Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/198/160

Height: 5'9

Default Exercising "too much" for medifast?

Before I started medifast, I was working out routinely and I'm pretty fit even though I'm a chunker. I gave myself a few weeks before I started at the gym again after I started on the program, per their instructions, and now that I'm back at it, I'm not having any stamina issues.

But I'm going to the center each week, and they do a ketosis test which measures your protein output. High protein excretion = possible muscle mass loss. My levels have been high for 3 weeks now, and the counselors have been pretty hesitant to do any adjusting to my diet, which I find pretty annoying because if you're not helping to adapt the program to my needs, why am I paying you for nutritional/medical consults? Anyhow, this week they put me on the 70 shakes vs the 50, and I've been trying to up my lean portion a little for more added protein, but I'm finding it hard to eat that much.

They're telling me that my 3 hours of spinning classes/week is too much. But honestly, why would I want to cut back on healthy behaviors? Physically it doesn't feel too taxing, or like I'm overexerting myself. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to cut back, but I want to lose fat, not muscle. Is anyone else working out routinely with success? Am I worrying over nothing? Because, you know, us ladies never, ever over-analyze and drive ourselves crazy
godown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

3 hours per week? as in 3 during a 7 day period? or 3 hours a day? cause if it were per day..yah it would be too much..but per week?? i dont think so...i would say thats healthy..strange that they would think its too much..only if you were doing it back to back would i be concerned with burning muscle instead of letting it repair itself.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Spin class is extremely strenuous. No one needs to exercise that hard, in my opinion, either for losing weight or just for being healthy. Harder is not really better.

If your Medifast center people think it's too much, then they would know, wouldn't they? Try some easier exercises, like elliptical/treadmill, and maybe some weights work (but not with really heavy weights). Remember that the program does not require strenuous exercise to lose weight. Your high protein readings indicate that your exercise might be breaking down your muscle--it's not necessarily the diet.

I often see people start a regulated program and then try to second guess it--like the over analyzing you mentioned. What's the point of that? Seems simpler to me to just follow directions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #4  
Fluffy but Battle-Ready

S/C/G: 251.4/235.0/130

Height: 5'2"

I understand. I, too, really enjoy intense exercise (once I'm in the routine) and am planning to get back to running once I drop a few more pounds. I anticipate struggling a bit to recalibrate caloric intake on this diet, which seems so precisely balanced between too few calories and starvation effect on metabolism and the "sweet spot" for maximum weight loss.

My advice, humble though it is, is calculate what your caloric expenditure from spin class is. Let's say its 400 calories (for the sake of argument). I'd then add an extra 200 calories to my diet that day, but making sure they are low-carb calories. As in, more Lean and Green. I'd try it for a week.

If an extra 200 doesn't do it, then maybe try 300, or even 400. The benefits of the workout aren't done away with if you replace the energy expended with food. And being able to workout the way you like AND lose weight rapidly would be worth it to me.

Good luck! Let us know how you deal with this, I for one am interested!
MairsieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #5  

3 classes in a week, not 3 hours in a day. I know exercising harder isn't always better, but the classes aren't strenuous for my body. I've been cycling routinely for 4 years, done several 100 mile + rides, one being fairly recently. During the class, I'm in my target heart rate zone. Neither the treadmill nor the elliptical get me to my target heart rate.

Regulated programs are fantastic. I, personally, respond so much better and have more success when things are regimented. However, everybody's body is different. And I'm not sitting around eating candy and wondering why the program isn't working as well as it could be. I'm partaking in behaviors that are healthy for my heart, my body as a whole, my long-term success, my mental state (ahh such great stress relief), etc. And don't get me wrong here, I'm absolutely infatuated with medifast (more energy, feeling full and satisfied without feeling gross, my skin is flawless and I'm not getting as many hormonal migraines - phytoestrogens ftw!). But I feel it needs to be adjusted slightly to fit my HEALTHY lifestyle and I kind of feel like the dietitians at the center are blowing me off to a certain extent.

Mairsie, that's pretty much exactly what I've concluded, so it's awesome to hear I'm not bananas Specifically, I've boiled some egg whites and I'm going to down a few of those before classes, then do a medifast shake with a bit of peanut butter (straight peanuts, no added nonsense) directly after. And I've been doing the soups during the day, so I think I'll cut up about an ounce of some sort of "leanest" protein to add to my soups. Will report back!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/117/ 113 to 118

Height: 5' 1"

There was a topic on this on the nurses call a few weeks back ( I listen to the recorded). The person was training for a half marathon, walking. That's exactly what they suggested, protein before and a little more later.

Good luck, I know by you tweaking it, you'll find what works for you.

Wow, a century rider- I bow down in greatness before you. That's a great accomplishment.

I'm into hiking, and have been doing so long before MF. I'll be using the same strategy if my hikes go over 45 mins and are at big elevation changes.
gardengirlkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to reiterate--a person isn't eating enough calories on Medifast to support long, strenuous exercise, especially at first.

