Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5' 1

Default Haven't lost 1 pound

I started weight watchers again after doing low carb for the last 2 years, unsuccessfully, apparently :-) for the past week I have followed weight watchers to a tee and have been exercising for an hour three days per week. Why have I not loss 1 pound. The only thing I can think of is that my body is not used to getting so much carbs. For the second week I am going to try to keep my carbs very low and see if that helps. The problem is I was looking forward to being able to eat carbs as long as I stayed within my points. I live for a six inch subway sandwich for lunch and popcorn for my nighttime snack. HELP,
Yo1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

If you have not exercised regularly before, you may not loose much weight, because your body builds muscle (denser than fat). This happened to me. I actually gained weight for 4 months before I started loosing. However, I lost a lot of inches. Start measuring yourself and follow your progress. Don't just rely on your scale. Just continue weight watchers while working out and give it some time. I am sure you will see progress. One week is too short a time.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Maybe you should post a sample of your daily menu. Also it isn't muscle.Woman do not build muscle easily and certainly not in a week.You may want to post this on the weight watchers board as well.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #5  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Are you new to exercise? You can 'gain' through inflammation of the muscles or water retention. This isn't a permanent gain but you may hang onto it for a while and then 'ploof' it's gone.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Just give it more time. It is true that if you are new to exercise you can seem to be gaining from inflammation, water & a small amount of muscle gain possibly. Or it could also be the shift to more carbs. But sooner or later if the calories are right, you will lose. Keep going. Hugs.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your body needs time to adjust to this new way of eating. Keep a food log of everything you eat. Make sure to add in condiments and whatnot. Keeping a food log has helped me to stop engaging in mindless eating.

You may not have lost weight for any number of reasons. I build muscle like a mofo. I'm talkin' straight up Lou Ferrigno style on a diet of mostly cereal with a lot of sitting and some sleeping. So I may lose inches but I won't lose weight and I may gain weight. So definitely measure yourself and then continue to do that once a month. It could also be water weight. Drink loads of water and then check again in a few days. It could be your TOM cycle. You should track how your cycle affects your weight and eating patterns. Just before my period I get really hungry and I tend to release water weight. I've heard that other women gain water weight when they are on their period, so we're all different.

You mentioned that you tried low carb for 2 years. Did you exercise as well? How diligent were you with that plan? If you were very strict and didn't lose much weight you might want to get your blood tested to see if you have any thyroid issues.

Good luck! And never give up!
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I did low carb for over a year and just switched to weight watchers oct 15, 2012. I had stalled out for months just bouncing back and forth a few pounds, so that's why I switched. It was great at first getting to have carbs again, but I went hog wild at the holidays and gained back everything I had lost since starting weight watchers. I have noticed that since introducing all those carbs back into my diet all of those cravings came back as well. I am not giving up on weight watchers yet because it's my fault for going off of it over the holidays, and it did kickstart my weight loss when I first switched over, but I will go back to atkins if these cravings don't let up. I think the reason why i stalled out on atkins was because i had developed a bad craving for peanut butter and i think i was overdoing it. I definitely lost with low carb and i loved the fact that i didn't have so many cravings, although i've never craved peanut butter before or since i quit low carbing. It was a serious craving too - weird.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't have success with the low carb. I completely understand how you feel about getting to eat subway and popcorn again. I wouldn't give up on weight watchers yet. I did see a weight loss after starting weight watchers. I got down to my lowest weight, which was 255, but then we started having all the holiday potlucks at work and several family holiday parties. I think i just have a serious problem with carbs - once I get started I have a hard time stopping.

Don't give up! There are a lot of supportive people on this website and a lot of success stories. Let them give you some inspiration. There is a guy on this website who lost a tremendous amount of weight following weight watchers. I'll have to look back and see if I can find his story and get you the link so you can read it. It's very inspirational.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

welcome to 3fc!!

I know how frustrating it is to stay on plan and not see any progress, esp. when you first start a new program. I agree with someone who suggested posting your menu for the week - there is a lot of knowledge and experience here and that might help with giving you some concrete suggestions you could try.

The other question I have is whether you weighed and measured your food to make sure you were having the right amounts.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #11  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

It might be that you aren't reaching a calorie deficit. Another posted suggested to post your menu, that would be great if you can do that. I just joined ww last saturday. I think I might do carb cycling while doing weight watchers.

Last edited by Stars; 01-11-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 166

Height: 5 foot 4

Question- how low carb was the low carb... like Atkins low carb (hardly any) or more balanced, like South Beach?

If it was Atkins.. many people actually gain back 4-5 pounds immediately after introducing carbs. I forget the scientific reason, but it has something to do with water being stored in the liver which you lose initially (and gain back immediately).

If you have not excerised before, I would lower it down and start milder, focus on weight bearing... like 20 minute sessions total at first. I would also avoid the highly processed carbs (i.e. sugar, white bread) until your body gets used to it.

Everybody's body is different, but back when I actually had time to exercise / prepare food / eat healthy, when I cut my calories too much (this INCLUDED exercising much more than I was used to and keeping calories the same) I lost NO weight - my body thought it was starving. I had to increase calories by a few hundred until I started losing (or lower exercise).

Also, watch the salt. A lot of carbs have high salt content, and (also if you are excercising a lot more and not increasing water) your body could be retaining onto fluid.

I wish I could take my own advice and have time to exercise or prepare food/eat well
gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote