Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5

Smile New and discouraged...

Hi all! I"m here looking for support from those who actually get the struggle that being overweight is. Recently my best friend who also has weight issues reached her goal weight and it no longer feels "safe" to share my struggles with her. I"m very happy for her, but feeling sad for me. This past year after a bout of depression I started on antidepressants and my weight increased by a very significant amount. I'm tired of struggling with weight related emotions and thoughts and would love to finally free my body of this excess weight (but in a healthy way). In my 20s I had anorexia and absolutely refuse to let myself go in that direction again. I know I need support and a safe place to vent and encourage and get encouragement. I'm a single mom to three wonderful little girls so getting to the gym is virtually impossible, but i'm dreaming up ways I may be able to get there in the new year. I'm mostly gluten free and try to eat a higher protein diet. I have all the head knowledge I need, but just need to put it into action. What I really need is a good kick in the butt by people who care and I'm hoping this is the place. Pleased to be here and wishing everyone a happy holiday season and a blessed new year!
3chiclets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Hi and welcome! I am still getting my footing, but I know I have found lots of motivation and knowledge on this site so far.

Making small steps to a healthier lifestyle seems to work better than jumping in for me.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chiclets View Post
Hi all! I"m here looking for support from those who actually get the struggle that being overweight is. Recently my best friend who also has weight issues reached her goal weight and it no longer feels "safe" to share my struggles with her. I"m very happy for her, but feeling sad for me. This past year after a bout of depression I started on antidepressants and my weight increased by a very significant amount. I'm tired of struggling with weight related emotions and thoughts and would love to finally free my body of this excess weight (but in a healthy way). In my 20s I had anorexia and absolutely refuse to let myself go in that direction again. I know I need support and a safe place to vent and encourage and get encouragement. I'm a single mom to three wonderful little girls so getting to the gym is virtually impossible, but i'm dreaming up ways I may be able to get there in the new year. I'm mostly gluten free and try to eat a higher protein diet. I have all the head knowledge I need, but just need to put it into action. What I really need is a good kick in the butt by people who care and I'm hoping this is the place. Pleased to be here and wishing everyone a happy holiday season and a blessed new year!
tough love here - are you setting yourself up for failure by trying to start dieting right before the food laden holidays?
DO you have a plan of action - what you are going to stop eating and what your are going to start eating? A great way of doing this is through myfitnesspal.com its also a free app for your phone. ( u can friend me there is you would like - let me find out what my screen name is!
This helps you see how much of everything you are eating during the day - carbs, fats, protein etc
Then you have to wrap your head around the fact that you have to stop eating like you are to lose weight. I am an emotional eater and I know it but i finally figured out that dieting is 99% in my brain. Once I did that and found a weight loss plan that I thought I could handle I did well. I'm doing Ideal Protein only using the alternatives so that it is much cheaper for me.
It takes time to take it all off but I am determined and know that I can never go back to eating like I did before I started my new lifestyle
Tell yourself that you can and you will!!!!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome, to the original poster! You can lose the weight, in a healthy way. Congrats on taking the first step! We are here to support u! Take the girls for walks or stretch in your home. Low-carb is working for me.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #5  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

Hi and welcome!

Speaking from your friend's position... I am nearly at my goal weight and have a few close friends who are still far from theirs. It makes me sad to think that would no longer feel safe talking to me about their struggle. I remember very vividly how it feels to be overweight and still struggle with my food choices on a daily basis. Just some food for thought.

I'm also a mom to little ones and thank God for gyms with childcare included... Have you checked for that option in your area?
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I can relate to alot of what you said. I too was anorexic once. I too gained a lot of weight on antidepressants. But I know I contributed, it wasn't just the medication. Not saying this was the case for you but I know I was out of control. I am still on the drugs but have managed to lose a little. My psychiatrist said my pills didn't affect my metabolism but may be giving me cravings for fat and sugar. It's hard no question but it can be done. And I also don't have much time for exercise. You probably do burn calories just keeping
up with your kids!

I am pretty new too and have found this to be a great place with tons of motivation and inspiration. There is a board for people with depression here so you will not feel alone.

Welcome and happy holidays to you too!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote