Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Kathie, you started a great discussion and I hope to see this theme follow back into other discussions. IP is a tuff program, there have been many over weight people who have asked about my weight loss and what program I'm doing. When I say a few words about how restrictive it is it they don't ask much more. Regardless I agree that being overweight is more restrictive.
I support that this sight needs to stay committed to providing accurate information, support, accountability, and applause because for me it has helped me stay on track since September and I hope for many years in maintenance when I get there.
Thanks jenny and best wishes! Your support is appreciated...seeing this site drift so far from where it was a year and a half ago has been difficult. I am out spoken, but hesitated a bit to do this...and am amazed at the response. The positive reaction has been reinforcement the need for a strong group committed to getting it right and sharing the journey is really what is wanted the most.

In the work place ...( I'm retired now...) we used to call it "best practices" ....and successful companies shared those best practices with each other. I say it's time we get about the business of helping each other succeed on this plan again. And even for those in maintenance...the support here is invaluable.

It's easy to become a lifetime member...the only requirement is intention to help others stick it out and find their success and good health. It is amazing what the right support will do.

I'm exhausted! Good night all.....

Last edited by 65X65; 04-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #32  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

So the other day at a meeting I was sitting next to a girl doing IP and as I was drinking my shake she asked me about how long I had been on and how much weight I lost, did I think it was too hard, was I hungry all the time, etc. Well I told her all my answers and that sometimes I have a hard time eating all the food, that I think 8oz of meat and 4 cups of veggies is a lot some days. Well during this conversation we discovered that I've been on plan a little longer than her and lost quite a bit more weight. She says she's always hungry and she doesn't think the diet is working. Well come to find out she is cutting her veggies in half "No way can I eat 4 cups of veggies a day" she tells me, then she says "I also cut the meat amount in half, I figure less calories has to be better" I cringed... I've been lucky enough to not be a fad dieter but I could tell she was and that she didn't actually understand how IP worked and how the body worked. She's essentially using IP products and starving her body.. she wouldn't listen as I tried to give advice. She almost seemed to be mad that I tried to tell her she needed to follow the plan for it to work. I wonder if she has a coach and if they know what she's doing! That's bad IP publicity and as far as I'm concerned it's cheating not in the traditional sense of a diet but it's intentionally not following protocol!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

One point I continually try to address is when people post either misinformation (almost always unintentional), comments with their personal interpretation of IP stated as if it is IP protocol, or post variations in menus/packets/serving sizes etc that are not aligned with IP.

I feel that people who are new to this board and especially those new to IP may not even realize that statement is a variation from IP. They are potentially then going to incorporate it into their own IP program thinking it is part of the protocol. Stating what IS IP and what is a variation from IP as a follow-up response to a post (with out judgement but simply stated as information) is very important. As we all know, many people come here without coaches or with poor coaches who themselves are passing along poor information to their paying clients. Giving them clear information is quite valuable.

Anyone is free to follow IP as they choose, with any percent of dedication they want, and with any personal changes they want to make, but I do think everyone at least deserves to make those choices armed with all the correct information available as to what is IP and what is not.

... Warrior on one and all!!

Last edited by JLUS; 04-12-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Laurie, I absolutely agree with your comment.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #35  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
One point I continually try to address is when people post either misinformation (almost always unintentional), comments with their personal interpretation of IP stated as if it is IP protocol, or post variations in menus/packets/serving sizes etc that are not aligned with IP.

I feel that people who are new to this board and especially those new to IP may not even realize that statement is a variation from IP. They are potentially then going to incorporate it into their own IP program thinking it is part of the protocol. Stating what IS IP and what is a variation from IP as a follow-up response to a post (with out judgement but simply stated as information) is very important. As we all know, many people come here without coaches or with poor coaches who themselves are passing along poor information to their paying clients. Giving them clear information is quite valuable.

Anyone is free to follow IP as they choose, with any percent of dedication they want, and with any personal changes they want to make, but I do think everyone at least deserves to make those choices armed with all the correct information available as to what is IP and what is not.

... Warrior on one and all!!
Exactly Laurie! It's not just the particular poster you're giving information to, it's everyone who is reading. Like you said, everyone is free to do what they want but they should do so armed with correct information.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #36  

Height: 5'4"

I don't mind posters sharing their trigger foods or strict interpretation of the plan that's working for them but when they start critiquing the carb count of ideal protein approved veggies and saying some ideal protein brand foods are not in the protocal-that to me is misinformation. I don't personnally eat shellfish but I would never say it wasn't part of the protocal. Its just a personal preference and should be stated as such
And the impression to me as a newbie is this forum is just a mutual admiration society
There is a lot of good here and I think everyone comes with good intention but expecting to please all posters all the time is unrealistic-i was bothered that some posts were deleted last weekend and hope everyone feels comfortable enough to share their journey without personal attacks. And I make mistakes and appreciate when I am corrected because I would not want to lead anyone astray. The person with a c still passes the class-and the a students cant understand why they didn't go for the -a
ok my rambling is done-i love ideal protein and I am glad I found this forum and even if I don't agree with each post-i am proud to be part of this great diverse community of dieter's! And I hope everyone continues to share their wisdom with the masses.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #37  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Thanks, as always, for the wise comments 65. I have been finding myself on the boards less and less and missed it...but couldn't put my finger on why. You captured it. I chose IP after a good bit of time researching and reading...and at a point in my life where I was ready to commit. For me, the strict parts (that work) were what I was seeking. Having you folks around to help me understand that it works, and that it means hard choices, but that it's all worth it...was invaluable.
I truly understand that weight loss is personal and each person has to do it in away that works for them. But, I also could not agree more that having a space where we can live and learn the real rules is important. There were times I had to walk away from the boards because I didn't want to start believing that it was ok to only follow the plan sort of. I just didn't need help falling down that slippery slope.
The 100 percent thread has been a wonderful resource. And while I've wanted to be more active in other spaces, for me, I needed the reinforcement of the plan the way it was written.
Thank you so much for sharing this perspective. I was happy to see it today because I had dinner with a good friend last night who proceeded to tell me all the things that were 'wrong' with how I chose to lose weight. And why didn't I try something sensible but more moderate. I love her - we're both opinionated - but I had to politely (and repeatedly) say that this was my personal choice and it worked for me and that I couldn't be happier or healthier. (Sadly she also then critiqued everything I ate. Oy vey!)
Hope you all have a great weekend.

PS Ruth Ann and Laurie: exactly!

Last edited by vachinyc; 04-13-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
Thanks, as always, for the wise comments 65. I have been finding myself on the boards less and less and missed it...but couldn't put my finger on why. You captured it. I chose IP after a good bit of time researching and reading...and at a point in my life where I was ready to commit. For me, the strict parts (that work) were what I was seeking. Having you folks around to help me understand that it works, and that it means hard choices, but that it's all worth it...was invaluable.
I truly understand that weight loss is personal and each person has to do it in away that works for them. But, I also could not agree more that having a space where we can live and learn the real rules is important. There were times I had to walk away from the boards because I didn't want to start believing that it was ok to only follow the plan sort of. I just didn't need help falling down that slippery slope.
The 100 percent thread has been a wonderful resource. And while I've wanted to be more active in other spaces, for me, I needed the reinforcement of the plan the way it was written.
Thank you so much for sharing this perspective. I was happy to see it today because I had dinner with a good friend last night who proceeded to tell me all the things that were 'wrong' with how I chose to lose weight. And why didn't I try something sensible but more moderate. I love her - we're both opinionated - but I had to politely (and repeatedly) say that this was my personal choice and it worked for me and that I couldn't be happier or healthier. (Sadly she also then critiqued everything I ate. Oy vey!)
Hope you all have a great weekend.

PS Ruth Ann and Laurie: exactly!
THANK-YOU...What a relief to find out I was not alone. My own journey is semi-over. At least for the losing part...LOL...My words on this actually are..."Its NEVER really over..."

... and I got so much from the past nature of the site, it is good to know others want and do need that kind of support to get to the finish line. Again..doesn't mean those who don't want or need that are wrong..just those folks can quite easily get what it is they are seeking, with out disrupting the bricks and mortar of the protocol for readers who are trying to get traction. When the answer to a post that is giving accurate IP info is disputed and starts a discussion that is antagonistic, it indicates the real purpose of the community has either changed...or been lost.The IP forum, as is the diet... very unique, and meets a specific need for it's followers. That had disintegrated. The last 18 hrs I am loving reading the NSVs again and chatty posts about living with/on IP...and the feel good vibes from everyone who feels satisfaction they got through another day or meal on plan.

Step by step....it's a victory walk!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #39  

Height: 5 '6

I finally got around to reading this thread and agree that I am on here to get support and accurate information. 3FC's has been a great community for me. Of course its the same as any community... there are those who don't take IP as seriously as others... sometimes I read a post and think some people just don't get it!! I love the 100% thread because people there have the same outlook as me on how IP should be followed.

That being said, I also come here for support... it was hard to come on 3FC's and admit my failings but sometimes we just need a cheering squad to encourage us to get back on the horse. I need to feel that I can come here for that help and not be looked down upon because I stumbled. I'm human and might mess up but I count on this forum to help me keep going.

Thanks for the encouragement over the past few months...

Last edited by Hiker88; 04-13-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I just posted before and after pictures. If IP is the "wrong" way to lose then why the heck do I look so much healthier after?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I just posted before and after pictures. If IP is the "wrong" way to lose then why the heck do I look so much healthier after?
You DOOO look great...and I love the hair!!! Great style for summer...!!

Interesting your dx on the hip...Small world. When my granddaughter was diagnosed we had no idea...then when we learned what can happen if it is untreated...we were able to connect the dots and figured out what was going on with my sister since it is genetic.

You sound like you are on the way to a wonderful life after this gets taken care of. Keep us posted. I believe there are a lot of us here that may be sharing that journey, and you can offer support, guidance and encouragement on how worthwhile it to see this through, including the weight loss. It makes the rehab so much easier.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

I have hesitated to weigh in here, because it seems as though this tension arises every month. I find this struggle for the vision of the IP support forum, awkward and uncomfortable.

I agree with Laurie, that accurate information is necessary because people are depending on the site for guidance. I understand Vachinyc's desire to find people following the protocol in a similar way. I also empathize with those who struggle with the strictness of the IP protocol and need support to make good choices.

In my view, that is why there are different threads. I frequent a lot of them to keep my focus. I get different supports from each one. If I do not agree with the tone or message, I move along and do not visit that thread anymore.

Whether or not it is intended, sometimes corrections can "feel" like judgement to the individual. 65x65 said something about, why so defensive? Possibly, the person is dealing with a whole lot of food issues and weight baggage. For most of us, this is not our first weight loss rodeo.

It is important to find a balance between giving correct information and consideration of the poster's dignity (and possibly fragile hold on staying OP). Having been on this forum for over 6 months, I understand that the intentions are based in good. It is definitely a case of perception, but a person's perception is their own reality.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #43  

Height: 5 '6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
I have hesitated to weigh in here, because it seems as though this tension arises every month. I find this struggle for the vision of the IP support forum, awkward and uncomfortable.

I agree with Laurie, that accurate information is necessary because people are depending on the site for guidance. I understand Vachinyc's desire to find people following the protocol in a similar way. I also empathize with those who struggle with the strictness of the IP protocol and need support to make good choices.

In my view, that is why there are different threads. I frequent a lot of them to keep my focus. I get different supports from each one. If I do not agree with the tone or message, I move along and do not visit that thread anymore.

Whether or not it is intended, sometimes corrections can "feel" like judgement to the individual. 65x65 said something about, why so defensive? Possibly, the person is dealing with a whole lot of food issues and weight baggage. For most of us, this is not our first weight loss rodeo.

It is important to find a balance between giving correct information and consideration of the poster's dignity (and possibly fragile hold on staying OP). Having been on this forum for over 6 months, I understand that the intentions are based in good. It is definitely a case of perception, but a person's perception is their own reality.
OK Slipfree... LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!! You just nailed what I think.... some people are better at expressing a thought than others... thank you for this!

When I first started on 3FC's I found a few posts a little blunt/judgmental... but after I was on the forum long enough I got to know people and knew that they had nothing but the best intentions. Because we can't hear tone of voice and read body language when reading messages, we will all interpret them differently... I will admit to rereading something I've posted and then gone back and edited it because it didn't come across as I intended.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker88 View Post
OK Slipfree... LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!! You just nailed what I think.... some people are better at expressing a thought than others... thank you for this!

When I first started on 3FC's I found a few posts a little blunt/judgmental... but after I was on the forum long enough I got to know people and knew that they had nothing but the best intentions. Because we can't hear tone of voice and read body language when reading messages, we will all interpret them differently... I will admit to rereading something I've posted and then gone back and edited it because it didn't come across as I intended.
Problems erupt when someone who is not or does not want to follow the IP protocol completely takes offense, and posts defensively. This community was created for and is IP support. While it is perfectly acceptable on an individual level to pick and choose what is wanted, this forum is not the place to debate the structure of IP. It is IP. The mission here and the main focus is IP protocol. Whatever help that is to someone who wants to dissect information and customize the plan is wonderful..diluting what it is, is not. The core of this diet is the rigidity. Take that away and you have something else...low carb...etc. Those diets work well for a lot of people..so does IP in it's entirety. When IP people are having trouble recognizing IPers like themselves...the forum is not being effective to the people who have no where else to turn. That is the basis of attempts to redirect the focus. That should not happen.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-13-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 187/177/145

I seldom post but since starting on IP, this forum has been my lifeline ..... I thank all of you for posting from your gut on all topics ... just like i am slowly turning into a discerning eater, so am I turning into a discerning reader of the posts ����
Closed Thread