Here is a link to the Medifast information on exercise:

http://www.medifast1.com/faqs/exercise.jsp

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-30-2011 at 11:21 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #8  

Thanks for the link, Jay! Based on my body's response to cycling, I don't consider it vigorous exercise, but even so, they state "We recommend limiting vigorous exercise to 45 minutes each day while you're on the 5 & 1 Plan." Which, between warm-up, cool-down, stretching, and transitions from one routine to another, 45 minutes is about spot-on with what I'm doing. And I'm only doing it 3 times a week. I don't think stopping is the answer.

Awesome, Gardengirl! Thanks! I love hiking too, but I'm in Houston so there's not much to hike around here. Which also means you should be retracting that bow. 100 miles isn't so bad when everything is flat Keep me posted when you go hiking!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I'm a little late chiming in here, but just wanted to say - MF makes some trainers available on their site to answer questions like this. I've been reading through the answered questions backlog as I'm increasing my exercise, and it seems the typical answer that Support gives is if your losses stall or if you feel crummy with your activity level, switch to a 4&2 plan (4 MF meals, 2 LGs). This increases your calories without increasing your carbs. You can always try that if need be.

I agree with your assessment, though, that your 1 hr spin classes (with warm up, cool down, and stretching) should not be too much for any one day on MF.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong - I thought ketone test strips tested the KETONES your body is shedding? Not the proteins. Ketones in your urine means that your body is using fat for energy. Ketones are a byproduct of a low-carb diet. Medifast is high-protein enough that it SHOULD be muscle-sparing...... I don't understand why your center is concerned with high ketones... Just means you're deeper in ketosis (a good thing from a weight loss perspective). ?? Ah well.

Good luck
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #10  
Fluffy but Battle-Ready

S/C/G: 251.4/235.0/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey godown! I'm curious as to how your losses and workouts are doing these days! I'm still only working out 3 days a week, at a very moderate level, but still thinking ahead to upping my intensity so.... forgive me for having a selfish curiousity!
MairsieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up Be your own best advocate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godown View Post
Before I started medifast, I was working out routinely and I'm pretty fit even though I'm a chunker. I gave myself a few weeks before I started at the gym again after I started on the program, per their instructions, and now that I'm back at it, I'm not having any stamina issues.

But I'm going to the center each week, and they do a ketosis test which measures your protein output. High protein excretion = possible muscle mass loss. My levels have been high for 3 weeks now, and the counselors have been pretty hesitant to do any adjusting to my diet, which I find pretty annoying because if you're not helping to adapt the program to my needs, why am I paying you for nutritional/medical consults? Anyhow, this week they put me on the 70 shakes vs the 50, and I've been trying to up my lean portion a little for more added protein, but I'm finding it hard to eat that much.

They're telling me that my 3 hours of spinning classes/week is too much. But honestly, why would I want to cut back on healthy behaviors? Physically it doesn't feel too taxing, or like I'm overexerting myself. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to cut back, but I want to lose fat, not muscle. Is anyone else working out routinely with success? Am I worrying over nothing? Because, you know, us ladies never, ever over-analyze and drive ourselves crazy
I truly believe you know your own body and emotional support needs better than anyone, even doctors, so be your own best advocate. Do what feels good to you and keeps you motivated and inspired. If you aren't happy with your current medical personnel, change to another doctor or weight loss center. If you buy Dr. A's Habits of Health book ($30 - Amazon) you will be able to be your own health coach. That book is my bible and after reading -- and re-reading it -- I would be willing to pay $130 for it. There is so much life-changing info. packed in there, and it covers exercise as well as nutrition and emotional issues. Good luck to you. Trust yourself, because we women DO overanalyze, but it's only because we care so damn much about ourselves and others, and the other great thing about our gender is that we were born with good instincts....so let's all learn to trust them, to believe in ourselves and the power we hold within us! Best wishes 2 u!

Sidanne
sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #12  

Talk about being late to a post...

So sorry it's taken me so long, I fail at the internets.

Abluvion, Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely be utilizing the trainers! As far as the ketones, I have a degree in science and it's still not crystal clear to me :P From what I do know, however, your body will use whatever fuel it can. Fat is more difficult to break down than muscle, and if you're depleting mass amounts of energy without the carbs and proteins to supplement, muscle will go before fat because your body wants the easiest nutritional source possible. I think that's why they were more concerned.

MairsieD, I'm doing great! I'm 10 weeks in and I've lost 30 pounds, yay! And that's with a 2 week vacation and my birthday thrown in the mix. I've increased my protein a little, increased my carbs a little by throwing in more higher carb veggies (per the medifast nutritionist, I'm being a good girl and following rules!) I've taken my exercise up a notch too. I'm training for a 100 mi bike ride in a few months, so I'm doing more work, but it's not necessarily as high intensity. I'm consistently losing 3 to 3.5 pounds a week, and my muscle mass is increasing. I definitely think upping the protein and carbs has made a difference, because there were a few weeks where I only lost a pound, if that. A few extra calories (the right ones, of course) made a huge difference. And I'm definitely listening to my body. If I feel like I need an extra ounce of protein, I'm not restraining myself. I'm not overindulging like I used to though either. It's been interesting to train myself to realize the difference of want vs need. How are you doing? Did you increase your intensity? How is it working out?