Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Default Hello from Toronto!

Hello all,

Ok so I have had a wake-up call. I am 37 years old and have been overweight (actually and just told) my entire life. I do not know what it feels like to be slender and to eat mostly healthy as part of a lifestyle. I have been married to my DH for 13 years (together for 15) and have an awesome 3 year old boy and a daughter who should be 5 (she died at birth)

In March I was feeling really cruddy and I knew that my blood sugars where high and that my liver was not happy. After going for a full work-up on blood work and ultrasound (I hadn't had blood work done for 3 years) My results came back that I am "borderline diabetic" high HDL, low LDL and high Cholesterol and although my liver is functioning ok it is fatty.

I have been in this situation before when I was diagnosed with PCOS in 12 years ago and at that time my main focus was getting pregnant. Anyway I was not ready to change my life style completely and did some stuff kicking and screaming. I went into denial until the beginning of 2005 when I knew I needed to overhaul my life. I started eating healthy and eating breakfast every day and exercising, lost about 25 lbs and ended up getting pregnant. After I had my daughter and lost her in 2006 my PCOS was chemically gone and I was dedicated to my health again. I trained and ran a 5km run in the charity run my daughter was the honouree for while 9 weeks pregnant with my son. I was healthy throughout my pregnancy but still gained some weight. Well after having my son I just put my health on the back burner and developed depression again. For 3 years I ate pretty much whatever crappy food I wanted a nd sometimes eating multiple desserts a day. I had wicked sugar cravings and low energy. I stopped exercising and ended up getting up to about 260 at my highest weight.

I was afraid to go to the dr.s because I was worried about what I had done to my body. However I am glad I did. Seeing my blood results and knowing that I am in the edge of disease was a huge wake-up call. I know that I have the power to affect my health. I want to be alive and healthy for my son. I don't want him to worry about his mother having diabetes like I do about my mom. I don't want him to have weight/health issues when he is an adult like his father and I do. My DH is 320 lbs and healthy but I am worried it is just a matter of time.

Anyway if you have read this far, thank you

I am currently seeing a spiritual nutritionist and right now following "A smart women's guide to weight loss" by Lorna Vaderhaeghe. It is a lower card plan with the first 3 days being quite low carb. It is also all about healthy foods, no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners, etc. I am also taking supplements that are supposed to help aid with balancing my hormones. I am trying to exercise daily and some days I do great and some not so great, I find it challenging trying to find my own time to workout now that I have a 3 year old.

Ok that is enough for this post. Sorry so long. Thanks for the support!
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #2  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! This is a great place for support and encouragement (and answers to questions you can't ask IRL).
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Welcome! Slow and steady but I think your improved food habits will show positive results with your bloodwork. Find some groups here and settle in!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/188/150

Height: 5'5

Welcome ButterflyMama! Good luck on your journey You look like you've already gotten off on the right foot! :hugs:
suenos096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/213/180

Height: 6'1.5

Yay! Another Torontonian! I just joined and love it so far!
LongTallBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

Welcome my dear! I know how you feel about finding out your borderline diabetic. I was told that as well and here i am a year later FINALLY deciding its time to get my butt in gear. I havent been here super long myself and ive recently (monday) started my diet but ive found that the people here are so helpful and full of advice! BTW do you still have the high cholesterol? if you do, and dont like the fish oil pills try the krill oil pills! much smaller and easier to get down and does the same as fish oil! and as for depression (which i know all to well) st. johns wort is an excellent herbal mood enhancer you take 2 or 3 times a day depends on the brand
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7  

Hello and welcome! I'm new here as well.

Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm happy you're sticking to it. If you need someone to talk to about things, let me know! It's always nice to go through stuff like this with other people. Good luck!!
SammyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful tips. chase1984 I will look into the krill oil pills!
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #9  

Height: 67.7

Hi and welcome!

Good luck with your weight loss efforts, sounds like you are in the right state of mind.
Suzie Parker is offline   Reply With Quote