Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/270/200

Height: 5'6"

Default apprehensive newbie

Hey, I'm Kat.

I've been over weight my entire life, and I am on several medications for anxiety and bipolar disorder. I've also had stomach/digestive problems.

I'm serious about losing weight but don't really know how to go about it.
I need tips! Well, I need help.
kthlnmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #2  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Hi, Kat and welcome to 3fc!

everyone is different, and what works for one might not work for another. For me, it was easier to calorie count. I was pretty strict when I started out, but it worked for me. I used a calorie counting app on my phone. I also advise that you are open to try different foods. I've had some pretty good stuff that I would have never thought I liked. Do your stomach /digestive problems limit the type of food you can eat?

good luck, and explore some of these threads to find a group/groups that have the same problems and can also offer tips
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
Hi, Kat and welcome to 3fc!

everyone is different, and what works for one might not work for another. For me, it was easier to calorie count. I was pretty strict when I started out, but it worked for me. I used a calorie counting app on my phone. I also advise that you are open to try different foods. I've had some pretty good stuff that I would have never thought I liked. Do your stomach /digestive problems limit the type of food you can eat?

good luck, and explore some of these threads to find a group/groups that have the same problems and can also offer tips
Thank you so much!
The only foods I'm really limited from eating are bad for me anyway, such as cheeseburgers and the like.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #4  
sassyfluff

S/C/G: 346/329.4/...

Height: 5' 5"

Kisskiss I am also a newbie (three weeks and counting) and have found that calorie counting has been working for me. What kind of calorie deficit worked for you? (flat amount? percentage?) How often did you recalculate what your target calorie intake would be? Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kthlnmnstr Hey! Welcome. I am also new to the forum (joined 08/11) and also new to this weight loss journey. Your 15 lb loss is mighty impressive. I am almost there. I have lost a little over 11 lbs, probably mostly water weight.
sassyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfluff View Post
Kisskiss I am also a newbie (three weeks and counting) and have found that calorie counting has been working for me. What kind of calorie deficit worked for you? (flat amount? percentage?) How often did you recalculate what your target calorie intake would be? Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kthlnmnstr Hey! Welcome. I am also new to the forum (joined 08/11) and also new to this weight loss journey. Your 15 lb loss is mighty impressive. I am almost there. I have lost a little over 11 lbs, probably mostly water weight.
Hey! ^_^ Congrats on your 11lbs for sure.
It has taken me awhile but at least if the scale isn't going up up up, I'm pretty satisfied.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #6  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Hi sassyfluff and welcome! I used an online calculator to figure out my BMR and how much I would need to lose 2 pounds a week...I think when I first started off I was eating about 1700-1900 calories a week, and as I've lost I've adjusted it (probably after about 25 pounds lost I would re-adjust it, but usually I played with my calorie intake if I wasn't losing or if I plateaud). I've gone as low as 1200, but that is a very unattainable long term calorie deficit for me.

Good luck!!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #7  
sassyfluff

S/C/G: 346/329.4/...

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
Hi sassyfluff and welcome! I used an online calculator to figure out my BMR and how much I would need to lose 2 pounds a week...I think when I first started off I was eating about 1700-1900 calories a week, and as I've lost I've adjusted it (probably after about 25 pounds lost I would re-adjust it, but usually I played with my calorie intake if I wasn't losing or if I plateaud). I've gone as low as 1200, but that is a very unattainable long term calorie deficit for me.

Good luck!!
Kisskiss Thank you for the response! I have followed the guidelines per the online calculators to create the appropriate deficit for a 2lb/week weight loss and am going on 15lb total loss soon, was wondering how often I should be recalculating. Thank you, I will keep to the 25 or so to then readjust. Your journey is inspiring!
sassyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #8  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

I have to say I stand behind weight watchers 100% I lost 30lbs last time and this time im down 41lbs so far. Idk why but its much easier for me to follow this instead of counting calories
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Kat! I am on a diet that is basically low glycemic index, but there are lots of healthy ways to lose weight. Be sure to check out the Diet Central section to get some ideas! With your stomach/digestive and mood issues, I would also do some research on probiotics/prebiotics if I were you. I wish you the best! Glad you joined us!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #10  

Thanks so much guys! ^_^
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

kthlnmnstr
I must say that I struggled for years on my own but recently sought help of a physician and got into a comprehensive weight control program. The team includes a nutritionist, a physician, exercise physiologist, and a behaviorist. I am on a VLCD - very low calorie diet- with regular check ins with the doc. Going to the office once a week and having to demonstrate I stayed "on plan" has helped me stay more accountable than when I was the only one paying attention. I started the last week of July and I am already down 17 lbs
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote