Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #61  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

I've been worrying about the hair loss since seeing that thread but so far I'm ok. Have fun at Disney!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
I've been worrying about the hair loss since seeing that thread but so far I'm ok. Have fun at Disney!!
My advice to anyone worried about hair loss would be consider taking biotin when you start the diet. From what others who have experienced hair loss say and what I've read in archives, it tends to hit around 3 1/2 to 5 months on the diet. Once the hair loss starts, there will be a lag time between when you start taking the biotin and when it starts to work of about another month. A lot of damage is done in terms of hair loss during that month. Biotin is inexpensive. I wish I had started taking it as a preventive measure. Hindsight is 50/50. Maybe only one in 10 or 20 experience hair loss, but if you are that one, it's pretty awful. Lots of people say they think the biotin worked, including my hairstylist who also takes it. Hair extensions are always an option in the short term, but I understand they are expensive and maintaining them is a pain.

Like Rainbow said with her situation, I'm not defeated and I'm not done. I'm just figuring out how to proceed. I'm hoping phase 3 for 2 weeks will give my body a bit of a break, slow the hair loss, and buy some time for the biotin to kick in. I've already decided I'm lowering my goal; I won't be "done" at 138 as I'm only 5' 2 1/2" which is still a bit overweight. Saw new pics of myself yesterday and realize I have a way to go still. I see the gym in my near future, too.

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 02-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Nolawhodatchick - So sorry about the hair I've been trying to figure out if my hair loss is accelerating too. I've noticed it more in the shower. I do think I am losing more than usual. Been taking Biotin, so we'll see. I'm also going to get mine cut off, it wasn't in very good shape before I started the diet so I think it's time to lighten things up. I did however, have hair loss after pregnancy too. Just got to not stress about it, it will grow back
Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #64  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Just checking in to let folks know that we are under quite a bit of snow, but everyone on my end is safe and sound I actually haven't been home since 3pm yesterday - I work at the hospital and they made everyone from my shift stay overnight, and the other unit secretaries were not able to get here from home this morning so I will be working 16 hours today. I'm just thankful I was able to get some sleep, they set up stretchers in some of the empty rooms for those of us stuck here. But I talked to my hubby, he and the kids are doing fine, we never lost power and they are shoveling breakfast in their faces right now so they can go outside and play in all the snow!

I was SOOOOO tempted to go off plan last night - tired, frustrated and the cafeteria was free with lots of pastry and muffins. But they were serving breakfast and I was able to get them to make me an egg white omelet with lots of veggies, and I have a couple of packets that I stashed in my bag to get me through. It actually feels GREAT to know that I didn't have to stuff myself with crappy food no matter how tempting it was!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #65  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Just checking in to let folks know that we are under quite a bit of snow, but everyone on my end is safe and sound I actually haven't been home since 3pm yesterday - I work at the hospital and they made everyone from my shift stay overnight, and the other unit secretaries were not able to get here from home this morning so I will be working 16 hours today. I'm just thankful I was able to get some sleep, they set up stretchers in some of the empty rooms for those of us stuck here. But I talked to my hubby, he and the kids are doing fine, we never lost power and they are shoveling breakfast in their faces right now so they can go outside and play in all the snow!

I was SOOOOO tempted to go off plan last night - tired, frustrated and the cafeteria was free with lots of pastry and muffins. But they were serving breakfast and I was able to get them to make me an egg white omelet with lots of veggies, and I have a couple of packets that I stashed in my bag to get me through. It actually feels GREAT to know that I didn't have to stuff myself with crappy food no matter how tempting it was!
Congrats on staying OP despite the temptations/obstacles. It goes to show how important it is to have a stash! I need to replenish mine...in my car, in my desk drawer at work, and in my purse. Even in the face of temptation, an extra packet is the sane choice. Glad they could make you that egg white omelet. Even whole eggs woulda been better than pastries! I think I'm going to make some IP valentine treats today.

I hope you get to enjoy some time in the snow with the family, too.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for your dedication and service, anyone with a career that cares for the rest of us NEVER gets a break! Glad you and your family are safe! Congratulations on a HUGE NSV too!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #67  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

I have had previous hair loss on other diets, but none on IP so far, in fact, I think some hair has actually come back! Reason being, some of the diabetic medications can cause hair loss (metformin, I'm looking at you) and when you are able to shed the medications on this diet, it starts to come back. I have been 100% for more than 5 months at this point, so I hope I do not have any hair loss, but if I do, I do.

That's funny how different clinics charge differently. Mango RTD is $39 at my clinic (8 bottles per). But we do not have an administrative fee that we pay on an ongoing basis - they charged us something on the order of $250 up front for admin and told us we are in for life.

CONGRATULATIONS Lisa on your clinic! You are the best coach and inspiration ever! Those people who are going to go to your place are so lucky - because you have TRULY walked this path!

I am starting my first alternatives soon, which will be multivitamins and calcium from a different source and a vanilla and dutch chocolate drink from a different source. I am a Melaleuca person (I just buy it I do not sell it) and they have the vitamins that are virtually identical for half the price, and also have the protein drink that is 5g carbs and 20g protein for about half the price as well. Since I have to buy a minimum amount from them every month anyway, I might as well start picking up those products. They do not have anything I would feel comfortable replacing the potassium with, so I will stick with the IP potassium.

BRRRRR! Listening to the wind roar past my house and glad that we are not part of the blizzard they are talking about on TV! Glad that I have some good IP soups/ soup recipes, it is a soupy kind of day!

ENJOY YOUR SATURDAY EVERYONE!!! : )
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #68  

Height: magmeepEVE

Nola, I hope your hair loss does stop soon. I agree with you on the biotin. I was worried about hair loss, so I started taking it as soon as I started IP. My hair loss has been minimal, and in fact, I'm getting compliments on my hair now. I'd say my hair is healthier than it has been in a long time. So my advice is also to start taking it as soon as starting IP. Good luck on your trip too! Have fun!

Scorbett, thanks for your service, and way to stay on plan!

Have a great weekend, 100%
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #69  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Scorbett I hope you get a to go home soon to be with your family. Way to go staying OP with all that temptation.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #70  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
My advice to anyone worried about hair loss would be consider taking biotin when you start the diet. From what others who have experienced hair loss say and what I've read in archives, it tends to hit around 3 1/2 to 5 months on the diet. Once the hair loss starts, there will be a lag time between when you start taking the biotin and when it starts to work of about another month. A lot of damage is done in terms of hair loss during that month. Biotin is inexpensive. I wish I had started taking it as a preventive measure. Hindsight is 50/50. Maybe only one in 10 or 20 experience hair loss, but if you are that one, it's pretty awful. Lots of people say they think the biotin worked, including my hairstylist who also takes it. Hair extensions are always an option in the short term, but I understand they are expensive and maintaining them is a pain.

Like Rainbow said with her situation, I'm not defeated and I'm not done. I'm just figuring out how to proceed. I'm hoping phase 3 for 2 weeks will give my body a bit of a break, slow the hair loss, and buy some time for the biotin to kick in. I've already decided I'm lowering my goal; I won't be "done" at 138 as I'm only 5' 2 1/2" which is still a bit overweight. Saw new pics of myself yesterday and realize I have a way to go still. I see the gym in my near future, too.
Sorry to hear about the hair loss. I am thankful that I don't have that problem but I also started with a thick head of hair so a little loss wouldn't have been noticed. I wonder if taking an additional collagen supplement with the biotin would also work? I've been adding some collagen (not just the packets) since early on.

Quote:

Good job at staying OP! You are showing how strong of a person you can be even with this kind of temptation and while probably tired or stressed. Your so close to moving to maintenance so no point in wrecking it all for a pastry at a hospital cafeteria.

Today I'm preparing for a quick overnight trip to Toronto. I leave Sunday morning and back Monday night. It is for a job interview of sorts with an old boss and a competitor company. I've only been able to tell one friend about the trip because I don't want anyone at my current job to find out. At this point I'm not even sure why I'm doing this though. I really don't want to move to Toronto but this guy thinks he can talk me into it. I'm nervous about the meeting because I don't know what he is offering but I'm not nervous because I'm not sure I want it whatever it is. Does this make sense? The fun part is that he hasn't seen me in a year because of other circumstances but someone else warned him that he wouldn't recognize me.

