs) then dark all day fall/winter, which makes us vitamin A & D deficient (spelling?). I'm pretty sure I'm iron deficient too, but I lack the resolve and dicipline to take any pills (vitamins, diet pills, etc) on a regular basis, I take headache/pain pills when the need arises, that's about it.
I work 8-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, I come home and rarely feel up to cooking dinner. Most nights I heat up junk food (anything 30 mins or less), however when I do cook, it's generally healthy. (I use a George Foreman Grill to cook chicken, steak or porkchops since it's fast and drains a good chunk of grease/fat off) I have tried to take CortiSlim, go on diets, bought TurboJam to work out to (that lasted 2 days!) and numerous other attempts (such as walking every day or so) and can't get motivated anymore. I'm soo tired I don't want to do anything but sit in front of the computer or watch a movie. Luckily I don't snack much or eat a lot, but I just don't move enough to offset those splurge days of McDonalds or frozen pizza. I don't have the money for a gym, nor the schedule to attend one. I use a credit card to rack up debt for important things/to live.
I'm at a loss as to where to start really. I crave salty foods frequently (McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's a lot) and love food. I love veggies and healthy foods as well, but I'm in debt and can rarely afford to buy them. Food costs WAY more here than in the lower 48 (a bag of Lays potatoe chips is 4.99 and a 12 pack of soda is 5.98, no sales tax here). Since all fruit and veggies must be flown in, they are scare, rarely healthy-fresh, and cost a fortune. I've resorted to buy the frozen bags of Green Giant veggie mixes, like the broccoli,cauliflower,carrot n cheese and the ones with the garlic mix, and eating that and boneless/skinless chicken breast or a steak or porkchops (when I can find the energy to cook). What's a girl to do? Would love some suggestions!!
mageborn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #2  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hello and !

I saw you were from Alaska and had to reply! My step sister lived in Anchorage for a while. I never got to visit her as she was only up there while her hubby was stationed (airforce).

I also seen the Oprah and there was a local from Alaska and she went the store so I can say yes things are WAY more expensive for you!

But you did come to the right place! This place is great!

I also invite you to the Jaded Ladies (Under Support Groups) We do a weekly Weightloss Chit and Chat, we talk about weightloss, healthy eating and everyday things as well.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

hi mage, i wish that i could give you the magic formula for weight loss but, as far as i know, there is not one. BUT...this is a great place to get support. there are several challenge forums that really help. search through the support groups and you will find them. good luck!
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 PM   #4  

Hello im in alaska too (down in kenai) and welcome.. ive not seen alot of members from alaska in here so it neat to see your post..i usually post in the dieting for diebetics..im married ,57 and grma to 4 neat kids..there is no magic to loosing weight or we would all be thin..my youngest daughter followed her mom(me) and had a weight problem..she was really un happy with herself.. then she got mad and lost 185#..she is my inspiration.. her answer was eat less and move more.. no magic.. just alot of hard work..she followed weight watchers..she started out only being able to exercise a few min's at a time.. it took her a yr.. and now she has maintained her weight for 2 yrs and can run 8 miles on her tread mill..i wish i was as dedicated as she was.. im still a fat girl wanting to be thin.. its just an excuse tho..as i said there is no magic.. just wanting it bad enuff to eat less and move more..good advice for us all..and yes things are more expensive here in alaska but i think junk food costs more..i hope my daughters story helps you somewhat..she keeps me striving for that goal too..good luck in finding the fuel that fires you..this is agreat place to start..lots of nice people here and good advice..((((hugs))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote