Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:10 AM   #1  

Default 34 and EXTREMELY OVERWEIGHT

Hi! My name is Tina and I am 34 years old. I live in the Northwoods of Wisconsin where at this moment it is about -10 degrees!
I have not always been big, but due to some chronic health problems, I was bed bound for quite a while. I eventually had a hysterectomy to fix the problems, but then entered into depression.
As a result I now weigh close to 400 pounds. I am on the South Beach Diet and it seems to be going well for me. I am too big to weigh on the scales at home, and too embarassed to go to the vet and do it. But I have noticed a difference in my arms, stomache and face. And that I don't eat as much anymore!
Well, that is basically me in a nutshell! If you want to know anything more than let me know.
Tina
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 AM   #2  
oogala boogala

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'3"

Question ...does it REALLY work?

Hi there Tina, I too am freezing. It's about 12 degrees here.

I am 23 years old and close to 300 lbs. No health issues got me to that--I did it all on my own -- But I need help and support to get rid of it. Congrats to you for making moves. I'm kind of a diet virgin. What is the story with the South Beach Diet? Just trying to decide what will work for me and I'd rather hear it from someone who is ACTUALLY using it. Any advice is welcome.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Tina and Erica Welcome !!!

You both seem to have a great attitude, which is to me, the most important thing to have when it comes to weight loss.

My sister who was over 400 lbs has lost over 100 lbs in the past year and 1/2. She couldn't get on the scale either but that didn't stop her. She now weighs 280 !!!! She did it just by eating sensible meals and not snacking. She also increased her activities more, meaning walking around the block and parking farther away from the stores, nothing strenous but it obviously helped her ALOT !!

I congratulate you both for being here and taking the first steps in becoming healthy and happy

Good luck and lots of hugs !!!!!

Leenie

Old 12-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #4  

I am a long time lurker (look at my join date). Lost 92# and have kept it off for 19 years now.
Took me a long time to make up my mind to up and move, and do something about losing weight.
I chose a well balanced program and I walked. Now at the original wgt., I was lucky to be able to walk a half block before having to stop and suck on my asthma inhaler. As the months went by the distance grew, the wgt came off, and the need for my rescue inhaler lessened.
I now walk 5-6 miles a day, be it in the house or on the 'dreadmill'. Last year I went through breast cancer surgery and follow up radiation. I did NOT miss one single day of exercise. I walked the halls of the hospital (pulling along the IV trolley), and being the oncology center was not far from my home I walked to and from almost every day. Due to the extreme fatigue of rad therapy, my mileage dropped drastically, but I did get exercise of some sort in every day on the days I did not walk. Usually the exercycle or resistance bands.
You sound upbeat, that is half the battle. Yes, there will be bad days, but if you learn from them what to do next time, consider them lessons or stepping stones.
You will succeed, keep that in mind. One day, one step at a time, you will succeed.

Last edited by Fearless; 12-20-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Fearless, I hope your feeling better very fast and congratulations on your maintaining your weight loss and for beating that nasty ol cancer **Hugs**

One day, one step is the way to succeed, thats for sure.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Amen on the walking. I did the same thing, started parking the furthest from the doors and always opting for the stairs over the escalator/elevator, and walking to places close by rather than riding (or riding a bike to them). When I first started walking I had back and knee problems and wore support on both. One mile without a back brace would leave me hunched over for at least a day. I eventually worked up to running little by little and increased my distance little by little, and eventually tossed the braces.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #7  

Leenie, I am fully recovered and back to my normal walking routine. For the next few years I will have mammograms every six months, and a 'hands on' exam by either the gyno people or the oncologist every six months also.
Story about my walking. I lost my wgt over the winter, doing the daily walks. Well in the winter you are well bundled up. Here comes spring and I am out in a light jacket and blue jeans. My next door neighbor is a police officer. He rolls his prowl car up behind me quietly and says...OVER THE PA SYSTEM "my god woman, you walked your butt off!". Kinda made my day!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #8  
oogala boogala

So walking really does work eh? Like I said, I am NOT a dieter. I have tried walking for about a week. I think I will get into some activity then lil by lil change my eating habits...I've gotta pace myself...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:54 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Erica, walking (or any exercise in general) definately works. I started out by changing my eating habits, and I lost weight. But I lost it very slowly. I lost a little over 30 pounds in 10 months. When I started exercising regularly (started out walking 1 mile a day, then built up to running, then increased the distance), I ended up losing another 40 pounds in just 6 months time. Both exercise and eating right will do it. But the combination of the two should work the best.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #10  
oogala boogala

Default I Had An Epiphany

Thanks, I just wish I could ACTUALLY do that. I can't eat right. I eat ZERO veggies, greens, I load up on bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. That and some kind of chicken is my normal dinner...and to top it all off, I am lactose intolerant...but does that stop me from eating icecream? NOOOOOO. I just load up on the weekends . Hmmm as I sit here this post, I came to the realization that if I am willing to make the sacrifice for icecream...why can't I make the sacrifice and eat something healthy...might not taste as good as a pint of haagen daaz but it would feel better...darn I hate when I have a revelation. OK. I will take tiny steps to changing...

1-I will journal. I will write down what I eat so that I can see where the problem areas are.
2-I will set realistic goals...I have 130 pounds to lose. I will start by losing 15 by Valentine's day..
3-I will use the gym membership that my college tuition pays for!
4-I will replace soda and fruit drinks with water.
5-I will eat more at home.
6-I WILL STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR MY OWN LAZINESS!!!

Geez, If I could actually get started with this, I would be headed down the right path. Even if I don't lose all the weight, I will at least feel good about myself... here's to stick-to-it-tive-ness.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:14 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Have you tried substitutions? Now don't scrunch up your nose, but have you checked into Soy Dream? Good for lactose intolerance and better for the diet than regular ice cream...if you really gotta have ice cream.

Are there no veggies you'll eat? For instance...say you'll eat mashed potatoes but don't like cauliflower. Have you tried creamed cauliflower? That was the Atkins substitute that came out for mashed potatoes. And they don't taste like cauliflower in that form. You can do things to vegetables to make them taste completely different than you expect them to taste. So while you might not like a particular veggie, there could be some alternative ways to preparing it that you might like.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #12  
oogala boogala

Have you tried substitutions?
Not really. Subsitutions always made me feel like I was missing something--like I was on a diet.
Now don't scrunch up your nose, but have you checked into Soy Dream?
I did scrunch up my nose--but, I am now in the position to try new things. I will check and see if they have it in the places where I shop. I don't think I've ever seen it but then again, I usually go straight for the Bryer's.
Are there no veggies you'll eat?
Just corn...well, I will tolerate it.
Have you tried creamed cauliflower?
Hmmm...I have never tried that but I will look into it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into some substitutes now--I guess any lil bit will help.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

Check your grocer's organic section. That's generally where you'll find soy and tofu substitutes. I actually thought they did more to keep me from feeling I was on a diet than not. I shopped around for brands too. I tried Morningstar and Boca burgers and didn't care for them but the Gardenburger brand is good. So if you try something and don't like it, try another brand and you may find a world of difference.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 PM   #14  
oogala boogala

Good point-I'll check that out...I'll probably check back in with the stuff that I get just to see if any of you have heard of it or trieeed just cuz im REALLY PICKY when it comes to food...ya couldn't tell by looking but it's true. Hope ya'll don't mind.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

No problem, but what might taste good to me might be awful to you. LOL I threw more stuff out just taste testing. But I finally found some items I could actually eat. For instance, the veggie cheese is good, but only in provolone or hot pepper. The others tend to lose something in the translation. LOL
Closed Thread