Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #1  
Geeky and loving it

Default New start

Hi, all, I'm new here. My name's Julie, and I'm actually on my first official diet after being chunky for most of my adolescent and young-adult life. For a long time, I dealt with serious depression and anxiety disorder, and those really messed with my eating habits, and the drugs I later took to heal myself only made me gain more weight.
Things got worse earlier in the year. I'm a poor college student, and for a while, I was out of work due to a semi-seasonal job. While living between paychecks, I was stuck eating pancakes and ramen most days, and that messed my metabolism up even further. When I went to the doctor two weeks ago to get a refill on my prescriptions, she took a look at me, at my tummy (where all the weight goes), asked about my general health lately, and sent me in for a blood test. Following her prediction, my insulin production was way too high and I was ruled hyperglycemic.
The doctor pointed me to SugarBusters, which I snagged ASAP and took with me as I went grocery shopping. I'm eating only whole wheat now and much less carbs and more protien (getting paycheck and stocking my apartment with good stuff helps lots), and I'm feeling much, much better in general.
I'm currently 5'5" and 190lb- 5 pounds less than when I first stepped on the doctor's scale about a week and a half ago.
There are a lot of things going through my head as I deal with this. At first, I was angry about being pretty much told to change- I've spent too long trying to be ok with myself, finally made progress, and was then told that it wasn't good enough. I'm a bit scared of the change, especially as far as body image goes; I've always been 'the fat kid' and seeing myself as anything different is a bit frightening to me. I'm happy that I'm doing well on this, though I do get frustrated when I want to go out to eat, even for something prepared from the grocery store.) In all, though, I'm feeling optomistic, and I think that being able to talk to others who are working through their weight-loss journeys, whether SB or otherwise, will be a huge help.
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know the people in this community!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #2  

Welcome

First I want to let you know that I understand about being afraid. In the last 5 years I gained over 50 lbs. I've grown so used to the extra weight that I've been afraid to lose it, afraid to give up comfort foods and afraid of how people will see me. You are not alone in any of this. I've also had anxiety problems, and trust me, those meds can really screw with your metabolism. I used to be thin but it's been a long time and sometimes I'm not sure if I can be that again but I know I have to try. I'm not on a certain diet at the moment (just trying to eat healthy) but I think sugar busters is a great idea. Don't forget to incorporate some form of daily exercise, it really makes a difference.
The best of luck to you.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Welcome Sporkqueen....or Julie....(love that user name though...it's cute)

I understand how you feel about attending college and trying to stick to a schedule....school can be stressful and you either eat, eat, eat or not eat at all....both are no good.

You mentioned SugarBusters....I wanted to let you know that there is a forum just for SugarBusters that you may want to visit and post any questions or concerns. Everyone here will welcome you with open arms.....I am not doing the SBD, but I've heard lots of great things.

And as Dinamichele mentioned, don't forget to incorporate exercise....it always helps. I have just started walking around the neighborhood and as soon as the weather allows it...I plan on taking advantage of the track at school. I'm sure your college has a track...so grab a friend and start gossiping around the track...makes time go by and you get the walking in!!

You've lost 5lbs. so far...congratulations to that!! Don't worry, you have the determination and you'll reach your goal. If you ever need to yap in general, feel free to visit us in the Jaded Lady forum or you can PM me anytime.

Welcome once again Julie and good luck to you!

Marti, another Oregonian
Closed Thread