Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1  
Started IP 6/27/12

S/C/G: 240/184/130

Height: 5'3

Default Switching to alternatives and feeling so ashamed

I am currently trying to make the switch to IP Alternatives and I am working with a coach. I have not told her yet and I need to because I am running low on IP products but I feel so ashamed. I went into this program 6 weeks ago thinking I could afford it but after my husband and I redid our budget there just isn't enough. I would love to keep my coach but I just can afford it anymore. I wish I could get over this sick feeling in my stomach and tell her. I didn't schedule a weigh in this week because I was out of town but I am sure she is going to call me soon. Any advise would be great. Should I be feeling this ashamed?

Last edited by jessicaolsonx4; 08-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
jessicaolsonx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/156/150

Height: 5' 5"

That's tough. I would feel similar, I'm sure. But, with that said, you have to do what works for YOU. Straighten your spine and be honest with your coach. Budget has changed, and I'm going on my own.
J bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I would not feel guilty or ashamed AT ALL! This program can be done on Alternatives, it is not a requirement to use IP products. You need to think about your family and budget first, if it helps - write out a letter to her, spelling out the why and your feelings - perfect it, get everything out there. But honestly, this can be done on alternatives. Your coach may surprise you and be very supportive allowing you to continue WI and measurements, even though you use alternative products. My coach has a lifetime maintenance schedule for us where we can come in for weights, BF%, measurements, etc. forever for free. If she truly wants you to succeed on this journey she will support you. If she's just in this for the money, then you have nothing to feel bad about.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #4  
Started IP 6/15/012

S/C/G: 150/133.5/125

Height: 5'5.5"

Don't feel guilty. I am doing strictly alternatives and for me,as long as I am losing and getting healthier all is good. yeah I would have loved to have gone to a coach but I learned alot here,got a journal,a tape measure,and placed my orders. I have been losing steadily since I started in June.
follyb girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/266/175

Height: 5' 6"

I was in the same situation as you. I thought I could afford it and things changed and I realized it is not going to work, I am now doing alternatives and still doing great. When I told my coach I just said I couldn't afford it anymore and said maybe I would be able to come back once the financial situation chagned. I didn't mention I was going to do alternatives and she didn't ask. She said I could come in and weigh in and measure anytime. It seems like you are more familiar with your coach so you may want to just tell her everything and see what she has to say. In the end though you have to do what is best for your family, dont feel guilty, I felt more guilty straining our budget to stay on IP than to switch to alternatives, your still on the plan just not using the brand name.
Raidensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6  
Started IP 6/27/12

Thanks for all †he adivse. I would love to go in and get weighed and measured but even with buying all the product from them I have to pay $10 for the weigh in so I will have my mother inlaw measure me and so on. That is $40 a month which could go towards a gym membership. Also I can go to the weight loss nurse at my clinic and it is covered by my insurance, so I may do that. I need to grow some balls and face the music. Writing her a letter is a great idea ;-) Thank you!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #7  
First Day IP 31 May 2012

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4"

I told mine via email, cuz I'm a chicken too. Her response was minimal as well. I ran into her when I went to the doc the other day, she commented that she hopes I'll come back so I can take the weight back off. I smiled, but knew inside that I lost 16 pounds the first month with her, and have made it to 35 pounds in the next 5 weeks. I'm doing fine.
GrandmaKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7'

You shouldn't feel guilty at all! Everyone has to decide what they can and can't afford. I am now doing alternatives because my husband is doing the program with me and we just can't afford to have both of us on IP!

Read through all the alternative threads. That's how I figured out what to buy. So far, so good for both my husband and me using alternatives.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

Height: 5'4

No feeling guilty kiddo. You and you're husband thought it out, it doesn't fit the budget and you are doing what is best. I have to admit I was floored when you mentioned you had to pay $10 for weigh in. I would be out of the office so fast, their head would spin. I have started using some alternatives products and still using some IP products too. But it is very expensive and have found good replacements from the alternatives thread.

This website is excellent for information and support. I have learned so much from people here. You can do this and no need to feel guilty or ashamed. :c arrot:
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #10  
Started IP 6/27/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
No feeling guilty kiddo. You and you're husband thought it out, it doesn't fit the budget and you are doing what is best. I have to admit I was floored when you mentioned you had to pay $10 for weigh in. I would be out of the office so fast, their head would spin. I have started using some alternatives products and still using some IP products too. But it is very expensive and have found good replacements from the alternatives thread.

This website is excellent for information and support. I have learned so much from people here. You can do this and no need to feel guilty or ashamed. :c arrot:
Thank you for all the support.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

I was also shocked to see you PAY $10 for a weigh in???!!?!?!
I buy my products and the weigh in and measurements are just part of my visit, no extra charge...

It just amazes me the differences between centers and coaches...
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #12  
First Day IP 31 May 2012

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4"

If you want "accountability" Try your local T.O.P.S. chapter. I weigh in once a week and the total cost is $35 a YEAR, can't beat that cost.
GrandmaKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Nothing to be ashamed about. My problem was trying to fit the clinic visits into my work schedule as the times they were open was not convenient for me.
I just sent an email and said I wasn't coming in anymore. That was the last I heard from the clinic.
I switched to alternatives and it cost me no more than my grocery bill would be if I was not on IP.
So it was a win-win situation for both time and money.
Pat

Last edited by patns; 08-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #14  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Don't feel bad...the thought has crossed my mind to swich to alternatives on and off for a while now... Surely your coach would understand.
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 303/see tracker/170

Height: 5'10"

I agree with everyone. There is no need to feel guilty. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it! You aren't quitting or giving up, so there's no reason for guilt. As it's been said, if your coach wants the best for you, she will support you no matter what. If you will be charged $10 per weigh in, I'd do what you said - have someone else measure me and weigh in with them! Good luck!
slimmingitdown is offline   Reply With Quote