Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #1  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

Smile Greetings!

Hi everyone! I stumbled across this site the other day and I decided to join up. I've had problems with my weight my whole life, and have lost quite a bit of weight a few times, but this time I'm going to make it to my goal doing it the right way. I hope I can give support to all of you and get some good advice in return! Let me know if I can answer any questions or anything. I'm open!
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Heathermichigan! I am so blown away by what you have already accomplished! What would you say has been the biggest change that you've made? Do you count calories? Intuitive eating? Whole foods diet? Weight Watchers? Low Carb? Sorry for the questions, but you did offer! Hahahaha!

Anyway, I do hope you love it here as much as I do and I hope you stick around because we could certainly use your wisdom!

luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #3  
Cool Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Heathermichigan! I am so blown away by what you have already accomplished! What would you say has been the biggest change that you've made? Do you count calories? Intuitive eating? Whole foods diet? Weight Watchers? Low Carb? Sorry for the questions, but you did offer! Hahahaha!

Anyway, I do hope you love it here as much as I do and I hope you stick around because we could certainly use your wisdom!

Hello! Thanks for the warm welcome. The biggest change has been everything. I have changed everything about the way I think about food and exercise. I exercise because it is the only way I will lose weight, and I exercise on the elliptical 6 days a week for 60 minutes a time because it is the only way I will lose weight quickly enough to stay motivated (about 2 pounds a week). I went to a nutritionist to get a meal plan, and follow it--1500 calories a day. I have PCOS, so I have major insulin resistance issues, so carb control is a big thing for me--learning what a serving of carbs is helped me so much. I only eat purely healthy, whole foods most of the time, and when I decide to eat something that isn't ideal, I eat a portion that fits into my meal plan and that's it. (Like 1 piece of pizza or 1/2 cup of ice cream--I try to only do that a couple times a week.) I eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours so I'm never hungry, and I make sure to eat plenty of veggies and fruit to fill up. I never feel deprived because I CAN eat whatever, I just choose to "spend" my carbs and fats on the things I REALLY REALLY like once in a great while, and mostly just healthy whole foods that make me feel good and give me the energy for my big workouts.

In the past, I've tried Weight Watchers, South Beach, Nutrisystem, calorie counting, very low calorie diets, excessive exercise (3x a day), etc. Nothing ever worked for me like what I'm doing now. I also have wonderful support from my primary care doctor (who actually almost cried at my last appointment because I've been doing so well and she's proud). She is wonderful.

To be honest, I don't really know how this change came about. I guess I decided that I didn't want to be big anymore. I want to like shopping again and I want to go out and be active without getting tired. I want to feel confident in myself and not feel like I stick out as The Heavy Girl at the party or in the airplane or on the beach.

Any more questions?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #4  
Cool Chick

Booo! I just saw that I can't get one of those super cute tickers at the bottom of my signature until I've been here for like 20 days. I'm so bummed!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

Sounds like you're doing well, and that you were able to create a plan that fits your life and is good for you! Congrats!

We all might be following slightly different plans, but we're all aiming to get healthier and shed a few pounds, so you'll definitely find a lot of support and encouragement around. We all know we can do it. We all know every member can do it.

So, keep at it, look around and post wherever you're comfortable!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Heather! I know, I too am disappointed that I can't use my ticker for another 17 days
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #7  
Debbie

S/C/G: 317/see ticker/185

Height: 5 10

Welcome to 3fc Heather. You are such an inspiration already!! Keep up the good work.
SeeImTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #8  
Cool Chick

Thanks, Lovely, Awaitingchange, and SeeI'mtrying. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #9  
Michelle

S/C/G: 308.8/ticker/155

Welcome, Heather! I'm also impressed by the way you are kicking PCOS's butt. I'm new to the boards too. I liked it when people welcomed me. So I am welcoming people.
BudgetBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #10  
Cool Chick

Thanks, BudgetBaby. I think the trick for kicking PCOS butt is the exercise combined with the controlled (whole grain/fruit) carbs. Nothing worked for me until I did both religiously!

Are you dealing with the PCOS monster too?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #11  
Michelle

S/C/G: 308.8/ticker/155

No, I don't have PCOS. A very good friend of mine does. It took her forever to get a diagnosis. She was never very fit and always hated exercise. But she was thin. Just wasn't an overeater.

Well, in about one year, she gained fifty pounds. A little 120 pound woman putting on 50 pounds in a year, doing nothing different than she'd done all her grown life.

Her primary physician didn't believe her. Gave her the speech about, you're in your thirties now, you need to exercise, eat less, etc, etc. It wasn't wrong advice exactly, but it was completely dismissive of the problems she was having and not at all helpful from a medical point of view.

Fortunately, she is persistent and got to an endocrinologist who has helped her with meds for insulin resistence and some other deficiencies she has. About twenty pounds melted off as fast as it had come on. The other thirty, she's still carrying, and probably always will because she's not interested in exercise or dieting. She feels a lot better though.
BudgetBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, Heathermichigan! Thanks for that! I can't believe you did 60 min. on the elliptical 6 days a week! I actually used to do that when I was younger, but just don't have that much energy anymore. Now, I do about 30 minutes of cardio at the gym 6 days a week, but I do walk my dog and stay active 7 days a week. I think that must count for something! However, your post has actually inspired me to up my cardio. I've been stuck at 164 +/- 2 lbs. for a long time now so I need to step it up. Today, I actually jogged a mile at 5.5 which is really good for tired old me!

Glad you joined us and I"ll see u around.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #13  
Cool Chick

Budgetbaby: I'm glad she was diagnosed and got help. My dream is for girls to be diagnosed in their teens so that they have a real chance of beating this early. :P My late teens and college years would have been much different.

Luckymommy: Thanks! I actually hate it most of the time and sometimes yell how much I hate it to my cats. But yes, it definitely helps! Good luck! You can do it!!