Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #46  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I did pay $315 for the initial visit which was labs, EKG, watching some silly boring PowerPoint slide presentations and then talking with the coach for about an hour. This also included the 21 packets, the 3 bottles of vitamins, the shaker and the salt.

Well great. I seem to have a knack for picking the wrong one...husbands, which line to get in at the grocery store...

There isn't much I can do today. I picked the the clinic based on the hours, proximity to my work and the fact that they did labs. My friend who is on this said to make sure they did labs.

Any IP'rs in Dallas on the thread that can recommend good clinics/coaches?

You would think in Dallas there would be quite a few, but when I went to the IP website and used the locator, the same 4 came up even though I put in my home zip code and my work zip code ( my work and home are very close to each other). I'll make some calls on Monday to see if I can switch clinics and see what I can do about getting my money back from this one.

I will still have to go back to this one on Tues. for my 1st WI and to get the next week's packets as well as my lab results. But I'll make sure that only 7 restricteds are in the bag and make them trade them out if there are 11 like there were the first week.

I should have realized that something was off when I was told that I needed to pay $50 once a month to see my coach. Ugh. I'm mad.
If it's any consolation, my coach, the cheapest around my area (and best imo) charged 285 for initial consult and foods, NO labs. Make sure to get copies of your lab results so you don't have to repeat them at another clinic.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #47  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I did P1 for 11 months, losing 90 lbs. The first 6 months, restricteds were a godsend. They helped me to feel not deprived. I typically preferred the salty,crunchy ones like salt/vinegar ridges, southwest curls, or white cheddar chips. I also had some Quest bars (I'm soy/gluten-free). Then, at some point, they started to taste like "more" and started to create cravings I didn't need.

Today I can have one if I swing into a GNC or supplement store and buy one. Having a box around the house is just more temptation than I want. It is funny. Off-plan foods in the house don't do that to me. Items my DH has around don't call to me. But a box of restricteds do. So I just don't keep them around.

If I want a treat, I make a zucchini muffin with a pudding packet (recipe in recipes #4). Or potato puree breadsticks (pretty much same recipe, just different pan)
Thanks for the advice, Lisa. And, thanks for the share. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Good for you for being able to recognize that you needed to stop eating restricteds for a bit. Those quest bars sound delicious but I think I'll hold off on buying those for awhile until I get a handle over my cravings. On the other hand, I will be checking out the zucchini muffins, yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Hi KareVT,

I agree that there are times when the cravings or food just calls to you. Knowing how your body reacts to triggers is vital in making this our last "diet" and changing to a healthy life style.

I decided to only indulge in food for joyous reasons- not for stress, or boredom. This mantra or check in has been really helpful to me. I have needed to find other ways of dealing with my emotions, because Ben & Jerry and I dated quite regularly prior to IP. But, I found no joy in eating that pint, I was just comforting myself. I think that if we do not figure out other coping strategies, the cravings will win. I eat my restricted on the way to work in the am. Once it's done, it over because I only buy enough packets to last the week.

I wish you luck with your experiment and hope that you have an easy OP weekend.
Thanks so much for the feedback, Slipfree. It's interesting to step back and listen to the body's needs. Good for you for deciding to only indulge for joyous reasons and for differentiating between stress vs. hunger. That's a huge battle. Smart to indulge in the AM so that your body has all day to burn it off. I'll keep ya posted on my experiment.. One day at a time..

Last edited by KareVT; 03-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #48  
My own kind of beautiful

S/C/G: 334/245/175

Height: 5'5"

So, I have to vent.... I went to see my grandparents (and parents) for the first time since I was home for my best friends wedding, over a month ago... I've not changed THAT drastically since then, but NOW they are making a huge deal about it... Im fine with my Grandma making comments, because she has been my support since the start, and has always been there for me... BUT when my grandpa starts making comments about my weight, good OR bad, I get super uncomfortable, because that entire side of my family is obese, and so when I was at my biggest weight, he would stare at me when I ate, and would make snide remarks about not having seconds or eating dessert, and about how I would be better off if I lost weight now rather than later, etc etc, so I have ALWAYS been self conscious around my family, because even though they are hypocrites, because they are obese themselves, they are the ones who I care most about, and so their comments hurt the most... SO, I didn't even want to be in the same room at my grandpa and uncle, because my grandma wouldnt stop RAVING about how different I look, and that sparked Gpa's comments, and he is getting old, and cant word things in a way doesnt make me uncomfortable, so tonight he grabbed my arm after I hugged him goodbye, and said something to the terms of "Once you get down to 150, 160 max, you'll feel so much better about not having so much baggage, and not carrying a brick around back there" (referring to my derriere)... I don't even want to go back to my grandparents house because I feel so uncomfortable about them discussing how I look, mostly because they compare me to what I looked like, and make it sound like I was huge, and ugly (obviously not in those words, but it feels like it)....
I guess I've still not come to terms with how large I actually was, and I'm not comfortable talking about my body yet... Strange how its easier to talk to a complete stranger about how much weight I lost, but I can't even talk to my own dad about how I feel... Mostly because, unknowingly, because of one of his comments, thats the whole reason I decided I was serious about losing weight and keeping it off... He commented that he didnt want to lose me (because I almost died a year ago, due to complications from Pancreatitis and Gallstones, caused mostly by my poor diet), and also if I ever wanted to think about getting married, if I wanted a guy to find me attractive, I needed to lose weight... I understand the one about my health, the other one stung, a lot... and so I cant bear to talk to him about the fact that I have lost this much weight, and still continue to do so....

Sorry this is so long... It's just something that has been weighing on my chest, and I don't want it so show up on the scale (Haha, Just Kidding)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 204/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Only 1 lbs

So sad... But I'm still determined. I have to pack my lunch bag differently because a microwave might not be around. Maybe I need to do more celery and lettuce. I'm still determined and my coach is looking for at least 3 lbs. no cheating, lots of water, and celery
Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deana509 View Post
So, I have to vent.... I went to see my grandparents (and parents) for the first time since I was home for my best friends wedding, over a month ago... I've not changed THAT drastically since then, but NOW they are making a huge deal about it... Im fine with my Grandma making comments, because she has been my support since the start, and has always been there for me... BUT when my grandpa starts making comments about my weight, good OR bad, I get super uncomfortable, because that entire side of my family is obese, and so when I was at my biggest weight, he would stare at me when I ate, and would make snide remarks about not having seconds or eating dessert, and about how I would be better off if I lost weight now rather than later, etc etc, so I have ALWAYS been self conscious around my family, because even though they are hypocrites, because they are obese themselves, they are the ones who I care most about, and so their comments hurt the most... SO, I didn't even want to be in the same room at my grandpa and uncle, because my grandma wouldnt stop RAVING about how different I look, and that sparked Gpa's comments, and he is getting old, and cant word things in a way doesnt make me uncomfortable, so tonight he grabbed my arm after I hugged him goodbye, and said something to the terms of "Once you get down to 150, 160 max, you'll feel so much better about not having so much baggage, and not carrying a brick around back there" (referring to my derriere)... I don't even want to go back to my grandparents house because I feel so uncomfortable about them discussing how I look, mostly because they compare me to what I looked like, and make it sound like I was huge, and ugly (obviously not in those words, but it feels like it)....
I guess I've still not come to terms with how large I actually was, and I'm not comfortable talking about my body yet... Strange how its easier to talk to a complete stranger about how much weight I lost, but I can't even talk to my own dad about how I feel... Mostly because, unknowingly, because of one of his comments, thats the whole reason I decided I was serious about losing weight and keeping it off... He commented that he didnt want to lose me (because I almost died a year ago, due to complications from Pancreatitis and Gallstones, caused mostly by my poor diet), and also if I ever wanted to think about getting married, if I wanted a guy to find me attractive, I needed to lose weight... I understand the one about my health, the other one stung, a lot... and so I cant bear to talk to him about the fact that I have lost this much weight, and still continue to do so....

Sorry this is so long... It's just something that has been weighing on my chest, and I don't want it so show up on the scale (Haha, Just Kidding)
It is going to take time to adjust to the new you. I cannot think of the term as to what it is called (someone else may know) but as the weeks roll by you will slowly adjust and so will your family.

Maybe you are the aspiring bud they need to help get them motivated to lose weight too It takes just one person to start a trend (a good one in this case!)

My uncle told me at my Grandpas funeral that I was looking so good, and there was "less of me". I LOVE my family and this just boosted me up so much! He said it with so much love as did everyone else LOL.

It will all fall into place as time goes by!

You look so great@!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:

Deana - how I wish that 65X65 were able to read your comment because she would have such wise advice as to handle those awkward encounters. I am lacking that except to say hang in there and so not let other derail your wonderful progress.

One of the things you said did resonate with me. I did not have a CLUE as to how large I had gotten until I lost the 100 pounds. When I looked at a photo from 2 years ago with my siblings, I could not believe how HUGE I was, like the side of a barn door. I never saw that when I looked in the mirror. What frightens me is that I am afraid that I may still not be seeing the real me even now when I look in the mirror, so when I think I look good, I may ben just as disillusioned as before
Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #52  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I feel like my posts are mostly ignored lately. Probably just me, but it feels weird. I asked earlier up the thread if someone could tell me how to post a picture on here, or for any tips on posting a picture. I don't want to do it wrong, or have it show up too big. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do that?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #53  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendilly View Post
I feel like my posts are mostly ignored lately. Probably just me, but it feels weird. I asked earlier up the thread if someone could tell me how to post a picture on here, or for any tips on posting a picture. I don't want to do it wrong, or have it show up too big. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do that?
Jendilly - you are not being ignored. I would love to help but I'm not techie enough. I tried to add a photo to my profile and it kept failing so I gave up. I'm sure someone with the appropriate expertise will be able to help.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #54  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:

My mothers saying when the family was being a little bit mean or just not very sympathetic or understanding about a situation was "I love everyone in my family but that doesn't necessarily mean that I have to like them right now".

I think that you've done the best thing you could about the situation which is to vent to us. Lots of people will come up with some great advice. I'm lucky, because all of family live about 30 hours flying time away which means that they are not seeing the weight loss and won't get to until I'm done and I don't have to deal with any unintentionally' hurtful comments like you have. And I think that's the main thing to remember, they aren't deliberately trying to be hurtful, they are just not saying in an appropriate way how proud they are of you. Ahhhh families! They really can mess with our heads.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #55  

Catlady
I paid 250 for the initial consult Plus food.
Nothing for weekly visits (I would NEVER have gone for that deal. The cost of the food covers that)
No labs, etc from my clinic but I got a baseline at my Dr.

Deana:
Our families, the people we love the most, are also the people who can hurt us the most. It is obvious that your family is unaware of the emotional roller coaster losing weight can be. If they knew you were going thru a hard time about anything else, they wouldn't want to do or say anything to cause you more stress.

One of the things we have to learn in life is to speak up for what we need but in a kind, gentle, way (say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean). Explaining how much emotional baggage is attached to the fat baggage is hard to do, especially because we are processing it too, and can't always articulate it well.

I think sometimes we need a place for comfort and support. We expect it from our families & they think they are giving it but comfort and support is not what we feel. The only way to fix it is to talk about it.

Some of us may need counseling or therapy to assist with the huge changes we are making in our lives and to help deal with all the feelings. For some of us this forum may be enough. For others, we may need professional support, just as we sought "professional" support from a weight loss clinic. Since most of our coaches are barely professionals in that realm, we surely can't expect them to help us with the emotional stuff.

There is a reason we got 25, 50. 100, 150, 200, or more lbs overweight. Especially those of us who got to be obese or morbidly obese, we ignored our health, our bodies, our looks, and stuffed a lot of feelings down with food. Expecting a diet alone to fix everything that got us there is a lot to ask of a diet plan.

Anyway, my thought for myself and others.
This forum can be super-supportive but it can't totally replace the support a good counselor could give to the process as we grow and change. It really is a lot to ask of ourselves to just "fix".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNatural View Post
So sad... But I'm still determined. I have to pack my lunch bag differently because a microwave might not be around. Maybe I need to do more celery and lettuce. I'm still determined and my coach is looking for at least 3 lbs. no cheating, lots of water, and celery
FYI: "only" is a four-letter-word on this forum and isn't to be used to describe weight loss. If you are 100% sticking to the sheet and have a coach pressuring you because your WL isn't meeting his/her expectations, take a step back and take a deep breath. Remember we hire the coaches. They are our employees. Some of them forget this. And 3 lbs isn't the average!!!! So that just ticks me off more than anything. Many of us find it is more like 1.5-2.

We aren't gonna live on celery and lettuce. However, many of us DO lose faster if we make sure lettuce is a part of every day. Celery is ONE of the many select veggies you have to choose from. You don't have to stick to celery and stay deprived on IP P1. I know I'd get bored quickly if all my veggies were raw all the time.

And if there have been cheats, then go to the P1 sheet and make it your code. It is the thing to follow daily. Get everything in & nothing more.

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-02-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I'm not techie but I can try to describe how to post a picture in the forum. When you are typing in a text box, it is an icon in the first row that looks like a paper clip. If you click the paper clip a pop-up should open and allow you to add in a picture/file that is saved on your computer (says "manage attachments"). Click "choose file" and pick your image and click upload. This should insert the image into the chat. 1655898_10151865537092657_559043839_n.jpg

Hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

The snow came and hopefully it is finished. They say the advisory is until 6pm, but the radar is clearing up. I want spring!!

Since I am an optimist I did go out and buy some shorts so I would have some when it does finally warm up. I am actually very happy that Bermuda's are in fashion. I may be thinner, but it does not mean this 52 year old needs to be wearing shorty shorts!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Deana, family is tough. For some reason, they believe that the relationship gives them permission to say anything. Do you remember at the holidays, my Aunt went on and on about my losing the 1/4 inch of fat from my forehead? Some people just do not think, before they speak. It is our job to set our boundaries. I think that you should develop a polite but pointed response: " Thank you, I am working hard to get healthy. It is a personal journey and I would rather not talk about it." As for your feelings about your weight in the past, I do not think you can ignore them. The shame that comes along with being overweight is often part of that burden. Time to let go of it, you did the best you could then. Now, you recognize the need to do better- and girl, you are getting the job done.
Lisa, is right, that we all need to know the reasons why we put on the weight. If we do not identify why we use food, we are more apt to return to our behaviors.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Jendilly, try not to take the lack of response personally. Daily chat is a big place and there are many times that I have received no response. As for pictures, I did not reply because I have no idea. Maybe a sticky can be made to explain it? I know that you are nervous and excited to share your pictures. Hope you get it figured out. Looking forward to seeing them.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
I wish I could help but as you can see from my profile, I do not have one either. Sorry. I can answer but not give one!
Closed Thread