Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #1  
Jim V

S/C/G: 214214165

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Thumbs up starting friday

I have a meeting set up for tomorrow, buying product and want to start on Friday. I am looking forward to it . My wife will be doing this with me also.. I think one of the hardest things to give up is going to be the one or two diet pepsi's I drank a day. I liked the burn of the carbonation . Water just don't do it for me. BUUUUUT I need to lose to be around for my son. I am ready to kick some a--. I have been lurking on the forum now its time to start and maybe contribute if i can. Thanks for all the chatter on here.
jimvhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5"8"

You know I have found that carbonated water, like Pelligrino, can be a substitute. It might help you deal with the lack of soda?
dk8258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/247/178

Height: 5.3

welcome..giving up Mt. Dew was the worst ..i had headaches for a week and cravings for the first month but now i actually prefer plain water..i tried a zero carb zero cal no carbonation water yesterday and it tasted so strong..it is weird how are tastes change over the course of this plan
kmstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvhobbies View Post
I have a meeting set up for tomorrow, buying product and want to start on Friday. I am looking forward to it . My wife will be doing this with me also.. I think one of the hardest things to give up is going to be the one or two diet pepsi's I drank a day. I liked the burn of the carbonation . Water just don't do it for me. BUUUUUT I need to lose to be around for my son. I am ready to kick some a--. I have been lurking on the forum now its time to start and maybe contribute if i can. Thanks for all the chatter on here.
Fridays are a great day to start. That way if you go through carb withdrawl, the worst part is over the weekend so you don't have to deal with it during your work day. Good luck to both you and your wife.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #5  
Jim V

Default Thank you

Thanks for the soda idea, At present I am off wed. thur. And fri. is usually a 14 or 15 hour day. I hope I get through the first day without a sugerlow and sweats. One day at a time.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #6  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

this is why Diet drinks aren't allowed....All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT recommended on the diet. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. The protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other "protein type diets." Some diet drinks (crystal light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain a lot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body's bicarbonate buffering system. This goes for diet soda's too, particularly the brown ones. Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. This protocol provides so many health benefits besides weight loss, it would be a shame to compromise some of the benefits by consuming these products. Also- remember, an extra cup of water for every coffee you drink!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Good luck to you and your wife!! Enjoy your journey.. I was addicted to caffeine free diet coke. Seriously, what was I thinking! But just before I started IP (14 weeks ago this coming Friday), I bought a 2 litre bottle. Mostly because I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to still drink it. Funny thing is, I started driking the water and never looked back. I've had a swig or two out of the bottle once or twice during the 13 weeks, but the craving is simply gone. Hope the same happens for you.
rcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #8  

It is awesome to have a partner in this process. My hubby and I started 5 weeks ago and have been eachothers motivators. He has lost half of his goal. (26/50) and I have lost (13/20) I really missed the carbination too!
Mandi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #9  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrochet View Post
Good luck to you and your wife!! Enjoy your journey.. I was addicted to caffeine free diet coke. Seriously, what was I thinking! But just before I started IP (14 weeks ago this coming Friday), I bought a 2 litre bottle. Mostly because I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to still drink it. Funny thing is, I started driking the water and never looked back. I've had a swig or two out of the bottle once or twice during the 13 weeks, but the craving is simply gone. Hope the same happens for you.
This is my experience, too. I would buy 3 to 4 20oz diet sodas a day - I felt I needed them to get through all the stress. If they ran out of my favorite, it would just ruin my day. One time I was on a flight from Wash DC to San Fran and they had run out of diet coke. I was beside myself. Of course I was reading that new book about what really happened on the Donner party, who were going from StLouis to San Fran in as many months as my flight was in hours, so that helped me stop being such a whiney baby! Do you know that IP is not expensive at all if you are used to forking over the money I was buying diet soda every day!?

Quote:
I have had to quit caffeinated drinks on several occassions - always with a headache for about a week. I quit them again when I started IP, and I can honestly say they no longer interest me. That started after the first week. Hang I there! You can do it!
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstacy View Post
welcome..giving up Mt. Dew was the worst ..i had headaches for a week and cravings for the first month but now i actually prefer plain water..i tried a zero carb zero cal no carbonation water yesterday and it tasted so strong..it is weird how are tastes change over the course of this plan
A couple of weeks ago i found myself driving 5 hours by myself and was falling asleep at the wheel - i stopped and bought a diet pepsi (the first in 3 months) - i was sick to my stomach and had a headache 30 minutes later. Our tastes change indeed!
maddiefoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #11  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Good luck! I was a soda addict myself! And none of this diet or zero drinks either. I had a regular coke everyday and loved it. I agree with the others-- the first week is always the hardest. With me the problem wasn't hunger, it was the cravings. I knew I wasn't thirsty for coke, but my memory was. Soon enough I got used to water and hardly think about carbonated drinks anymore. Am on my 5th week.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #12  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
I, too, drank 1-2 diet cokes each day. I loved my diet cokes. But I phased them out the week before I started IP and now I'm really happy with life without them. I enjoy the water that I drink each day and I KNOW that my body is so much more healthy without them. It's hard to imagine life without dc, but it's possible!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 149/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Before IP my husband drank 156oz. of diet soda a day. Yes, you did read that correctly...156oz. Our coach said he could wean himself off it but he decided to quit cold turkey. Thank goodness.
Samkatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #14  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Good luck to you! Lucky you are doing this with your wife, it is hard when only one in on the diet, I have to cook for my family and it is so hard, I have to taste the food then drink I glass of water otherwise my appetite gets crazy, tons of support here in this site so you should be fine
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #15  
Jim V

Default Thanks

I felt bad poured out the last of my diet pepsi, start in the am work at 3 15 am wish me luck.....