Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

FitGirl- I do feel for you. It is awful feeling as though you're being punished with a pound even though you're doing everything right. Some thoughts? Try varying your menu/ calorie count just a bit 'to keep the body guessing'. This should include at least one phase 1 type day and one indulgence ( whether this is a day, a meal or just one item that wouldn't be a regular part of your diet. Just as you have to change up your exercise program if you want to keep gaining strength/ endurance so is it important to change up your eating. It doesn't need to be a lot. Just a bit. You may want to try having the evening carb only every other day and slightly increasing the fat in your diet to make up for the calorie count. It has been proven that physically active women do a better on a slightly higher fat/ lower carb regime whereas men tend to be the reverse.
Again, it is only a pound and we do fluctuate within a five pound window hence why you create a 'celing' and a 'floor' and there really is no need to worry until you hit one of them ( but trust me I know it still plays with your head ).
Good luck. But trust in the fact that when you're doing everything right it can't go too far wrong.
Liz- I am the same way. If I'm at home all day and don't leave to run errands or go to town then it feels like I'm fighting with myself so much more. I try to distract myself with chores and cooking but it only gets me so far. It is just simpler when it's not a hairs breadth away...
Day 13 of my reboot. Chose to enjoy my 'real' meal at breakfast today as I do love siting down with my family on the weekend mornings to a nice breakfast. Makes me look very forward to phase 3 when I'll be able to have a toast with my eggs.
Decided that we would go down to Calgary a bit earlier than we had planned. So we'll leave Monday rather than Wednesday. This allows us to visit with all our families rather than just a few... Which is special for the holidays.
Hope everyone is having a great per- Christmas weekend so far!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Fitgirl, it will go back down. You're doing everything right. The fluctuations can be frustrating! hang in there.

The Xmas goodies are starting to show up. I was so close to caving when chocolate chip cookies showed up. Instead I headed out for target to get some Chocolate protein bars...they're Zone with 6 grams fat and fairly low in carbs and calories...Hope not to much damage. They are SOOOOOOOOOOO Flippin good!

Store were crazy with people but all stores had enough lines opened so it seemed to be an easy trip!

Happy Pre-Christmas shopping/preparing to all too!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #168  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

New England: Good for you buying protein bars instead of eating that cookie. A friend brought over 20 different types of cookies on a plate this am. I finally put it on top of the fridge so I would not look at it. I think your reboot in short spurts is going well and you definitely have a plan for your trip to Ireland!

Fitgirl: The scale going up for no good reason is very frustrating. It could easily be water weight retention or salt intake. Hang in there. It should come off. It does help if you allow yourself a range so one pound up is not so scary.

LoriKay: When I have the time, I re-read the posts...sometimes I can't do that.
That is great that you are down a pound! Yes, more holiday dinners are coming!

Cap: 13 days of reboot is an accomplishment. I also feel consistency is so important. I may not feel like working out, but tell myself that is what worked for me, so I will keep doing it. I hope you get back to your classes soon. There is so much more than the scale..it is developing healthy eating habits no matter what phase you are on. Calgary sounds fun!

Lizr: I am off schedule also and home. It is hard when you are surrounded by food and people. That is why the cookies are on the fridge! Hope you enjoy your family coming in.

Yes, it is pre-holiday planning. I am going to figure out what we are having with my kids. Happy pre-holdays everyone.

Last edited by Maile; 12-22-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #169  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Liz and Maile - I agree that having unstructured time makes it harder. I am trying to snack on something healthy (apple, veggies, protein bar or shake) every couple of hours. I find that I can do this and still stay within my desired calorie range, and that way I am just not tempted as much. Off of work now until after new year's with kids and grandkids here... lots of temptation. But I am not giving in until Christmas Eve - my next cheat day!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
New England: Good for you buying protein bars instead of eating that cookie. A friend brought over 20 different types of cookies on a plate this am. I finally put it on top of the fridge so I would not look at it. I think your reboot in short spurts is going well and you definitely have a plan for your trip to Ireland!

Fitgirl: The scale going up for no good reason is very frustrating. It could easily be water weight retention or salt intake. Hang in there. It should come off. It does help if you allow yourself a range so one pound up is not so scary.

LoriKay: When I have the time, I re-read the posts...sometimes I can't do that.
That is great that you are down a pound! Yes, more holiday dinners are coming!

Cap: 13 days of reboot is an accomplishment. I also feel consistency is so important. I may not feel like working out, but tell myself that is what worked for me, so I will keep doing it. I hope you get back to your classes soon. There is so much more than the scale..it is developing healthy eating habits no matter what phase you are on. Calgary sounds fun!

Lizr: I am off schedule also and home. It is hard when you are surrounded by food and people. That is why the cookies are on the fridge! Hope you enjoy your family coming in.

Yes, it is pre-holiday planning. I am going to figure out what we are having with my kids. Happy pre-holdays everyone.
Okay, I'm just learning how to use my new iPad and can't delete yet

thanks for yor kind words. And good for you regarding those oookies you got! Come January 1 st I'll be ready for a fully committed reboot. Saw my parents today and my dad said I look good looks like I'm losing more weight .i told him I put on 25-30 and am now 15 overweight and working to lose it. So, for me it doesn't help being told I look good when I'm So overweight. makes me feel good about my looks, and then i feel i can slip up (doesn't take much). But, I'm on day 7 of a mini reboot and just need to keep going.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello successful maintainers! I have lost 80 lbs so far with 40 or 50 more to go. I absolutely plan to follow IP's maintenance plan once I get there but am curious as to why fats and carbs need to be separated? My coach didn't seem to know the answer and just said "that is what IP says to do."

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 12-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #172  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

New England: Keep going on your reboot! You can do it. You have already lost 10 pounds and the rest will come. I think your dad meant well, but one can be so sensitive to weight comments. I used to dread going home for xmas in Hawaii in years past as I did not want comments about my weight.

Lizzy63: I am off until Jan7. I am planning one indulgence meal on Xmas day. Hope you enjoy tomorrow night! My husband got into the cookies and now wants them off the tray into a box so he won't look at them.

I am off to exercise. I can feel the stress mounting as I have lots of cooking to do, I am making vegetarian moussaka for my son which is a lot of work.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #173  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Hello successful maintainers! I have lost 80 lbs so far with 40 or 50 more to go. I absolutely plan to follow IP's maintenance plan once I get there but am curious as to why fats and carbs need to be separated? My coach didn't seem to know the answer and just said "that is what IP says to do."

Ok - can't find my sheet that explains this, bit I'll take a shot from memory, and someone can jump in if I don't get it right. Carbs cause your insulin to increase, and that affects how your body stores fat. So, the theory is you somehow won't store the fat, or at least not as much, if you don't combine it with carbs.

Not sure of the science, but it's hard to go too far overboard on calories if you follow this rule. For example, I might have a whole grain roll or small sweet potato at dinner, but no butter. Or, at lunch I will have a spinach salad with chicken and oil/vinegar, but no carbs.

Breakfast is an exception - and my favorite meal!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #174  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Lizzy!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #175  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post

This might help a bit - it is from Dr Tran's website (the originator of the diet that became Ideal Protein) regarding the maintenance phase:

http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?article253
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #176  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Yes, I wonder if the rule doesn't help eliminate a lot of bad choices, because it seems like the really fattening things are both carbs and fats: potato chips, Mac and cheese, chocolate covered cherries...plus these types of things are rarely considered breakfast fare.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 155/111/115

Height: 5'5"

Merry Christmas Eve!! I hope that you all have a delightful Christmas...spent with making special memories with your family & friends!

I would like to apologize for my last post. I was fustrated; thanks so much for all of your advice Cap, New Englander, and Maile! At any rate, the scale is back down 1.1 lbs. I promise not to post my daily pound fluctuations!

Cap - I hope that you have a safe trip to Calgary...be sure to enjoy every moment with your families! BTW, great job with your reboot!

