Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #1  
fifty pounds lighter

S/C/G: 251/192/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Want to lose 150 lbs

I can't believe I'm typing this. Even with the anonymity of the internet, it's still really uncomfortable to disclose the fact that I weighed 251 lbs last month and I'm only 5'1. I decided (not for the first time) that I need to change my life and I'm never going to get this time back. At the end of 2006, I weighed 130 lbs and gained over 120 lbs in less than 4 years.

I feel awful about myself and I'm tired of it. I'm terrified that I'll run into somebody who knew me before my weight gain and they either won't recognize me or they'll be shocked. I usually wait until 3:00 A.M. even to do things like grocery shopping so I don't have to talk to people or risk seeing anyone I know. I've had a cashier do a double take at my drivers license photo because I look so different.

I'm 25 years old and have no excuses to not be in excellent shape so it's time to get started. I recognize that not everybody should have the same diet or exercise program, but this is what feels right for me. I haven't been exercising but I'd like to start going for more walks and working out at home. So far I lost 21 lbs in the last 30 days. I eat vegetables, fruit, eggs, poultry, drink lots of water and cut out the following things from my diet:

1. All grains, such as corn, rice, oats and any type of flour, bread or cereal.
2. Refined sugar, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
3. Dairy products such as milk, cream, butter, cheese and yogurt.
4. Salt.
5. Soda, flavored water and sports drinks.
6. Coffee.
7. Legumes such as beans, peas, lentils, peanuts and soy.
8. Starchy roots such as potatoes and yams.
9. All types of cooking oils, shortening and margarine.
10. Juice.

While I still have a long way to go, I'm already starting to feel better. Thanks everybody for the inspiration!
b e t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to 3FC! This is a great place for support and understanding! And congratulations on that first 21 pounds!!!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/165

Height: 5' 6"

Good luck with everything! I two wait until ungodly hours to do my shopping so I am not seen.
RobertsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh honey, I know exactly how it is to hide from people because you don't want them to see how much weight you've gained. I've ducked-down many a grocery store aisle, waiting for a person who knew me to check out and leave the store before venturing out into the aisle again. It's just horrible.

But you are doing so great so far. Congratulations! And if you want a good piece of advice......stay here! So many introduce themselves and disappear. This place is just wonderful in terms of helping and making you accountable. There is just something about making yourself stay here and post that seems to almost work magic when attempting to lose weight.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Yes, stay here. It's a good place for support.

The Mayo clinic has a good book out about losing weight in a health way. You can find it on their web site.

I don't think it's smart to remove all cooking oils. Use olive oil or canola in small amounts.

Congratulations and good luck!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Welcome to 3FC and good luck to you!
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Welcome and good luck
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome...glad you are here.

I hope you don't really think you need to lose 150 pounds, though. That would put you near underweight...Why don't you start out with something that seems a little more realistic. Like the weight you were before you started gaining? 130 is in a normal BMI for your height.

Also you seem to be giving up some nutritionally POWERFUL foods. Why in the world would you give up oats, beans, all Oil's, yams & soy? These are some of the healthiest foods known to man. And COFFEE? Who can live without it???

I wish you well, and hope you can get healthy, but please don't make yourself ill trying to get healthy.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-27-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #10  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

Hi there! Just wanted to say I agree with Lori about the health benefits (and fill-you-up benefits) of beans and oats! I understand you've got a plan and it seems to be working well, but don't be afraid of modification so that you can stick to it long term. I know you've definitely got it in you to be successful!!

Best wishes.
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #11  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

I just want to say I totally agree with lori bell when I read your cut out list of groceries. Anyways, you've been doing great and congratulation on your weight loss so far and i'm sure you can do it Best wishes.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

I'm new here too but I wanted to say welcome! I too gained a lot over a short period of time (70 lbs in 3 years) after meeting my husband. I was way bigger at my wedding than most of my guests had ever seen me.

Congrats on the first 21 lbs! Your diet seems pretty strict. Just remember its a lifestyle change not a quick fix.

Good luck and I hope you find the support you need here!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #13  

Hello and welcome to 3FC. Congratulations on your accomplishments and success. Good luck to you in your journey and in reaching all your goals.
Magnolia Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #14  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #15  
fifty pounds lighter

S/C/G: 251/192/110

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everybody for welcoming me.

I figured a lot of people would think my diet is kind of strange, but I couldn't be happier with it so far and plan to stick with it forever. If I never eat another scoop of ice cream or slice of bread again, I'll be totally okay with that. Again, I know it's not for everyone, but I haven't had any "treat" cravings since I started because I eat foods that I love and make me feel energized at every meal. It's like a weight has been lifted from my brain, too. When I eat grains and legumes I feel so bogged down and sluggish and now that I don't, I feel better. Maybe I'm allergic or something.

I've been reading a lot about human life before the agricultural revolution and there were very few people who ate any of the things I've removed from my diet, so I don't foresee having any physical issues or nutritional deficiencies. There are probably several others here who are on the paleo diet, which is similar to what I'm doing. Above everything, even my own determination and insecurities, I value the scientific method so don't worry about me, new friends. If this doesn't work out, I'll state a new hypothesis.

@Lori Bell: 100 lbs as a goal weight is just an estimate and it all depends on how I feel when I get closer to it. I am aware that I don't technically need to lose that much, but my goal is to become as fit as I can. I'm really short, so when I weighed 130 I was still notably chubby. I had lots of extra fat, especially my butt, thighs, and arms. Oh, and my breasts were too big to be able to run comfortably. At that time, I estimated that I had about 20-30 lbs of cumbersome body fat that I could stand to lose, but I wasn't obsessing about it because I looked socially acceptable. Well, maybe not in shorts...

Last edited by b e t h; 08-28-2010 at 05:26 AM.
b e t h is offline   Reply With Quote