Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #1  

Default I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Hello

I’m 43 and at least 50 pounds overweight.

First a little background about what I’m doing, then my questions. Four weeks ago I joined a YMCA and began their beginner weight machine program. In addition to the weights I ride an exercise bike 10 to 15 minutes and I swim most days I go to the Y, usually 2 laps and then just some water exercises. I go the Y 4 to 5 days each week. I also changed what I was eating. Instead of getting something from the snack machine each morning I have oatmeal. I now bring my lunch instead of eating at the local café and I generally have a frozen Weight Watchers type entrée that is between 250 and 350 calories. For dinner I’ve been eating more baked fish such as talapia and salmon.

I have looked at the Atkins and South Beach diets but can’t seem to find a way to incorporate them into the hours I work and the amount of time I spend traveling for work. If I could take two weeks off work and do nothing but follow those diets, then I could see it working.

Can I lose weight doing what I’m doing? I haven’t really lost anything so far, and I’ve been going to the Y for four weeks now. I’ve maybe lost 1 or 2 pounds. I do know I’m building up my strength as I’ve been able to increase both my weights and my reps on the machines. I am also more limber as I do a stretching machine each time I go in. I have a horse and I’ve made my goal that I want to be able to mount without the aid of a mounting block. Now if I don’t use the mounting block I just can’t get my big butt up and over the saddle without a tremendous effort.

I also don’t really understand carbs and fats and what I should know about them. When I’m at the grocery store, I don’t know what to buy or what to look for on the ingredient’s labels. When I try and look up information, a lot of what I see seems to be contradictory. I also have read a lot about flushing toxins from your system. Does this really work and if so has anyone tried something that is simple?

I guess I’m writing because I want to lose weight, but I have no real idea if what I’m doing is going to work. I realize one of the diets would give me the weight loss right away, but I’m realistic about myself and know that I probably wouldn’t stick with it and that would just depress me. So far I’m really into going to the Y and working out, but just a little disappointed that not much is happening in the weight department.

I’m not sure how the buddy system works, but would be happy to correspond with anyone.

Thanks for reading!
Connie
Old 03-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #2  

I think the first thing I would do is to start journaling, basically if you eat it, you write it and tally up approximately how much calories you are getting in each day. Don't forget the coffee, soda, juice etc.......Good Luck with your effort
Old 03-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Connie,

By no means am I an expert, but it sounds like you are off to a good start. I am replying because I have been going thru the same thing.

I joined a gym about 4 weeks ago and go about 5 times a week - 30 min on the treadmill and 20 on the machines. I have about 80 to lose and I thought I would see something right away but only in the last few days did the scale start to budge.

I think for some people, it takes a little longer for your body to respond to the changes. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people on this board that can explain it better than me. But as long as you keep up the exercise and watch what you eat, you should start to see changes very soon.

Lynn
Old 03-14-2004, 07:21 PM   #4  

Thanks for the messages. Lynn, thanks for posting. I'm glad to know I am not alone. I can't do the treadmill because of a heel problem. I have to stick to the machines that won't inpact the bottom of my foot. That's why I like the bike so much. Also, on the bike I practice swining up and over as if I was mounting the horse. I'm sure anyone who is watching has to wonder what the heck I'm doing, but I figure it can't hurt.

Connie
Old 03-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #5  
Goddess In Training

Smile Hi Connie! (my first post on these boards)

Hi!
I sure sounds like you know what you're doing! I only have two suggestions. First, if you want a form of exercise that won't hurt your feet, water exercise is just perfect! Our YMCA has water aerobics classes at various hours, and if you haven't done it before I would suggest a class. But once you know what you're doing, you can do it on your own. I like to exercise in the deep well so that there's no impact whatsoever on my feet or knees.

My other suggestion is Nutrisystem. It's perfect for someone who doesn't have time to cook or plan healthy menus. There's no membership fee; you just buy their prepackaged food. The beautiful thing about the food is that it's all shelf-stable; you can keep it in your pantry (or suitcase - car - desk drawer - wherever you need it!) and either microwave it or add hot water. You add your own veggies and fruits (when you're on the go you can grab a salad just about anywhere and carry your own fruit). I am totally in love with NS. I have quite a bit to lose, but I've already lost 61 pounds on NS since August and that's with plenty of cheat days.

NS has a great web site where you can get one on one support from a counselor, and the fabulous folks on their forums. There's also an online food diary where you can keep up with what you're eating. Check it out at http://www.nutrisystem.com if you're interested.

I just found this site and it looks like a great place to learn and find support!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
~Isobel
Closed Thread