Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #61  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Yesmyqueen, you need a new February picture!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #62  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Good Day to all my fellow Fab 50+ers.

Joysh - now that's handy, having a SIL who's a professional photographer! I'm looking forward to seeing your new pix.

Jampooh - Hi Again! Good to see you.. don't be a stranger!

Lisa, Alison, JustSue - ITA about consignment shops, etc. Picked up a really cute little windbreaker-type jacket just a week ago at my local GoodWill shop. I go in periodically when I'm in the area and wander around... I don't always find what I originally think I'm looking for, but almost always come out with something.

HalfAgain - Good to see that you noticed my post about my leptin studies. I'd forgotten exactly who had expressed interest back then. Yes, it's not what I call a 'relax' read. But it is worth the time, just to understand how all our hormones inter-relate and work to balance our hunger/satiety... not to mention how the better known hormones like insulin, thyroid, cortisol, etc. come into play and affect weight gain/loss/maintenance.

YesMyQueen - Another lb down! Way to Go! BTW - agree with Fishette.... you need a new pix!

-------

I'm a happy camper this am, because I've finally slipped down into the 140s! Hoorah! I've now truly achieved my goal. And just in time for my annual checkup with my Dr. next week. LOL. She'll be surprised. It's been 20 yrs since I was this small.. several times I've gotten myself down into the 170s since then, but I generally accepted that as 'good enough' and settled at that point. I credit the support here for giving me the persistence and motivation I needed to keep on working towards my ultimate weight loss goal and getting to where I truly wanted to be. Thank You to each of you for helping me achieve my goal here.

Hope everyone has a great day. Cheers for now.

Last edited by evepet; 03-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #63  

Oh evepet, that's wonderful!
My lowest is 175 but I'm not stopping there, either!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #64  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Thought for the day from Beck Diet Solutions

A mistake is just a mistake and every time you make one, you ALWAYS have the option to turn yourself around immediately. This weekend, if you get off track, make the decision to put it behind you and get right back on track. Monday morning you will be so happy you did!

Been busy with figuring out the maintenance thing, listing things on eBay, and all those other miscellaneous things that take up your time.

I agree with the thrift store shopping. Even though I'm in the country, we have a local thrift/charity store. They have the nicest things and cheap, cheap cheap. Pants and tops $3, jackets $4 and yesterday tops were BOGO. I got 5 for me and one for DH. Last week 2 jackets. I've found 5 or 6 pairs of jeans. Some I've outgrown. They are only open a few days a week, so I go on opening day. Yesterday it was mobbed.

Anyway, maintenance is working for me somehow. I weighed this AM and was 172.4, my lowest yet. Earlier this week, I was back up to 175.2, but it's leveled off again. I'm slowly adding more carbs to my carb meal. I'm not a big cheese, nut or avocado eater so the fats are a struggle. I guess if I track and focus on being somewhat balanced, I'll survive. The big thing, I can live with this. I don't feel deprived at all. Most things DH likes. There are a few he'd rather not have though. I'll keep looking for recipes and experimenting.

Congrats to all with the lbs dropping like they want. Even a little is in the right direction. You'll make it. If I can, anyone can.

Have a good day.
Molly
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #65  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Oh evepet, that's wonderful!
My lowest is 175 but I'm not stopping there, either!
Thanks Lisa. There have definitely been moments in this 'diet journey' when I've been tempted to 'settle'... but I would read of others here who were determined to work towards the goal they really wanted... and I'd see how happy and proud they were. It made me realize that I could do it too. I'm very, very happy that I stuck it out and made it happen. Just another -2 lbs or so for that 'cushion' I need for glycogen regain ... then I'm phasing off. And even better, is the fact that I definitely have a different mind set this time with the weight loss - I know that I have the tools to keep it off this time around. And I'll be continuing to hang out here at 3Fatchicks to help keep others motivated, and help me keep my head straight.

Molly - So glad to hear that maintenance is going well for you. Sharing everyone's experiences in maintenance adds to my faith that I can do it too. This forum is such a blessing!

Last edited by evepet; 03-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #66  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSue View Post
Hi, all. I am new to 3FC and find you all inspirational. I joined IP in Jan 2013. So far, in 8 weeks, I have lost 28 pounds and 18 inches!!! It has been than 15 years since I have weighed less than 200 lbs! Financially I am only going to be able to continue another 4 weeks. I am terrified of regaining the weight. Question: Do you find the Paleo diet compatible with Phase 4?
Thank you!!!

P.S. I do plan to return to Phase 1 in a couple months, but plan to use alternative products.
A belated WELCOME! Glad you're doing so well. Just a word to the wise...it is much more difficult to do P1 the second time around. If at all possible, I strongly recommend you just keep going now. I did most of my P1 on alternatives, switching mid-stream. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
I had my WI yesterday and I'm 1 pound away from my goal, but I think I'm going to stay on P1 for another week. I really want to be just a little lower than my goal before I phase off - but it will be very, very soon!
WOW!! Look at your new avatar! You're so very close now!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampooh View Post
Still here and plugging away. Progress continues, just have not checked site or posted. Good to see everyone is doing well.
Hey neighbor! I've missed your posts. Hope all is well with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
...forgot to post on Tuesday that I lost 1.2 pounds - small loss but I'll take it! : ) My blood pressure was fairly low so maybe I will be able to cut back more or go off next week after I see my doctor.
Another great loss! And really good news about your BP dropping! The dr will be very happy with your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSue View Post
Hi everybody,
I just got back from WI and am down 3.6 pounds. Now at 31 pounds gone!!! My coach is great and really listened to all the struggles I have had. I have not cheated, but have not been drinking my water, not taking my vitamins, not eating enough vegies... We are seriously talking about phasing out this month. I did not know you can still lose weight on phase 4!
Great progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesmyqueen View Post
Hi all, looks like everyone is doing great, I was down another 1 lb, slowly coming off.
Whoo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I'm a happy camper this am, because I've finally slipped down into the 140s! Hoorah! I've now truly achieved my goal. And just in time for my annual checkup with my Dr. next week. LOL. She'll be surprised. It's been 20 yrs since I was this small.. several times I've gotten myself down into the 170s since then, but I generally accepted that as 'good enough' and settled at that point. I credit the support here for giving me the persistence and motivation I needed to keep on working towards my ultimate weight loss goal and getting to where I truly wanted to be. Thank You to each of you for helping me achieve my goal here.
GOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!! lol. Congratulations! Evepet - we all help each other...You've been a tremendous support for me these last few months, and I thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Anyway, maintenance is working for me somehow. I weighed this AM and was 172.4, my lowest yet. Earlier this week, I was back up to 175.2, but it's leveled off again. I'm slowly adding more carbs to my carb meal. I'm not a big cheese, nut or avocado eater so the fats are a struggle. I guess if I track and focus on being somewhat balanced, I'll survive. The big thing, I can live with this. I don't feel deprived at all. Most things DH likes. There are a few he'd rather not have though. I'll keep looking for recipes and experimenting.
Molly - you are going to ROCK maintenance! I'm discovering that my VIP isn't going to be satisfied with most of the meals I'll be able to have when I get to P4 again. So I'm sort of resigning myself to fixing 2 different entrees a good share of the time. So glad for you that your DH likes your recipes.

Anyone heard from Dana lately? Have been thinking of her and hoping all is well there.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #67  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Congratulations! You have been so inspiring and helpful for all of us. I'm so happy for you. I'll be joining you all in maintenance in a couple months it looks like and I've been reading the posts there - so consider me a lurker :-) Remember though, we're not JUST phase one folk here in the 50+ group. We're FABULOUS 50+ and that means you! and all of our members here.

Alright - totally "me" stuff to follow - sorry,

Kale chips are in the oven! I tried on the dress I was married in (small home wedding 30 years ago this November- no "wedding dress", just a dress) and it's about one size down from where I am now. It goes on - but isn't fitting nicely - yet :-) However, I am wearing some size 16 jeans today I had a great WI too, down 3.8 lbs. The only difference I did was to drink more than enough water daily instead of barely enough. so 120 oz vrs the 72 I was drinking. Maybe it was the exercise running to the bathroom? Anyway I'll keep it up and see if next week is a good one as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #68  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

JustSue, I also switched to alternative ($1.25 each verses $4 each) after the first 2 months. I hit my 'good enough' goal on the expensive stuff and switched to alternatives for the rest since I figured if they didn't work I was still at 'good enough'. However, I ended up continuing to lose about 2 lbs a week on the alternatives, and now I feel fantastic!

Congrats, Evepet! You win the perseverance prize!

Going for my Happy 56 Birthday dinner tonight at a fancy French restaurant. My son and daughter are also joining us! I never ever imagined a) that I would live this long and b) that my son and daughter would live near enough to me to come to a birthday dinner. We have lived in difference states for many years, so it is a double blessing that now we are within an hour of each other.

Happy Weekend everyone!

Last edited by Fishette; 03-15-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #69  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Congratulations! You have been so inspiring and helpful for all of us. I'm so happy for you. I'll be joining you all in maintenance in a couple months it looks like and I've been reading the posts there - so consider me a lurker :-) Remember though, we're not JUST phase one folk here in the 50+ group. We're FABULOUS 50+ and that means you! and all of our members here.

Alright - totally "me" stuff to follow - sorry,

Kale chips are in the oven! I tried on the dress I was married in (small home wedding 30 years ago this November- no "wedding dress", just a dress) and it's about one size down from where I am now. It goes on - but isn't fitting nicely - yet :-) However, I am wearing some size 16 jeans today I had a great WI too, down 3.8 lbs. The only difference I did was to drink more than enough water daily instead of barely enough. so 120 oz vrs the 72 I was drinking. Maybe it was the exercise running to the bathroom? Anyway I'll keep it up and see if next week is a good one as well.
Thx HalfAgain! I'm still staying P1 (or some combo of P1-P2) until I lose at least another lb - 2 would be better - so that when I regain some glycogen weight I'll still be able to stay below 150 as my ceiling. But I was so happy to slide into the 140s and 'officially' get to my goal that I couldn't resist posting about it. LOL. Congrats on the -3.8!! Woohoo! Drink that water!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
JustSue, I also switched to alternative ($1.25 each verses $4 each) after the first 2 months. I hit my 'good enough' goal on the expensive stuff and switched to alternatives for the rest since I figured if they didn't work I was still at 'good enough'. However, I ended up continuing to lose about 2 lbs a week on the alternatives, and now I feel fantastic!

Going for my Happy 56 Birthday dinner tonight at a fancy French restaurant. My son and daughter are also joining us! I never ever imagined a) that I would live this long and b) that my son and daughter would live near enough to me to come to a birthday dinner. We have lived in difference states for many years, so it is a double blessing that now we are within an hour of each other.

Happy Weekend everyone!
Yes - I think I deserve the perseverance prize! LOL. It's definitely taken me a while. Have a great Happy 56 Birthday dinner! It's lovely that your son and daughter will be joining you and DH.

GreenIris - Thanks for your kind words. I've been wondering about Dana too. I think of her frequently - in fact everytime I come into this thread, since she originated it. I remember her saying she was going to try Dukan to finish up. I've checked the Dukan threads here from time to time, but haven't seen any posts under her name.

Last edited by evepet; 03-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #70  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

Happy Weekend everyone!

Have a great dinner. You deserve it.
Molly
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #71  

It is so wonderful to read the posts here. I have popped in and out because my life is crazy, but love when I can get here.

Typical for someone 50+, I am sandwiched between the generations, wanting/trying to take care of everyone. I have recently (the last 2.5 weeks) been taking care of my Mom with Alzheimer's while my father has been in the hospital with an infection. He is finally out of the hospital and into rehab so I am hoping he will be home soon. I go back this tomorrow morning (after my IP WI) to stay with Mom, and my sister will come Sunday to allow me to go home. They live in a senior place with very nice dining rooms, but thankfully I have managed. My "go to" meal there is the salad bar (lettuce and a few veggies like cukes plus oil and vinegar) and the Black Angus burger with no bun and whatever the vegetable of the day is (or spinach or broccoli if that is no good). They have a nice apple cinnamon herbal tea I order after the meal, and I ask for the dessert to go (and take it home to DH). Sunday brunch has been more challenging--last week I had a mushroom omelet and I did get two sausage links with it. I know that is too much fat, but at the time it was the choice I wanted to make, and I did lose over 2 pounds that week even with that day.

I told my coach that the night my Dad called to say they were taking him to the ER and he needed me to come stay with my Mom, the first thing I grabbed was my food. Considering the stress I have been under juggling all of this plus my super high stress job, I am quite proud of myself to be staying on IP and continuing to see results!

Again, you are all inspiring! Right now I can shop in my closet for a while, but I am actually looking forward to some important work functions and a wedding in the next couple of months where I can dress up. I can't believe I have lost more than 30 pounds in 2 and a half months. I am usually such a slow loser!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #72  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:

Joysh - now that's handy, having a SIL who's a professional photographer! I'm looking forward to seeing your new pix...

Me too!

I'm a happy camper this am, because I've finally slipped down into the 140s! Hoorah! I've now truly achieved my goal. And just in time for my annual checkup with my Dr. next week. LOL. She'll be surprised. It's been 20 yrs since I was this small.. several times I've gotten myself down into the 170s since then, but I generally accepted that as 'good enough' and settled at that point. I credit the support here for giving me the persistence and motivation I needed to keep on working towards my ultimate weight loss goal and getting to where I truly wanted to be. Thank You to each of you for helping me achieve my goal here. .
Oh, evepet! How wonderful that you are in the 140s!! Congratulations!!

I know how you feel. I was over 200 and several times in the past 30 years I lost 40 pounds. The lowest I ever got was in the 150s. I just can't remember ever being the weight I am now. Of course, I'm much shorter than you, so I need to go lower. But it is an amazing feeling to be where we have not been in so long.

Quote:
Going for my Happy 56 Birthday dinner tonight at a fancy French restaurant. My son and daughter are also joining us! I never ever imagined a) that I would live this long and b) that my son and daughter would live near enough to me to come to a birthday dinner. We have lived in difference states for many years, so it is a double blessing that now we are within an hour of each other.!

Have a wonderful birthday dinner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
I agree with the thrift store shopping. Even though I'm in the country, we have a local thrift/charity store. They have the nicest things and cheap, cheap cheap. Pants and tops $3, jackets $4 and yesterday tops were BOGO. I got 5 for me and one for DH. Last week 2 jackets. I've found 5 or 6 pairs of jeans.
I agree with you and the others about the thrift store shopping, especially during the journey. I was lucky to have a friend who lost weight and was smaller than me give me her "outgrown" jeans for a couple of sizes. Other than that, we change sizes so often that it's hard to buy stuff to wear for only 4-6 weeks. I shopped mostly at thrift store, Ross, Marshall's, sales, etc. during my journey.

I'm pretty excited now because I think I'll keep what I buy now. That makes it extra fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
WOW!! Look at your new avatar! You're so very close now!!!!!

Thanks!

Anyone heard from Dana lately? Have been thinking of her and hoping all is well there.
I also wonder where she is and have been thinking of her.

Congrats to all who had a good week! Have a great weekend!

Last edited by joysh; 03-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #73  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocksinct View Post
It is so wonderful to read the posts here. I have popped in and out because my life is crazy, but love when I can get here.

Typical for someone 50+, I am sandwiched between the generations, wanting/trying to take care of everyone. I have recently (the last 2.5 weeks) been taking care of my Mom with Alzheimer's while my father has been in the hospital with an infection. He is finally out of the hospital and into rehab so I am hoping he will be home soon. I go back this tomorrow morning (after my IP WI) to stay with Mom, and my sister will come Sunday to allow me to go home. They live in a senior place with very nice dining rooms, but thankfully I have managed. My "go to" meal there is the salad bar (lettuce and a few veggies like cukes plus oil and vinegar) and the Black Angus burger with no bun and whatever the vegetable of the day is (or spinach or broccoli if that is no good). They have a nice apple cinnamon herbal tea I order after the meal, and I ask for the dessert to go (and take it home to DH). Sunday brunch has been more challenging--last week I had a mushroom omelet and I did get two sausage links with it. I know that is too much fat, but at the time it was the choice I wanted to make, and I did lose over 2 pounds that week even with that day.

I told my coach that the night my Dad called to say they were taking him to the ER and he needed me to come stay with my Mom, the first thing I grabbed was my food. Considering the stress I have been under juggling all of this plus my super high stress job, I am quite proud of myself to be staying on IP and continuing to see results!

Again, you are all inspiring! Right now I can shop in my closet for a while, but I am actually looking forward to some important work functions and a wedding in the next couple of months where I can dress up. I can't believe I have lost more than 30 pounds in 2 and a half months. I am usually such a slow loser!!
First, I want to give you a Sounds like you're going through a lot right now. You're doing wonderfully well with the diet - you certainly have every right to be proud of yourself. When you're able to swing it time-wise, maybe do something relaxing for yourself... maybe a nice massage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Oh, evepet! How wonderful that you are in the 140s!! Congratulations!!

I know how you feel. I was over 200 and several times in the past 30 years I lost 40 pounds. The lowest I ever got was in the 150s. I just can't remember ever being the weight I am now. Of course, I'm much short than you, so I need to go lower. But it is an amazing feeling to be where we have not been in so long.
Thx joysh.
-------

I tried something different (for me at least) yesterday, and switched dinner for lunch. I also ended up drinking more water than usual yesterday by about 20 oz. And when I stepped on the scales this am after getting up (starkers, and after a bm... tmi, I know lol)...I was happily surprised to find that I'd lost another lb. Plus the various weight training routines I've been doing for the past couple of months seem to be working - my scale has been giving me < bodyfat % and > skeletal muscle % these past few weeks - which tells me I am gaining some muscle weight. So I've decided to stick on P1 for the weekend, and then move direct to P3 on Monday. I'm sure if I'm diligent over the weekend I'll be -2lbs below my goal weight then, and this will give me two full weeks to phase out by the end of the month. Happily, just in time to enjoy a family Easter dinner as my first fun day.

I hope everyone here has a good day. Cheers for now.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Hi!

I briefly stopped by a while back. I was trying to get back on plan while having a nervous break down...Well, had another major stress - DM who has alzheimers has breast cancer and is going through chemo...I just had to go with my favorite illegal substances - IP illegal that is, perfectly legal in US! So I'm here taking it one hour at a time. My favorite off plan things I don't keep in the house. But I find myself scraping the bottom of the barrel. You ladies sound like you are doing well. I have gained back 18 lbs and have to lose it!

Goldilocks, I'm right there with you. Actually my sons (24 and 27) grew up and left home so I'm not "sandwich" anymore - just joyless. My DPs both with Alzheimers and other things. It is endless. And I am exhausted. But I was reading a self help book "Now What?" and had to make a list of things I hate. And there was, "I hate that I gained back 18 lbs!" So I'm trying hard not to comfort myself with those evil things at the end of the day. And I'm going to try to find the time to see my coach. I'm entering the bewitching hours now! Thanks for listening.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 285/285/200

Height: 5'7"

Default New and Learning....

I just signed up tonight and don't really know what I am doing.....just read your comments, wow, congratulations! I wish I weighed 140 again, I weighed 135 when I got married in 1974. I weighed 200 ten years ago, if I can get back to that, maybe I'll go back to 135? Thank you for sharing, I think your journey has been remarkable.

Quote:

Joysh - now that's handy, having a SIL who's a professional photographer! I'm looking forward to seeing your new pix.

Jampooh - Hi Again! Good to see you.. don't be a stranger!

Lisa, Alison, JustSue - ITA about consignment shops, etc. Picked up a really cute little windbreaker-type jacket just a week ago at my local GoodWill shop. I go in periodically when I'm in the area and wander around... I don't always find what I originally think I'm looking for, but almost always come out with something.

HalfAgain - Good to see that you noticed my post about my leptin studies. I'd forgotten exactly who had expressed interest back then. Yes, it's not what I call a 'relax' read. But it is worth the time, just to understand how all our hormones inter-relate and work to balance our hunger/satiety... not to mention how the better known hormones like insulin, thyroid, cortisol, etc. come into play and affect weight gain/loss/maintenance.

YesMyQueen - Another lb down! Way to Go! BTW - agree with Fishette.... you need a new pix!

-------

Closed Thread