Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #16  

You know. I have tried all the diets and I really think that you should choose one that has balance. I do the low fat thing but I also watch my carbs because I do understand that your body can process these as sugar. I like the prepared lean cuisine type meals and I add in a salad or 2, sometimes dessert and wine. I try not to go over 200g of carb while maintaining my low fat eating habits. I think all the diets are great for education and understanding how your body processes different foods but it is up to us to find a diet that works. I also believe that in that diet you can allow for the things you really love (pizza or chocolate) if you make sure that you make up for it by "being good" the rest of the day. I do a lot of looking at the scale (at least once every morning when I wake up). Sometimes it puts me in a bad mood if I have not lost but I keep on truckin and try to do my best every day. If I have a bad day (food or no exercise) I make sure I am really, really good the next day. Keep it up. It will work for you. I am sure that one day you will not only look better but feel better. Just keep going. Maybe you should keep that food journal in fitday and see what you are eating and if you are burning off your calories. Also post here and get the support when you are not feeling good or want to binge. How are you doing today? Have you gotten your workout in? How about food? I hope you are doing well. If you have not- do at least 15 mins exercise and eat better for the rest of the day. No better time to start like now, right?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:30 PM   #17  
Breast is BEST

Hi All,
Seems we all have the same problem --dieting all our lives. Trying to find a plan that I can stick to without much fuss. I am making low carb pasta salad to bring to work. Plan to cut up cauliflower in a minute to snack on. If I preplan I do so much better. Hubby is great about fixing my food for when I get home but sometimes he is unable to do it and watch the girls. If I could only get my own personal cook like Oprah!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:35 PM   #18  

Hi. Im Lindsey and I just joined today.
I hear talk about all these new diets on tv, radio, etc. And I think they work for some people but I think a balance is best. Watching what you and and I think most importantly is portion size. And exercise is best. But, if I know this why cant I just do it already??
Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #19  

Hello headdoc. You might want to try this. Eat only when hungry, I mean stomach growl hungry. Eat anything you want but eat only a fist size portion, because that is the size of the stomach when shrunk down to normal size, eat slowly and small bites and leave the last bite to achieve peace with food. Anyway hang in there. God BLess.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #20  

Sounds like we are all doing the right things diet/ exercise. Now lets keep on it. So far I have:
headdoc
Ashes
Highstrung
the queen1111
pocho032003
laliwalden
praytherosary822 and
me..bellasmom
in this group. We will all lose the weigth together. We will keep tot he diet and exercise...and when we dont, or when we want to give up, we will be here for eachother and make eachother stay with the plan. Low cal, low carb, lots or little exercise, we are all here for the same reason. We want out health. We want to look our best. WE ARE STRONG WOMEN WHO DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!! We ARE women, hear us ROAR!!!! We will beat this curse of fatty food and fatty bodies. We will be happy and healthy and strong- no matter what it takes. I hope you all are with me and will write in this thread and keep in touch.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #21  

Just letting you all know I am going on vacation and will be back on the 18th. I will promise to be good and even report a weight loss when I get back if you will. If I can do it with vacation dinners and little exercise, so can you. Good Luck, Girls! Talk to you soon!!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #22  

hey guys, how is every one. i am still plugging along. i got those holiday lbs off finally. you know, i do not believe that there is a 'diet' for everyone. i have been at this for years and am just realizing that i have to cut calories to lose. i tried low low carb but i can eat 2 porterhouse steaks no problem. low carb did not work for me. i have also found i need some carb to be able to exercise effectively. i do believe it works for some. i think the problem we all probably have is being swayed by the newest quick fix plan. it is the weekend so my hardest time. welcome to all the new guys, thanks for responding. bellasmom, i think your idea to team up is great! see you when back from vacation. ashes, when you find that personal chef let me know. i can't imagine how hard dieting must be in new orleans with all that wonderful food. my sister is taking me to new orleans for my 40th b-day in october and we have the chef's table at commander's palace(no dieting that night i think).talk to everyone soon tina
Old 07-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #23  
thequeen1111

Hi group!
Your postings have been inspiring - it's great to know that support exists. Thanks for the "fitday" journal tip....not being very computer savvy, I'm just learning what's out there. headdoc...I'm with you - need some carbs and can pack away steak like nobody's business. laliwalden - I like you KNOW from the years I've been dieting what is good and what is bad....why can't I apply that knowledge and get back into a healthy weight range? I tried Optifast program and counseling came along with it BUT when the 12 weeks of liquid only was up, so was the support...med docs didn't get the fact that being on Optifast was easy...it's being on FOOD that's tough!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #24  
MikeH

I also just joined. I've been following my own plan for a couple of years now, just eating 1500 cals per day though the week (mainly low carb) and not much worrying about it on the weekends. At least for me, this works pretty well! I also do a heavy workout six days per week. The idea is to figure out how many calories are required to survive and then cut it down well below that.

