Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfler View Post
Yay to everyone's victories - on AND off the scale!

I had a NSV today as I am wearing a pair of size 6 jeans I ordered off of the internet and they fit! Never in my wildest dreams did I think a size 6 pair of pants and a size medium shirt would be for me.

I am so thankful for IP. I've lost weight through the diet and exercise route before and kept it off by working HARD, until I gave up and the weight crept back on. With IP, I weigh myself often and if I notice the scale creeping, I reboot. I'm not saying its not hard, I'm saying if you stick with it, it is so worth it. Nevermind the added benefit that the initial results don't take as long as the traditional route.

My intital goal weight was 150 and every so often I drop it by five. I now weigh 138 and have much more endurance while running. Even during these last 3-8lbs (still haven't decided how low to go), it is coming off MUCH slower, but that's okay! I feel great and I'm wearing a size 6, dang it!!!

Sorry for the ramble, but I just want to encourage anyone with doubt that if you stay the course, wonderful things can AND WILL happen to your body and your self confidence.
I could not agree more with you on this and like you I watch the scale and reboot when necessary. Right now I am on a 30 day phase 1 to kick off 6-8lbs gain and hopefully go down a lower goal...not to mention do some palette retraining. You are right about it not being easy BUT it is worth it. I have been looking at photos this week for a work project and man, I cannot believe how I let myself and my health go. I wish I would have discovered IP years ago when the weight gain began.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #32  
Started IP 9/10/2013

S/C/G: 220/157/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker88 View Post
ahhhh I know how you feel! I had one previous slip and I just thought, "I can't change that so I'll just continue on!" But the last couple of days even though I haven't been hungry, I've been wanting to eat! I finally caved a couple of days ago and had some cheese and two restricted in one day... this time I was feeling really down about it and questioning if I should just phase off before my Hawaii vacation... I decided to give yesterday 100% and see how I felt... yesterday went good and I had a great talk with my coach who encouraged me to just follow through and get it done!!

I think most of my issues were definitely head games and I think I was trying to sabatage myself! Today I feel positive and ready to get the last of this weight off... no more beating myself up!! It happens, just as long as its not often!! I also started in September so I thinking I'm doing OK!
Yes, looking at your stats I'd say you are doing MORE than ok! What fantastic losses, you must be so proud! Thank you all for your words of encouragement and understanding. My coach is very...not nice...so I didn't even put my transgressions in my journal and have been trying to think of lies in anticipation of my lack of loss at my next WI. I realize THAT'S no way to approach a coaching session...but honestly I get WAY more support on these boards than I do from her.

Last edited by GettinHealthyNow; 02-19-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #33  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontesanera View Post
This is what tinny wrote in the 90% thread and I think that it is an appropriate response to the way you are feeling:

I think the downside of being black and white 100% is that you set yourself up for feeling like a failure if you do have a slip - whether it be planned or unintentional. I think the black and white mentality can lead to thoughts like, "Gee, I've really blown this day by licking my kid's ice cream cone, so I might as well have pizza and beer for dinner."

If you allow yourself to consider the occasional slip as OK, you can view that same situation as, "Hmm, I wish I hadn't done that, but I know that there is a little bit of wiggle room in my day. As long as I stick to the straight and narrow I should be all right."
I'm going to have to disagree with the bolded part. Slips can and do occur and no one should feel beat up about it. Instead they should be encouraged to get right back OP and strive to not let it happen again.

But there really is no "wiggle room" if you want to achieve the best results on this plan. That kind of thinking is what led most of us to gain weight in the first place. I know there are people who modify the diet to suit themselves and that is fine - if they are okay with slower losses, they are adults and make their own decisions and I respect that. But the thought that "oh, just a little won't hurt" can lead to some very bad results.

Part of P1 is to learn to moderate and be mindful of what you are eating. Learning good habits now will help with maintenance in the future. Discipline is a key component of learning how to eat for the rest of your life.

It is hard. We all have our challenges and things we have to deal with. How you deal with those things now is important. When I had to go on a low fiber diet prior to surgery I just about cried. I thought about giving up but instead made it work with IP. If you consider every challenge as an excuse for wiggle room exactly what are you learning as far as eating habits go? The time to think about what you are eating is before you eat it.

I'm not a perfect person, but I have managed to stay OP for 10 months. For the first time in my life I am in control rather than the food being in control.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suda View Post
good morning ~ I am on week 6 of IP and have been successful in loosing 20 pounds in that time. This week, I hit a plateau. Can you offer and recommendations for breaking through to lose my last 10 pounds? Thanks!!
So, not having a loss in one week isn't really a stall. A true stall would be 4-6 weeks (or more!) with no changes in scale or measurements. Remember that weight loss isn't linear. We can do everything right and our body can hold onto water weight or whatever that particular week. It is all part of the process. You're doing great! 20 in 6 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwr816 View Post
I'm in week 2 and I feel like my weight is coming off sooooo slowly. Of course I understand that everyone loses differently, but I'm wondering what modifications I can make to speed it up. I've been posting my meals in the meal thread daily. Since I'm using alternatives I mostly stick to EAS shakes, Quest bars for my restricteds, Protei-Diet and Protei-Thin products and WF dressings. Anyone have experience losing this slow or recommendations? Thx!
With less weight to lose than many other folks here, you simply cannot compare your rate of weight loss to that of other.s How much have you lost in 2 weeks?
If you're having your 3 packets, 4 c veggies, oil, water, salt and 2 salads/day then I say you're doing great. Some folks find they lose faster if they include those salads daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinHealthyNow View Post
Just thought I'd share a NSV - I'm in size 8 pants today. Last week my 10s (which I thought I'd NEVER be able to wear) were suddenly sagging on the behind. I needed this - I've been feeling a bit fed up and actually had a terrible eating binge on the weekend - first time I've fallen off the protocol since starting back in September. This has given me the pump up I needed to recover and move forward. I've been so ashamed of myself that I can't even open up the 100% thread to read it as I normally do daily.
Okay, enuf! Get yourself back in the 100%ers thread for support. You're there today. No need to dwell on the weekend. It was several days ago and cant be changed at this point anyway. No need to confess further, just move forward
Congrats on the saggy pants (lol...I work in the inner city where all the men wear those silly saggy pants...I bet it isn't THAT bad!)
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Lisa, RuthAnn & All, thank you so much for your encouragement and support! I know it's unrealistic to expect huge losses overnight and the important thing to focus on is that the scale IS going down every day. I'm not sure of my measurements and inches lost, but I do know my jeans are feeling less tight. Five pounds in two weeks is nothing to feel discouraged about and I'm determined to keep up with this plan!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #36  

Height: 5 '6

I wholeheartedly agree RuthAnn. When I first started IP, I compared the tickers of the people tweaking the program to suit themselves and the tickers of the 100 percenters and I made a choice for me personally just as everyone else has to make their own personal choice... but I thought the tickers spoke for themselves and that's why I try very hard to stick to the IP "rules" and stay OP!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #37  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

I have been struggling since the first of the year, First I got sick and I let that detour me. Now this last week I have been having terrible back pain. Went to the doctor yesterday and she didn't think it was muscle related and sent me for an ultra sound this morning. The technician says a have a big cyst and had me in there for an hour taking measurements and different views. I had a really good week two weeks ago but this Sunday when I weighed was up a pound and a half. Trying to stay calm but all together sort of depressed over this unexpected surprise and what it will bring.

And my back hurts so much I haven't been getting hardly any sleep.

Okay done, just had to voice my uncertainty and try to just let it go. Maybe a hot shower and a cup of orange cinnamon tea will help.

Last edited by MntRose; 02-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

MntRose,

Sorry to hear about your health and that you are struggling. I hope you find some resolution for your pain. Wishing you
Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #39  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Ok - so this is the first time since July (and starting IP) that I want a drink. I won't have one because I remember what they said at the orientation that you need to consider that going off program will cost you one week in food. Also, I have been 100% OP since the beginning and if I let myself cheat, I am afraid I will never go back 100% OP.

I am going to dinner with a friend tonight and he won't pressure me to have a drink I know that. But it is just weird that after all this time I have a desire for a drink. It would be a celebratory drink (I am pretty sure I will be promoted in April) as well as a "I've had a hard day drink."

I will settle for water with lemon and then just chalk it up to a NSV.

Thanks for letting me vent - it took away some of the desire for a drink getting it down in writing.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
Ok - so this is the first time since July (and starting IP) that I want a drink. I won't have one because I remember what they said at the orientation that you need to consider that going off program will cost you one week in food. Also, I have been 100% OP since the beginning and if I let myself cheat, I am afraid I will never go back 100% OP.

I am going to dinner with a friend tonight and he won't pressure me to have a drink I know that. But it is just weird that after all this time I have a desire for a drink. It would be a celebratory drink (I am pretty sure I will be promoted in April) as well as a "I've had a hard day drink."

I will settle for water with lemon and then just chalk it up to a NSV.

Thanks for letting me vent - it took away some of the desire for a drink getting it down in writing.
Congrats on the possible promotion! How exciting. I completely understand where you are coming from. I have had urges to drink here and there but have not done it. Like you, I think about wasting a week worth of food. Great outlook as having it as an NSV! My birthday is tomorrow and a few of my friends want to go grab drinks tomorrow night and I keep thinking....I don't really want to go to a bar to get a club soda while yall drink in honor of my birthday. I'd rather be out to dinner where I can hear all of you, eat something on IP and enjoy myself! It's tough not drinking. Not matter the celebration. Our society just looks at it as a tool in celebration. I wish we didn't.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 170/137.5/138

Height: 5'4.5"

Well, I finally did it, I got myself a coach. I think he will be worth every penny.

After reading the posts so far today I do have some comments. First, I have not lost more than 3 pounds in any one week. So those of you that are struggling, just hang in there. It will come off. Some suggestions my coach gave me were: 1) Eat a head of Romain lettuce every day...one half at lunch and one half at dinner. He said it would speed my weight-loss. I think Lisa also mentioned that. 2) 2 cups of vegetables isn't always 2 cups of vegetables. I've seen a post where someone said if you cut it smaller you can get more in the two cups. He said 6 ounces is what I should be eating. I have a food scale so I've made that adjustment and it is helped me. I'm thinking this may be my biggest weight loss week yet based on what I've seen so far. (Yes, I step on the scale every morning.)

Just some ideas. Maybe these will help some of you if you choose.

Congrats to those of you with great losses and all the NSVs.

Last edited by Vippysue; 02-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #42  

The lettuce thing is interesting as is the two cups of veggies idea. I too have though about how cutting can make a difference. Something I will be "chewing" on. LOL
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vippysue View Post
Well, I finally did it, I got myself a coach. I think he will be worth every penny.

After reading the posts so far today I do have some comments. First, I have not lost more than 3 pounds in any one week. So those of you that are struggling, just hang in there. It will come off. Some suggestions my coach gave me were: 1) Eat a head of Romain lettuce every day...one half at lunch and one half of dinner. He said it would speed my weight-loss. I think Lisa also mentioned that. 2) 2 cups of vegetables isn't always 2 cups of vegetables. I've seen a post where someone said if you cut it smaller you can get more in the two cups. He said 6 ounces is what I should be eating. I have a food scale so I've made that adjustment and it is helped me. I'm thinking this may be my biggest weight loss week yet based on what I've seen so far. (Yes, I step on the scale every morning.)

Just some ideas. Maybe these will help some of you if you choose.

Congrats to those of you with great losses and all the NSVs.
Congrats on the coach - it cab be really helpful when you get a good one!!

sounds like you got some good advice... However, if you weigh veggies, you need a conversion "chart" which I think AVALON posted once awhile back... Six oz of cauliflower/broccoli vs six oz of spinach/field greens is WAY WAY different. Pretty much everyone here (and even the coaches) use cups for veggies and weigh meat (both raw). Meat has somewhat similar density compared to veggies.

I am pretty sure what Avalon posted gave weights for each different veggie as to what equals a "cup." Maybe she will read and chime in!!

Last edited by JLUS; 02-19-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 170/137.5/138

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Congrats on the coach - it cab be really helpful when you get a good one!!

sounds like you got some good advice... However, if you weigh veggies, you need a conversion "chart" which I think AVALON posted once awhile back... Six oz of cauliflower/broccoli vs six oz of spinach/field greens is WAY WAY different. Pretty much everyone here (and even the coaches) use cups for veggies and weigh meat (both raw). Meat has somewhat similar density compared to veggies.

I am pretty sure what Avalon posted gave weights for each different veggie as to what equals a "cup." Maybe she will read and chime in!!
Yes, thanks. I believe i do have a good one.

Regarding the veggies, yes, I agree. When I do spinach, I stuff it in a measuring cup, but broccoli, green pepper, cucumber, onion… everything else other than leafy greens, I will be weighing. I have chosen to heed his advice on that one.

Last edited by Vippysue; 02-19-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vippysue View Post
Yes, I agree. When I do spinach, I stuff it in a measuring cup, but broccoli, green pepper, cucumber, onion… everything else other than leafy greens, I will be weighing. I have chosen to heed his advice on that one.
Good, that could help with the weight disparity! Enjoy having a coach and getting great feedback and guidance!
Closed Thread