Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #16  
Started IP March 2013
 
fitandfabfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 92

S/C/G: 176/163/140

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorun3 View Post
Hang in there! You will definitely have more energy after the second or third week when your body is utilizing fat more efficiently. However, it wasn't enough energy for me to run more than 3 miles. I only ran twice during my first 3 weeks & had lousy weight loss the weeks that I did run.

I weigh in today & I have a feeling I have gained since switching to the Alternative Phase I Plan last week but at least I have more energy to actually run. I'll keep you posted!

I am thinking my half might need to be a 10K and then do a half later in the summer after my body has released all of this extra weight. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to still keep a base of 2 to 3 miles .... but maybe after a few more weeks of this.
fitandfabfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Lyme, CT
Posts: 41

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I just bought a fairly new book called "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance". It might help you figure out a way to continue on a VLC (very low carb) plan AND lose weight. These doctors have recent research they have presented in a different book targeted for professionals but this one is for athletes. The Kindle version is very inexpensive.
Thanks for the info
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Lyme, CT
Posts: 41

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginettepv View Post
It was very hard to exercice first 4 weeks. After consulting with coach and trainer, we upped to 4 packs on days of training and lowered intensity. Weight loss is slow, avering 2 lbs per week. On weeks I have no weight loss, I lose inches. That got me down at first, but after talking to my trainer, we agreed it was better in the long run to lose inches and build muscle than have rapid weight loss. This helps me when I get down on the lower weight loss.

I have worked so hard for two years prior to IP trying to get well, it was very important to me not to regress. Also, my trainer has an enormous waiting list of people wanting to train with him and I do not want to lose my ideal times with him. I do see amazing results in my body even though the weight is slower than the average people. I know I am in this for the long haul. Now that I am in my 8th week, the zero loss does not bother me as it did in the beginning. I have still lost more in 8 weeks than I did in 1 year and half, so I am still way ahead of the game.
That is awesome! I feel the same way, I'm ok with the weight coming off a little slower
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I just bought a fairly new book called "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance". It might help you figure out a way to continue on a VLC (very low carb) plan AND lose weight. These doctors have recent research they have presented in a different book targeted for professionals but this one is for athletes. The Kindle version is very inexpensive.
But this protocol calls for very low carb and high fat. Isn't high fat and a massive amount of calories going to come with its own host of problems?
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #20  
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,219

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginettepv View Post
It was very hard to exercice first 4 weeks. After consulting with coach and trainer, we upped to 4 packs on days of training and lowered intensity. Weight loss is slow, avering 2 lbs per week. On weeks I have no weight loss, I lose inches. That got me down at first, but after talking to my trainer, we agreed it was better in the long run to lose inches and build muscle than have rapid weight loss. This helps me when I get down on the lower weight loss.

I have worked so hard for two years prior to IP trying to get well, it was very important to me not to regress. Also, my trainer has an enormous waiting list of people wanting to train with him and I do not want to lose my ideal times with him. I do see amazing results in my body even though the weight is slower than the average people. I know I am in this for the long haul. Now that I am in my 8th week, the zero loss does not bother me as it did in the beginning. I have still lost more in 8 weeks than I did in 1 year and half, so I am still way ahead of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
But this protocol calls for very low carb and high fat. Isn't high fat and a massive amount of calories going to come with its own host of problems?
Actually no. Read the science.
Gary Taubes has two great books too.
It is really the carbs that cause the problems. We've been lied to!
I'm doing IP b/c I needed more structure but I never felt better in my life than when I did Atkins. All my labs proved it, too. The problem is that I knew this time I'd need more help reigning in the portions, which had gotten wayyyy out of control. Atkins isn't the best plan (for me) for portion control. IP has worked like a charm.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #21  
SWP
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 75

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorun3 View Post
I started IP after I had registered for 2 half marathons so there was no way I could stop exercising. My coach said that he ran a half on Phase 1 so I figured I could too! However, I didn't have enough energy to run more than 3 miles (and that was hard too) so I switched to the Alternative Phase 1 this week. I feel great & have a lot more energy!
I love IP, but I also need to exercise ~ it makes my head happy
What does your alternative phase look like??? Do you just have an extra packet or two or are you including other food groups?
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #22  
Reboot 9/2014
 
scorbett1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,856

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
What does your alternative phase look like??? Do you just have an extra packet or two or are you including other food groups?
The Alternative Phase 1 protocol from IP is posted in the Newbies sticky thread at the top of the forum. There is also an official Athlete's protocol, which is different - if I can find the thread where it is posted I will link it up here.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 03-13-2013 at 10:26 AM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #23  
IP start date 12/12/12
 
mrskuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 356

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
The Alternative Phase 1 protocol from IP is posted in the Newbies sticky thread at the top of the forum. There is also an official Athlete's protocol, which is different - if I can find the thread where it is posted I will link it up here.
I've been seriously thinking about getting back to the gym at the end of the month. I'd love to see the athlete's protocol if you can find it! Actually, I'm gonna search the threads...if I find it I'll post it!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #24  
Senior Member
 
Momto2cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,729

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

I exercised throughout all my ip time.
Hard, bootcamp style weight cardio circuits, spin, etc.
After the first couple weeks I felt great.
I didn't always have an extra packet, although I always got in my oil salt and water.

I didn't lose any lean muscle mass. For the past 2 years I have maintained using a very low carb diet and revert back to phase 1 whenever I feel my weight creeping back up.

I think if you exercised before ip than continuing to do so is fine. If you plan to be on phase 1 for a long time you may want to evaluate if perhaps waiting to exercise until you are closer to goal would be better.

This is just my experience.

That said-I think it is very difficult to increase muscle mass on such a low calorie diet. Maintaining muscle is probably the best outcome, although of you have a lot to lose some of that will have to be muscle.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exercising "too much" for medifast? godown Medifast 11 07-20-2011 04:02 PM
15 WEEKS until Christmas!....Anyone want to start EXERCISING with me? Skinny4baby Exercise! 198 11-19-2008 12:37 PM
Itching while exercising? TaraJW Exercise! 16 11-01-2004 10:16 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.