Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Smile I'm a new loser here and thought I'd say "HI".

GREETINGS FROM A SMALL APARTMENT IN SAN DIEGO.

My name is Chris. I am a 35 year old microbiology student. I am engaged and have no children, only 2 dogs and a cat. I've been visiting this website for a while now, but it wasn't until today that I discovered the forums. I was very excited to find you all, because I think an important component of a weight loss program is having support from other people trying to/losing weight. I see that there is lots of good information on these boards!

My fiance and I began our weight loss journey on 1/6/04...we signed up for the Discovery Channel National Body Challenge and we've found it to be an excellent way for us to lose weight. I started the program at 232lbs with a goal weight of 140lbs. Right now, I am down to 194lbs. I did really well at first, but after the challenge ended in the beginning of April, I stopped visiting the message boards at Discovery and I think that is when the slippery slope of deviance began. I've been slipping up a lot lately and want to get back on track.

So, I look forward to getting to know you all, getting back on my track to weight loss/health and I'm glad to have this board available as a resource!

Thank you,

Chris
Old 06-04-2004, 02:10 AM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome chris! This is a wonderful place for support and information. Congrats on the success you have had so far. It is amazing. Did the challenge on Discovery tell you what to eat and how to exercise or did you just pick your own plan?

At least you have come here after only a little slip and are ready to get back on track. Hope to hear more from you. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #3  

Default Hang in there

None of us are perfect and try not to be so hard on yourself. I know how you feel. I had lost 80 pounds and put most of it back on. There are some days that I just want to kick myself for that, and I wish I could blame it on someone or something else, but I have to take responsibility for my actions, no one put that weight back on but me and no one will be able to take it off but me. Take it one day at a time. Forget about yesterdays failures and don't look too far into the future or you may get overwhelmed. Just live for today. Take care and God Bless You
Old 06-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #4  
Future Wonder Woman

Arrow Discovery plan etc...

Thanks for your welcome, Steph. It looks like a great place to be! Yes, I'm happy with my progress so far...I've never been able to lose any weight, only keep puttin' it on! The Discovery plan taught us a little about nutrition (insulins' relation to fat storage, importance of water & how it helps with weight loss, importance of fiber, the difference between good and bad fats etc.) and exercise. It gave us a choice of things to eat...they had recipes for simple things that were also very delicious. e.g. Chicken Avocado Breakfast Tortilla, which had egg whites, green peppers, onions, avocado, chicken, tomatoes and a little salsa on a corn tortilla. Yummy! All the recipes were simple and most were good. Basically, I was eating 5 times a day. Each meal was no more than 244 calories, 22g carbs, 19g protein, 9g fat and at least 5-7g of fiber.

They had an online meal planner & food log, which made it super easy to get into. I'm telling you, it changed my life! I am so thankful for Discovery putting that on. It's not that I think that the Discovery way is THE way to lose weight (although it is for me), but it was the CATALYST for the wheels to start turning, and just getting started is the hardest part! I've desired to lose weight for a long time, but I've never liked salads and I've never liked bland foods. I thought that was the definition of healthy eating. I'm glad I was wrong.

Now, exercise is a whole other matter. Steph, I HATE to exercise. I mean I absolutely hate it! About the most I've been able to work up to is 4 days a week this past semester, I would park 1/2 mile away from school and walk to and from school. That's it. Now, I know if I really want to lose my weight and get definition, I'm definitely going to have to start to at least tolerate it. I found a wonderful website yesterday while reading the Skinny Daily...it is the America On The Move website. I don't know if you've been there, but I think it will really challenge me to "get moving". Today, I began wearing my pedometer (again) and found myself trying to get in extra steps. It's pretty fun! Some day, I will work up to lifting weights/resistance training...but that is still a little ways off.

I am VERY glad to have found this forum, I really believe it will help get me back on track. Even just reading the posts reminds me of what I have to do and reminds me that I must always be vigilant because it is such a slippery slope to bad eating and inactivity.

I see you are doing the South Beach Diet...how do you like it? My older brother is doing that and he loves it and has good success with it. What do you do for exercise? Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks for your encouragement,

Chris

p.s. I think Brittney has an awesome body! I love the fact that she isn't super skinny and has curves.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:19 AM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by praytherosary822
None of us are perfect and try not to be so hard on yourself. I have to take responsibility for my actions, no one put that weight back on but me and no one will be able to take it off but me.
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I do tend to get hard on myself sometimes, as probably most people do. Every once in a while, I need a reminder to be gentle to "me". I agree with you, we have to take responsibility for our actions...sometimes that is unpleasant business but I guess it makes us a stronger person when we do. Thanks for your advice and I wish you well!

Chris
Old 06-05-2004, 05:46 AM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hi Chris, congrats on your lose so far. I am also following the South Beach Diet. There is a foroum on it. You should check it out there is lots of facts and info this will give you an idea if it is a plan that you can follow. Also preventions web site has lots of Beach info. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #7  
Future Wonder Woman

Smile

Thanks! I'll check out the SB stuff. From what I gather, my food plan is sort of a little Atkins and a little SB. I say whatever works, work it!

Cheers,
Closed Thread