New Englander - that Zone bar sounds like a nice tradeoff. Just think it will get you to your goal a little faster (than eating all of those Christmas cookies) for Ireland!

Maile - I'm also planning an indulgence meal on Christmas day. Hopefully it ends there. I am sooooo tempted to try the goodies that I have given up for the last several months. Maybe I'll have a couple of bites of the items that I most likely desire. The vegetarian moussaka sounds good...what a lucky son you have!

I am having my family over this evening for dinner (I WILL behave tonight with no splurges). Tomorrow we go to my husband's side where I will enjoy my first FUN day. I don't plan to go nuts...as I know that I do have a weigh in on Thursday (I haven't seen my coach since before I went to Texas a couple of weeks ago!).

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #178  

Merry Christmas everyone!!! I have been so busy lately and starting to have some maintenance struggles. I know my problem is the complete chaos surrounding me! Parties, unexpected shopping trips, in-laws in my house etc... I need to get back into planning EVERY meal. Continuously learning lessons. TOM is late again so I know that is also part of my problem. I had a wonderful birthday yesterday because my hubby bought me a dehydrator! I am so excited to make zucchini chips today!

I hope everyone has a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 169/140/130

Height: 5'3"

Merry Christmas!! It's a phase 1 day for me today. I had a really good weekend! I love that I can eat & enjoy special events then get back on track quickly. I'm excited to have no place I have to go today, we'll probably go to church tonight, but other than that, it's straighten the house & relax. I'm looking forward to enjoying my teens. It won't be long and they will be visiting for the holidays instead of living here. Time flies & I'm planning on slowing it down for the next 2 days!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

cap Thanks for the post about the leptin and grenilin (sp?), I was listening to CBC this weekend (I'm old) and they were talking about those hormones when you get weight loss surgery. I knew when I read your post that I would be researching it more when I have time but then to hear it again made me even more determined. Proud of you and how well you are doing on you re-boot. I might not post everyday but I am reading everyday and I love how you're using the forum to keep you going. It's amazing how much strength you gain by reading AND posting

maile Girl, I love your calming posts...thank you SO very much for continuing to post and being the calm in my storm (even if you guys don't see my storm sometimes it's there! lol)

IdealProteinNewbie Fat/carb separation - Ok, so this is how it was explained to me. That when you eat carbs (sugar too - your body releases insulin for both) it releases insulin. So, insulin is the key that opens a fat cell. IF you have excess fat when you're eating excess carbs the insulin will open the fat cell and fat will enter the fat cell. That's the coles note version that was given to me. I'm sure there is a more scientific explanation OR if someone thinks I got it wrong they can chime in. But I can still see the diagram in my head that he wrote with a big key and a big fat cell. The only time you can have them together is at Breakfast - which is when you're breaking your fast. I 'think' it's because you're waking up your metabolism after a fast and because your body is getting the 'jolt' to wake up it can handle the two together.

new englander WAY-TO-GO on your reboot!!! You're rocking it and will definately be ready for Ireland!

LoriKay I have two window's open when I do a reply to all the posts. That way my post isn't MILES long for responding to everyone.

+++++++++++++

SO, the VIP is done Phase 1!!! His first maintenance day was yesterday (he had a potato). He's lost 49 freakin' lbs...I'm so dang proud of him. We went and bought him some new suits...when he put the jacket on I heard him say "damn, I look..." and he didn't finish so I said "was that last word small? or good?" and he smiled. So excited that he feels good about himself! He's full of questions about maintenance that I've answered over and over lol. I know he's a little nervous...so I'll be ok with that for a month or two until he finds his way. I just can't tell you how proud I am of him. My heart is full of love for someone who's bought into my way of eating and will do it with me, you can't ask for much more support than that. Christmas day is his first fun day and the fridge is stocked with pumpkin pie, whipping cream and coke and rum.

t'will be a guid day!

Last edited by Ishbel; 12-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Closed Thread