Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #1  

Default Gallbladder removal, weight gain & constipation

Thank you for being here!

I had my gallbladder removed several months ago and gained a lot of weight almost immediately as a result (despite the fact that I was actually eating less).

After many failed attempts at losing, counting calories seems to be the only thing that helps, which is what led me to this website.

I recently ordered supplements from a gallbladder support website that I'm hoping will help, but I haven't figured out a solution to the constipation yet, which is something I struggled with long before the gallbladder was removed.

If anyone has any suggestions, or can lead me to a thread in this forum that might give me some insights, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited by CrystalRose; 07-18-2012 at 05:13 PM.
CrystalRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #2  

Hi CrystaRose, welcome! I hope you find a lot of insight and encouragement on this site.

I also had my gallbladder removed about 3 years ago and have also gained about 34 pounds,do you think the operation could have added to the weight gain??
Flattum2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/181/130

Height: 5 feet

Ladies what were your symptoms. I just had an ultra sound last week and am waiting for results.
littlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #4  

I were pregnant when I had symptoms and almost thought it was labour pains. But after the pain went away, the obgyn found that it was a gallstone moving through the bile duct. So 4 weeks after my ceaserian I had to go in for my gallbladder opp.
Flattum2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183.4/177.2/130

Height: 5'0"

Hi Ladies! I just had my gall bladder out 13 days ago. I started IP 2 days ago. I am hoping this keeps me from gaining weight as I have 40 pounds to lose
DayDay615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #6  

DayDay615, what does IP mean?

Flattum - yes, I attribute most of the weight gain to the procedure. I did a lot of research on the subject following the surgery and found support groups filled with people who were up in arms about their gain. I'm not a medical professional, but I believe the gallbladder helps metabolize fats. Weight gain, however, doesn't happen to everyone who has their gallbladder removed - my co-worker LOST weight. The website I ordered supplements from is gallbladdersupport.com

littlechick, I had intense (and periodic) stomach pain for several years that at one point, landed me in the ER. We all thought it was acid reflux. Last December, I went to a doctor who suspected gallstones and prescribed an ultrasound. Sure enough, she was right.

No more pain, thank God!

Working on the weight loss now, and the constipation.

Have you seen any good threads on constipation?

Today, I tried 2T of flaxseed, 1T of psyllium and a small container of Activia yogurt. I have a two page spreadsheet filled with ideas. I'll give each one 3 to 5 days before I move on to the next.

On Saturday, I will be getting a colon hydrotherapy treatment.

I hope something works soon!

Last edited by CrystalRose; 07-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7  

crystalRose- That is what I have is stomach pain and nausea. I get my results from my ultra sound monday.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 183.4/177.2/130

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRose View Post
DayDay615, what does IP mean?

Flattum - yes, I attribute most of the weight gain to the procedure. I did a lot of research on the subject following the surgery and found support groups filled with people who were up in arms about their gain. I'm not a medical professional, but I believe the gallbladder helps metabolize fats. Weight gain, however, doesn't happen to everyone who has their gallbladder removed - my co-worker LOST weight. The website I ordered supplements from is gallbladdersupport.com

littlechick, I had intense (and periodic) stomach pain for several years that at one point, landed me in the ER. We all thought it was acid reflux. Last December, I went to a doctor who suspected gallstones and prescribed an ultrasound. Sure enough, she was right.

No more pain, thank God!

Working on the weight loss now, and the constipation.

Have you seen any good threads on constipation?

Today, I tried 2T of flaxseed, 1T of psyllium and a small container of Activia yogurt. I have a two page spreadsheet filled with ideas. I'll give each one 3 to 5 days before I move on to the next.

On Saturday, I will be getting a colon hydrotherapy treatment.

I hope something works soon!
Hi Crystal,
IP stands for Ideal Protein. It is a diet I started on Monday.
DayDay615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #9  

Off today for my results. Not sure what to think. Part of me wants them to find something part of me is a little scared.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/182/140

Height: 5'4

I had my gallbladder removed about 8 months ago. Prior to getting it removed I had lost 50 lbs. In the last 8 months I have now gained 25 or so pounds of that back. This is the first I have heard about some people gaining after the surgury! My Dr told it me my weight gain didn't have anything to do with it. BUT I must it makes me feel a TON better to know people are experiencing the same thing! ( not that I wish it on anyone, but now I don't fee CRAZY)
Crystal Rose- good luck on the weight loss journey! Counting calories seems to be one of the only ways I see any reduction on the scale too. Hopefully this site helps!
I experienced a good amount of constipation as well. It sounds like you hav tried ALOT so this may be on the failed list...but Miralax worked for me. Its mild but worked. After 2 or 3 weeks ( I can't remember) I was able to start cutting down...then at just over a month my body was back on a more normal scheduel and I quit all together..been pretty good ever since.
As to everone else...GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEYS!!!
tona50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechick View Post
Off today for my results. Not sure what to think. Part of me wants them to find something part of me is a little scared.
littlechick, please get us posted on the results!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tona50 View Post
I experienced a good amount of constipation as well. It sounds like you hav tried ALOT so this may be on the failed list...but Miralax worked for me. Its mild but worked. After 2 or 3 weeks ( I can't remember) I was able to start cutting down...then at just over a month my body was back on a more normal scheduel and I quit all together..been pretty good ever since.
As to everone else...GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEYS!!!
Thanks much, tona50. I appreciate your feedback!

It is nice to meet other people on this site who have experienced the same thing.

I may give Miralax a try!

Good luck on your journey, as well, and have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

CrystalRose
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #13  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

Naturally spicy foods helps with constipation. I just learned this and tested the theory out myself because I was having some constipation issues. I had some peperoncinni's the other day. Cleared my issues right up!
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #14  

Thanks much, Princess Squish (love that name)! I sincerely appreciate the information!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #15  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

Thanks!
And you are welcome. I prefer to use natural resources so I was glad to hear that spicy foods helps. Well... that and I love spicy foods!
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote