Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ladies,
It's been ages since I checked in....so much life from a great tour (I'm a musician) to unimaginable loss upon return, to health issues....OY!!!!
Life is full of curve balls is my understatement for this month and last, but I thought it best to get back online and check in before I fall off the wagon too badly.
I haven't weighed in, but wearing the same clothes. However my weight has shifted back to the middle and arms again...so here we go again. Time for exercise.
Good to be back and I'll check in more regularly. Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #287  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Suunymae: I am married to a musician and my sons are musicians. I am glad you had a great tour..but am sorry about the facing health issues. This is the hardest part..when you cannot do the normal things due to life getting in the way..health or otherwise.

You are wise to check in. I hope your health issues improve. I also gain in the middle!

Good luck.

Scorbette: 3 hours of zumba is amazing. Did you find any results from those sore muscles? I have changed my weights and have sore muscles also, I am figuring they will go away but am watching the scale. How fun to win a spa visit and a fitbit.

Last edited by Maile; 05-15-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #288  
Maile

Ishbel: I think you have made excellent gains. You are figuring out how a fun day works for you. Your indulgence now is not what you used to do in the past. This is an great sign of growth and strength.

You are so right to be compassionate with yourself. The longer I maintain, the more I try to be compassionate with myself during the periods where my motivation is not optimum or I am working on up pounds.

I know that old self is lurking somewhere..and needs to be managed!

Last edited by Maile; 05-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #289  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I was so sorry to hear about your mom. What a difficult time for you tied in with your moving. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs.

I had to laugh at your belts and pants. I am still wearing a pair of green leggings that would fall off without a belt. I should get a smaller size, but I like the color. I hope you find a pair that fits you.

If you increase your fat intake, that could stop the pounds going down. I went through a stressful period also and got too low. Do you like avocados or peanut sauce? My cholesterol was fine even though I have added more fat to my diet.
I actually was window shopping today, not planning to do any real shopping, and just on a whim stepped into the local Gap to check out the jeans. Ironically, I had never even been into one of their stores. They go by waist size so I had no idea what I was looking for. A salesperson pulled out some 28 and 29 sizes and I thought, "No way are these going to fit!" Even in the past when I was thin I don't think I ever wore smaller than a 29. Well, they didn't fit. Neither size. I actually needed the 27. A little sizing chart they had showed it equivalent to a size 4. I still can't get over it. I think this is one of the most exciting parts of the whole IP process for me. I can get rid of my larger jeans and actually have a pair of jeans that fit!

I have been eating avocados and putting more oil on my salads. I also made a burger and grilled steak for my last few dinners and had pulled pork tonight. Oh, and red wine is back in my diet. I think it's going to be a balancing act for awhile determining the right mix of everything. I still haven't had a baked potato nor any grains outside of the bread with breakfast nor any fruit at other meals. I made an appointment for a full physical this Friday and to have my blood work redone. Hopefully this time they're do a complete panel. With all the stress I want to make sure I'm doing what I can to stay healthy. By now I had hoped to roll more exercise into my routine, but I keep making excuses. Time to get back on track with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
bubbleblower I need to send you another hug...so ...as for fun day, mine are just relaxing on the rules I actually avoid quite a few things, I had some chocolate this weekend and it was a square off a caramel bar....VIP brought me a small slurpee and I drank half of it and dumped the other half.

In fact I spent some time reflecting yesterday again. I really felt my fun day was overboard...I even commented to the VIP "I don't know what's wrong with me"...so then yesterday I was doing some gentle self talk "ok, so yesterday wasn't the norm, you won't gain it all back because you aren't doing that everyday and you're balancing it out". I was greatly surprised that the 'old' Ishbel came out...almost out the blue (if you know what I mean). I think it's ok that she came out as long as it's not every weekend. THEN today I re-thought all of yesterdays reflections and realized that perhaps it wasn't as bad as I thought (like really...a square of a chocolate bar - not that I was upset that I ate it but I ate more mozza cheese instead lol). Maybe it was a lot for me NOW not for me 2.5 years ago. Does that make sense?

Anyway, lots of time thinking to myself and trying to have some self compassion and reminding myself that I'm "normal" lol
Thanks for the extra hug. I think everything you're going through is completely normal. It's funny how I still can't quite believe the number on the scale and each morning expect to see it disappear. I know that what I consider a splurge these days pales in comparison to the old me. And in the 'old days' it would have been unheard of for me to not finish the whole thing of anything!

Thanks again, everyone, for the kind words re: my mom. She was a special friend and I will miss her for a long, long time. I try to find comfort in the belief that she is now back with her parents, my dad, and my sister.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #290  
Maile

Bubbleblower, That was so exciting to fit a size 4 pair of jeans. It sounds like you have figured out your eating and that it is working. It is a balancing act and
a journey of discovery.
I found comfort in believing that my dad's suffering had ended and that he was in peace. Your mom sounded like a wonderful friend as well as mother for you. Hugs.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #291  
Started IP 12/6/12

I'm finally catching up on some old posts ...

Quote:
Here is an interesting blog that got me thinking.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

… just another fancy term for a lifelong diet?

I have to admit that this possible misconception had crossed my mind a couple of times in the past. Especially after returning to old habits at the end of a strict, depriving diet. And seeing the pounds returning as well. The idea of a lifelong diet seemed like the only – dreadful! – solution at times like that. But I hadn’t really given it much thought until recently.

I was reading an article here. To be honest, I really don’t remember the exact subject because the thing that really caught my attention was the first comment right under the article. A woman insisted that what she learned, was not a lifestyle change but simply how to maintain her weight by being constantly on a diet, by saying “no” to all “forbidden” foods and by being in a never-ending workout frenzy in order to keep her body in a considerably fit state! It made me think…

Could she be right?

Could we be fooling ourselves here?

Are we in a constant dieting procedure that we have hidden behind the comforting and guilt-free term “lifestyle change”?

Could we?

I had to give it some serious thought and find my own personal answer . My adult life consists of three different eating patterns. In the past it was either “on a diet” or “off a diet”. And then I lost weight and committed myself to a “lifestyle change”. So, let’s see how they differ…

* DIET*

Meals:
Strict, following a program that someone else had made for me and not according to what I’d like to eat on a specific day. ALWAYS low-calorie, low-fat and lacking taste and variety.
Sweets and treats:
Out-of-the-question! Forbidden! Even the thought of them could make the scale go up!
Nutritional knowledge and awareness:
Limited and mistakenly oriented to fat percentage. Food was either fattening or not. Who cares about nutritional values…
Exercise:
A weight loss tool, used occasionally to help the scale move a bit faster. “Does it burn calories? Then I’ll do it!”
Weight maintenance:
Weeks, Months, never actually made it to a full year…

*OFF-DIET*

Meals:
Anything, anytime, anywhere! I’m not on a diet anymore! Woohoo!
Sweets and treats:
See “meals” above. Woohoo twice!!!
If it tastes good, it’s good for me! We said it: I’m not on a diet anymore!
Exercise:
Well, I walk when I have the chance. I mean, I like exercise but why should I do it? I’m not trying to lose weight.
Weight maintenance:
…Hmmm… Now, where did I put that scale?...

*LIFESTYLE CHANGE*

Meals:
Balanced, planned by me according to my desire and taste.
Sweets and treats:
Occasional and in moderation. Enjoying food is part of life, after all.
Much more than ever before. I always read nutritional labels and I watch my daily intake of most important food categories.
Exercise:
Way of life. Something that helps me feel strong and healthy and not just a weight loss assisting tool.
Weight maintenance:
I have been in the lowest weight range of my life for a little more than a year. And counting…

In short, the answer is NO! This “lifestyle change” that there’s so much fuss over it , is NOT a life-long diet. It’s not a diet at all. And it’s not the “eat-everything-I want” way of living, either. It’s the safe road in between. It’s about learning to enjoy food in your own terms, the ones that can help you maintain a healthy body that you feel good in.

And if we compare it to the “off-diet” state, or to a mentality of eating everything in sight, then, yes, it might look like a diet. But is this the way we want to live? Treating our stomach like a trash can? Saying yes to all the zero-quality products that the food industry has to offer? And calling every other way of eating a “diet”?

No! The “D” word was taken out of my vocabulary. It got replaced with words like moderation, balance, real food. I have learned that there are many more labels for food than just good and bad, fattening and not.

I learned how to stop dieting. Once and for all.

I made food my friend, not a foe.
I loved this blog, and it's oh so very true. I feel like I've permanently changed the way I eat and the way I view food. I don't feel like I'm on a forever diet, but rather have adjusted to a healthier lifestyle. Just like everything else we manage throughout our lives, eating and food management is a matter of balance. I don't feel deprived in the least and am just much more conscious about what I choose to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck81 View Post
Weird thing happened to me today. Came back from having lunch at Subway and it was cold outside. My fingers turned a yellow color looking almost dead and my fingers went numb. It lasted maybe a half hour. Doing a little googling and a Doctor visit and it sounds like Raynauds disease. My hands and feet have been cold throughout this whole diet. The Dr did some blood tests that I'll find out Monday on. Anyone familiar with Raynauds? It was scary. I have also had slight headaches lately that I don't usually have. Have been drinking some coffee in the mornings.
Thanks.
I have Raynauds also. It was worse when I was on IP but it's a bit better lately. I'm glad it's finally starting to warm up around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas812 View Post
This afternoon I needed a snack after working out in the garden. Spent almost 15 minutes debating whether to have a granola bar or not, and once I decided I would, which of the 3 different options (again, from hubbies snack drawer) to have! Finally decided on a Kind dark chocolate cherry cashew. It was quite good. Since I had the granola bar at snack time, will not have carbs with dinner.
I do this, too! One of the biggest changes for me is that I used to grab the first thing I could find when I was hungry. Now I think about the choices and actually take the time I need to prepare it if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
I think for me the biggest change is I still eat my P3 breakfasts and my body is using the food properly. I never ever ate breakfast before except occasionally going out on the weekends for brunch with my hubby. I pretty much have been eating whatever I want just in moderation. I still track everything I eat and I haven't been going crazy but I'm happy that I don't seem to have to be as vigilante about things as I thought I'd have to be. I do still breath a sigh of relief every morning when I step on the scale. I hope that fear goes away at some point. I think I keep expecting to put all the weight back on overnight which I know is silly.
I feel the same about the P3 breakfasts. I really feel they help to start the day off right and help to keep me on track throughout. And I have that same exact sense of fear every morning!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #292  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
I was hoping to start running again now that I'm in maintenance but I suffer with severe psoriasis on my hands and feet and at the moment my feet are horrendous. Thankfully the weather has been so nice I'm able to wear sandals and flipflops as I can't take anything touching my heels right now. Unfortunately it looks like are summer like weather is going to change in the next couple of days so I may have to suffer through wearing 'real' shoes for a bit.
Several in my family have suffered from severe psoriasis throughout their lives. One brother commented to me last week that his has been much better since he started taking folic acid. Neither he nor I know whether it's related at all, but he thought it was interesting that the timing coincided. Might be worth checking out, and it can't hurt! Hope it eases up soon!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #293  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Bubbleblower - that is awesome about the sz 4s! Congratulations!!

Scorbett - 3 hours of zumba??? Wow, that is impressive! And congrats on winning some great prizes!

Sunnymae - welcome back! I'm sorry to hear you're having health issues. Hope it's something that can be resolved easily.

I had my first (annual) physical in more than 3 years (lost my insurance over 3 yrs ago) this morning, and the doc was thrilled with where I'm at right now! Technically, I'm no longer diabetic (or even pre-diabetic) p/the blood work results. Cholesterol #s are great, BP is right where it should be - whooo hooo!!! Still struggling with hot flashes/cold flashes/sleep & memory problems - probably all due to menopause. He suggested I try black cohosh for a month to see if it helps.

Happy hump day!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #294  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Greeniris YAY for awesome bloodwork. I was pre-diabetic and when the doc cleared me I had a HUGE HUGE grin on my face. WAY TO GO!

maile I agree, I no longer binge...although when I first started maintenance I can safely say my first month of maintenance fun days would be considered binging.

sunnymae welcome back!

Liz if you're out there...

++++++++++

Made liz's mac and cheese recipe and used tofu noodles instead of miracle (just a mistake in purchasing) added ricotta (another mistake and just added it)....the VIP just texted me "lunch was amazing" - usually I get "It's good/great or I'd eat that again" I've never had 'amazing' lol So I phoned him and said "so those were tofu noodles" LMAO! He said they were 'really great, glad you made double so I can have it again tomorrow'.

We've noticed that we haven't been eating red meat a lot and I have a few friends who eat like we do (although not from Ideal Protein) who have warned me "careful with the red meat, you'll be on iron pills like me". SO, I think we're having steak on Friday (looking forward to that) and I realized I can make the big mac bowl and use real thousand island dressing. I found a little recipe for minute steaks and bok choy. Anyone else have favorites?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #295  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post

++++++++++

Made liz's mac and cheese recipe and used tofu noodles instead of miracle (just a mistake in purchasing) added ricotta (another mistake and just added it)....the VIP just texted me "lunch was amazing" - usually I get "It's good/great or I'd eat that again" I've never had 'amazing' lol So I phoned him and said "so those were tofu noodles" LMAO! He said they were 'really great, glad you made double so I can have it again tomorrow'.

We've noticed that we haven't been eating red meat a lot and I have a few friends who eat like we do (although not from Ideal Protein) who have warned me "careful with the red meat, you'll be on iron pills like me". SO, I think we're having steak on Friday (looking forward to that) and I realized I can make the big mac bowl and use real thousand island dressing. I found a little recipe for minute steaks and bok choy. Anyone else have favorites?
I'm a big fan of "cook once, eat three times" So I will make a decent sized beef roast (trimmed of all visible fat) in the crockpot. I rub it with a mixture of chili powder, cumin, thyme and sea salt, put it in the crock with 1 cup water and 1 cup old coffee, and let it do it's thing on low for about 6 hours. We have beef roast for dinner that night, then I slice up the rest and either freeze it or store it in the fridge. Some of it will be put on a salad with some asparagus and tomato, then the last third will be cut into strips and tossed into a stir fry.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #296  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Several in my family have suffered from severe psoriasis throughout their lives. One brother commented to me last week that his has been much better since he started taking folic acid. Neither he nor I know whether it's related at all, but he thought it was interesting that the timing coincided. Might be worth checking out, and it can't hurt! Hope it eases up soon!
It definitely can't hurt and I'm willing to try ANYTHING. I'm going to look into it.

Bubbleblower size 4s are awesome! I've been mainly wearing size 6s but a few pairs of pants I've had to go to a 4 as well. Feels nice to be in a single digit instead of my old 14s+.

Mac and cheese?? I'm going to have to search for that recipe....I used to love mac and cheese. My hubby made a pasta last night with some sausage and shrimp....it was delicious.

I haven't been having any real 'fun days'. I have been sticking to my P3 breakfasts and then just eat fairly light lunches and dinners. I've been having a sandwich for lunch with some veggies on the side (still LOVE cucumbers) and then for dinner it's usually pasta or chicken/steak with veggies and sometimes rice. We do go out at least once a week sometimes twice depending on hubby's shiftwork but I don't go crazy with my eating. I have twice gone for sushi where I did feel quite bloated after and was worried about the scale which did show slightly higher the next day but it all seems to go back down within a day or two. I track everything on an app on my phone...think it's called MyNetDiary. I have been exercising a bit and doing a ton of yardwork so that probably helps keep things stable.

So I had a bit of a NSV this morning. I went to my Doctor's office as she's been wanting to run bloodwork for a couple of months now (and I kept forgetting to go in and do it). Well the nurse there has always been a bit....what's the word....nasty to me (and everyone else for that matter). I've been going there for about 17 years and have never had her say a nice word to me. Well this morning I walked in and when I went up to her to say why I was here she said 'oh my gawd you've lost a ton of weight'. I smiled and said I know (which is my standard answer). She asked me a ton of questions and kept saying how fantastic I look and making sure that I wasn't planning on losing any more. It's nice to be at a weight where people think I'll be TOO skinny if I lose any more. I haven't been in that situation since I was in my teens. Feels awesome. I have to admit I am looking particularly good today lol as I'm wearing a new outfit and high heeled sandals which is something I would never have worn before. Her comments have put an even bigger spring in my step. Start of a great day! I'm heading over to a big shoe sale that's being held at the fairgrounds....see if I can't get myself a few more pairs of sexy shoes.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #297  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Cheeky skeeter
We must be about the same size. I also am usually a 6, occasionally a 4.
I have tried in the past to really get to a size 4, but generally I find I am too tall for the clothes!

On days I feel "big" I look back at my size 12 pants and try to remind myself where I could be.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #298  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

I find the same thing...I fit in 4s but when they're full length pants they seem too short. Capris are good though! And....like you said looking back at my old pants I'm just fine in my 6s.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #299  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:

Scorbette: 3 hours of zumba is amazing. Did you find any results from those sore muscles? I have changed my weights and have sore muscles also, I am figuring they will go away but am watching the scale. How fun to win a spa visit and a fitbit.
I somehow totally missed this earlier in the week! I was not nearly as sore as I had expected, but I was definitely feeling it in my legs and my knees the next morning. I was a dancer when I was younger so I ALWAYS stretch for 15-20 minutes after any exercise, I think that helps keep some of the soreness at bay. The scale was up a bit this week but I'm still in my range and my clothes don't feel any different. I am honestly more excited about the Fitbit than the spa gift card! I've been wearing it every day and it's a great tool for gauging whether I'm moving enough. Plus I love that it syncs up with My Fitness Pal.

It's official, lunch and I are not friends. I can come up with a thousand things for breakfast and dinner, but for some reason lunch always stumps me. I don't mind salads but after a while I want something different and I just can't seem to get a handle on what to do. I think I just need to get back on the meal planning bandwagon (I used to plan a week at a time) and get ahead of my brain on this one.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #300  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Scorbett
I stuck with my ip soup, veggies and a salad for lunch for a long time. Too much planning!

I now try to make enough dinner that I have a small serving without carbs for lunch (usually 3 oz protein and whatever veggies we had). I still have a salad with cucumber and 1/4 avocado every day.

I find a really tough workout will give me a scale up of a couple of pounds. I know it's water as the same couple drop if I take a day or 2 off from the gym.

I mainly focus on my fluctuation point. I like to stay in the 145-150 range. Either end has no real bearing on my clothes or appearance.
Closed Thread