Old 08-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Default Traveling this weekend and...

So, Im in Newport this weekend for work conference hosted by a medical equipment vendor. I told myself that I am following IP and will not fall off the wagon.

For dinner last night I had simple grilled halibut, salad without dressing, string beans and tons of water. I felt great...but, the problem is, that I was constantly being asked "why aren't you drinking?" or, "are you pregnant?". "What diet are you on?". I really didnt want to broadcast to the world what I am doing or explain everything, but I ended up having to. ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

First it was simple questions like those, then it became "come on, can't you just have a half a glass of wine?", " this cheese doesnt have any carbs", " i cant believe your will power, how do you do it?". My co-workers and our hosts went on to get very happy and buzzed, while I drank ice water all night.

We met people at the bar, and because I wasnt drinking and everyone else was, it was brought to the attention of everyone again, and more questions were directed to me and i had to again answer questions.

What do you guys do in these situations? I tried saying that I was just eating more healthfully and leave it at that, but I kept getting questions. Plus, I am not participating in breakfast or lunch with them, so I am bound to get questions about that too.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Simple as this: "Thank you for offering, but no. My reasons are my reasons and I prefer not to go into it. Please respect me when I say no, I don't want any. I don't need any. I am not going to go into it. I am not going to discuss it. Drop the subject, let's move onto something else."

Of course, I am also one of those that doesn't play games, so it is probably easier for me to say that without blinking, but that is what I would say anyways.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #3  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I have only been on IP for about 4 weeks, but I have way more experience with this kind of question. I gave up drinking 14+ years ago...

Anyhow, for me, it depends who asks. If I don't want to get specific, I just tell people I have a medical condition and I'd rather not talk about the details. That usually stops them cold.

I also often have club soda with a twist of lime when we're out, so everyone just assumes that I'm having a drink, even though I'm not.

It helps that I'm not exactly shy and don't mind putting people in their place if they are pushy about this!!
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote