3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270781-maintainers-vol-9-a.html)

slow2lose 12-04-2012 02:30 PM

Hi all - just thought I'd check in since I start my second week on P3 today which means uh oh for this day next week. I still kind of feel like IP just cuts you loose at the most important moment. I think I'll still be doing the P3 Meal Replacements (that I posted about earlier) and some restricteds for a while.

My Coach amazes me - she lost about an extra five pounds in maintenance and never gained a pound and it's been a year - and she doesn't work out. I am definitely working out again and I hope I can stay where I am at. But I'm scared - I do love to pig out and am afraid of the urges to do so. I'm having one right now and counting the minutes till I can have my IP soy snack - what is it going to be like am not restricted to having an IP snack - what will I reach for?

Lizzy63 12-04-2012 04:49 PM

Hi, all! Finishing phase 3 this week and going to phase 4 on Monday. Can't wait! I am thinking I'll basically be doing phase 3, with some additions - nuts and fruit for snacks, a bit of cheese here and there... Loving my breakfast and it's going to be hard to give it up to do a phase 1 day following a cheat day.

I have learned so much from reading the maintenance threads - thank you!

Kate1188 12-04-2012 05:18 PM

Hi all. Phase 4 is going well. Just have a tmi question for you- my period has been mia since October when I started ip. I'm hoping its just my body adjusting to loosing weight so quickly. (Not pregnant!). I'm worried it might have to do with body fat % since my weight is in the healthy range. (Last weigh in body fat was 15.2%. I'm not a athlete and did not want to get too low). Any experience with this? I was going to give my body until January before I make a doctor appointment. I've never had cycle issues before and have weighed 121 most of my adult life up until the past 2 years. Thanks for your help!

locopollo 12-04-2012 06:03 PM

Welcome new maintainers! :D

infoplease 12-04-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate1188 (Post 4547778)
Hi all. Phase 4 is going well. Just have a tmi question for you- my period has been mia since October when I started ip. I'm hoping its just my body adjusting to loosing weight so quickly. (Not pregnant!). I'm worried it might have to do with body fat % since my weight is in the healthy range. (Last weigh in body fat was 15.2%. I'm not a athlete and did not want to get too low). Any experience with this? I was going to give my body until January before I make a doctor appointment. I've never had cycle issues before and have weighed 121 most of my adult life up until the past 2 years. Thanks for your help!

How old are you?
Besides the diet messing with things, sometimes our bodies make adjustments at various ages. Because 121 is arguably at the low end of the range for your height--even though it was your formal normal--AND your body fat is very low, the combination of the low weight and the low body fat % might be coming into play.

I did read where some girls/ladies lose their periods when they fall below the threshold for them -- in some cases that was 20% bodyfat (sorry, don't remember what site).

From Dr. Weil's site: For a woman of 25, a healthy range of body fat would be between 21-32 percent. This can increase slightly with age, to 23-33 percent for women between 40 and 59 and to 24 - 35 percent for those over 60.

That site also says that 12% is considered essential fat, and 13% to 18% is the minimum range that will support periods.

In general, if you have energy and your period is regular at a "low" bodyfat, then you are OK.

Others on this site have mentioned their periods taking some time to come back. To me, your plan to give it until January makes since as you were "dieting" for two months and you will then be eating on maintenance for two months.

In the meantime, lay off the cardio, assuming you are doing that.
What does a typical P4 day look like for you?

Kate1188 12-04-2012 06:31 PM

Infoplease- thanks so much for the reply. I'm 31. I stopped working out when I started ip in October. (I preveouosy did Yoga or barre method 2-3 times a week- nothing strenuous. I got burnt out running after my last half marathon in July)

When I started IP my body fat was at 22% so even though I weighed 136 my body fat wasn't too high. I want to have kiddos maybe in the next few years and don't want to mess with my fertility.

Tipical day- breakfast fage 2% yogurt with granola and a apple. Snack muscle milk light, lunch panera avocado chicken salad (dressing on side). Snack almonds or string cheese, dinner some sort of protein veggies & brown rice or other starch & red wine.

infoplease 12-04-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate1188 (Post 4547843)
Infoplease- thanks so much for the reply. I'm 31. I stopped working out when I started ip in October. (I preveouosy did Yoga or barre method 2-3 times a week- nothing strenuous. I got burnt out running after my last half marathon in July)

When I started IP my body fat was at 22% so even though I weighed 136 my body fat wasn't too high. I want to have kiddos maybe in the next few years and don't want to mess with my fertility.

Tipical day- breakfast fage 2% yogurt with granola and a apple. Snack muscle milk light, lunch panera avocado chicken salad (dressing on side). Snack almonds or string cheese, dinner some sort of protein veggies & brown rice or other starch & red wine.

OK.
One theory is supported--things got a little out of whack for you at age 30.
There is something about the 5s (25, 30, 35...) where bodies make adjustments (or maybe just where we notice them).

I don't think 15% bodyfat is going to be compatible with fertility for you. Is your typical adult body fat at 22% or was it lower until about 2 years ago?

As an aside, with IP you definitely lost mostly body fat, 13 lbs worth!

I can do some looking but maybe you might want to shoot for a total lbs of fat, maybe 20 to 25lbs (my coach likes to see women no lower than that). You're at a little over 17.5 now and that would seem kind of low to support a baby, don't you think?

The body fat percent stuff isn't exact, of course. Do you feel great/energetic and love the way you look now or are you thinking it might be a little bit too thin? Do you think the body fat percentage numbers are about right, or too low or high?

Kate1188 12-04-2012 08:11 PM

Infoplease- I feel much better once I went to phase 2-4. I did phase 1 for 3 weeks and that last week my body was DONE. I was tired and didn't feel right. The problem is that I ended up losing more weight in phase 2 & 3. (I was expecting to gain back the 2-3lbs of glycogen or whatever) At 118 I look healthy- I'm probably a 4 in pants or maybe a tight unbuttoned 2 at the Gap down from a 6 so I'm not super skinny.

This is going to sound dumb but any suggestions to up my body fat a little?

LoriKay 12-04-2012 08:13 PM

YIPEE!! I'm officially here! Phase 4 starts NOW!!!

Sadly it's 7:00 and I have NO IDEA what to make myself for supper. I will have to look around for phase 4 - no IP recipes on 3FC tonight. For now - maybe eggs with toast and then a salad. I think writing down everything I eat and all the nutrition info. is going to be a HUGE pain. I had a hard time writing down my breakfast, and this is so much more.

LoriKay 12-04-2012 08:14 PM

Almost forgot - When can we stop using extra birth control. I told DH I would ask today but didn't think of it when I was with my coach.

Momto2cs 12-04-2012 09:37 PM

I assume you can try to get pregnant any time now that you are in phase 4. If it happens than just stop the phase 1 days.

15% bodyfat is very low. I am under 20% and also rarely have Tom, and if I do it is very light. But I exercise a lot...and am quite muscular.

If you want to get pregnant you may have to reconsider your goal weight...you should discuss it with your doctor. 120 pounds at 5'6" is pretty thin.

Good luck!

LoriKay 12-04-2012 11:40 PM

Mom, I wasn't clear! No baby- I'm on BC pills but using back up. Do we still need the extra BC to avoid a baby?

infoplease 12-04-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate1188 (Post 4547911)
Infoplease- I feel much better once I went to phase 2-4. I did phase 1 for 3 weeks and that last week my body was DONE. I was tired and didn't feel right. The problem is that I ended up losing more weight in phase 2 & 3. (I was expecting to gain back the 2-3lbs of glycogen or whatever) At 118 I look healthy- I'm probably a 4 in pants or maybe a tight unbuttoned 2 at the Gap down from a 6 so I'm not super skinny.

This is going to sound dumb but any suggestions to up my body fat a little?

I think they way to do it is to up your maintenance intake a little.
You could either do it by increasing the portion sizes of what you are currently eating or add something. Maybe a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed on your yogurt at breakfast or a tablespoon or two of peanut butter? Add a fruit at dinner? Double the size of your snack (both nuts & cheese or 200 calories of nuts or cheese? Or, make sure you get a minimum of 150g of carbs?

Although quality of food really does count, there is still a calories in/calories out element as well.

I think adding fat could be done just by coming back up to the number of calories to support 121, which could be anywhere from 1210 to 1815/day.

I've also read where there is a kind of bonus week, where you've been in ketosis long enough that your body still burns fat even though you have added back sufficient carbs. Things might level out a little without any extras as you continue in P4, too, especially if you have a lot of "fun" on those "fun" days.

Not sure if any of that is more confusing than helpful. I am still working on the balance of food, exercise and timing, while not devoting the vast majority of my time to the whole thing.

Ishbel 12-05-2012 08:52 AM

slow2lose Welcome to maintenance! To respond to your question on the threads - I do a phase 1 immediately following my cheat day. I've found if I don't my body tends to hang onto the extra calories (and I've been told that the longer the glycogen stores are in your body the more change your body will assimilate them into fat...is that true or not?...if I don't have a good Ph 1 day then I see it on the scale...so for me it's true). I don't think you'll find one day of Phase 1 that hard with how busy you're going to be working on it. In fact, I find it hard when I'm doing it on a Sunday and have nothing to do. Good luck!

LoriKay Welcome to maintenance - personally I would stop the BC pills...your choice ultimately..have fun! :D LOL

Kate1188 Welcome to maintenance! Agree with infoplease reference your query about adding more cals.

Lizzy63 Welcome to maintenance!

So I'm up on the higher end of my range (not a usual number I see on a Wednesday morning) so it's a shake this morning...I find that when I don't have my usual breakfast I get kinda cranky about it. I had to do some internal talking today "it's ok, it's just something you have to do and it's only ONE morning". Anyone else get like that?

I think it's not a big deal but even after 7 months I still look forward to my Phase 3 breakfast that I eat EVERYDAY...(except for Phase 1 day on Sunday).

Hope everyone has a great day! :)

Lizzy63 12-05-2012 10:45 AM

Potassium Question

The bottle says to use this one only if your needs are not met by a balanced diet. Feeling like I have a fairly balanced diet in phase 3. When did all of you stop taking this supplement?

I will likely continue with a multivitamin and calcium.