Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #1  
It's My time to do this

Default Returning to try again.

I discovered this forum some time back,but didn't stick with reading and posting.

I'm desperately in need of support to lose over 60 lbs.

There are so many forums to chose from, I could use some guidance finding one to help me get the support I need (and to share mine support with others). I need to begin with baby steps, and that is the easy part.
For me, the hard part, is sticking with it.

I don't really feel like I can do this. No faith. But I do have a little will power. I have the kind of personality that needs a friend to do things with, but I don't have that person in my life.

I hope this forum can be the support I'm looking for, if I check in every single day.

Also, I'd love to get a weight tracker into my sig line. Can someone point me in the right direction to get one?

Thanks all.

OH, a little about me....
I'm 54 years old
I'm about 60 lbs overweight.
I'm 5'8" tall
I have a knee waiting for a knee replacement, making exercise difficult but not impossible. I have four herniated discs in my back, again, making exercise difficult, but not impossible. I can walk.
I do see Dr.'s regularly and have permission to walk, to work out on an elliptical, (I own a treadmill and have a dog I walk) and I can ride my bike, but not on hills....that's too hard on the knees.

I'm in constant pain. All day and all night. That contributes to depression.
I don't think of myself as a having debilitating depression...but my situation has depressing elements....moved to a new town and don't know anyone, pain all the time, husband travels a lot and not here to offer support, and not good at it when he is here, one HS daughter at home, and I run her around everywhere, I don't work outside the house, so I'm home all day with food all around me.....I've cleaned out the pantry and cleared out, but there's still always some junk food around for the other two in the house.....WAY TOO MUCH information.......Just trying to get it all OUT THERE.

So, again, I'm looking for guidance on finding a good forum in here to stick with, and looking for the weight tracker for my sig line.

THANKS!

Last edited by MyraTX; 03-26-2012 at 11:14 AM.
MyraTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2  
It's My time to do this

Well, I tried.

I see that MANY other's posted as being new today and they all got responses.

No response to me tells me that a) I'm not lovable or b) this group is not supportive as they say it is.

I guess I'll try to go elsewhere and find support there.

Goodbye
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am sorry that you did not get a response right away. Please, give this forum a chance, you will get a lot of information and support here.
I am a little younger than you but I have lost 60lbs so I am here to tell you IT CAN BE DONE. I also have a 68 year old mom who has lost over 70lbs. Does not matter your age just your determination.
DO you know what food plan your are going to follow? There is a ton of information about many different food plans on this site. Pick a plan that fits in your lifestyle and you can follow long term. I chose calorie counting because it is free and flexible. It allows me to eat almost anything I wanted as long as it fits within my calorie range for the day and there are ton of free apps out there to help you track your food.
Give up the sugary drinks and drink lots and lots of water.
Do what exercise you can without causing further pain. Walking is good and so is toning using some light hand weights.
I like to pop into the Introductions forum, Weightloss Support forum, and the 40something forums. Join us in the 40 somethings or pop into the 50somethins forum. You will be welcomed everywhere you post.
If you have a bad meal, a bad day, heck, a bad food week. Do NOT let this be a reason to throw in the towel. Get back on track at the next meal. You can do this!!!
Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

4 hours without answers and you are so impatient that you want to go away from one of the most supportive weight loss forum on the internet.

How can you be able to go through months of weight loss if you can't even wait a day for an answer ?
What will you do when you will hit a plateau during weeks ?
Drop everything like you just did ?

Last edited by Magalo; 03-26-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #5  
It's My time to do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
4 hours without answers and you are so impatient that you want to go away from one of the most supportive weight loss forum on the internet.

How can you be able to go through months of weight loss if you can't even wait a day for an answer ?
What will you do when you will hit a plateau during weeks ?
Drop everything like you just did ?
Really?
when I see that other's were all answered AFTER mine?
Mine left ignored....that's not impatience.

OH, and thanks for the great support.
Great question....how can I go through months of weight loss.....that's what I came here to get help with. But judgement...well, that's just not at all supportive.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #6  
It's My time to do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
I am sorry that you did not get a response right away. Please, give this forum a chance, you will get a lot of information and support here.
I am a little younger than you but I have lost 60lbs so I am here to tell you IT CAN BE DONE. I also have a 68 year old mom who has lost over 70lbs. Does not matter your age just your determination.
DO you know what food plan your are going to follow? There is a ton of information about many different food plans on this site. Pick a plan that fits in your lifestyle and you can follow long term. I chose calorie counting because it is free and flexible. It allows me to eat almost anything I wanted as long as it fits within my calorie range for the day and there are ton of free apps out there to help you track your food.
Give up the sugary drinks and drink lots and lots of water.
Do what exercise you can without causing further pain. Walking is good and so is toning using some light hand weights.
I like to pop into the Introductions forum, Weightloss Support forum, and the 40something forums. Join us in the 40 somethings or pop into the 50somethins forum. You will be welcomed everywhere you post.
If you have a bad meal, a bad day, heck, a bad food week. Do NOT let this be a reason to throw in the towel. Get back on track at the next meal. You can do this!!!
Best of luck to you!
THANK YOU for your very nice response. It is very appreciated

Last edited by MyraTX; 03-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyraTX View Post
Really?
when I see that other's were all answered AFTER mine?
That's just plain childish.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #8  
It's My time to do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
That's just plain childish.
And that's just plain UGLY.

Thanks for nothing.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Magalo - Please do not criticize the OP for wanting help sooner. I have been on this site for over a year and have made posts, even my goal post, that has received few or no responses and it does make a person feel left out.
This site is about SUPPORT not criticism.

MyraTX - please do not judge all forum members by some of the negative feed back received. Take some time and join in threads that have a friendly feel. As hard as it is to remember, this is a public site and all are welcome to participate. As they say, take what you need and leave the rest. Remember, you CAN do this!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Ditto, NEMom, well said! I haven't posted much here, being fairly new myself, but most of the posts I've read have been super supportive! Unfortunatley, there always has to be a few exceptions on a public forum. I just count my lucky stars that I don't live with them.

MyraTX, Welcome. I've been here less than 3 months and come here to get inspired. Seeing what so many have accomplished is SO encouraging. It CAN be done with determination.....that's what I keep telling myself. I would encourage you to look around the forums and just spend time reading different ones to see where you might like to be. As for the ticker, someone else could tell you better than I, but I think I read you have to be here for 20 days and post 20 comments before you can get one. I don't have one yet because I haven't posted 20 times yet.

As for your willpower, I believe dieting gets easier when you get into the pattern. And set mini goals so you can frequently feel success. Once you start seeing those pounds drop and hit those mini goals, you don't want to do/eat anything to mess it up. At least that's how I feel. Even though I've only done this for 3 months, it only took a month to get to the point where everyone around me can eat ice cream and brownies and lasagna and I don't care. No food is worth being overweight for, so it's been easy to resist so far. Instead of getting my own ice cream at Dairy Queen, I get them for my teens and take 1 bite of theirs. They eat 2 grilled cheese or a pizza, I eat one bite in addition to my healthy food. You just have to find what works for you. For me, a couple times a week I'll have "a bite" or two of dessert or fat food, and eat one or two meals out that are mostly healthy, but more than I'd eat at home. The rest of the time, I'm following a very low fat whole foods diet. Find what works for you, because if you try to do something impossible, you'll fail. And keep reading the forums for inspiration. So many people here have done AMAZING things.

Btw, when I originally posted, I think I only got about 2 replies so don't be discouraged by that. People get busy or have an off day, so just try again later and try not to take it personally. And if you find someone offensive or arrogant, there is a way here to block their posts so you don't have to read anything they post. Most everyone here seems really nice and supportive....with VERY few exceptions.

I hope you find what you're looking for here and good luck on your journey to a healthier and skinny you.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 226/197/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi, I appreciate the turmoil, the incredible need for support, and how vulnerable we can be when we are in the food. Im new today! Hope to see you around!!
llladynasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Welcome llladynasti!
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Welcome to the forums, Myra! I'm also pretty new myself (just joined a few days ago) and I can tell you that I've gotten so much help and motivation from everyone on here. I hope you change your perception of this forum soon because we're loaded with one of the best, if not the best group of supportive people around here. Losing weight can be a tough journey to go on alone, but being able to share it with people that knows what you're going through really helps!

Go look around and post wherever you want to! I lurk about every forum on here to get as much information as I can.

Good luck!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

I'm new around here too, and I have to say, the atmosphere around here is generally great. There are a lot of supportive people, it's busy (which is always good news for a forum), and so many people who have lost their weight stick around to offer their knowledge and support to new-comers. It's awesome.

Don't give up on this place yet; it's definitely the best forum for weight loss I've ever come across, and I've seen a few.

Good luck with everything.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to the forum, Myra. I'm new here too but it's a very friendly, helpful place with a wealth of info.

it's always hard when starting out, but give people a chance as they may not be around when you post or maybe lots of other threads got bumped over yours and it was missed. I understand how you feel, but be assured this really IS a helpful place.

As others have said, spend some time reading and get an idea of what path you'd like to follow. It DOES get easier as you get into it - the hardest part is starting.

Good luck!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote