Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default Advice-starting IP for 2nd time

Hello,

I have recently started the IP diet for the second time. In an effort to save money, I have been using the Premier Protein Shakes and Protein bars from the grocery store. This doesn't seem to be working anywhere near as rapidly or as effectively as the first time. Is there something in the Ideal Protein products that is essential for this diet?

The other thing I am doing differently- The first time I did it I did not cheat at all for 2 and a half months straight. After a while, I would have some "cheat days" on the weekends in order to avoid having to be so anti social!I kept losing a lot of weight while doing this. Although it might have been a little less than not cheating at all, I was still losing a good amount of weight each week. Since starting this, we have been unusually busy and I have been cheating on the weekend at family and social events. Could it be that sticking to this 100% for the first couple months is essential to really "get things going" and for ketosis purposes? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Janey1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #2  

Hi, Nothing magic in the IP products. Make sure you're matching the macros in your Alt products & stay 100% on protocol. It will work fine. Be patient. Goid luck!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

If you are cheating every weekend, you are probably not getting into ketosis, which of course is a key element of this protocol.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #4  

Thanks for your help ladies. You are right I need to stick to it 100% and be patient.

I think what is frustrating me the most is that even when I do stick to it and don't have a cheat day, I am losing SO much slower. I was taking an antidepressant which after a few months was causing weight gain so I stopped taking it. I know it sounds weird but it truly "feels" like there is something going on with my metabolism and it just hasn't quite come back yet. I wonder if this is also having some effect on things (in combination with the things I need to change mentioned above of course!). I have heard many horror stories about antidepressesnts but now having experienced the weight gain that comes with it, is just awful and makes you feel kinda "powerless". If my metabolism is still out of whack, I wish there was some way to know how long this will last. Anyone have any experience with this by chance?
Old 03-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #5  

It takes a while for your body to get in the fat burning mode. They say 4 weeks to fully ramp up those fat- burning enzymes. That's why it matters so much to stay on protocol, esp with carbs. I'm rebooting a 25 lb wt creep over 2 yrs. It seems slow now, but it slowed for the last 15 lbs on my first time.i

I don't hsve experience w anti-depressant meds. Some lucky people find they lose wt with them. I have winter depression & cannot do a low carb diet until mid Feb.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Hi Janey- I totally get what you mean by it "feels" like your metabolism is off or fighting you. I too have had that feeling for the past couple of months. I dont know what to do about it, but you are not alone. The only time I feel differently is when I am in the gym. I dont know if it is a broken mind/body connection or my cells rebelling from weight gain and messing with me. Winter depression for me maybe...
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Janey - have you had your thyroid levels tested? Issues with depression, energy levels, and metabolism are all signs of low thyroid.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5"8"

I am starting again for the second time - I do think you need to stick to the plan. My sister in law was told at her clinic that the weight loss could be slower the second time around and to try to stay away from restricted foods at first as they could hinder weight loss.
dk8258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #9  

Thanks Hysteria for bringing up hypothyroidism, I have a Doctors appointment soon and I am going to ask to get checked. I don't know why I didn't even think of that especially since my Mom has it and it can be hereditary. When you put everything together it makes so much sense as a strong possibility.

Sorry for my delayed response, we went out of town and I have been swamped at work ever since I came back. Thanks ladies for all of your input!

Last edited by Janey1502; 04-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.