Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #1  

Default IP Weekend Chat Saturday 8/24 - Sunday 8/25/2013

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #2  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Good morning all, hope everyone has a great weekend. Stay strong!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all!

Question, I have been getting lots of bruises, I bumped my arm at work yesterday and now its a bruise the size of a baseball! Most of them are small, I have always been some form of anemic, being a vegetarian. Before IP I did take an iron supplement or a mulitvit with iron. I've lost 20 lbs so I dont think its a skin/ collagen issue, maybe but I think iron?? I do eat alot of broccoli and spinach but I think I need to add an iron supplement. If I can remember to take it at lunch, it wont interfere with the IP chemistry will it?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonolady View Post
Good morning all!

Question, I have been getting lots of bruises, I bumped my arm at work yesterday and now its a bruise the size of a baseball! Most of them are small, I have always been some form of anemic, being a vegetarian. Before IP I did take an iron supplement or a mulitvit with iron. I've lost 20 lbs so I dont think its a skin/ collagen issue, maybe but I think iron?? I do eat alot of broccoli and spinach but I think I need to add an iron supplement. If I can remember to take it at lunch, it wont interfere with the IP chemistry will it?
lol how odd, i just got outta the shower and started wondering the same thing about myself...i've got bruises all over the place....i was going to investigate online later...if i find anything super interesting i will pass it on....hopefully lisa will just have an answer for us tho
Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #5  

Hi everyone!
My back pain has been crazy-bad the last couple of days. Yesterday after an all-day meeting (I stood most of the time because of my back), I got a therapeutic massage, went out for a quick dinner with DH, laid down to put ice and therapy on my back (I now have a home TENS unit) and fell asleep before 8:30 pm. That is what pain will do

I am up this morning with ice and therapy again before I do my PT exercises. My MFP friends know PT exercise is part of my daily routine so I'm very frustrated with my back I'm pretty sure it has been the major cause of my slow weight loss over the past several months...but I keep plugging along anyway, knowing that other options are not options for me (such as going off-plan)

I saw some things yesterday in the chat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LittleStar View Post
Love the breadsticks! What are you eating them with?
I sometimes have mine with the mockamole (recipe thread #3, I believe), cauliflower hummus, or with my mock potato salad (made the same, just with cauliflower instead of potatoes & WF mayo). I don't combine packets so personally I wouldn't have them with a soup, etc. We're having a heat wave in St Louis so I won't be baking until these crazy temps go away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilleysue View Post
I accidentally had about 4tbspns of PB2 in Phase 1. I still have one more meal to go tonight. What should I do..just salad or salad and a packet?
You got good advise, just return to the plan and move on. Slips really can't be corrected for.

We don't have accidental cheats if we read labels carefully. It took me forever to shop when I was new at IP. Now, if I think I want to try something new, the label is scrutinized first, both to see if it is OP and to see if it fits my soy protein-free/GF plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse101 View Post
Hi all, I in am week 2 and am still super hungry all the time! I've read lots of your posts which say your hunger has gone away and I'm wondering how long did it take for that to happen for you? My coach said if I'm hungry then something is wrong, but I'm 100% OP, getting all my veggies, protein, and tons of lettuce in. Any suggestions?
A few people have reported their hunger never went away throughout their time on IP, even though ketosis is supposed to reduce hunger. I had to wonder if some of the people had ever developed insulin resistance (<25 lbs to lose).

In my case, I've had to differentiate between true hunger and cravings, aka "head" hunger or just wanting to eat. I learned that true hunger can be somewhat satiated with lettuce...for a time. If I'm craving or just "want something," I just want it & need to do something to get my mind off of it. Eating became such a habit! Now we're fighting our bodies to regain the control.

We also have some very powerful hunger hormones that work in our systems as well. These are hormones we hear very little about in the normal medical community (leptin, ghrelin, glucagon, and others). I spent some time learning about these. Not so that I could have excuses to fail but so I could learn to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm263 View Post
SO I'm thinking I need to find a way to wean my way off of caffeine because I was basically crying at work yesterday afternoon and it's not a good look for a receptionist! Any suggestions??!!
Others have told you how powerful the estrogen release from the fat cells can be. It really takes some time to acclimate to that feeling.
Additionally, IP is a major detox from all the bad stuff we had been shoving into our bodies that was making us fat. We have to be gentle with ourselves and know that we are pretty like addicts detoxing from our drugs of choice (sugar, carbs, fat). This detox may take some time. There are plenty of studies that tell us just how powerful of an addiction sugar is.

It is NOT required that we quit caffeine on IP (although reduction is recommended). We just need to be sure for every cup we drink (cup of coffee, tea, other caffeine beverage), we have an ADDITIONAL 8 oz of water. This is above and beyond the water we drink for the day. I drink 3 liters/day which covers my extras & then I may end up with more. Everyone who has offices near the bathroom at work knows me well

And from today's chat:

Quote:
I've always bruised easily. I don't have anymore IP multivitamin so can't comment as to whether it contains iron. If not, I'd add in whatever I was taking before (I've kept up with most of my pre-IP supplements). My DH also swears by big doses of Vitamin C to cut back on bruising. Every time I get one (I've always bruised easily) he tells me I'm not taking enough vitamin C (I take 6000 mg/day!)

I've also read Vitamin D3 (always take with Vitamin K) supplements may help

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-24-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #6  

Found an answer sort of about the bruising...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3745032-post561.html

This is common. It has many possible causes. In part, how long you have been on the diet is a factor as is how much weight you have lost. If you have lost a large amount of weight, this skin and vascular structure are still adapting and shrinking. The fat we lost had a vascular support structure that is more exposed now and more fragile so, if it takes any little trauma we bruise.

Additional possibilities are:

- if you don't eat enough of the "greens" and lettuce vitamin K might be reduced for a rare group of people.

-it could indicate your body is not creating enough collagen. that might be corrected by incorporating the jello and blueberry pom drink into your week more often or by adding a quality collagen supplement (Neocell hydrolyzed collagen 1 and 3 plus C is good).

-deficiencies in vitamin C, bioflavonoids, vitamin E, and zinc can lead to bruising more easily.

A vitamin C deficiency may be caused by several factors:

• eating too few fruits and vegetables (remember the problem sailors used to have centuries ago with scurvy outbreaks on long voyages? It was caused by a lack of vitamin C)
• taking drugs which destroys this vitamin
• long-time stress from illness, frustration or depression OR THIS DIET
• smoking (one cigarette can deplete the body of 25 mg of vitamin C)
• frequent emotional outbursts such as anger
• exposure to pollutants, allergens or heavy metals

A deficiency in hesperidin, one of the bioflavonoids (sometimes called vitamin P), naturally occurring nutrients usually found in association with vitamin C, has been linked with abnormal capillary weakness. These bioflavonoids, including hesperidin, Citrin, Rutin, Flavones, Flavonals, Calechin and Quercetin, were found to be essential in correcting the tendency toward bruising. Bioflavonoids, such as rutin and hesperidin, facilitate the functions of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps protect against bruising by strengthening capillary walls.

In general this diet is limited in vitamin C so, I would start there. Add in a quality vitamin C with BIOFLAVANOIDS ( I like to use on formulated with ester C as it typically has a somewhat better potency.)

Vitamin E works synergistically with vitamin C to repair tissues. Uniquely, too OR too much vitamin E can create bruising. Bruising from excess vitamin E occurs because this vitamin works to thin platelets.

Vitamin K is made in the intestines, but can be depleted by antibiotics, which kill the friendly bacteria that synthesize it. Supplementing your diet with leafy, green vegetables is a good way to add this vitamin to your system. You can also use vitamin K cream which will help fade and clear bruises and can help decrease post- surgical bruising when used approximately two weeks prior to surgery and after surgery. It helps the capillaries heal themselves by sealing the blood leakage. Vitamin K also supports the body's ability to reabsorb the blood in surrounding tissues, thereby helping fade the bruise and restoring the skin to normal color.

Taking probiotics helps the body with some of its natural production of vitamin K and supports the friendly bacteria in our digestive system

Zinc is helpful in maintaining healthy connective tissue, and a deficiency can lead to bruising. it can be boosted by taking 50-100 mg per day. Keep in mind zinc has its own positive and negatives. You won't want to take a dose of that level for more than a week or 10 days without medical supervision, as it may interfere with absorption of other important nutrients.

Lack of iron is also a possibility especially if you have a history of low iron. NONE of our supplements are iron enriched. I learned that is done because of some balancing chemistry of the diet. You can supplement it if you need to just remember to not take your iron when you take any supplements with calcium.

Excessive use of garlic, fish oil, aspirin or, ibuprofen will often lead to more thinned blood and easier bruising.

Having low B vitamins or folic acid can also contribute. This is not the most common reason on this diet as we do supplement and if you are getting plenty of greens/romaine it comes naturally. If you are prone to low B vitamin in your body, you might consider it.

To some extent not being well enough hydrated contributes to a lowered resistance to bruising.

There are other health matters that contribute too. For instance, people with thyroid issues may be more prone to bruising as will someone who has a lower platelet count from other related health issues.

As you can see there are many reasons we could bruise on this diet. They are all unique to you. You can try to look at your personal history, diet, and what other things you include in your lifestyle (medications, smoking, etc) to find your particular answer.

As a means to heal bruising, you could try a homeopathic remedy called arnica montana. Arnica can be used in gel form applied directly to the injured area before bruising or to the bruise. In both cases it helps heal so the bruising improves quickly. Arnica can also be taken orally. A small group of people find arnica gel can be a bit irritating to the skin so use a little to start and see your response.

I know that doesn't give you a solid answer but it might give you somethings to consider or explore.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #7  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

Good morning all! I hope everyone has a long, relaxing weekend. School starts next week for us, so I know I have lots to do to get ready.

I am still completely uninterested in IP food... the idea of eating another packet, shake, or bar makes me vaguely ill. I couldn't finish my snack last night I was so grossed out. I am going to take the dogs to the dog park and hope that hunger overcomes my reticence by the time I return. I haven't had a quest bar in ages... so I might try one of the few I have laying around to see if it is different enough in texture/taste to get me through it.
I know this is mental, but I just can't seem to get my head back in the game after a tough week last week. My cheats were relatively minor (no carbs, just extra packets or unallowed veggies) but mentally I can't shake the fact that I very suddenly want to eat anything other than IP packets, protein, and vegetables.

Any recommendations to get out of diet fatigue? It is slightly ridiculous as I haven't even been on the diet that long, compared to some of the folk who have been plugging along for 3, 6, 12 months. I will search the boards too.

Last edited by lauran; 08-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauran View Post
I am still completely uninterested in IP food... the idea of eating another packet, shake, or bar makes me vaguely ill. I couldn't finish my snack last night I was so grossed out. I am going to take the dogs to the dog park and hope that hunger overcomes my reticence by the time I return. I haven't had a quest bar in ages... so I might try one of the few I have laying around to see if it is different enough in texture/taste to get me through it.
I know this is mental, but I just can't seem to get my head back in the game after a tough week last week. My cheats were relatively minor (removed details of cheats) but mentally I can't shake the fact that I very suddenly want to eat anything other than IP packets, protein, and vegetables.

Any recommendations to get out of diet fatigue? It is slightly ridiculous as I haven't even been on the diet that long, compared to some of the folk who have been plugging along for 3, 6, 12 months. I will search the boards too.
Many 100%ers and 50 & over folks love the Beck Diet Solution book.
Although I still don't have my copy, there is a website with ideas & past newsletters to read.
My thoughts: Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight and all the reasons to stay where you are.

Also, your self-talk probably needs to change. We have taught ourselves to "use" food as a reward, to soothe, to celebrate, etc.

Right now, we can look at our food as sustinance or for healing. Obviously there is something you want instead. Either that or ketosis is working "too well" and you just aren't hungry at all. In that case, your packets really need to be your favorite things. There are days I don't want a pink lemonade at all but I'm happy with potato puree breadsticks, (frozen) chocolate pudding, and a quest bar. There are days I don't want ANY raw veggies but I'm happy with turnip fries or mashed cauliflower. Sometimes I have to match my needs.

Some days I want NOTHING to do with chicken but a steak or a burger works well (actually, most days I don't want chicken).

To stay OP over the long-haul, we figure out a way!

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #9  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Question, I have been getting lots of bruises...?
I noticed that I bruise very easy while on IP, both in 2010 and now. They always seem to be on my arms and my legs. Mystery bruises. I also noticed that the areas with the bruising, the fat feels "looser". My mom had gastric-bypass done in January, and she is also getting mystery bruises. Perhaps it has something to do with the rapid weigh loss?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauran View Post
Good morning all! I hope everyone has a long, relaxing weekend. School starts next week for us, so I know I have lots to do to get ready.

I know this is mental, but I just can't seem to get my head back in the game after a tough week last week. My cheats were relatively minor (XXXXX) but mentally I can't shake the fact that I very suddenly want to eat anything other than IP packets, protein, and vegetables.

This diet is not for everyone, and maybe you have gotten your milage out of it. No one who is miserable on any diet is going to succeed long term. No amount of support and information can overcome that. I'd explore other types of diet plans and see what you think fits your life style and emotional need (You do want some proof it's a plan that people can achieve some level of success relative to the required commitment for sure though). Perhaps something like Jennie Craig, where there is variety, portion control and some guidance along with a level of convenience is just what you need now. If an insulin resistance issue is NOT one of your obstacles, then there are a lot more things that will probably work just as well for you and make you emotionally happier while you lose the rest of what you need or want to lose. Just be sure you phase off IP at some degree so you don't gain back as you are trying to restart something else. Best wishes.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

First weigh in back on plan, 5 pounds off! Whew! It was a challenge this week, but the effort paid off. I am so glad I did not cave in when I wanted to.
Hope everyone has a great weekend, will check in later this morning.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #12  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Happy Saturday, everyone!

My local pharmacy has Simply Bars on sale this week for $2 each. I picked up one of each to try them out, and if I like them, I will go back and get some more. I also got a coupon to save $5 if I spend $25, so it would be an even better deal if I got a few of them. I have replaced my previous snacking habit with couponing, and must say that I am quite addicted at how much money I can save!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Happy Saturday, everyone!

........ I have replaced my previous snacking habit with couponing, and must say that I am quite addicted at how much money I can save!
That's good 'cause you're going to need it for clothes!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #14  
Started IP March 2013

Good morning. Lots of good talk this am. Got on scale and small victory down 2 pounds. Skipped weigh in this week after cluster last Friday. Ordered quest bars on amazon last night for something new.

Hope we all have victories to report tonight!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

Art3mis Thanks for posting that info, I did read that here. I know the IP vit do not have iron. I do take the other supplements, not a smoker, I do have extra Vit C in the house perhaps I'll add that too. The trick for me will be to remember to take the Iron at lunch time. I have Arnica gel for the dogs I will try that too, although I have to say that homeopathic stuff hasnt helped them. Its a good thing bathing suit weather is ending, I'd be getting alot of strange looks. lol....

Lisa I feel for you with your back! You poor gal! I bet the body puts alot of energy into healing rather than shedding especially with the inflammation. 12 yrs ago I separated my SI joint and after 2 yrs of therapy, ice, heat, nothing helped. I finally tried acupuncture, one visit and it was instant relief! I was AMAZED, she used the meridians more than pressure points. I saw a different acupuncturist for a different issue and he used the pressure points, I didn't have any relief from him. Have you tried it all?
Closed Thread