Do the math: more energy out than in results in weight loss. That old myth about a dieter's body become too efficient to lose weight is just crap. I don't care HOW efficient your body is, it isn't magical. If you take in less calories than you burn off you are going to lose weight!

I don't get too hungry because I eat a small amount every couple hours. I eat a little, a lot! Of course, fast foods are killers and I just don't eat 'em. (On weekends I'll have the occasional burger, but I haven't had a fry in years.)

Following this system I've reached my goal weight of 190, and now have to eat more to maintain my weight. Of course, everyone is different so I guess you just have to find what works for you. But for years I thought it was impossible to lose weight and so just didn't bother trying. But it IS possible, so just keep with it!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:45 PM   #25  
kerry

Hi all, I'm very new too. I'm 42 and have been overweight all my life. I want to spend the next 40 years thinner if possible. I lost 52 pounds last year but just put about 15 back on because I just quit smoking. I am burned out as well. I really want to lose that 15 as well as the other 34 I needed to lose but just can't seem to get with it. Any advice? Kerry
Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #26  
Breast is BEST

Hi All
This week is going well so far. Has anyone tried the reduced carb pasta by Luxury brand. It is pretty good. Made a great pasta salad. What diet are you all doing to get it off? FInally down to 153 ...........Can't wait to hit the 140's!!

Renee
Old 07-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #27  
Breast is BEST

Hi All
This week is going well so far. Has anyone tried the reduced carb pasta by Luxury brand. It is pretty good. Made a great pasta salad. What diet are you all doing to get it off? FInally down to 153 ...........Can't wait to hit the 140's!!

Renee
Old 07-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #28  

hi everyone. i am getting discouraged today. i have about 5 perfect food and exercise days and nothing. not a fraction of a pound or an inch gone. this is when i have trouble keeping focus. my body seems to like this 250 lb mark and it seems it will not budge, at least not for the last 7 weeks. i hate to cut calories more as i am pretty satisfied with the 1500 cal. i continue to exercise 30-45 min per day( weights and cardio). any advice?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #29  

Hey Gang! I am back from vacation and doing ok. I did not lose any (I didnt think I would) but I didnt gain either. I had a wonderful relaxing time on the beach and loved everything about the outer banks. We stayed in the 4x4 area in corolla and you actually had to drive along the beach for a few miles to get to the house. The house overlooked the beach and was maybe 200 steps to the surf. It is a wild horse sanctuary and my daughter went crazy looking at the horses come right up to the surf and play. There were dolphins swimming by every day and lots to look at - very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing.
I really needed the break but found it was actually too peaceful sometimes. I am a get up and go kind of person and I like to go on a cruise or stay at a resort so that there is always something going on. My sister and I are going to make up for the lack of excitement on this past vacation by planning a cruise with a bunch of the girls we know this January. I really want to be skinny mini by then and am going to do my best to stay on the diet, get the weight off and listen to my body (not eat when I am not hungry), and EXERCISE EVERY DAY.
Headdoc- I think maybe if you shock your system doing either more or less of what you are doing for a day or 2 you might see a weight loss. I know when I plateau if I eat less than what I normally do or if I do not exercise for a day or 2 I lose some weight the next day.
Ashes- Never tried that brand low-carb pasta but will try it. (My husband does the atkins style diet and I do a combo lower carb/ low fat diet)
Kerrypchef- Just stay looking at the boards and keep motivated. Make it a small (15mins or less) part of your day to think about how you are going to stay on track for the day. Make eating healthier, smaller portions a part of you life and limit or eliminate the tempting foods in your house. Obviously, get in as much exercise as you can ( I use a pedometer during the day and try to make it to 10K steps or more every day and 15 K at least 2 days a week). I also do a short 20 min workout every day with weights resistance bands.
We are all fighting or have fought the same battle and will be here for when you when you want to talk about anything. I think that these boards can get to be a little annoying sometimes because they are so focused on food sometimes. You really do not want talking or thinking about food to be a huge part of your day. You want to eliminate those urges the best way you can by re-focusing on something other than food. I know I use my journal on fitday and sometimes talk to people that I have met here to keep motivated but I dont like to keep harping on the food and weight because it is usually stress that makes me want to eat. I think these boards - once you get to know people here- can be more about making friends with common interests that have a common goal. You can talk to these friends about that bad day you had or whatever stresses you out. You can then get through the stress or disappointments and can keep on track.

Well, gang, it sure is good to be home. Keep in touch!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:47 PM   #30  

Default welcome back

hi bellasmom, good to have you back. my plateau has eased a bit. so glad your vacation was fun. my family also vacations at the outer banks(hatteras island), we will be going in august. leaving for florida this week for husband's meeting. vacations and holidays are always my trouble spots so i hope just to not gain. hope everyone else is doing well. let us here from you. tina
Closed Thread