For my food plan, Sunday I will have to have lunch on a plane and a snack. I think I will make crispy cereal / chocolate drink muffins with zucchini and I have zucchini chips on the side or maybe cut red peppers. Then a bar for a snack. I'm having dinner at this guy's house. He knows I used to have strange eating habits so he checked with me on the protein and it will likely be seafood and I said no carbs, just veggies but didn't specify which ones were okay. I expect there will be some good options but just in case I'll have extra zucchini chips to have later in my hotel.
Monday, breakfast will be the other half of my crispy cereal muffin batch and lunch I think I could do a potato packet crumpet style to take along. I'll have more zucchini chips in my bag and I'm sure I can find a salad somewhere. I'll take a bar for the flight home and will be home for a late dinner.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #71  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Just checking in to let folks know that we are under quite a bit of snow, but everyone on my end is safe and sound I actually haven't been home since 3pm yesterday - I work at the hospital and they made everyone from my shift stay overnight, and the other unit secretaries were not able to get here from home this morning so I will be working 16 hours today. .... It actually feels GREAT to know that I didn't have to stuff myself with crappy food no matter how tempting it was!
Wow, Scotbett! What a wonderful NSV!!!! E en with the long hours and storm you have so much to be proud of! Goal AND the strength to stay OP during it all. WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
My advice to anyone worried about hair loss would be consider taking biotin when you start the diet... Saw new pics of myself yesterday and realize I have a way to go still. I see the gym in my near future, too.
Thanks for the biotin suggestion, Nola! I'm going to try it. And I agree, we all have to do what feels right for us.

Ok. I've been down with this throat for 4 days now. Just resting and drinking loads if water. I really didn't want to go to the doc for antibiotics. I guess if it's still here after tomorrow I'll go on Monday. We've got Monday and Tuesday off due to Mardi Gras break. Yup, Louisiana!

I was going to do a little more clothes shopping on Sunday. Going to a conference for 4 days on Wednesday. Hmmmm. I'll have to stock up on RTDs.
There's so much planning involved in this!

Have a great day, everyone! Stay safe, those of you in the storm's way!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #72  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
For my food plan, Sunday I will have to have lunch on a plane and a snack. I think I will make crispy cereal / chocolate drink muffins with zucchini and I have zucchini chips on the side or maybe cut red peppers. Then a bar for a snack. ... I expect there will be some good options but just in case I'll have extra zucchini chips to have later in my hotel.
Monday, breakfast will be the other half of my crispy cereal muffin batch and lunch I think I could do a potato packet crumpet style to take along. I'll have more zucchini chips in my bag and I'm sure I can find a salad somewhere. I'll take a bar for the flight home and will be home for a late dinner.
Wow! Great planning!! I guess I should make some of those muffins to take with me on my trip! I'll look for the recipe later. Can you tell me which thread it's on?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #73  

OMG a friend just sent me a recipe for asparagus guacamole. I'll post it in recipes. YUM! She used a little avacado. I'll just cut other oil & use that for fat instead!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #74  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
OMG a friend just sent me a recipe for asparagus guacamole. I'll post it in recipes. YUM! She used a little avacado. I'll just cut other oil & use that for fat instead!
That sounds amazing!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmommy2 View Post
Mompattie - LOOK HOW SKINNY YOUR FACE HAS GOTTEN! You look fantastic
Thanks!! I still see a fat face. And a nice haircut! LOL!

Quote:
Got my weekend planned out - with the snowstorm coming I had to plan on being called into work tomorrow and I already picked up overtime on Sunday. That means 3 meals and snack all out of the house, so I packed up as much as I could ahead of time! The kids and hubby are hunkered down for the bad weather, plenty of food, snacks, movies and games

I weighed myself yesterday and this morning - 159.2 both days! I also noticed I've been hungrier in the afternoon than I have been....so I think I may start Phase 2 today. If that is the case I'd end up doing about a week and a half on P2 before moving to P3, which is fine by me. I noticed that my measurements have not really changed in the last month, and I know that a few more pounds will probably come off in P2/P3 so I'm feeling ready. The nice thing is, because P2 just changes lunch from a packet to protein, it's something I can decide without planning ahead much.
CONGRATULATION ON GOAL!!!!
You are an inspiration!!! You are a leader here, a total babe, an amazing person!!! I am thankful we have you!!! I am proud of you!!! I respect you. I am soooo happy for you!!!!
Closed Thread