Ideal Protein Chat - Fall 2019 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #1  
IP: 2/28/12-9/1/12

S/C/G: 200/155/145

Height: 5'5"/45yo

Default Ideal Protein Chat - Fall 2019

Just a new chat thread for all you IPers out there.

Here's last season's chat thread:
https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ide...er-2019-a.html
Old 10-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I am gearing up to do round 2 of IP in a couple of weeks (totally selfishly I want to get through my birthday on the 14th and then start full on!). I did IP and it worked really well for me in 2013 and then we got pregnant (more than a little surprised!). Since nothing I'm doing on my own is working, I want to get back to the accountability that IP gives. I've been searching these forums and WOW found some great recipes! I like the soups, and some of the puree recipes sound awesome!
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Hey, all!
Iím back at it for Round 3. Round 1 was about 75 lbs in 2011/2012 and round 2 in 2014 was for a reset of about 10 lbs took me 5 lbs below the first time. Now, going for 33 lbs overall. Iím on Day 19 of Phase 1 and down about 7.5 lbs.

The food has changed A LOT. It took about the first week or two just to get used to the artificial sweetener and some of the new savory things were just too salty. We rarely/never use oil and salt, so adding those two things were a big change, too. Trying to do this lacto-ova vegetarian (or however you say milk and eggs) and not vegan.

My coach is part of my doctorís office and is real cool about letting me just buy product. Iím basically weighing at home and looking in the mirror for the inches indication as well as how my clothes fit. I am doing this so that I focus on other things rather than the weekly victory/disappointment in the office. Iím trying to use the info and the pattern of P1 to see if I can apply to P4.

I am using the Ideal Smart app. I used My Fitness Pal for quite some time, but that, too, has changed. The shortcoming the app is that it only shows the calories of an item added individually, then graphically adds the overall day. Havenít figure out how to see the macros individuallyósomething I would want for P4 but not necessarily for P1.

I do plan to go actually sit down and talk to my coach next week to especially ask about changes to P1 and see if she knows why those changes were made and let her know about the vegetarian protein things I am trying this past week (beyond eggs and tofu and wither 2 packets or a combo of 1 packet and 1/2 portion tofu or eggs). She did indicate that there would be some new products slowly introduced, likely with Stevia which she said they had a hard time getting FDA approval for (and yet, my downfall products (or is that upscale products?) definitely had that ingredient. She also said the new CEO (a former WW person, from what I have read) would be making changes.

IP works, and clearly, again-and-again, for some of us, but...it is still a business and does still need to make profit. Iím not dissing the program with these questions.

Why do you think the ďnewĒ products, the ones that flirt with the edge of being restricted, are higher in calories and carbs? Was it because IP was under feeding (too low in calories) or to keep the average person more able to stay on Protocol? And if it slows weight loss for some, isnít that beneficial to IP? There are A LOT of competing products to the IP ones and I did notice that the macros are definitely different now, even if it is 10 or 20 calories and a bit lower protein in the competitors. Itís also interesting that they would use the same Protocol for everyone under 200 pounds. Maybe that is something a coach would tweak, which is why I would sit down with her. (Diet Center use to do a body fat measurement about once a month, I think and then tweak the protein/carb/fat portions accordingly. Yet, Iím not going back to them again and again, am I?)

Why are the sweet products so sweet? I went so far as to look up the amount of sucrolose in some of them, so I could get an idea of how much I might be having in a day with 3 sweet choices. This would be for reasons more along the lines of all the stuff Iíve seen around limiting the ďextrasĒ to 4 a day. I remember when I hit Phase 3 the first time, how good the real food tasted, and that I didnít crave artificial sweetener for sure. Yet, I hate Phase 2 because I donít like having so much protein at BOTH lunch and dinner and not having dessert. Something I plan to figure out over the next few weeks.

Iíll turn this post back around to ďyouĒ.

How are you approaching Phase 1 this time? Just get thru it or learn something?
How do you see (perceive, not necessarily the math of them) your losses this time? Better, the same, harder?
What have you noticed about the products? (They contain more different protein sources, like pea protein.)

Thatís plenty for now!

Last edited by infoplease; 10-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/161.8/135

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Hi all,
I did IP back in 2011 and 2012 with success. I did well on it and the second time I did use the alternative products due to cost. Is it possible someone could post the latest protocol for the various phases? (if that's allowed) I will start with using alternative prooducts.

Thanks,
Blueskies2
Old 10-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/200

Hi all, I'm on day 10 of the program for the first time. I'm down 15 pounds and am very happy with that. I've been able to follow the diet without any slips so far. I am a bit worried about traveling, the holidays etc. but trying to stay really focused on my overall goal which is 150 pounds. I know this is a marathon, not a sprint and it is about making life changes. With just the 15 pounds off I am seeing a difference in my energy level, how far I can walk without getting out of breath and my ankles are starting to look like ankles again!!
Old 10-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies2 View Post
Hi all,
I did IP back in 2011 and 2012 with success. I did well on it and the second time I did use the alternative products due to cost. Is it possible someone could post the latest protocol for the various phases? (if that's allowed) I will start with using alternative prooducts.

Thanks,
Blueskies2
Iíll try to PM you the sheet I have which is from 2017 but I did get it 3 weeks ago. Iím not sure on the posting rules of it.

Honestly, the biggest (and itís not big) change is that they now require 2 tsp of oil rather than 1 to 2.
Eggs is currently defined as 6 per serving, with 2-4 whole and the remainder egg whites.
Rutabaga is now an occasional vegetable.
There is now something called Unlimited Raw Vegetables/Lettuce which you can have as much as you want as long as they a raw.
Dinner Protein still at 8 oz measured BEFORE cooking.
Vegetables at 2 cups per meal measured BEFORE cooking.

I understand that Phase 4 has a bit more direction to it now, but I am not there yet.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieLaRue View Post
Hi all, I'm on day 10 of the program for the first time. I'm down 15 pounds and am very happy with that. I've been able to follow the diet without any slips so far. I am a bit worried about traveling, the holidays etc. but trying to stay really focused on my overall goal which is 150 pounds. I know this is a marathon, not a sprint and it is about making life changes. With just the 15 pounds off I am seeing a difference in my energy level, how far I can walk without getting out of breath and my ankles are starting to look like ankles again!!
Donít worry about traveling, PLAN! ; )
First, you can take sealed packets in your carry-on bag (if you are flying), and both packets and liquid in a checked bag.
If you are in a new city, and run out of something or forget, most clinics understand and will sell you a box or several at the cost at that clinic (sometimes varies around the country), just call.

Other posters and especially search the threads, have ďrecipesĒ to make packets into muffins so you would have some unrestricted items that you can grab. Youíll also see lotís of tips for the holidays from eating before, bringing what YOU can eat (a giant salad of unlimited vegetables with dressing(s) on the side for example). Do you get the IdealSmart videos? One tip there and elsewhere is to make club soda with a slice of lime your signature drink, so it looks like you are drinking just like everyone else and you have something in your hand (so you arenít reaching for something else).

When we road trip, we plan our stops for WalMart. Bathrooms are cleaned and...bagged salad! (Stay away from the other aisles ; )

Keep a fork, knife and spoon tucked in your purse or the glove box so you have them if you need them.

Donít let yourself get so hungry that you canít stand it anymore. Keep a couple of IP snacks in your purse or pocket so you can use them to tide you over. You can also have two IP non-restricted for your dinner protein if you have to.

You are off to a GREAT START!

Are there any specific things you think could create a problem in the next couple of months?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #8  

Congrats Pinkie! You're right, it is a journey we are on. It's wise you have started this way before the holidays so you have plenty of time to work out how you'll manage that time. It is totally doable!!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #9  
IP: 2/28/12-9/1/12

S/C/G: 200/155/145

Height: 5'5"/45yo

Morning fellow IPers! I fee like I am ready to Phase off soon - I am technically still 7lb from goal, but I really want to get back to running, and my last round - I continued to lose after full Phase 4 because of my workout regimen and new eating. The weather is so nice out here now and I want to hit the trails! We'll see how I do in 2 more weeks - I fit into my size 4 "skinny jeans" and size small Ann Taylor top this morning!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #10  

Hey, LizRR, I think phasing off even before ďthe numberĒ is a good plan, especially doing it for the exercise motivation, and because your clothes fit. If you start Phase 2 and change your mind you can always go back to Phase 1 (I did that the first time). I recall adding another packet before workouts and having the breakfast packet immediately after at the end of Phase 1 plus having salt with me for during, but I never did any running training either. Congrats on nearing your goal. Hope you will post about how it works out.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #11  

LizRR,
Congrats on getting to the end line! (just about). Thanks for keeping the IP discussion going. Years ago there was so much activity, it has droppd off it seems. Any idea why?

Blueskies2
Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #12  

I suspect the boards arenít as active because of FaceBook. In 2011/2012/2013, FaceBook was less robust when it came to creating a group and creating a private group. While you can search within a FaceBook group and pin things and keep files, I think the threads on 3FC are more useful. Plus, women-in-a-certain-demographic-that-might-also-need-Ideal-Protein, must be far more comfortable with Facebook. Itís a fairly active, closed page and the moderator will approve you right away (Ideal Protein Supporters Phase1Group). It is more active than Ideal Proteinís own site. Of course, it isnít exactly anonymous, which is also what I prefer with 3FC. It would be interesting to have something interactive on the Ideal Smart app, but I could see where they could quickly become problematic as they likely wouldnít want it to take the place of a coach, be a spot for price comparisons or re-selling product, etc.

I basically use Facebook to keep track of groups and rarely post there. That said, by joining the group in January (and taking until September to restart...), it put a constant reminder in my feed as to what I needed to do.

What types of things did you like reading and sharing on 3FC before?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/200

Thank you for the tips!
Old 10-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 252/231/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi all...

I will be joining you starting tomorrow, 10/12. Had good success in the past but fell off after my husband passed away a few years ago. I did move forward, moved 1/2 way across the country and remarried. But I really need to get my act together and glad you are all here!! I too remember when this place was SO busy. But I know I need to keep posting too!! 🙂
Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #15  

I loved seeing the clever ways people used IP packages to make tastier meals than just following the package directions and knowing the results were still OP.
Closed Thread