Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default NEW! :) and a buncha questions :)

Hello,
I'm new I've tried doing this on my own but need support. On Christmas, I got a FitBit, and started tracking my steps. Not really doing so well. But by January 20th, after visiting my doctor, I weighed 266 lbs, and was at wits end on what to do, i tried EVERYTHING. I was already taking Wellbutrin for depression, and it had slightly lowered my appetite, but not enough to help me lose weight. She put me on Topomax. This helped because it made things taste bad. From January 20th on , I haven't had any soda of any kind or any sweetened drink, because they taste horrible. My appetite has gotten lower, I've started tracking my food intake on my fitbit, and I usually am under 1500 calories, with output on calories aroun 2100-2700 a day. I'm always underbudget for calories according to the fitbit. Since January 20th, I've lost 16 lbs. I can't see it anywhere, but the scales tell me so. I am on my feet, walking at least 3 hours a day where I work, not fast paced, but still on my feet, and try to go for a mile walk at least once a day, sometimes it's once a week because of the weather. im 42 years old, and up until now have been pretty sedentary.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. I'm not sure if I'm really doing this right or not, as the last week, i've been gaining and losing the same pound. I also heard that walking isn't enough..that I need to be exercising more... The problem is with time, a walk is about all the time I have during the day to exercise. and as fitbit says 27'17" whatever that means.. Im not sure quite how to read it. I know that my heart rate is up ....because I can feel it.. i just need advice ..am i doing things right? wrong?....etc..
clreed73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #2  
Garmin: TrixieCatLAX

S/C/G: 205.3 / 188.4 / 145.0

Height: 5'5"

Hi, clreed73!

I literally just saw another user on Wellbutrin and Topomax and wish that I could point you to the thread so that you can share your experiences. Sorry. However, the fact that there's someone else out there on 3FC who has that in common with you should be proof that this is a good place to be!

Major kudos to you for losing 16 lbs. My recommendation for you is to start tracking your measurements (even just your waist will be a great indicator) so that you can have another way to see how your body is responding to your new lifestyle changes.

The place to find the sort of advice you are looking for is in the "Weight Loss Support" subforum. I'm sure that I'll see you around the boards!
TrixieCatLAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

16lbs since January 20th is really good; but no, it takes a lot more than that (in my view) for us to see it ourselves (let alone others). Believe your scales!

Also believe that walking more and eating less Will lead to weight loss. That's all I've done, and I've lost 79lbs since June 1st 2015. I'm not saying other exercise isn't good, and I am expecting to have to do more gym-type exercise so that I can tone up the body that's gradually emerging, but don't think you're not doing enough, I think you're doing it exactly right.

I'm not sure about the 27'17" thing, my fitbit records steps and distance in miles; although if I set it to "hike" it does give me a time in that sort of format as the minutes and seconds I've taken to walk a mile.

The only thing I'd add is to make sure you're not eating too little. 1500 calories isn't that much when you've got a fair bit to lose; lower isn't necessarily better or even faster in weightloss (it seems).
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote