Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Thank you all for the welcome back. It is good to be amongst friends who understand this journey so very well.
Ishbel- Thank you for reminding me of the self compassion and not being judgemental... I keep reading of how one should treat their own self the way they would a friend. And just as I would never tell a friend 'you're sure looking fat today' I shouldn't say such things to myself. But we are our own worst critics.
I, too have tried so many diets that involved counting calories or points and would down them early in the day telling myself I would make it up later and then of course would not keep that promise. And the promises I make to myself are just as important as the promises I make to others. In order to trust myself I need to keep my promises to myself.
And while it's all been said before it's worth saying again because there is strength in repetition also. And I'll take strength where I can get it right now
Maile- You are an excellent role model of how posting helps. Reimplementing and reinforcing good habits is high on the priority list right now. So, am writing down everything I eat on my weekly sheet and trying to check in here daily.
Mom2cs- I like your new avatar as well! Such a cute family Splitting my time between this thread, the rebooters and the daily... seeing as how I have a foot in each??...
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Friday...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #122  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi Maintenance-I-Peeps! wow - what a busy week it's been. I'm glad it's Friday night! Two days to relax and unwind. I'd forgotten how hard the 9-5 routine is! Finally got a few minutes to sit down, cup of tea in hand, and get caught up here.

Ishbel - A belated but hearty Congratulations on both your year of weight maintenance, and your birthday. You're a great example of how this can be done. Folks like you and Maille inspire me.

Scorbett - Thanks for the advice about the yogourt making. I'll be getting my thermometer tomorrow, and giving it a shot. I'll be sure to take note of what's happening temperature-wise in the crock pot around the time frames you mentioned. It would seem that if I start the heating up process about 4-5pm or so, it'll time out so that I'm allowing sufficient time for the crock pot temp to raise and then fall again to get to the point were I add the live cultures and literally 'wrap it up' for the overnight stretch at around my usual bedtime. Fingers crossed... we'll see what happens.

Wingnut - You are so right - the 'mental' is a hugh part of both the weight loss and the maintenance journey. I can't really figure out what has changed with me, but my head is in a different place this time around. For both phases. I have a strong suspicion that I wouldn't have stuck through the last plateau, and gotten to my final goal weight without the support of this forum.... I'd have problem quit earlier than what I would have ultimately felt 100% satisfied with.

Greeniris - A belated Congrats to you, too, on having your beautiful Grandaughter returned into your son's care. That whole scenario must have been gut-wrenching. I'm so glad that everything has worked out ok, and the girl has a safe and happy home now.

Cheekyskeeter- Welcome to Maintenance!

Hi to Maille, capricious, escape, beck, joysh, gazelle and Momto2cs.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Cheers for now.

P.S. Have a girlfriend coming for dinner on Sunday. Just called her and asked how she felt about sharing a pizza with me? LOL - I'm being a little selfish, as I know she looks forward to my cooking something a little more exciting when she's at my place for a meal (she doesn't cook) - but it's been soooo long since I've had pizza.... and if I buy a Dr. Oetker's pizza it's the perfect size for a splurge for 2 people. Plus I'll make a veggie-based low-cal/low-fat soup to start I think... and a nice fresh side salad. And she's bring a dessert. I think I'm going to need a P1 day on Monday! But I'm looking forward to some pizza! And this way I won't overindulge on pizza toooo much... and there won't be slices of it left over to temp me!

Last edited by evepet; 04-19-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

I hope the pizza is good. That seems like a perfect way to do it.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #124  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Hey IPeeps! I've been out for a while, it's been crazy busy around here and I haven't exactly been an IPer lately! Feel like a bit of a fish out of water since I have been GAINING weight over the past 21 weeks! Of course it is all for the good cause of baby-growing. My gain has stayed healthy but I admit to going off the good path a few times - still working on sneaking in veggies when I can as my food aversions continue on (I used to love chicken & veggies!).

I am still running 15 mi/week (down from 25) and weightlifting 2-3x/week. I dropped from my running group as they got too fast for me!!! I do the dreadmill at ~11min/mi with a 2 minute walk/water stop every 20 minutes. I monitor my heartrate throughout. Still feel fantastic and have had no back problems so far, even with the almost ~20lb weight gain to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Today is my birthday! AND....today is one year that I met my goal and this morning I weighed in 4 lbs below goal. I'm pretty stoked!!! I really enjoyed meeting my goal on my birthday...but now my milestone is on my birthday which makes me look forward to my birthday HAHAHA (I did whine that I felt old today ) I bought myself a goal ring when I hit goal....I think this one year milestone will be new cross country skis which will touch my wallet :/ but it's health related and I love to do it so I know I will use them. In fact, I've told enough people that I started getting money from my family towards new skis because I want them so badly.

I'm excited that this is considered long term weight loss. I talked to my coach last week, she said that I may not have started 'maintenance' for a month but that I started the stabilzation part of the diet after meeting goal that this is my one year anniversary. So I'll take that and run!
ISHBEL!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERBIRTHDAY!

Last edited by LizRR; 04-19-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #125  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Lizr: I think that baby is growing!!! You are staying fit and healthy. How many more months until the baby is due? Pregnancy does weird things..I did not find many aversions, just lots of cravings of unhealthy food,,LOL.

Evepet: That pizza night sound good with that soup. I still love pizza.

Ishbel: too cute about the pink celebration! As I maintain, I also feel that self compassion is important, especially during the up pounds times.

Cap: tracking and posting will keep you focused and on track. Hope today goes well for you. I like this quote:
“Confidence is the result of hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication.” ~ Roger Staubach

I had the pinch test yesterday at my gym. I have lost 6 pounds of fat..My Body Composition is down 2 Percent and is 21.5 which is optimal for my age. I have a normal BMI.The trainer told me that I have most certainly gained muscle weight. I have decided to change my goal weight to 130.
All of my clothes fit and I am in my range.

Have a great weekend everyone. We have rain and more rain.

Last edited by Maile; 04-20-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #126  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Saturday all!

Ishbel - congrats on your maintenance anniversary and happy birthday! What a fantastic accomplishment!

Greeniris - I am so happy for your family! Change is always a bit challenging, but I'm sure you will work through that and it sounds like this is best for your granddaughter. I love having my 3 grandsons nearby and seeing them often.

Evepet - enjoy your pizza! Good strategy to avoid leftovers!

LizRR - good to hear you are doing well. I have wondered how you and the baby are doing.

Good week so far. I don't officially weigh until tomorrow, but looks like I'll be down again, so moving closer to the bottom of my range and feeling like I made the right decision to just do my usual routine after my little gain from vacation.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

LizR- so happy for you that your pregnancy is going well It can be such a hard time physically and you are doing wonderfully in focusing on exercising and getting in what veggies you can... It's funny but I've noticed that things I ate during each pregnancy tend to be the favourites of each child... with my first there was decided cravings for ice cream and it is my eldest child's favourite thing by far... with my last I ate tons of greek salad and that little guy loves his veggies...
Maile- thank you for the quote. It is so very true. I remind myself too that I need to be patient with this process. 21.5 is excellent! Wow!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #128  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Capricious - I think I remember you from when I began IP early last summer. It IS hard to come back and admit how far off course we've gotten, but you did it and know now that we are all here for you. Maile & Ishbel are awesome mentors to us newer maintainers, and because of them I firmly believe that staying connected with 3FC is a must to achieve long-term success (for me at least). As for which threads you 'belong' on - wherever you feel the most comfortable and supported. For me that is here and on the Fab 50's. Occasionally I read/post on some of the others, but not often. I wish you the best!

cheeky - Yay! You made it

Ishbel - Love reading your reflections & insights on the hows & whys, etc. I've learned so much from you, and I thank you for that. One of the things I'm working on is self-compassion... I think that's a tough one for most of us, but not insurmountable.

If you get too far below your goal weight, that dress might have to be taken in a bit! LOL

Molly - Hope your trip goes smoothly. FYI - there is a lot of flooding in the southern part of MI right now. Sounds like they got a tremendous amount of rain this week, but woke up to a bit of snow again this morning.

cscape - You did great losing the 70! Truly the hardest part of losing weight is keeping it off long-term. I too regained about 15 a short time ago. Now back on P1 and am down 6.5 so far.

evepet - Love your plan of inviting a gf over for pizza to ensure there are no leftovers!

LizRR - Great to hear from you! Sounds like you're doing really well, considering the food aversions. Am glad your back problems haven't resurfaced.

Nothing much to report here. Brought home a LOT of veggies last night so have more variety available. So anxious for spring weather - the garden seedlings have taken over in the house! Planning a laid-back kind of weekend...

EDIT - Maile, we must have posted at the same time. Awesome body composition/BMI! You've worked hard and I'm thrilled for you!

