Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/182/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Need Help with Vegetables

I am having problems staying 100% OP mainly because I am sick of the vegetables! I am a finicky eater and only can tolerate a few of the veggies...ie broccoli, cucumbers, celery, peppers, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for good veggie recipes that might help?

Thanks!
kdmcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/141.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Veg purees

Hi, try some of lizzr's veg purees mixed in the soups. The flavours will be hidden, and it makes it way easier to get your veggies in. Also helps to keep you super full therefore not wanting to eat off plan!

I find them easiest when I pre-make them, freeze and take out as needed. Like baby food, if you have kids
Im escaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #3  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

have you thought of roasting them? Veggies taste great roasted! I roast broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, etc!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

I really thought I would have no problem at all with the veggies because I love them. But....I feel I am on veggie overload. Sometimes feel like I can not stomach another plain lettuce salad with WF on it.

iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

If I see one more leaf of lettuce or "spring mix" I may poke out my eyes with a pair of scissors! I know the feeling! At the moment I am into raw broccoli and raw cauliflower. That will probably change next week! I did boil some cauliflower in chicken broth and then drained it and mashed it well and added a couple of squirts of spray butter. Not bad and"........................it wasn't lettuce!
capecodmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/209/140

Height: 5' 7"

Have you tried adding some spinach to your shake mix wit ice, and blending it up? I thought it would be weird, but so many people here recommend it, so I tried it and it is really an easy, non-intrusive way to get extra veggies in.
Bdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
If I see one more leaf of lettuce or "spring mix" I may poke out my eyes with a pair of scissors! I know the feeling! At the moment I am into raw broccoli and raw cauliflower. That will probably change next week! I did boil some cauliflower in chicken broth and then drained it and mashed it well and added a couple of squirts of spray butter. Not bad and"........................it wasn't lettuce!
Om my....I know how you feel. And before this IP diet I would eat HUGE salads, but I had my french dressing on it that I would love.
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiggy58 View Post
I really thought I would have no problem at all with the veggies because I love them. But....I feel I am on veggie overload. Sometimes feel like I can not stomach another plain lettuce salad with WF on it.

I love salads, but I also gave up on the salads with WF dressings, not my favorite. I now only roast my veggies, which are so tasty or I blend spinach into my pudding shakes every day. I also discovered roasted seaweed (at Costco) which I LOVE. There are lots of ways to get in veggies without having a salad. Almost forgot... I discovered jicama dipped in WF caramel dip. The dip by itself, not so good, but with the jicama dipped in it's really good. Almost like eating a caramel apple (if I close my eyes).

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 08-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #9  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I love salads, but I also gave up on the salads with WF dressings, not my favorite. I now only roast my veggies, which are so tasty or I blend spinach into my pudding shakes every day. I also discovered roasted seaweed (at Costco) which I LOVE. There are lots of ways to get in veggies without having a salad. Almost forgot... I discovered jicama dipped in WF caramel dip. The dip by itself, not so good, but with the jicama dipped in it's really good. Almost like eating a caramel apple (if I close my eyes).
DanafromAustin: I found seaweed at my Sam's club. Is there a way to explain what this tastes like? TIA!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #10  

Thanks for the advice Dana. I used to roast my asparagus all the time but I would smother it in olive oil! I've not been too successful doing IP. How do you do your roasted veggies?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #11  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Here's a link to the 'Veggie Purees' thread I started. I found that if I blended them down into mashed fauxtatoes, gravies, sauces, smoothies, etc. that it was a lot easier (and tastier) to get in the veggies. Get out your Phase 1 sheet and pick out a new veggie - look on this site, google, cooks.com, etc. and find a few recipes and give it TWO tries (always need the first experiment and the second fine tune).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-purees-6.html

Also I have a pretty pathetic 3FC blog - but I captured some of my favorite veggie recipes in it once:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/lizrr/
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I am so going to try the jicama and caramel dip! Thanks for that idea!!! I enjoy reading your posts!
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #13  

I know it's probably on the site somewhere but does anyone have a sec to tell us how to roast our veggies. I've done it in the past but always used a ton of olive oil and I've tried it recently with the 2tsp. allowed and they've not been so great. Any hints for those of us who need to mix it up a bit...........I can't stomach any more lettuce................
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/211.4/130

Height: 5'3''

fourstubbs and danafromaustin------will you please share how you roast your veges??? thx in advance!!
chsprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #15  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
I know it's probably on the site somewhere but does anyone have a sec to tell us how to roast our veggies. I've done it in the past but always used a ton of olive oil and I've tried it recently with the 2tsp. allowed and they've not been so great. Any hints for those of us who need to mix it up a bit...........I can't stomach any more lettuce................
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsprin View Post
fourstubbs and danafromaustin------will you please share how you roast your veges??? thx in advance!!
I scatter them on a cookie sheet, spray with grapeseed oil lightly, sprinkle with spices of choice, and bake at 350 ~20~30 minutes depending on the veggie. I do not count it towards my 2tsp oil allottment as it gets broken down during cooking.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote