Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #1  

Red face Hi, I'm new looking for buddies.

Hey!

I'm new to these forums.

I'm 21 yrs old, married, with a beautiful (almost 2yr old) little girl, vegetarian, and have started dieting about 2wks ago.

I tried the Atkins diet awhile back, and I did lose weight with that diet. But what I learned was I lost it too fast and couldnt keep it off so I ended up gaining what I lost plus some! And let me tell you it was not easy staying on that diet as a vegetarian, I hated it!

Right now I'm just counting my calories intake, trying to walk 1 mile at least 3x a week, light weight training, & some yoga. I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 wks and lost 2lbs!

I'm having a hard time though, with keeping myself on track. I've really always had a hard time with my weight, but I'm manic depressive (bi-polar) and I have anxiety problems so it's very hard for me to get out and around people. Therefore I am affraid to like join a gym or anything like that. All my working out is done in my home when I'm completly alone (well sometimes my little girl does some exersises with me! ). I am really ready for a change!I need to get to know some people that can encourage me and I'd love to be there to encourage someone too.

Christine
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/156/125

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hi Christine!

Thought I would drop in and introduce myself. My name is Lauren. I'm 20, married, no kids just yet!

I started dieting again about 2 weeks ago as well, but a week into it got bronchitis so had to stop the exercise and ended up messing the diet up,too. I am starting back full swing tommorow. I generally count calories and exericise (yoga is my big thing).

About a year ago I was diagnosed with GAD - general anxiety disorder - so I know what you are going through. I finally got up the nerve to join Curves over the summer, but haven't been in months - I don't want them to yell at me now for not going (how stupid, huh?) I've started going to yoga classes at my school's gym, which is a big step for me, but it is still very hard. However, I find that once I get into a routine of doing it, it is much easier for me and the anxiety starts to lesson.

I would love to talk to you again soon - send me a PM or post here. I already have a couple of buddies, but one more always heps!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #3  

Smile

Hi Lauren,

I know how you feel about not wanting to go back to the gym because they'll "yell at you" I always feel like that too. It's just like something emplanted in my brain that everyone is a mean person! It is funny when you think about it I guess, but to us (like me & you) it's a serious feeling! I also know what you mean about it lessoning after you get over that huge hill of just starting!

I'm completly new to this site, is there a private messaging system on here? Or just the posting in the forums?

What school are you going to? I really want to get into college and get my life going. Losing weight I think is going to be my first big step into really enjoying life!

Can't wait to hear from you again,
Christine
Old 09-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #4  
Samantha

Hello ladies - I am 23 years old, also married, and trying to lose weight by eating less and exersizing more.

Christine - I am also in Texas, the Amarillo area, where is Bridgeport?

Sam
Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #5  

Smile

Hey Samantha,

Bridgeport is ... lol it's a very small town. The closest big city is Dallas and that is North-West of us.

What types of exercise are you doing?

Christine
Old 09-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #6  
Samantha

I recently joined a gym and so far have only gotten onto the treadmill and walked, and went to a Step N Flex class, where I worked out harder than I ever have in my LIFE lol.
Looks like you are about 5 or 6 hours from here, I have only been to Dallas a handful of times. I also am from a very small town called Granite Shoals, so I know what it is like to have to explain that lol.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:46 PM   #7  

Christine -

I am at Texas Woman's University in Denton (north of dfw). This is actually my last semester of classes there. I'm moving to back to Spring (just north of Houston) in December. I student teach in the spring semester and will graduate in May. School is really the one thing that I feel like I have really kept on track, which is strange because I don't enjoy it at all. I am so glad to be almost done! I will have a degree in elementary ed. and plan to teach.

Yes, there is a private messaging system. Once you are logged in, you should be able to go under "quick links" and select "private messaging" - Good luck!

Samantha -

Sounds like you are starting out on the right track. So far I am just doing the treadmill, bike, and yoga at my school gym. I really need ot go back to Curves because it adds some of the strength training in that I lack. Supposedly, when you build muscle you burn fat better... but I've never been good at that part of it.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #8  

Christine -

Was looking over your posts again and saw that you tried Adkins as a vegetarian! What did you eat?!? I know it was amazingly hard even for me (I don't eat red meat but will eat chicken or fish). I felt like all I was eating was meat and cheese!!! I hated it, too and quit pretty quickly. I generally find it is much easier just ot count calories and fat grams. I have also heard that Adkins really only helps if you are 50 pounds overweight or more. I really only want to loose about 20-25 pounds, so I don't fit that. Are you just counting calories now or are you doing fat, protein, or anything else too? I'm just worrying about fat and calories right now on the advice of my husband (he's a nurse and has had several nutrition classes), but in the past watching my sodium intakehas helped, too. It sounds like a really bizarre thing, but sodium can cause you to carry a lot of extra water weight that makes you weigh more than you really should... Just thought I'd share!

-Lauren
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 PM   #9  
Samantha

Lauren - I have noticed many people on here talking about how great Curves is. We have one in this area, but I have never looked into it...is it like a gym? What exactly does it do? And how much does it cost??
Old 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM   #10  

Samantha -

I do really like Curves, though I think it gets boring after a while... What it is is a series of workout machines arranged in a circle. You go around the circle twice doing each of the machines for 30 seconds each with 30 seconds of cardio in between each. the machines are designed to work with your body weight - there are no weights to add or remove. This takes 28 minutes. The idea is that you go at least 3 times a week for this 28 minute workout - it's supposed to be a goal most people can reach. The things I like about it: all female and almost no "skinny mini" girls. Also, it is about the only way I can make myself do any kind of strength training. I don't like that it gets boring after a while and that they have no showers so I can't go before class or at lunch.

I don't know if the cost varies or not... I had to pay a joining fee (I think it was around $50) and then $30 a month. It was worth it when I was going four times a week, but I haven't been in almost three months...

-Lauren
Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #11  

Post Hey Ladies!

Atkins was extremly hard for me. I did eat some seafood and like you said lots of cheese! lol I am counting my calories right now and watching my carbs. Just mainly trying to cut out all the sweets and junk food. That's by big problem since I'm a vegetarian, I hardly ever have time to cook so I want to grab the easy quick cooking food that's not good for me.

I was thinking of joining curves, but it does sound like it would get boring easy.

Christine
Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #12  

Yeah, I wish that you could join only for a few months. It's a great way to get started, but gets old after a while... They make you sign a year contract, though...
Closed Thread