Last edited by greeniris; 04-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Hi All-
Checking after a long hiatus from posting
We are in Argentina on a two-week vacation. The first week we spent in Buenos Aires and we are now Mendoza which is in the wine country at the foot of the Andes, so beautiful!
Our vacation, though, hasn't gone as planned as the FIRST DAY I broke my foot! Had to spent two more days completely off it and now have a walking cast and crutches. Needless to say, we had to make some adjustments in what we are doing but still having a great time. My husband will be hiking the Andes and biking by himself while I hang out here in town.
The wine is fabulous. Tonight we are attending a very special dinner given by a world-renowned chef at a winery. Here's a link and check out the menu:

http://www.chefmun.com/chef-mun/

Needless to say there will be some major Phase 1 going on when I return but in the meantime Im having a great time.

Barbara
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #130  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone! Happy Saturday! This is my second weekend in a row to stay home in my little town. Yesterday I went to Shreveport (an hour away) on school business and then stayed until the evening. I can't seem to keep myself away from trying on clothes in stores, even if I don't buy a lot. I bought one pair of summer off-white slacks that I can wear to work or for "dressing up." It's so much fun to try on different clothes and styles and see what my new style is!! So much of my life I bought a limited style - what fit! Now I have so many choices!

Did anyone else have that experience after reaching your goal? It's become my favorite form of entertainment. I thought of going to a movie, but decided to hit more stores instead!

Phase 3 breakfasts are going well. Today marks the beginning of the second week for P3. Next weekend (or after the weekend, I think, since I'm traveling next weekend) I'll begin P4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Joysh: glad to hear you are enjoying P3. It is definitely a fun adjustment to get those breakfasts. I still eat mainly P3 style breakfasts although I’ve decreased the portions a bit.
Kitkat, It's good to know I can keep eating these breakfasts. It will be fine to decrease the amounts. I get really full after breakfast right now, but know I need to jumpstart my system back into working.

It's always hard to leave a job that you've been in for a while and have done well at. I know they'll miss you. But the new person will be ok. He'll learn and you'll move on to other things. You've given your knowledge, skill, and energy and now will move on to shine in a new place!!

Evepet, What a great idea about the pizza!! I love pizza but it's one of those foods that I'm not sure how I'll trust myself with. I think eating it WITH someone and not having any leftovers might be the solution for me, too. Great idea!!!

Capricious, I think I also remember you from early summer! You'll take care of this because you know how to.

Cindy, I agree with you about staying on 3fC through maintenance. I know I need the support and the group conversation. Cindy, I know you are so relieved and happy to have your DG nearby. Enjoy it! I travel 4 hours to see my sweet twins. It's a journey of love every time! The others are much farther and that's hard.

cheeky - Congrats!

Ishbel Sounds like you had a great birthday!

Molly Be careful on your trip!

LizRR Love the newest pics of your baby belly!!

Maile, wow on the body composition!!!

Mamazu, Wow! Argentina!!! Enjoy every moment! It sounds wonderful!! Sorry about your foot, but you'll still have a great time!

Have a great day, Ipeeps!!

BTW, the family member who I am coaching (no IP clinic near her at all) has been OP for 6 weeks and has lost 24 pounds!! She's thrilled, and I am too!!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Well I'm another oldie checking in. I am now up 15 pounds, 5 instently in phase 3, 5 with Christmas and 5 more with a Paleo "challenge".
I am hitting phase 1 again as none of my summer clothes will fit if it ever stops snowing here.

So glad to see so many people here with such excellent advice. After my Paleo venture I am actually looking forward to phase 1. I so missed my protein/ spinach shake for breakfast.

Great advice from mom2 about eating only what you really like, That means very few of the pkgs for me this time as I really burned out on them the first time through and my long winter of discontent after. But there is lots of good things I can make with my preferred brand of protein powder. I sent an order to Nashua for my favorite things, the oatmeal for my rhubarb dish and blueberry pancakes.
Maile and Liz, I am so impressed with how you stay on track with the exercise and others too who stay on track long term.

Cap, hopefully we will be able to get out soon in dryer snow free areas.I drive by the National Park everyday and so want to get back to walking there ( and trying not to startle the bison!)
Iris I have been following your battle this winter and and so glad you got back on track as I have been going through the same thing. Also you must be very relieved that your grand daughter is in a safer place.

I had not been posting on this thread because I have not been doing well with maintaining. But this is where the expert advice is so I know you won't mind if I rejoin you here. I didn't mention everyone but you all are such important role models with your calm steady approach to maintaining your healthy life style.

After my venture into Paleo I realize that what is important is what works for us as individuals. So many people who regain blame it on not phasing off properly. That is important but what is more important is monitoring what works for us. For me I realize now I will have to following a phase 2 type plan for at least 90% of my week.
With the stress I experienced giving up my protein/spinach shake with my long early morning commute I know that is not a bad thing at all. My ancestors didn't have protein powder. They also didn't get up at the crack of dawn and drive over an hour before their workday began either.

Pat
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #132  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
After my venture into Paleo I realize that what is important is what works for us as individuals. So many people who regain blame it on not phasing off properly. That is important but what is more important is monitoring what works for us. For me I realize now I will have to following a phase 2 type plan for at least 90% of my week.
With the stress I experienced giving up my protein/spinach shake with my long early morning commute I know that is not a bad thing at all. My ancestors didn't have protein powder. They also didn't get up at the crack of dawn and drive over an hour before their workday began either.

Pat
Welcome back!! You are so right - it's one of the biggest challenges of maintenance, finding what works for us individually! I tried following the IP recommendations strictly at first, but for me what works is more of a weight-watchers style menu, with lower carbs at lunch and lower fats at dinner. My snacks do not always follow the fat/carb separation rule but I try to have at least one snack that is strictly a veggie or a fruit. Calorie counting and balancing my fat/carb/protein intake over the whole day seems to work best.

Good luck on your reboot and figuring out your maintenance plan!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Hey pat! Nice to see you back. I definitely think posting and reading the forums helps keep you on track.

My PN program continues to be good. The "rules" include eating veggies and protein for every snack or meal, with some good fats. Carbs are only post workout. I have started having a bit of fruit and some higher carb veggies more often and it has not impacted my weight. I had to do progress pictures today and since January I have lost 10 inches. And I look better and feel stronger.

Maile-that is an excellent bodyfat. Clearly you are doing things right!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #134  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Welcome back!! You are so right - it's one of the biggest challenges of maintenance, finding what works for us individually! I tried following the IP recommendations strictly at first, but for me what works is more of a weight-watchers style menu, with lower carbs at lunch and lower fats at dinner. My snacks do not always follow the fat/carb separation rule but I try to have at least one snack that is strictly a veggie or a fruit. Calorie counting and balancing my fat/carb/protein intake over the whole day seems to work best.

Good luck on your reboot and figuring out your maintenance plan!
HI,
I'm starting phase 4 on tuesday, just thinking about what you said about
figuring out what works for each person personally.
I'm alittle scared to change anything, p3 is great! No cravings and staying
pretty much the same weight. How much different did you feel p4 was when
you started?

Thanks for any advice from any of you here in the Maintainers
thread, I really appreciate it!!!

D
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #135  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Molly - Hope your trip goes smoothly. FYI - there is a lot of flooding in the southern part of MI right now. Sounds like they got a tremendous amount of rain this week, but woke up to a bit of snow again this morning.
Cindy and others following my traveling. I messed us up. I forgot (lose track of what day of the week it is being retired) and did not get to the office for vehicle registration. We will be gone when they are due, so I was going to do that. Now, we have to wait to leave until after I go on Monday morning. Bah humbug. Sooooooooo mad at myself as that puts us into possibly some bad weather on the last couple hundred miles of our trip on Tuesday. More rain and that doesn't sound good as Cindy was warning me about flooding down state Michigan.

Good to hear from Lizzr, Mama Zu and Patns. We miss you, and please, never be ashamed to join us. No one is perfect. Like pilots are always flying correcting the path they take, some times little corrections, some times big, we will all be doing the same on our journey and there's nothing wrong with it.

I am challenged right now with having cleaned out the refrigerator to not have perishable things that will either need to be taken or thrown out (gasp, I hate to waste). Adding another days worth of meals is tough. I did go to the store and picked up more asparagus for tonight. Tomorrow will be leftover salad. I'm out of bread for toast in the morning and finished my last lo-carb wrap. Seems like, my eating choices aren't as good right now as they should be trying to eat up stuff. I am ready to travel and get up to our place up in Michigan and get settled up there.

Okay, sorry about the me post. Just frustrated having been the one to AGAIN postpone our travels. Though one thing, I do prefer to NOT travel on the weekends, so there is one good thing about my mistake.

Molly
Closed Thread